• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee Netplay - The Future is Now (New and improved!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nmn

Smash Cadet
It is confirmed that there are some stubborn desyncs that can occur with dual core and LLE DSP/LLE DSP on thread disabled/No audio, but they are at least hard to trigger. We will need to run diagnostics on it.

leffen

Smash Champion
Had a great time with Melee online yesterday, thank you sooo much for this guys.

The melee scene is gonna level up haaaaaaaard because of this

edit: europeans hit me up.
/pm

Fuzzyness

The Reality!
Settings were:

dual core, idle skipping, enable cheats with 45fps code, 45 framelimit, lock threads to cores,
DSP HLE Audio with no audio output (altho DSound had no probs, we were just playing with no sound tho)

Open GL, Scaled EFB Copy, Skip EFB Access from CPU, EFB Copies Texture, Extrenal Frame Buffer Disabled, Disable Per-Pixel Depth

Gea

Smash Master
Would be great if some people in the community helped devise a USB GC adapter solution. If the female end were easy to obtain I'm sure it wouldn't be too much hassle to shrink some plastic on a cable and write a basic driver for it.

Ritkusa

Smash Rookie
Would be great if some people in the community helped devise a USB GC adapter solution. If the female end were easy to obtain I'm sure it wouldn't be too much hassle to shrink some plastic on a cable and write a basic driver for it.
There are already 2 options for this. You can either get super magic joy box or Raphnet Technologies' adapter.

JMC4789

Smash Journeyman
Fuzzyness and those who streamed yesterday; could you see if you guys desync with single core, even if there is CPU slowdown. Use a 30 fps AR code if you need to. We need to confirm whether it still occurs in single core mode. The rest of the settings you used (HLE with no audio back-end) would be preferred as well.

nmn

Smash Cadet
Okay, after some rather intense testing, it seems that Dual Core mode does not desync with LLE DSP and LLE DSP On Thread disabled. HLE DSP with no backend can lead to desync. LLE DSP on thread can rarely lead to desync. But, it appears that LLE DSP not on a separate thread never desyncs.

Once again, take it with a grain of salt, since there have been a whole lot of different, conflicting analysis of the problem. But, it truly seems that dual core mode is not causing desyncs in our NoMemWrite build. It seems only DSP is causing desync issues.

I am not sure why DSP has any bearing on this, but it really appears to.

Jonny Westside

S4mus Fiend
NNID
Jonny-Westside
3DS FC
4098-3340-4061
Any progress on the special nomemwrite of 793 build for Linux or MAC?

Bones0

Smash Legend
Had a great time with Melee online yesterday, thank you sooo much for this guys.

The melee scene is gonna level up haaaaaaaard because of this

edit: europeans hit me up.
/pm
Can you parry/powershield, or does it lag too much?

rokimomi

Smash Lord
So I've tried this out with a buddy but we could never connect to each other. We alternated hosting, got correct ip addresses from several resources, and tried identical builds and ISO's and even re-downloaded the zipped version in the OP. Any ideas guys?

Also, we could both connect to ourselves using localhost and port 2626 (default) if that means anything.

Bstuk

Smash Cadet
Can you parry/powershield, or does it lag too much?
If you time it correctly, yes. I was able to do it. Sure the timing is a little different due to lag, but its still 100% doable.

So I've tried this out with a buddy but we could never connect to each other. We alternated hosting, got correct ip addresses from several resources, and tried identical builds and ISO's and even re-downloaded the zipped version in the OP. Any ideas guys?

Also, we could both connect to ourselves using localhost and port 2626 (default) if that means anything.
Were you able to initially connect to each other, or were you not finding each other?

If it wasn't finding you then you should go into your router settings, and forward a port. You will need the password for the router.

JMC4789

Smash Journeyman
We can do a Linux build if you need it, but, we have no way to really do a Mac build. If anyone needs a Linux build, just let us know what Distro, since that's kinda the hard part.

