• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee Gecko Codes + Guide and Discussion

NNID
dansalvato
Hey guys, I wrote a new code called Input Delay Tester. You can find it in the OP. This allows you to test the input delay of your TV. Here's how it works:

Plug into P1 and start a match. Press D-pad Right to enable and D-pad Up to disable.

While enabled, your character will flash red at a rate of 120bpm. Tap D-pad Down at the exact moment your character flashes red. Each time you do so, your character's percent damage will change to reveal the number of frames between the red flash and your input. This is the approximate number of frames of input delay your TV has.

Note that your human timing has a margin of error, so this will only give a rough estimate of your TV's input delay.

danny135

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, I wrote a new code called Input Delay Tester. You can find it in the OP. This allows you to test the input delay of your TV. Here's how it works:

Plug into P1 and start a match. Press D-pad Right to enable and D-pad Up to disable.

While enabled, your character will flash red at a rate of 120bpm. Tap D-pad Down at the exact moment your character flashes red. Each time you do so, your character's percent damage will change to reveal the number of frames between the red flash and your input. This is the approximate number of frames of input delay your TV has.

Note that your human timing has a margin of error, so this will only give a rough estimate of your TV's input delay.
Works on Dolphin, but it doesn't work on my Wii. When I press start at the title screen it plays the menu music and freezes.

NaijaboyIrin

Smash Apprentice
Can I use these codes with Melee: SD Remix, and how would I go about using them?

Also, Rutgers NB? Sweet, I'm going there this fall!

shuall

Smash Apprentice
That comment just made me realize how many people are from NJ. I should have realized this sooner.

WritersBlah

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WritersBlah999
Have no clue if this is possible or not, but would be quite useful in my opinion. Would it be possible to have ONE OF the jump buttons (in my case, preferably X) to always shorthop? Would make SHFFLs and wavedashes much easier. And speaking of wavedashing, would it also be possible to allow aerial dodges from only light-tapping the L or R button (like the input for lightsheilding?) Have zero hacking knowledge, but this would probably help me get a better feel over competitive gameplay.

inb4 somebody quotes this post and says "said the noob."

Morin0

Smash Lord
Why would you want to use codes like that (short hopping code mostly)? It will only hurt you in the long run. I know these codes are supposed to help you ease you into competitive Melee, but the shorthopping one is just too forgiving. A good tip would be to pick up Fox/Samus/Sheik, and try to short hop with them. If you can somewhat master short hopping with them, you won't have a problem short hopping with anyone.

iffy525

Smash Apprentice
Also what about a code that will show more stats at the end of the match like missed/made l-cancels; idk what else.

danny135

Smash Apprentice
IE, do you know the 1.02 dol offset for boot to character select code? I want to just put into the iso. Doesn't matter that it skips the memory card check, the iso is meant to be used without a memcard.

NNID
dansalvato
IE, do you know the 1.02 dol offset for boot to character select code? I want to just put into the iso. Doesn't matter that it skips the memory card check, the iso is meant to be used without a memcard.

I found the offset for you. Here it is: 0x1A1180
Overwrite that address with these bytes: 3c 00 02 02 90 1e 00 00

NNID
dansalvato
I might make a "Tournament Edition" of Melee which will automatically patch a .iso with codes like:
-Unlock everything
-Boot to character select screen
-Game starts with tournament settings (4 stock, 8 minutes, friendly fire, neutrals on random)
-C-stick in 1P mode
-Start matches with only 1 player
-Modified stage select screen with neutrals lined up in the center (and maybe stage striking)
-Taunt cancelling
-Whatever else I can think of

I think this would be fun to do, and if I make it a simple .iso patcher then I think a lot of people might use it on their Wii.

danny135

Smash Apprentice
I might make a "Tournament Edition" of Melee which will automatically patch a .iso with codes like:
-Unlock everything
-Game starts with tournament settings (4 stock, 8 minutes, friendly fire, neutrals on random)
-C-stick in 1P mode
-Modified stage select screen with neutrals lined up in the center (and maybe stage striking)
-Taunt cancelling

I think this would be fun to do, and if I make it a simple .iso patcher then I think a lot of people might use it on their Wii.
We have an iso like this for Melee Netplay. A patcher would be nice.

Kou

Smash Apprentice
-Unlock everything
-C-stick in 1P mode
-Taunt cancelling

I think taunt canceling shouldn't be introduced.
For example, Fox can hang on to ledge when he taunts at the verge of ledge if taunt canceling is active.
This is buff for fox.

