• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Melee Social Thread and stuff

Xyzz

Smash Champion
For Odin's sake, stop giving a **** about twitch chats. Everything is disliked around there, probably including pandas and the number 5680.
There's tons of reputable fg players who say they have nothing but respect for smash and I can't recall anybody notable bashing it

Mensrea

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mensrea
Hey, I had a random question that I thought you guys could answer. I keep reading that falcon can't beat falco. Why is this? Why is that matchup bad for Falcon?

Xyzz

Smash Champion
It's not impossible... pretty tough though. I'd say the main reason is that while Falcon is usually really good at abusing his great movement, Falco has a fairly low commitment option (lasers) to make that a lot harder.
They both really poop on each other whenever there's a hit gained though, so the matchup is really volatile (:

Zyfoe

Smash Apprentice
So I decided to pick up Melee today for the first time in like a year and holy crap the Ice Climbers own. I spent a good part of my day practicing with Captain Falcon only to get owned by my brother's Puff when he got home (he used to be a former tournament player). He then went to his friend's house for like 3 hours; enough time for me to analyze my mistakes and look up some techniques I might have overlooked. Like 5 minutes before he got home I decided "Hey! I'm gonna look up the Ice Climbers and try them out!"

Best idea ever.

I won probably like 70% of the matches we played. I made him so mad that he rage Marth'd me (jokingly of course, tis a videogame after all). I also used the techniques I overlooked and anticipated his playstyle. I am now an Ice Climbers fan.

Also they're wavedash is so fun to use and makes the best sound.

Sensei

Smash Lord
Seeing as "broken" the ice climbers can be when it comes to wobbling, I've been tempted sometimes to start maining them for tournament. I don't find them as enjoyable to play as the spacies or falcon.

Tyler Martin

Smash Rookie
Hey guys I was practicing evasion with marth and noticed that one of his dodge rolls turned into a double or reverse dodge roll, this consisted of marth reversing mid roll and covering about twice the ground on the opposite side. Is this new or does someone know how to do it?

D

Deleted member

Seeing as "broken" the ice climbers can be when it comes to wobbling, I've been tempted sometimes to start maining them for tournament. I don't find them as enjoyable to play as the spacies or falcon.
laser dair shine for 10 years man

nice girlie there

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
Hey guys I was practicing evasion with marth and noticed that one of his dodge rolls turned into a double or reverse dodge roll, this consisted of marth reversing mid roll and covering about twice the ground on the opposite side. Is this new or does someone know how to do it?
you probably just rolled towards and edge or wall (like the ones in PS2 that you can't really see) making your first roll look short and then held L/R + the c-stick and buffered another roll

Tyler Martin

Smash Rookie
you probably just rolled towards and edge or wall (like the ones in PS2 that you can't really see) making your first roll look short and then held L/R + the c-stick and buffered another roll
Possibly but I was in the middle of battlefield

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Where you playing against a computer? You may have been hit by something and not noticed it, then buffered a roll on accident

Tyler Martin

Smash Rookie
Where you playing against a computer? You may have been hit by something and not noticed it, then buffered a roll on accident
yeah I was playing a computer, I may have been hit mid roll, but doesn't it have some degree of invulnerability? I swear he changed directions mid roll

ZBomber

Smash Rookie
I just finished watching the Smash Bros documentary. Really well done, and as someone relatively new to the community, it gives you a good idea of all the personalities and rich history here.

zero sum

Smash Apprentice
i just started playing melee a couple days ago and i finally learned how to waveshine/multishine with the spacies :~) delightful. i haven't gotten more than four shines with fox though but i guess that's about all you need! unfortunately i still can't l-cancel consistently (and have a bit of trouble with falling sh up air), but after that happens i'm going to learn a bit more about the game and maybe find a few sparring partners in college! i'm excited—maybe i can be decent at this game!

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
@ ZBomber ZBomber Yeah, it's very insightful for sure, and it's there's still a lot more to this game and community that you couldn't begin to fit into a film haha. Glad that the documentary caught your attention though, it seems to have built an interest in a lot of new players which is always a great thing to see :)

@ zero sum zero sum That's great, multishining is very difficult so having that down so early shows a lot of promise. That being said, remember that the technical aspects of this game are only stepping stones to greatness, so try not to be too focused on tech skill and take some time to also practice basic fundamentals. After all, having a bunch of tools is meaningless if you don't know how to use them haha

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
yeah I was playing a computer, I may have been hit mid roll, but doesn't it have some degree of invulnerability? I swear he changed directions mid roll
There is invincibility for a good part of the roll, but the very beginning and much of the end of the animation is vulnerable. I think its more likely that you got hit by a laser (or whatever) and then immediately rolled again, rather than you suddenly broke the mechanics of the game.

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
I just finished watching the Smash Bros documentary. Really well done, and as someone relatively new to the community, it gives you a good idea of all the personalities and rich history here.
I have to admit that documentary is what got me back into the spirit of Smash. It captures the golden age really well. I feel like I really missed out. I played Melee from the beginning but was unaware of the huge community. But I'm ready to really dive into the Smash scene now

VェVェ

Smash Rookie
I have to admit that documentary is what got me back into the spirit of Smash. It captures the golden age really well. I feel like I really missed out. I played Melee from the beginning but was unaware of the huge community. But I'm ready to really dive into the Smash scene now
That documentary got me really trying to practice, being a rookie at actually trying at Smash. I've got a lot of practice to put in, but I'm going to get working on it a lot, then try to plunge into the Smash scene.

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
Platinum Age > Golden Age

Don't waste your time feeling bad about not knowing about competitive smash and just start attending tournaments.

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
I try to respect other play styles, I really do. My problem is I never get that same courtesy, and I never will. So I stoop to trying to justify myself and sweet **** I'm ruining my life being so paranoid and bargaining like this.
Super late on this, but I respect your playstyle.

So there you go. :)

I am also far from the 'stereotypical' smasher you were talking about. I'm female, I play Pikachu, and I love me some Special VS with crazy things like 4P Lightning Melee with Pokeballs on Very High.

zero sum

Smash Apprentice
sometimes when i'm bored i play ssbm with my little cousin while i babysit since it's a decent way to a) practice tech skill/other things with fox and doc and b) keep her quiet and in one place

my favorite thing about this is that she frequently refers to sheik as “the princess but with superpowers”. a five-year-old acknowledges how much better sheik is than zelda.

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
sometimes when i'm bored i play ssbm with my little cousin while i babysit since it's a decent way to a) practice tech skill/other things with fox and doc and b) keep her quiet and in one place

my favorite thing about this is that she frequently refers to sheik as “the princess but with superpowers”. a five-year-old acknowledges how much better sheik is than zelda.
Now I'm imagining Zelda rushing into a ye olde phone boothe or something and transforming to solve every problem around Hyrule.

Headcanon accepted.

Last edited:

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
As of today Twitch is giving me problems. The video will freeze yet the audio will continue. I'm trying to watch Leffen's stream but refreshing every 10 seconds is ridiculous.

I'm using Safari. Does anyone have any fixes?

Last edited:

pickle962

Smash Lord
So now you can't chaingrab other players in smash 4...HOORAY FOR THE REMOVAL OF ONE OF THE CHEAPEST TACTICS IN COMPETITIVE SMASH!!!!

(would like to hear others thoughts on this however)

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Yeah lets get rid of all those pesky combos. Its so cheap and lame that someone gets to hit me more than once! In fact, anything that doesn't favor me specifically needs to be banned! /s

pickle962

Smash Lord
Yeah lets get rid of all those pesky combos. Its so cheap and lame that someone gets to hit me more than once! In fact, anything that doesn't favor me specifically needs to be banned! /s

Please don't be ignorant and make the entire Melee community look like a bunch of stuck in the past and can't move on cranky old smashers. I ask this of you as a guy who loves Melee, but also looks forward to the game that's everything Brawl should have been and then some! ;)

Last edited:

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I just don't see the difference between throw combos and "real combos". Its just a slippery slope because there isn't really a difference. Scrubs just see something and think its "cheap" so demand that nobody does it or that it should be removed. And just so nobody gets butt-hurt over me using the word "scrub", i will provide a definition: A scrub is a player who is handicapped by self-imposed rules that the game knows nothing about. (Source: David Sirlin)

So tell me, why is it when sheik does dthrow->fair everyone boos but when falcon does dthrow->fair everyone cheers?

Bones0

Smash Legend
>Argues Smash 4 has combos
>Links a video demonstrating a simple dthrow chain
>Links another video of someone escaping the same exact combo on reaction

Maybe I'm missing something...

Tuff Watcher

Smash Rookie
hey guys, just a quick question. could anyone link me a good recourse for learning the fundamentals of smash?

AlphaQHard

Smash Apprentice
Ive been watching melee matches on youtube and putting the speed at .50 or .25
It takes a long time but it lets me look at their playstyle and mindgames slower. It's pretty cool

Top Bottom