Macintosh is kinda hard because we don't have a mac around. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Rokimomo: You either are having it blocked by a firewall or router; portforward on the host machine and turn off all firewalls on both runs.

Jonny Westside

S4mus Fiend
NNID
Jonny-Westside
3DS FC
4098-3340-4061
We can do a Linux build if you need it, but, we have no way to really do a Mac build. If anyone needs a Linux build, just let us know what Distro, since that's kinda the hard part.

Macintosh is kinda hard because we don't have a mac around. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Rokimomo: You either are having it blocked by a firewall or router; portforward on the host machine and turn off all firewalls on both runs.
I think releasing a Linux build would be really convenient. Not everyone runs on Windows you know :/ Please expand the OS selection of your special builds!

Edit: Putting the Linux option in the OP would be great as well

nmn

Smash Cadet
The problem with a Linux build is that there are multiple Linux distributions. Mind you, I know not everyone runs Windows (Myself? I'm posting from Debian Wheezy/Sid) but packaging for Linux is not easy, and Dolphin does not appear to have any standard deb/rpm packaging features built-in, so it's up to the maintainer. I have actually began work on a build system setup for Ubuntu and Debian, but I still need some scripts to compile .debs, then I need to ensure my dependency lists are correct, etc.

In the meantime, most Linux users shouldn't have any problems compiling Dolphin. You just need to install the dependencies, grab the source, run cmake, make, and sudo make install in the source dir. Takes only a few minutes. Does require that you are reasonably familiar with the terminal/bash, but once again, I'm sure most Linux users should not be terribly unfamiliar.

rokimomi

Smash Lord
Yep, so the issue was the port forwarding.

I'm running a 2.53 GHz Intel Core i5 M460 and a GeForce 310m on my laptop. Runs perfectly by itself in 100% speed and both fps hacks (same with the guy I'm connecting with) but when we netplay, it goes to about 50% of whatever speed we're playing at. I'm assuming this is just bad internet on our ends. But I guess I'll try reinstalling everything again tomorrow.

JMC4789

Smash Journeyman
Try changing the padbuffer. If the pad buffer is too low, you get lag, if it is too high, you get extreme latency.

Leviathan741

Smash Ace
For those of you that are lagging from monitor input lag.... Try clicking progressive scan on the "advanced" section of "configure". It helped my monitor lag quite a bit... it is kind of like "game mode" on hdtv's. Unfortunately i still have some monitor lag but not nearly as much. This should be update in the OP as many people probably have this problem.

On a side note... I've been able to connect and not desync with 1 out of 2 people so far. Unfortunately, the gaming session with the one I didtn desync with was pretty laggy.

Bstuk

Smash Cadet
Had this working the other day with a friend, anyone want to give it a shot?
Yeah im up for it. Contact me on skype(jon_pwns_noobs).

On a side note... I've been able to connect and not desync with 1 out of 2 people so far. Unfortunately, the gaming session with the one I didtn desync with was pretty laggy.
I think the main reason for lag was distance between us. We do live pretty far apart, so it makes sense that the pad buffer would be at 14. I could play people from michigan/ohio with around a 10 buffer.

L-J

Smash Ace
Is anyone keen to create some kind of group where people can go 'online' to show they're available to play online, then people who're online can message each other their IP, settings etc to get going and synced up? I would do it myself but I'm not sure of the best platform to do it on. Someone mentioned a Windows Live Messenger group but I thought a lot of people didn't use Windows Live these days?

nmn

Smash Cadet
Admittedly, it'd be a good idea to have a lobby system at some point. For now, I recommend people gather on IRC.

Server: irc.rizon.net
Channel: #dolphin-ssbm

How to Connect (easy)
Click here to enter with a web browser.
Choose any nickname - no registration required. You may register your nick with Rizon after logging in. If this is done you will want to select "Identify with Nickserv" as your Auth method at the login page. Some nicks will already be taken.

How to Connect (better)
Download and install a dedicated IRC client -> here (-> OS X)

In the network list, locate "Rizon." If it is not present, add it:
1. Enter your preferred nick names.
2. Click "Add" and type Rizon.
3. Click the entry and click "Edit..."
4. Set the first server entry to irc.rizon.net/6697
5. Check Use SSL for all the servers on this network and Accept invalid SSL certificate
6. In Favorite channels, type #dolphin-ssbm
7. If you want to connect to this when starting HexChat, check Auto connect to this network at startup.
8. Close the edit window, select Rizon, and hit Connect.

Makkun

Smash Journeyman
I added the IRC information to the second post. Tomorrow I'm going to work with JMC to change the Netplay Configuration in the OP to list multiple configs for different settings, instead of one "recommended" setup.

There's also a Melee Netplay group. GO JOIN IT! I'd like for player matchup discussions to stay there. Also feel free to post images and VIDEOS! Thanks all!

nmn

Smash Cadet
You guys should just use the SmashBoards chat. Literally no one uses it, and it's a million times simpler than having people get on IRC.

Just click the link at the top of any page that says "Chat", or go here: http://www.smashboards.com/chat.php
SmashBoards chat is actually an IRC channel which you're accessing via Mibbit. I don't like Mibbit. I provided a link to qwebirc for our channel, which is similar to Mibbit.

If that isn't good enough, Mibbit wouldn't be hard to add.

Jonny Westside

S4mus Fiend
NNID
Jonny-Westside
3DS FC
4098-3340-4061
Guys, fix up the the IRC link in the OP. It needs to be clickable and easy to access

rustediron

Smash Lord
For people having problems with light shielding on a controller using DInput (e.g. light shield only starts after the L/R has been depressed past half-way), try using this.

Can't guarantee it will work though, I may have inadvertently broken something

I'll upload my changes to google code once I figure out how to get git working lol

nmn

Smash Cadet
For people having problems with light shielding on a controller using DInput (e.g. light shield only starts after the L/R has been depressed past half-way), try using this.

I'll upload my changes to google code once I figure out how to get git working lol
Awesome. If you can get git installed on your box, i'd recommend doing a git clone of the repo, doing the changes, then running a git diff (redirect the output to a file, e.g. dolphin__dinput_fix.patch.) Something like this:

Code:
git diff > file.patch
Then anyone can apply the patch using git apply, and you should also be able to report the issue to Dolphin along with the fix code (assuming it's not a hack anyway :)

Luo_Zhao

Smash Rookie
I can confirm that the Raphnet GC to USB adapter works perfectly. Analog sliders as well

C.SDK

Smash Ace
for gc controller, before you press the BUTTON for L or R, hold down the button till JUST BEFORE the click, then press it for the BUTTON input. for the SLIDER press L or R till JUST BEFORE the click for the input.
I just got around to download Dolphin and set up the controls and once again, the L and R buttons were being finicky. I can shield, light shield, air dodge/wavedash properly but I couldn't tech unless I pressed the button really hard. Then I remembered about this post and followed what it said and it works! Thanks so much, dude. If anyone is having trouble with the shoulder buttons (L and R), please follow what the quote says and you should be good!

I have a few questions. Is the current deadzone (0) for both the analog stick and the C-stick the same as in console Melee? When I was moving the hand around on character select, I noticed it moved a bit differently. Also, is leaving the threshold at 0 fine? I want this to closely replicate console settings as possible.

I do not lag at all. I do not lag in 1v1s on any stage. I do not lag in 2v2 on any stage. I even did the ultimate test of lag: I made myself and the other CPUs Ice Climbers and I did not lag either. The only place I did lag (50fps) was Fountain of Dreams but that's expected as FoD lags on console too. Though I think that's in teams but I didn't lag in teams. I only did lag with the all Ice Climbers teams on FoD.

Now, who wants to play some SSBM? :cool:

Massive

Smash Champion

I'm pretty curious to see the code changes on this, improving the breadth/quality of dolphin's controller support is definitely on my list.

Ritkusa

Smash Rookie
Are you guys playing melee on dolphin emulator with the controller rumble function enabled?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom