• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee Netplay - The Future is Now (New and improved!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMC4789

Smash Journeyman
If you are still having desyncs with the new build, make sure your memory cards are completely identical before playing.

The build of Dolphin NMN posted has been edited, but is still hard to sync. If one player has HLE audio, both players need HLE audio; if one player has dual core on, both players need dual core on.

We do believe with HLE audio and dualcore on that our build should sync, so if you're having trouble, please let us know! We thought we snuffed out the desyncing bugs, but if something is still going wrong we need to know for sure. Settings and memory cards can still cause desyncs.

Fuzzyness - would you mind playing with me sometime? If you have Melee 1.02, I'd like to test with the latest build and see if we can make dualcore sync past two matches. I played 3 rounds with Game&Watch and it actually did sync... Our dolphin has mods to the netplay engine for HLE, and we stomped out a desync bug in the memory card writing that we accidentally found. That desync allowed my brother and I to play 5 straight rounds with G&W and not desync. It's possible there was an oversight in our testing though. Everyone who is having desync problems please make sure they're using the build we linked, and take extra note of the settings. If the memory card is the least bit different, it will have an error and desync!

Anyone who is interested, I'm available for testing. I'll post videos of dualcore + HLE syncing if people are having problems to show that it can work, if need be.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
How about dropping the whole memory card and just putting up a guide on how to edit your dol file to include all characters and stages <-- takes one minute.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=326347

Then we'd never have to think about the memory card shenanigans ever again? assuming both players start with a fresh dolphin build w/ no mem card and dont create a new one when prompted at the bootup of the game

nmn

Smash Cadet
Simple reason, I don't want to hack the game to make basic functionality work. That doesn't mean we won't, but I'll be damned if we give up this easily.

FWIW, there's a lot of confusion as to what exactly is causing desyncs right now. It could be more synchronization bugs, it could be user error, it could even be a freakish mistake in one of the builds.

This morning, we had successful syncing with pretty much no issues... I hope we can reproduce that for everyone else.

Edit: Guys, try using LLE audio and OpenGL. I think HLE or DirectX could be causing issues.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
So you'd rather have people go through a lengthier procedure to do netplay than to use a simple hack which doesnt modify gameplay to make all future netplay attempts easier?

nmn

Smash Cadet
In a word: Absolutely. I would rather have a working version of Dolphin than a broken version of Melee.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
So there are still issues syncing memory cards during gameplay even if all players start with the same one?
Sorry ahead of time if the answer to this was posted earlier and I missed it.

JMC4789

Smash Journeyman
Also, the desync isn't being caused by the memory cards now. We're running into the old issue of fixing one problem and creating another, it seems.

Some people will sync better with newer builds, some people will sync better with the old builds.

Edit: Achilles; simply killing memory cards and unlocking stages would not fix it.

nmn

Smash Cadet
There really shouldn't be any issues with the latest build, but some people are having them. We have not discovered why there are desyncs. We're doing more testing and it seems syncing still works properly with dual core on this latest build for some people. At least one person we have desync issues with and absolutely no clue why (the old 305 method is not working with them either.)

The latest build does not write the memory card, so you should not have to manually reset it, just make sure it is the same for both players. This is a temporary hack, but it may be preferable for Melee netplay, so it will probably turn into an option in later builds. The important thing is that we have solved a large part of the desyncing issues, even if it's still not great.

RoyalSyrup

Smash Cadet
I would love to test this with you guys! I can use the melee sd remix patch, i'm also a BR of sd remix, so i guess you guys can use my help. My pc can't run dolphin a full speed, with just single core, but with duel core it can.

Makkun

Smash Journeyman
That's awesome! We've been wanting to test SD Remix as well. (To be honest, I haven't even played it yet!)

Makkun

Smash Journeyman
Do you wanna test this out? also, do you gotta skype? so that we can communicate?
I do want to test it, but right now I'm busy with a few things (one of them being rewriting the OP). You can add me on Skype though! I'll PM you my Skype name. ;)

ThisBeHades

Smash Rookie
I need help (I'm on a Mac by the way)...

