• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Melee Social Thread and stuff

SAUS

Smash Ace
Unfortunately for me my parents are like totalitarians. They're starting to warm up to the idea of a 14 year old going places, though.
Dam, you are young. If you find your local melee facebook group, you could probably invite someone over and they could meet you and your parents so that they are more comfortable maybe. Just tell the people in the group so that they send over the right person :p

P@RA

Smash Rookie
Hey guys sorry for going off topic, but I think I might be going to my first tournament for Melee this Sunday. I was inspired by that amazing documentary and the great community. I'm a Luigi main who is just amazed by Abate, EddyMexico, Vist, and Vudujin. Are there any other Luigi mains I should check out? Also, how do you guys go about practicing tech skill and for events?

Oddyesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Oddyesy
Dam, you are young. If you find your local melee facebook group, you could probably invite someone over and they could meet you and your parents so that they are more comfortable maybe. Just tell the people in the group so that they send over the right person :p
Haha my house is a mess. They wouldn't appreciate that, or me giving my address out to a stranger. Maybe they'll let me go out now that it's summer. I dunno. I'll try and see if my parents will let me go. My point with them right now is that if they won't let me go anywhere then how I'm going to be able to learn how to function on my own when I grow up. Thanks though. I'm hoping they'll let me go to a biweekly that's starting here in Texas.

Last edited:

MaPow

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys sorry for going off topic, but I think I might be going to my first tournament for Melee this Sunday. I was inspired by that amazing documentary and the great community. I'm a Luigi main who is just amazed by Abate, EddyMexico, Vist, and Vudujin. Are there any other Luigi mains I should check out? Also, how do you guys go about practicing tech skill and for events?
I'm from FL, so I have the benefit of playing with BluEG and Blea Gelo, both are very good Luigi mains to learn from

Monkley6

Smash Journeyman
Will the scene be as strong as it is now in four years?
Who knows how it'll be in 4 years, we can hope it'll be strong. Perhaps try bringing them to a tourney or fest? I've seen parents at tourneys before, maybe once they get to experience it, and see it for themselves a few times they'll be more comfortable.

Last edited:

Oddyesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Oddyesy
Who knows how it'll be in 4 years, we can hope it'll be strong. Perhaps try bringing them to a tourney or fest? I've seen parents at tourneys before, maybe once they get to experience it, and see it for themselves a few times they'll be more comfortable.
Yeah, I took my dad to Bit Battles in DFW. Was kinda weird for me knowing my dad was watching lol

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
This has probably been said many times before, but if there's ever been an SSBM Golden Age, it's this one.

That's it, just wanted to say it pretty bad.

Last edited:

Oaty

Smash Cadet
This has probably been said many times before, but if there's ever been an SSBM Golden Age, it's this one.

That's it, just wanted to say it pretty bad.
Don't most people refer to now as the platinum age of smash?
Most people refer to the old MLG days as the golden age.

Haha my house is a mess. They wouldn't appreciate that, or me giving my address out to a stranger. Maybe they'll let me go out now that it's summer. I dunno. I'll try and see if my parents will let me go. My point with them right now is that if they won't let me go anywhere then how I'm going to be able to learn how to function on my own when I grow up. Thanks though. I'm hoping they'll let me go to a biweekly that's starting here in Texas.
Strict parents can be rough man. If you have troubles with going to tournaments I recommend you try to find a group of smashers close-by and try to play with them as frequently as possible.

Last edited:

Oddyesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Oddyesy
Don't worry keep playing. College is a great place to get good at smash :chuckle:
Don't most people refer to now as the platinum age of smash?
Most people refer to the old MLG days as the golden age.

Strict parents can be rough man. If you have troubles with going to tournaments I recommend you try to find a group of smashers close-by and try to play with them as frequently as possible.
Thanks for the help guys. Hopefully I can actually do something this summer. My dad's trying to sign me up for summer camps though, and I'm just "God dammit let me have a break before I enter the stress of IB". Thanks though.

Sup Smashers anyone around that remembers me? =3

I miss you guys.
Nah

ur laem :troll:

EDIT: Wow, 1.5k posts and only 1 like? You must be bad at Smashboardsing.

Last edited:

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Thanks for the help guys. Hopefully I can actually do something this summer. My dad's trying to sign me up for summer camps though, and I'm just "God dammit let me have a break before I enter the stress of IB". Thanks though.

Nah

ur laem :troll:

EDIT: Wow, 1.5k posts and only 1 like? You must be bad at Smashboardsing.
Says the guy with a measly total of 158 trophy points. :troll:

Last edited:

Oddyesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Oddyesy
Show your parents the documentary.
Uh... I dunno about that lol

South Park **** scene?

Mango's famous "AHH ****"?

Hookers at MLG?

Dunno if they'd like that lol

Kind of relevant, Melee was IGN's Reader's Choice GOTY by more than double it's next closest competitor back in 2001.

http://web.archive.org/web/20040813070819/http://insider.ign.com/articles/317668p1.html
Wow. I'm really glad that Golden Sun got 9th with 1,029 votes. Didn't know that people liked it that much.

Last edited:

Bones0

Smash Legend
Uh... I dunno about that lol

South Park **** scene?

Mango's famous "AHH ****"?

Hookers at MLG?

Dunno if they'd like that lol

Wow. I'm really glad that Golden Sun got 9th with 1,029 votes. Didn't know that people liked it that much.
I don't remember anything about South Park **** or hookers. What documentary did you watch? O_o

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Okay, when did the ruleset change? I was using Rainbow Cruise being legal to justify being competitive and show that we do like having fun sometimes, but... Now it's not legal anymore. How do I justify being competitive to Miiverse now?

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Why do you justify being competitive to Miiverse?
Because it's a permanent icon on both consoles, so I'm stuck with it.

I'm also trying to justify it to myself. I want to enjoy the series to its fullest, but I'm starting to feel like I'm surrounded by stereotypes and it's embarrassing.

Last edited:

Xyzz

Smash Champion
You enjoy competing in a video game, big deal. What's there to justify to anybody (let alone some icon connecting you to a bunch of anonymous strangers on the interwebs (i presume... the only console i own is a GC, so i don't really know about that sort of thing))?

Well, regarding rainbow ride... playing competitively and horsing around at times isn't mutually exclusive. Just because you play with the competitive ruleset doesn't mean you can't ever do anything else. If you think Bowser dittos on Poke Floats with bombs on very high sound fun, go ahead do those.
It's just that the majority of the playerbase thinks a largely static environment is best to determine the better player, so we do that in tournament sets... but, if you and your opponent agree to sth, next to no tournament host is going to prevent you from doing whatever the hell you want as long as you don't stall the tournament (set the timer higher or play more matches than your set should be, or sth).

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
... but, if you and your opponent agree to sth, next to no tournament host is going to prevent you from doing whatever the hell you want as long as you don't stall the tournament (set the timer higher or play more matches than your set should be, or sth).
Wait, that's still legal? I thought that was N64-only due to the very low number of stages.

As for justifying myself... The competitive fandom turned out to be, for a pretty big part, exactly as I feared it was back when I was casual - I haven't even been on Smashboards a week and there are already entire threads dedicated to banning or taking the entire point out of entire characters on day one. I don't know. I thought I was better than that.

(Why yes, I am taking the debate over Mii Fighters hard. Why do you ask?)

Last edited:

Xyzz

Smash Champion
"That" referring to Pokefloats or "Gentleman's agreement"?
The former has been gone from our tournament legal pool for ages (again, you can do whatever the hell you feel like in non-tournament sets), the later would be kind of hard to prevent anyways (how is the host supposed to know you didn't just play RPS in some dark corner and report the results of that? :D

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I mean the agreement thing. That at least makes me feel a little better, knowing that there's at least a possibility of not everyone competitive fitting the stereotype.

I guess I just needed reassurance. I'd never forgive myself if I ever fell into the Stop Havibg Fun Guy spectrum.

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Your idea of fun =/= everyone else and their idea of fun.

Deal with that first.

Smooth Criminal
They won't stop until my definition matches theirs, though... -_-

Even then, though, there are things in the competitive side I disagree with. Like the movement to ban or restrict Miis day one. That whole debate honestly looks like they're just trying to ban things for the sake of banning them; exactly how we don't want everyone else to see us like.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
They won't stop until my definition matches theirs, though... -_-

Even then, though, there are things in the competitive side I disagree with. Like the movement to ban or restrict Miis day one. That whole debate honestly looks like they're just trying to ban things for the sake of banning them; exactly how we don't want everyone else to see us like.
You're missing my point. It's not a matter of fundamentally altering your definition of fun. You can do whatever the hell you want. It's a matter of respecting what the competitive side finds fun. This is the kind of monumental hubris that creates these silly notions in the first place, this whole "casual" versus "hardcore" gamer thing. It's ****ing pointless. We all play video games, just some decide to play it differently than others.

If you want to find out what all the hub-bub's about, compromise. Meet them in the middle. Try figuring out exactly why instead of dismissing it as a bunch of tryhard nonsense.

As for the whole Mii thing in Smash 4, there's more to it than banning **** for the sake of banning ****. If the devs of Smash 4 introduce a way to streamline the process of importing custom Miis and movesets from one system to another, I don't think there would be an issue.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I try to respect other play styles, I really do. My problem is I never get that same courtesy, and I never will. So I stoop to trying to justify myself and sweet **** I'm ruining my life being so paranoid and bargaining like this.

TreK

Is "that guy"
I just had a random thought. In Nintendo's eyes, PAL Melee is the final product, not NTSC. I know the Wii U is zoned, but what if they only release PAL Melee on Wii U Virtual Console ?

Oaty

Smash Cadet
I just had a random thought. In Nintendo's eyes, PAL Melee is the final product, not NTSC. I know the Wii U is zoned, but what if they only release PAL Melee on Wii U Virtual Console ?
I didn't know nintendo thought of PAL as the final product. It's interesting but unless it were an HD remake or a version with online capabilities than it wouldn't change much at all. People would probably just keep playing on their cubes/Wii's.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I heard that other communities were hostile to ours, but I've never actually seen it until I saw the chat in the SSBM -> Marvel 3 intermission.

"Watch the numbers drain away because Smash scrubs can't handle a real game."

"Numbahs goin DOWN cause it's past Smash kids' bedtime *decapre emoticon*"

JayB

Smash Rookie
Other communities are becoming jealous of the popularity that Smash has gained over the last year or so. Whilst we can't really blame them for their jealousy, we must just act like the more mature ones of the situation. When fanboys/girls start to hate on other things, it often shows insecurity. But to be honest, they should be thankful as many of the smash viewers will stay and watch the other games. They wouldn't have gotten the exposure if it weren't for melee having a huge spike in popularity causing people to investigate more into other pro scenes and EVO is a great place for it. I would never have looked for the competitive scene in the other games, but as I've been watching melee at EVO, I've also watched some other games there too. I'm sure there are other people like that. I'm sure not everyone in the fighting game scene is as hostile towards melee as some of them are. But we're only seeing the people who are just insecure about the future of their game.
Tl;dr: Don't blame the anomalies of the other games' scenes for becoming jealous, just be the mature one and let them cry.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Other communities are becoming jealous of the popularity that Smash has gained over the last year or so. Whilst we can't really blame them for their jealousy, we must just act like the more mature ones of the situation. When fanboys/girls start to hate on other things, it often shows insecurity. But to be honest, they should be thankful as many of the smash viewers will stay and watch the other games. They wouldn't have gotten the exposure if it weren't for melee having a huge spike in popularity causing people to investigate more into other pro scenes and EVO is a great place for it. I would never have looked for the competitive scene in the other games, but as I've been watching melee at EVO, I've also watched some other games there too. I'm sure there are other people like that. I'm sure not everyone in the fighting game scene is as hostile towards melee as some of them are. But we're only seeing the people who are just insecure about the future of their game.
Tl;dr: Don't blame the anomalies of the other games' scenes for becoming jealous, just be the mature one and let them cry.
I personally blame the console wars, too.

I'm only not staying for Marvel because I don't really like Marvel personally, but I'm coming back for USFIV.

Top Bottom