• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee Netplay Community Build - 0.2.0 released!

Are you interested in a Melee Netplay Community Build?

• Yes, I am

Votes: 1,042 97.2%
  • No, I'm not

Votes: 30 2.8%

• Total voters

Xiro

Smash Rookie
This is awesome. I was just planning on getting into Melee netplay.

This is compatible online with the newest Dolphin version right? 4.0-6554?

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
I love this but I have one idea that I think people might appreciate a whole lot.

Right now you have "rebalanced" stages like Fourside being "not Smashville", right?

Now I understand that there's a lot of stages that basically go unused by anyone ever and I appreciate you trying to give them a role, I love it in fact but I don't think people will ever agree to use them because they don't exist in the Melee scene locally.

So what's the perfect compromise?

Use the stages to make really elaborate skins.

Example: Termina Great Bay: Battlefield Ver.

The turtle, Tingle, all that fun stuff still happens in the background but the metal stage becomes a main platform 1:1 with Battlefield with platforms also 1:1 with Battlefield and blast zones 1:1 with Battlefield.

Match every banned stage to a legal one this way every stage will see play without the experience being any different functionally than vanilla Melee.

Flatzone FD? Venom Dreamland 64? Sky's the limit!

Myougi

My posts are gluten free.
I love this but I have one idea that I think people might appreciate a whole lot.

Right now you have "rebalanced" stages like Fourside being "not Smashville", right?

Now I understand that there's a lot of stages that basically go unused by anyone ever and I appreciate you trying to give them a role, I love it in fact but I don't think people will ever agree to use them because they don't exist in the Melee scene locally.

So what's the perfect compromise?

Use the stages to make really elaborate skins.

Example: Termina Great Bay: Battlefield Ver.

The turtle, Tingle, all that fun stuff still happens in the background but the metal stage becomes a main platform 1:1 with Battlefield with platforms also 1:1 with Battlefield and blast zones 1:1 with Battlefield.

Match every banned stage to a legal one this way every stage will see play without the experience being any different functionally than vanilla Melee.

Flatzone FD? Venom Dreamland 64? Sky's the limit!
While those ideas are amazing, most of them are sadly not possible, at least right now. Melee stage hacking is still extremely young, and there's only a handful of people in the world who can do it. Creating objects or duplicating objects within stages is impossible right now. The only thing we can do is take existing elements and move them or slightly modify them. Sorry :c

Last edited:

Lex__

Smash Journeyman
@ Myougi Myougi Part of the reason that people where so excited for the pal version of this was because we all had the ntsc versions of melee already for netplay, and that it would allow for easy adoption of your build for netplay, now that we have found out that it will require the pal version for pal netplay its a bit more disappointing and were most likely just going to keep using ntsc/20xx with pal chars because for most of us it would require getting a pal iso.

Is there anychance for a version to be made with pal characters on the ntsc version patch?

Last edited:

Shaaack

Smash Cadet
Just a question : Why is PAL version 500Mo when NTSC's ~ 100 ?

Also, this is amazing ! Thank you !

Edit : Nvm I just realized it's probably because there are more things to modify to 1.02 to PAL's netplay build.

Last edited:

Nuckels

Smash Rookie
Amazing, so just to clarify, can I patch my NTSC iso to a pal version if i'd like to try pal?

Myougi

@ Myougi Myougi Part of the reason that people where so excited for the pal version of this was because we all had the ntsc versions of melee already for netplay, and that it would allow for easy adoption of your build for netplay, now that we have found out that it will require the pal version for pal netplay its a bit more disappointing and were most likely just going to keep using ntsc/20xx with pal chars because for most of us it would require getting a pal iso.

Is there anychance for a version to be made with pal characters on the ntsc version patch?
I'll have a NTSC -> PAL build patch for the Community Build out later today. For now though, look for the Melee version patcher in the Melee workshop (Google it) and double patch your ISO. First patch 1.2->PAL then to the PAL Comm build.

Last edited:

Nuckels

Smash Rookie
I'll have a NTSC -> PAL build patch for the Community Build out later today. For now though, look for the Melee version patcher in the Melee workshop (Google it) and double patch your ISO. First patch 1.2->NTSC then to the PAL build.
Aight thank you for answering the question, thank you for all this work to everyone involved.
The only that I miss from 20XX now is alternate costumes, need my goku fox.

Myougi

Aight thank you for answering the question, thank you for all this work to everyone involved.
The only that I miss from 20XX now is alternate costumes, need my goku fox.
As far as I'm aware, character textures won't desync on netplay as long as they are put directly over their original slot. (So let's say Goku Fox replaced orange Fox, you'd have to put the texture over orange Fox.)
You'll have to download GCR for this or anything file-replacement-wise.

Last edited:

Nuckels

Smash Rookie
As far as I'm aware, character textures won't desync on netplay as long as they are put directly over their original slot. (So let's say Goku Fox replaced orange Fox, you'd have to put the texture over orange Fox.)
You'll have to download GCR for this or anything file-replacement-wise.
Hm intresting, do you still plan to add the toggle function for costumes like in 20XX or?

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
So as a vanilla melee player that wants to get into netplay, I find that I am just overwhelmed by the amount of information being presented to me at once whenever I check it out. This seems slightly more simple, but still a lot. What do I need to do to get this to work as someone that only owns a gamecube and a computer? What do I need to download? What do I need to buy?

NFreak

Smash Journeyman
So as a vanilla melee player that wants to get into netplay, I find that I am just overwhelmed by the amount of information being presented to me at once whenever I check it out. This seems slightly more simple, but still a lot. What do I need to do to get this to work as someone that only owns a gamecube and a computer? What do I need to download? What do I need to buy?
To use this build, follow the instructions on the first post to put it together. You won't be using your gamecube or disk for netplay.

You'll want one of these, assuming you don't already have one (the official one is pretty much identical, so that works too, it's just harder to find and more expensive). http://www.amazon.com/Mayflash-GameCube-Controller-Adapter-Wii/dp/B00RSXRLUE

Then just follow the step by step instructions here. You can keep both this build and a vanilla Melee ISO so you can play with people who have one or the other. http://www.smashladder.com/blogs/view/25jx/2015-06-18/melee-netplay-guide

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
I'm new to net play and I haven't gotten into yet because I know lag is something people generally have to deal with when they net play.

Does this new build absolve any of that issue on a large scale?

Thriles

Smash Rookie
I gave the thread a quick browse, couldn't find anything on it.
Is there a "correct" Md5 checksum I should be getting after creating the PAL ISO?

My PC is wack and refuses to do a lot of things correctly, so I need to make these ISO's on my laptop, and I'd just like to be sure I get it right before I start desyncing with people online.

Reminder that this is for the PAL version.
<3

Zarkdion

Smash Apprentice
I tried to make this on my macbook air, and whenever I hit "patch", the executable stops working and closes. There is no new ISO. Why?

ecylisis

Smash Apprentice
This isn't working for me on dios-mios. The menu music plays really slowly and it freezes when I pick a stage. I'm playing on a Wii.

SnG | Skin

Smash Apprentice
I'm new to net play and I haven't gotten into yet because I know lag is something people generally have to deal with when they net play.

Does this new build absolve any of that issue on a large scale?
With a combination of a wii u adapter/4 port mayflash, dolphin 6554, and a low response time montior, you will have less input than even a crt (most have around 5ms). As for lag, in my experience this will only become noticeable if the person you're playing with have well over 50-60 ping, which usually wont happen if you're playing with someone moderately geographically close. In anther's ladder it will show people location relative to you with a green, yellow, orange, or red text. Stick to green/yellow/lightoj and you wont really even notice it.

I tried to make this on my macbook air, and whenever I hit "patch", the executable stops working and closes. There is no new ISO. Why?
Are you running through Wine? Have you followed everything in the readme? (Selected all required files and named output NameHere.iso?)

This isn't working for me on dios-mios. The menu music plays really slowly and it freezes when I pick a stage. I'm playing on a Wii.
Does your iso work on Dolphin? If yes, i would suggest trying nintendont, or just repatching your melee iso.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
While those ideas are amazing, most of them are sadly not possible, at least right now. Melee stage hacking is still extremely young, and there's only a handful of people in the world who can do it. Creating objects or duplicating objects within stages is impossible right now. The only thing we can do is take existing elements and move them or slightly modify them. Sorry :c
I can understand that, but when it gets older I really feel like that's the appropriate way to go. Hope to see it at some point.

Another question: Is there any toggleable option in the netplay build to revert the aesthetic changes back to Melee?

I'm not really a fan of changing the music or the look of menus.

Also what does this build do in terms of this issue: https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/31nhfs/xpost_rssbm_my_melee_looks_funny_an_in_depth/

It's a non-issue on CRT but on emulator it does make things look weird.

Last edited:

Zarkdion

Smash Apprentice
Are you running through Wine? Have you followed everything in the readme? (Selected all required files and named output NameHere.iso?)
I am running this through wine, and I am following everything in the readme. The output file name is MeleeNetplayCommunityBuild.iso and the original file is a 1.2 iso.

gweedo

Smash Rookie
Okay im really confused. I download the file onto my computer. then i attempt to extract it using winrar then winrar tells me that the file is corrupt. Any help would be amazing

NNID
dansalvato
Sorry if this is weird to bring up, but I'm not a part of the team for this project. My code is open and free to use - and I provide code advice - but that doesn't really automatically designate me to being a part of a team. I haven't had any involvement with this project, and I'm afraid of being falsely attributed to it.

SnG | Skin

Smash Apprentice
I am running this through wine, and I am following everything in the readme. The output file name is MeleeNetplayCommunityBuild.iso and the original file is a 1.2 iso.
Hmm. Try using multipatch, i hear a lot of people on macs are having trouble with xdelta.
http://projects.sappharad.com/tools/multipatch.html

Okay im really confused. I download the file onto my computer. then i attempt to extract it using winrar then winrar tells me that the file is corrupt. Any help would be amazing
Try redownloading the .rar file. If this still doesn't work, try using 7zip, another free software to open zip/rar files.
http://www.7-zip.org/

jordanm43444

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Jordanm43444
So I keep getting this error...

Anything anyone can tell me what im doing wrong? I followed every step excatly and I am trying to patch a PAL ISO. And yes I downloaded the PAL patch.

Myougi

So I keep getting this error...

Anything anyone can tell me what im doing wrong? I followed every step excatly and I am trying to patch a PAL ISO. And yes I downloaded the PAL patch.
Make sure you're using a unmodified PAL ISO. Try again with a different backup if you can. If not, message me and I'll see what I can do.

Does it work with Mac?
Yup, but you'll need to use a different patcher called MultiPatch. Look in previous posts.

Last edited:

FlamingForce

Smash Journeyman
I'll have a NTSC -> PAL build patch for the Community Build out later today. For now though, look for the Melee version patcher in the Melee workshop (Google it) and double patch your ISO. First patch 1.2->PAL then to the PAL Comm build.
The only patcher I can find is Windows XP exclusive.

Kitsune91

Lone Smasher
3DS FC
4270-1611-3292
Are you booting it from a USB? If you so will need to reformat the flash drive. Please note it will erase all data/files on the USB so make sure to back up the data/files to a folder on your desktop or to another USB. When you are ready to format, use the following instructions:

1. Plug your flash drive into your computer then click on "Computer" from the start menu to view the flash drive
2. Right click on the flash drive and select "format" from the menu, a new small window will open
3. Once the window opens, use the following settings: Format: FAT32 (Default) Bit allocation: 32,000
4. Click the format button. Leaving the "quick format" button check marked is fine.
5. Once you've received a "format complete" dialog box, click OK.
6. Drag and drop all the backed up data/files back onto your USB
7. Eject the USB from your computer, plug the USB into your Wii and try again. It should then play smoothly. Have fun and enjoy!

Last edited:

jordanm43444

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Jordanm43444
Are you booting it from a USB? If you so will need to reformat the flash drive. Please note it will erase all data/files on the USB so make sure to back up the data/files to a folder on your desktop or to another USB. When you are ready to format, use the following instructions:

1. Plug your flash drive into your computer then click on "Computer" from the start menu to view the flash drive
2. Right click on the flash drive and select "format" from the menu, a new small window will open
3. Once the window opens, use the following settings: Format: FAT32 (Default) Bit allocation: 32,000
4. Click the format button. Leaving the "quick format" button check marked is fine.
5. Once you've received a "format complete" dialog box, click OK.
6. Drag and drop all the backed up data/files back onto your USB
7. Eject the USB from your computer, plug the USB into your Wii and try again. It should then play smoothly. Have fun and enjoy!
Im having the same issue and this did not help at all. Still causing the same problems...

EDIT: Seems like it will only load the stages and match if my menu song completley crashes.
EDIT2: Just got the biggest jumpscare of my life...turns out it just takes about 2 minutes for it to load...

Last edited:
Top Bottom