My Specs:
Processor - 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory - 4 GB 1333 Mhz DDR3
Graphics - AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512 MB

When I set the framelimit on Dolphin to 30, It lags rather than playing at a decent speed. I've added the 30 FPS code already. Can someone please help me?

Turnerfield77

Smash Cadet
Specs:
Processor: i7 3.06 ghz
Memory: 8gb (but on a 32 bit system so im only using 3 right now)
Graphics: Nvidia GeForce gtx 550 ti

if anyone wants to try it out, i'd be more than willing to give it a shot, i'm not quite sure how to connect to someone though

Leviathan741

Smash Ace
Anyone wanna play? Test this out with me? I have it set up for the most part. I have melee v1.2 and the lle files as well with the memory card.

P.S> Can anyone help me with the stupid input lag on my laptop screen?

P.S. Can someone help me get the 30fps code too?

Makkun

Smash Journeyman
I re-wrote the OP! If anyone has any suggestions or questions please post or PM me! I don't know if the collapsed sections looks nice or if it would be better to just have it all laid out.

I don't think there's anything you can do about your monitor lag, Leviathan. :( And I don't know what to do about the 30FPS code. I am not familiar with it and we didn't write it. Our 30 FPS code should be ready soon, though.

Fizzi

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
FIZZI#36
This is somewhat of a self-promotion but it's probably also relevant to people with interest in net-play and emulation in general.

I made an adapter two summers ago now and posted about it here: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=318699 .

I wouldn't mind starting to manufacture them. I have all the schematics and case designs etc so if anyone knows anything about manufacturing stuff like this (in China or otherwise), I could start a kickstarter and hopefully sell them cheap.

Fuzzyness

The Reality!
oh Fizzi, Jolteon from the UK was telling me about this

would be cool if you could sell a bunch =D

if you could make me a good hori n64 controller adaptor too cheaper than raphnet then id love you more <33

Fizzi

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
FIZZI#36
I had brought it to Apex 2012 and played with some people. I thought the one guy was German though lol? Did that guy play with it or did he just just see the thread?

I currently have no plans to make an n64 one but apparently the protocol is nearly identical so... Maybe if there's demand. But I think first step would be manufacturing the existing one.

ThatGuy

Smash Master
This is somewhat of a self-promotion but it's probably also relevant to people with interest in net-play and emulation in general.

I made an adapter two summers ago now and posted about it here: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=318699 .

I wouldn't mind starting to manufacture them. I have all the schematics and case designs etc so if anyone knows anything about manufacturing stuff like this (in China or otherwise), I could start a kickstarter and hopefully sell them cheap.
Just posting to vouch for the upstanding quality of Fizzi's adapter; it's well worth the buy if he chooses to market them.

Jonny Westside

S4mus Fiend
NNID
Jonny-Westside
3DS FC
4098-3340-4061
So my friend (lives in georgia) and I (CA) tried to play this new build (3.0-793) and we keep running into this giant lag problem. It's probably his computer but he says he can run the game fine offline and full speed using the 30 FPS code. It's and entirely different story on netplay tho. It takes ages for the game to boot and about 5 min to get through CSS and SSS to begin the match.

Perhaps it's just common online lag or maybe his computer isn't up to par. FYI I can play the game flawlessly with other people, just not with him. Any idea what the problem might be?

Bstuk

Smash Cadet
I'm in the mood for some matches right now! We should create a group on here for making and finding matches.

I'm using dual core on 3.0-3.5, so it desyncs if you use characters like peach or luigi. It still runs fine and everything.

Message me here or on skype (jon_pwns_noobs) if you would like to play! I'm free all night.

Izuhu

Smash Journeyman
So...... What I am understanding is that even if this melee online thing works perfectly.... we will still have to play on super laggy pc screens?
I know what your saying, even playing offline it feels as if there is some sort of input delay.

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
For Gc (and n64) adapters, iirc the RAPHNETone is of very high quality

If you want less lag on a pc screen, use a 5ms(or less) response time monitor with dvi or display port cable, vga may work as well. I get 0 noticable lag with my acer 5ms response time monitor when I play games @ steady 60fps/Hz

If anyone else knows about stepmania scroll speed, my arrows don't stutter at up to ~800bpm hallway (like my max read speeds) which is impossible on my 42" vizio 120hz tv with hdmi

nmn

Smash Cadet
Okay, so, we've determined that slowdowns can cause desyncing on dual core mode. HLE audio is still usable, but dual core mode will only work when latency is low and computer speeds are high... (working on this)

Off topic, but FWIW, you can get used to the relatively small-ish amounts of lag of a computer monitor. Shouldn't take an absurdly long time either.

Izuhu

Smash Journeyman
We know it doesn't take long getting used to but "serious" players wouldn't approve of this. We have to deal with the lag with the monitor and on top of that the input delay when playing between each other online. It'll just mess up our muscle memory when playing on a CRT, and will take a couple of matches to readjust to the "actual" game

@KnitePhox response time has nothing to do with input lag. Look it up. My response time for my 24in Dell p2412h is also 5ms and I still feel input delay. And its only with playing melee on dolphin. I can play ssb64 on this monitor and won't notice any lag

Atrain

Smash Cadet
I would like to see two high level players attempt playing on this. The video posted doesn't really give us much in terms of what can be done competitively.

Fuzzyness

The Reality!
im gonna play leffen tomorrow

I can live stream while playing

anyone got any idea why my triggers are being weird with dolphin.. im using the trio linker plus II, installed the drivers + calibrated. I can light shield and normal shield but it only detects the light shield after its pushed in like 1/3 the way in for some odd reason o_O and ive tried so many things but no luck

JMC4789

Smash Journeyman
As a speedrunner, if you have a good monitor and graphics card, you won't experience latency on a PC Monitor vs a CRT TV. Unlike HDTVs, you can find the response time of a monitor pretty easily, though I can't exactly say how accurate that is in all cases.

Izuhu

Smash Journeyman
I would like to see two high level players attempt playing on this. The video posted doesn't really give us much in terms of what can be done competitively.
I kinda played someone competitively, and I can say from experience that wavedashing, l cancelling, shffling is pretty easy online. I did have trouble jump cancel shining with the input delay,. And it also felt hella weird short hopping and fast falling with Falco's lasers. That I just said **** lasers.

im gonna play leffen tomorrow

I can live stream while playing

anyone got any idea why my triggers are being weird with dolphin.. im using the trio linker plus II, installed the drivers + calibrated. I can light shield and normal shield but it only detects the light shield after its pushed in like 1/3 the way in for some odd reason o_O and ive tried so many things but no luck
Try changing the threshold in the gcpad section in dolphin

Leviathan741

Smash Ace
So I set up everything just as the main thread.... and it turns out that I am getting NO SOUND when DSP LLE recompiler with force thread to DSP checked... but I am getting sound with DSP HLE.....

also does ANYONE want to play

Jonny Westside

S4mus Fiend
NNID
Jonny-Westside
3DS FC
4098-3340-4061
Regarding that recent build that came out (3.0 - 793) with the dual core fix.

It's this right?
http://i.imgur.com/CF66O.png

Because a friend of mine just got it and I just wanna make sure that we aren't going to desync (that's his screenshot btw. he's a filthy Mac user :D)

JMC4789

Smash Journeyman
Unholydeath123 said:
Regarding that recent build that came out (3.0 - 793) with the dual core fix.

It's this right?
http://i.imgur.com/CF66O.png
No, it is not. Ours is not part of the master branch. I don't even know if ours is a branch as much as a clone with modifications.

We have no mac builds for the time being, if you want to sync with them, use 3.0 or 305 with single core and LLE audio.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom