• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee v1.0 should take priority over 1.2 in future tournaments

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Its not really something you can control. How the heck can you get all of one version CDs for a whole tournament? Seems unlikely, anyhow.. it makes no difference for me. ;) Even if I would take other chars.

Jockmaster

Smash Ace
Well, what Axe was saying is that anyone who gives a damn about using version 1.0 would carry it around with them so they could just whip out their own disc when they request to play that version.

:phone:

j3ly

Smash Champion
bumping this because it makes sense. Also, I'd like to know what happens to Pikachu in 1.0, and what happened with Axe in that set.

Axe - how can you forget about pichus fsmash..

uair -> fmash is basically pichus low % game plan!

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Lol I've only ever used that like once...
Uair->dtilt is better in non-v.1.0

Also Axe doesn't use Pichu, so you can't blame him ;)

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Axe - how can you forget about pichus fsmash..

uair -> fmash is basically pichus low % game plan!
Since the multi-hits never stale below 1%, they're equally SDIable in all versions of Melee. Exposed.

PICHU IS A FRAUD

obv :172:

AXE 09

Smash Master
You can actually still SDI it in 1.0 lol. That's why I didn't say anything about Pichu.

@J3ly: What happened to me in what set? Lol

:phone:

Izuhu

Smash Journeyman
They should add a rule to MBR Ruleset called DVSing or LTR (Disc Version Swapping) or (Low Tier Respect). So if a person mains a lower tier char and has significant buffs in another version like 1.0 for ex. The player should have the opportunity to switch over to that version seeing that he has to play try hard anyways against higher tier chars. It's just respect to those who main low tier characters.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
They should add a rule to MBR Ruleset called DVSing or LTR (Disc Version Swapping) or (Low Tier Respect). So if a person mains a lower tier char and has significant buffs in another version like 1.0 for ex. The player should have the opportunity to switch over to that version seeing that he has to play try hard anyways against higher tier chars. It's just respect to those who main low tier characters.
Well maybe we should start playing Vanilla SF4 to have better matchups than in AE. That makes sense right?

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Kage, the difference is that AE is standard. You don't see vanilla SSF4.
In smash, we play all the NTSC versions at the same tournaments. This means your character is different depending on which setup you play on.
1.0 is slightly more balanced, therefore; it should be standard (if available) and a player should be able to opt to play it.

Theftz22

Smash Lord
The thing is that AE is more balanced than vanilla and has more characters. 1.2 is less balanced with same amount of characters.

Izuhu

Smash Journeyman
Kage, the difference is that AE is standard. You don't see vanilla SSF4.
In smash, we play all the NTSC versions at the same tournaments. This means your character is different depending on which setup you play on.
1.0 is slightly more balanced, therefore; it should be standard (if available) and a player should be able to opt to play it.
Pretty much explains it.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
We can use SD remix once it's released... hopefully that's the plan already.
Only difficulty in that is having enough modded wiis to run it on in tourneys.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
not enough people will mod their wiis, SDremix will be a side event (like P:M) because people are lazy.

Massive

Smash Champion
We can use SD remix once it's released... hopefully that's the plan already.
Only difficulty in that is having enough modded wiis to run it on in tourneys.
That's never, ever going to happen.
99% of setups at smash tournaments are gamecubes, and gamecube ARs get harder to find every day.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Time for everyone to switch over to emulators maybe?

Just let me live in my fantasy
Melee really needs a balance patch
Too bad we are too set in our ways

SuperMrJMT

Jordan M. Tannenbaum
NNID
SuperMrJMT
3DS FC
1805-2622-6991
I really think this should be looked into again. Especially now that 20XX will be offering the option to use 1.0 hitlag even with a 1.2 disc, it would be easier than ever for the community to implement this change into the standard ruleset. As a Zelda main, it's unbelievably frustrating to go through the trouble of making a successful read, managing to land a punish, and then ultimately to end up getting killed for doing so because Nintendo broke my smash attacks in the game version that happens to be in this particular setup.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
I really think this should be looked into again. Especially now that 20XX will be offering the option to use 1.0 hitlag even with a 1.2 disc, it would be easier than ever for the community to implement this change into the standard ruleset. As a Zelda main, it's unbelievably frustrating to go through the trouble of making a successful read, managing to land a punish, and then ultimately to end up getting killed for doing so because Nintendo broke my smash attacks in the game version that happens to be in this particular setup.
I'm not sure that standardization of a game disc is a good idea... People can't be too particular about setups and I know more people with 1.2 discs than 1.1 or 1.0. I see your argument of 20XX making those game discs use 1.0 stuff, but 1.2 is the most recent legitimate release in this region; it makes sense to use this version. They fixed those features for a reason, and that's because they weren't supposed to be there in the first place. There are a lot of people I know who have no 20XX cards or no 1.0 discs and either use a GC or don't want to hack their Wii, and we can't afford to lose too many setups or else the tourney will run badly. You may live in a lair of 1.0 discs, but I feel like disc standardization is an unneeded restriction that could seriously hurt communities with little hardware to work with. The point Kage made three years ago still holds true today, despite recent advancements in memory card technology; it would be very restrictive on TOs to have a standardized version. The affected population is simply too low to justify the changes.

SuperMrJMT

Jordan M. Tannenbaum
NNID
SuperMrJMT
3DS FC
1805-2622-6991
I'm not sure that standardization of a game disc is a good idea... People can't be too particular about setups and I know more people with 1.2 discs than 1.1 or 1.0. I see your argument of 20XX making those game discs use 1.0 stuff, but 1.2 is the most recent legitimate release in this region; it makes sense to use this version. They fixed those features for a reason, and that's because they weren't supposed to be there in the first place. There are a lot of people I know who have no 20XX cards or no 1.0 discs and either use a GC or don't want to hack their Wii, and we can't afford to lose too many setups or else the tourney will run badly. You may live in a lair of 1.0 discs, but I feel like disc standardization is an unneeded restriction that could seriously hurt communities with little hardware to work with. The point Kage made three years ago still holds true today, despite recent advancements in memory card technology; it would be very restrictive on TOs to have a standardized version. The affected population is simply too low to justify the changes.
I don't live in a lair of 1.0 discs. As a player who is greatly affected by the changes in 1.2, I went out of my way to find one on my own to bring with me to tournaments. We're not asking for every setup to run 1.0 all the time. As most of the common characters aren't changed in the slightest, it would be silly to do that. Low-tier mains who care enough will bring their own discs and memory cards. We just want the option to request using them when we play. If a low-tier main doesn't take on this task themselves, then of course they'll just play with what is provided. No one wants to delay the tournament, and my point with the 20XX memory cards was that now we don't even need to take the small amount of time to swap discs to make the change.

As for the case that 1.2 being the most recent version put out by Nintendo should automatically make it the standard, I'd really have to disagree. The entire competitive Melee scene and ruleset has nothing to do with what Nintendo intended. We ban items, restrict stages, and even prohibit the use of certain tactics like stalling. With our knowledge of the metagame and of each character's relative strength, it's pretty clear that 1.0 is the most balanced NTSC version, which should make it the standard version for competitive play if given the option.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
I don't live in a lair of 1.0 discs. As a player who is greatly affected by the changes in 1.2, I went out of my way to find one on my own to bring with me to tournaments. We're not asking for every setup to run 1.0 all the time. As most of the common characters aren't changed in the slightest, it would be silly to do that. Low-tier mains who care enough will bring their own discs and memory cards. We just want the option to request using them when we play. If a low-tier main doesn't take on this task themselves, then of course they'll just play with what is provided. No one wants to delay the tournament, and my point with the 20XX memory cards was that now we don't even need to take the small amount of time to swap discs to make the change.
I still don't think there is a large enough difference between 1.0 and 1.2 to determine the outcome of a match for anyone but Link, YL and possibly Ness, but I'd be fine with people requesting their disc to be played (as long as the disc isn't scratched so that Melee doesn't function properly). I don't know why you're so intent on stating that Zelda was nurfed in 1.2, though; she didn't change at all.
As for the case that 1.2 being the most recent version put out by Nintendo should automatically make it the standard, I'd really have to disagree. The entire competitive Melee scene and ruleset has nothing to do with what Nintendo intended. We ban items, restrict stages, and even prohibit the use of certain tactics like stalling. With our knowledge of the metagame and of each character's relative strength, it's pretty clear that 1.0 is the most balanced NTSC version, which should make it the standard version for competitive play if given the option.
Banning items and restricting stages are a part of the game; that's why there's an option to turn off all items and change the stage select. Nintendo gave us core mechanics to work with and we haven't ever banned them; we have banned some glitches (like the Freeze glitch) and two types of stalling (to avoid timer abuse) because they are unintended consequences to poor game design, but we have never messed with the mechanics or balancing of the game and called it a "Melee" tournament. Also, does Sm4sh use the latest version? Does PM use the latest version? The answer to both is yes. Neither are the most balanced iterations of its respective game, but both are played on the most recent version; why shouldn't Melee be the same? I still think that a standardized game version is a dumb idea, but the latest version per region should be a standard for any game (and is for pretty much every other fighting game, as well as nearly every other eSport).

SuperMrJMT

Jordan M. Tannenbaum
NNID
SuperMrJMT
3DS FC
1805-2622-6991
I still don't think there is a large enough difference between 1.0 and 1.2 to determine the outcome of a match for anyone but Link, YL and possibly Ness, but I'd be fine with people requesting their disc to be played (as long as the disc isn't scratched so that Melee doesn't function properly). I don't know why you're so intent on stating that Zelda was nurfed in 1.2, though; she didn't change at all.
Alright, so the fact that Zelda doesn't show up directly on the list of characters changed in 1.0 has apparently led to some misinformation. Allow me to explain why exactly it is that the game version can and will directly contribute to either winning or losing a match. In 1.0, if a move deals less than 1% damage it has no hitlag, meaning SDI is impossible to perform. Numerous multi-hit moves whose individual hits deal less than 1% by themselves, such as Young Link/Samus's up-b attacks and Zelda's forward/up smashes, were clearly designed around this mechanic being in place. They start with a bunch of little hits which link into a more powerful one.

In 1.2, a change was made allowing moves that are supposed to have hitlag normally to continue to have it even if they stale to less than 1%. However, in doing this, they screwed up and made it so that ALL hitboxes that do less than 1% were affected, including the ones in these multi-hit attacks. This basically means that an opponent can get hit by one of these moves, and SDI on the hitlag frames of the little hits in order to avoid the final hit entirely. The end result is getting hit by something like a fully charged Zelda f-smash and taking only 1-2% with no knockback whatsoever.

But that's not where it ends. Zelda's up-smash out of shield is, by far, her OoS option with the best frame data. In many shield pressure situations in fact, it's her only option fast enough to combat certain things, such as Falco dair-shines. With the added 1.2 hitlag on Zelda's up-smash, not only does SDI allow the opponent to avoid taking any damage or knockback from it, but they can SDI down back into the ground, ending up standing below the hitboxes being created above Zelda's head. Zelda will be stuck waving her arms up in the air while the opponent can do whatever they want against a helpless opponent, whether it be a Falco down-tilt or a Fox up-smash. It completely destroys any use the move has against an opponent who knows what they're doing. The difference is that of having a usable OoS option and not having one. It absolutely plays a huge factor in the ultimate outcome of the match. If that doesn't amount to "unintended consequences to poor game design" I don't know what does.

Banning items and restricting stages are a part of the game; that's why there's an option to turn off all items and change the stage select. Nintendo gave us core mechanics to work with and we haven't ever banned them; we have banned some glitches (like the Freeze glitch) and two types of stalling (to avoid timer abuse) because they are unintended consequences to poor game design, but we have never messed with the mechanics or balancing of the game and called it a "Melee" tournament. Also, does Sm4sh use the latest version? Does PM use the latest version? The answer to both is yes. Neither are the most balanced iterations of its respective game, but both are played on the most recent version; why shouldn't Melee be the same? I still think that a standardized game version is a dumb idea, but the latest version per region should be a standard for any game (and is for pretty much every other fighting game, as well as nearly every other eSport).
Why SHOULD it be the same? Melee isn't your typical eSport. We play on CRTs using 15-year-old hardware from a time when patches and updates as we know them now didn't exist. Perhaps because of that, as of right now, the standards are completely silent on this matter. If you go to your local tournament, chances are that you'll have a mixed bag of 1.0, 1.1, and 1.2 setups, without most players even noticing. But why would they? It simply does not matter if you use higher-tier characters. If you have a match between a Fox and a Sheik, the changes in the game versions have absolutely no effect on the match, so you wouldn't bother with knowing what version you're playing on. However, if you have a match between a Fox and a Link, the game version can have a huge effect on the match. In a competitive environment, why would you possibly want to have what goes on during gameplay be decided by what setup in the venue you and your opponent happen to sit down to play at?

Maybe people are getting too caught up on the phrase "standard version" without realize what is actually meant by that. Basically, all that it means is that it would only take one player to make the request that the game be played on that particular version. Keep in mind that even without this, there's a good chance that it's going to end up being played on that version anyways. Think of it like a neutral start rule, rather than something like a gentleman's clause.

Really, all that we want is a little note in the Smashboards Melee General Rules, saying something like, "Either player may request to play on Melee v1.0, if provided." For most players, that won't ever come up. But if it does, it will lead to a better experience for the game as a whole. Having a standardized version will, only when applicable, remove an element of chance that has no place in a tournament environment. So either way, this really needs to be addressed. But with 1.0 as the standard, a more balanced roster will encourage more character diversity, which can make the game more interesting for spectators. For the eSport value of Melee as a whole, standardization would do nothing but improve it. I just can't see why this is a bad thing just because it hasn't been done with other games that are in situations different than ours.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Alright, so the fact that Zelda doesn't show up directly on the list of characters changed in 1.0 has apparently led to some misinformation. Allow me to explain why exactly it is that the game version can and will directly contribute to either winning or losing a match. In 1.0, if a move deals less than 1% damage it has no hitlag, meaning SDI is impossible to perform. Numerous multi-hit moves whose individual hits deal less than 1% by themselves, such as Young Link/Samus's up-b attacks and Zelda's forward/up smashes, were clearly designed around this mechanic being in place. They start with a bunch of little hits which link into a more powerful one.

In 1.2, a change was made allowing moves that are supposed to have hitlag normally to continue to have it even if they stale to less than 1%. However, in doing this, they screwed up and made it so that ALL hitboxes that do less than 1% were affected, including the ones in these multi-hit attacks. This basically means that an opponent can get hit by one of these moves, and SDI on the hitlag frames of the little hits in order to avoid the final hit entirely. The end result is getting hit by something like a fully charged Zelda f-smash and taking only 1-2% with no knockback whatsoever.

But that's not where it ends. Zelda's up-smash out of shield is, by far, her OoS option with the best frame data. In many shield pressure situations in fact, it's her only option fast enough to combat certain things, such as Falco dair-shines. With the added 1.2 hitlag on Zelda's up-smash, not only does SDI allow the opponent to avoid taking any damage or knockback from it, but they can SDI down back into the ground, ending up standing below the hitboxes being created above Zelda's head. Zelda will be stuck waving her arms up in the air while the opponent can do whatever they want against a helpless opponent, whether it be a Falco down-tilt or a Fox up-smash. It completely destroys any use the move has against an opponent who knows what they're doing. The difference is that of having a usable OoS option and not having one. It absolutely plays a huge factor in the ultimate outcome of the match. If that doesn't amount to "unintended consequences to poor game design" I don't know what does.
OK, that makes more sense.

Why SHOULD it be the same? Melee isn't your typical eSport. We play on CRTs using 15-year-old hardware from a time when patches and updates as we know them now didn't exist. Perhaps because of that, as of right now, the standards are completely silent on this matter. If you go to your local tournament, chances are that you'll have a mixed bag of 1.0, 1.1, and 1.2 setups, without most players even noticing. But why would they? It simply does not matter if you use higher-tier characters. If you have a match between a Fox and a Sheik, the changes in the game versions have absolutely no effect on the match, so you wouldn't bother with knowing what version you're playing on. However, if you have a match between a Fox and a Link, the game version can have a huge effect on the match. In a competitive environment, why would you possibly want to have what goes on during gameplay be decided by what setup in the venue you and your opponent happen to sit down to play at?

Maybe people are getting too caught up on the phrase "standard version" without realize what is actually meant by that. Basically, all that it means is that it would only take one player to make the request that the game be played on that particular version. Keep in mind that even without this, there's a good chance that it's going to end up being played on that version anyways. Think of it like a neutral start rule, rather than something like a gentleman's clause.

Really, all that we want is a little note in the Smashboards Melee General Rules, saying something like, "Either player may request to play on Melee v1.0, if provided." For most players, that won't ever come up. But if it does, it will lead to a better experience for the game as a whole. Having a standardized version will, only when applicable, remove an element of chance that has no place in a tournament environment. So either way, this really needs to be addressed. But with 1.0 as the standard, a more balanced roster will encourage more character diversity, which can make the game more interesting for spectators. For the eSport value of Melee as a whole, standardization would do nothing but improve it. I just can't see why this is a bad thing just because it hasn't been done with other games that are in situations different than ours.
The only downside I can think of is that it would slow down tournaments when it happens (you would have to switch out discs or cards, play a set, then switch back; that whole process would add about a minute to the set time). Other than that, I see no reason to not give people the option of what version to play on. I would add that this shouldn't be done mid-set, as it could reset the momentum and possibly play a bigger part in the outcome of the game than the version being played.

SuperMrJMT

Jordan M. Tannenbaum
NNID
SuperMrJMT
3DS FC
1805-2622-6991
This is just crazy at this day and age. Melee discs are too expensive.

Play on.
These types of responses are exactly why I believe that adding a clause to the Official Smashboards Melee Ruleset is the single most important thing that can be done with regards to this issue. When this topic is brought up, many people react with these types of initial concerns that don't actually have any relation to what is being proposed. Just look at this thread; you have the same arguments, such as potential disc scarcity and downplaying of the impact it would actually have on matches, being brought up again and again. It takes a great deal of explaining for people to actually realize what we are asking for and how easily it could be put into effect at tournaments. In fact, AXE 09 AXE 09 , if you would be willing to edit your initial post to address some of these instinctual, but ultimately unrelated, concerns and to include some of the points and clarifications that have been made made over the course of the thread, that might help reduce misunderstanding from people who only look at the first page. Maybe adding a poll or something as well could be useful in order to gauge relative interest from people who are not posting.

The big problem is that, when approached about this topic for the first time, many TOs have the exact same initial concerns with it. Some of them are willing to hear you out, and make an informed decision. But numerous small-town locals across the country, and even many bigger tournaments, just grab their rulesets from Smashboards and just automatically dismiss anything not covered in them without giving it any thought. That's why I think it's so critical to add, "Either player may request to play on Melee v1.0, if provided." to the rules listed on this site. It would give this issue, which is very real and needs addressing, more validity in the eyes of those without a full understanding or even a desire to learn about it.

A lack of awareness and comprehension is the biggest obstacle in the way of making this change. My biggest hope for 20XX, and why I think now is the perfect time to bring up this topic once more, was that it would bring knowledge of the existence of this issue to a wider audience. It's easier than ever for us to make this change, and I think it's long overdue.

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
The OP has a good point. But in any case, you have to think realistically. Nowadays, a defective disc costs almost as much as a working melee disc did back then. Is it worth all the hassle of locating and purchasing the right melee discs, and changing the standard on everyone, for such little gain?

PAL is more balanced. Automatically switch to PAL?

SuperMrJMT

Jordan M. Tannenbaum
NNID
SuperMrJMT
3DS FC
1805-2622-6991
The OP has a good point. But in any case, you have to think realistically. Nowadays, a defective disc costs almost as much as a working melee disc did back then. Is it worth all the hassle of locating and purchasing the right melee discs, and changing the standard on everyone, for such little gain?

PAL is more balanced. Automatically switch to PAL?
Those who are affected by it will care enough to bring their own copy. If that isn't worth it to them, then they'll play on what's available.

Given the option, I actually do think that the nerfs to top-tiers in PAL would end up doing more good for the scene overall than the buffs to low-tiers in 1.0, despite my personal stake in the issue. That said, GCs are region-locked so, unlike switching to 1.0, that would actually be a problem to implement logistically in the United States.

Occam's Laser

Smash Rookie
I thought you were trying to enforce a rule? Sounds pretty open ended.
No more open-ended than the option to do a blind pick. If you're familiar with the current ruleset, you shouldn't have trouble understanding that enforcing this rule wouldn't be an issue.

The problem is if a TO won't allow it, or gets in the way for some reason.

Last edited:

SuperMrJMT

Jordan M. Tannenbaum
NNID
SuperMrJMT
3DS FC
1805-2622-6991
No more open-ended than the option to do a blind pick. If you're familiar with the current ruleset, you shouldn't have trouble understanding that enforcing this rule wouldn't be an issue.

Ultimately, everything is up to the TO in the end. It shouldn't be any other way. I mean, Kongo Jungle is listed as a doubles counterpick here, but that doesn't mean every region allows it. But as I went over earlier, without having this particular rule addressed in the Smashboards ruleset, I don't think it would have a fair shot to be put into practice at many tournaments, even ones with TOs who would normally be okay with it if given a complete understanding of the situation. It has the unfortunate combination of being a request that is both uncommon and difficult to explain, but at the same time, one of extreme importance when it does happen to come up. Precisely the type of thing that warrants increased clarification at a higher level.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante

Not an issue whatsoever, you just have to locate a large amount of highly priced melee discs that probably aren't made anymore, lol. Changing the standard seldom comes without an issue or two popping up. Some see it as worth the hassle and some don't.

Last edited:

SuperMrJMT

Jordan M. Tannenbaum
NNID
SuperMrJMT
3DS FC
1805-2622-6991
Not an issue whatsoever, you just have to locate a large amount of highly priced melee discs that probably aren't made anymore, lol. Changing the standard seldom comes without an issue or two popping up. Some see it as worth the hassle and some don't.
The point is, for those who don't see it as worth the hassle, they won't ever have to worry about it. Most players will never be affected by this change. But for players who are, it makes a huge difference to have this option available to them. Depending on the situation you find yourself in, this change would either do absolutely nothing, or would provide a great benefit. I don't know why you see this as a problem.

Top Bottom