NNID
dansalvato
I think taunt canceling shouldn't be introduced.
For example, Fox can hang on to ledge when he taunts at the verge of ledge if taunt canceling is active.
This is buff for fox.
Good point, thanks for making me aware of this. I wouldn't include taunt cancelling, then.

Kou

Smash Apprentice
I'm glad your agreement.

I'm reallllllllllllllly looking forward to the patch.

Erinaceus

Smash Rookie
Awesome that you're doing this, IE.

How easy is it to modify base character attributes, like weight? I'm pretty interested in modding melee and if this is at all feasible I'd like to learn how to do it.

Another vote that the tourney rules launch would be amazing, by the way. A suggestion, add some way of making players spawn in neutral spots? Would be nice to not have to memorize the controller slots for each stage. It would actually be great if you could just pick spawn locations, but I could understand that being hard to implement.

Would it be possible to remove port priority and instead institute technicals, or something similar? Just add like 12 frames of hitstun on each player if they grab at exactly the same time.

Oh, and could you disable the bad transformations on Pokemon Stadium? Or just disable all of them, for that matter, but that wouldn't be quite as fun :p

NNID
dansalvato
Awesome that you're doing this, IE.

How easy is it to modify base character attributes, like weight? I'm pretty interested in modding melee and if this is at all feasible I'd like to learn how to do it.

Another vote that the tourney rules launch would be amazing, by the way. A suggestion, add some way of making players spawn in neutral spots? Would be nice to not have to memorize the controller slots for each stage. It would actually be great if you could just pick spawn locations, but I could understand that being hard to implement.

Would it be possible to remove port priority and instead institute technicals, or something similar? Just add like 12 frames of hitstun on each player if they grab at exactly the same time.

Oh, and could you disable the bad transformations on Pokemon Stadium? Or just disable all of them, for that matter, but that wouldn't be quite as fun :p

Last night I considered a code to automatically spawn in neutral locations. It's probably doable, so I'll look into it.
There are already codes that freeze Yoshi's Story, FoD, Dreamland, and Pokemon Stadium.
I won't mess with port priority because that's changing the game mechanics, and my modding focus isn't in improving game mechanics. Melee is an old game and the premier mechanics-related mod is Project M.
Character base attributes are all documented and easy to modify in a hex editor, but you have to know what you're doing. Eventually I hope to update Melee Toolkit with better support for character files, so you can very easily edit these attributes.

NNID
dansalvato
Good news!! I created a new 16:9 Widescreen code with 100% compatibility. This means it works in menus, stages, and even the HUD. I did this because my old code only affected the stage and not the HUD, meaning the HUD would be stretched on-screen. With this new code, everything is properly formatted for widescreen, and there is no stretching. I updated the OP with the new code.

Hopefully I'll also get around to fixing some of my other codes, such as the crashing reported with the input delay test, and the salty runback code conflicting with ragequits.

Kou

Smash Apprentice
I hope you will also write about how to modifying .iso for perfect widescreen. :)

ShockSlayer

Smash Cadet
Good news!! I created a new 16:9 Widescreen code with 100% compatibility. This means it works in menus, stages, and even the HUD. I did this because my old code only affected the stage and not the HUD, meaning the HUD would be stretched on-screen. With this new code, everything is properly formatted for widescreen, and there is no stretching. I updated the OP with the new code.
*dances*

I can't wait to test it out and play around with it.
EDIT:

What I get when I load the code in dolphin. Using 1.02.

SS

EDIT2: Tried it in a newer version of Dolphin and the error message is mostly the same, it just also says "Master codes are not needed. Do not use master codes"

NNID
dansalvato
*dances*

I can't wait to test it out and play around with it.
EDIT:

What I get when I load the code in dolphin. Using 1.02.

SS

EDIT2: Tried it in a newer version of Dolphin and the error message is mostly the same, it just also says "Master codes are not needed. Do not use master codes"

It's a Gecko code, not an AR code. You have to add it as a Gecko code, and to do so I think you need to manually edit the game's config file (GALE01.ini) and paste it to the bottom of the file in this format:

$Widescreen
[code here]
[empty line at bottom of file]

Then, enable the code in Melee's properties and you're good.

ShockSlayer

Smash Cadet
Added it as a gecko code and it worked!

Kou's right. The foreground shader just needs to be told to continue to render at 3 instead of 4. Everything else looks amazing though!

SS

Kadano

Magical Express
-Taunt cancelling
Taunt canceling is not tournament compatible. Fox can edgehog with his taunt this way very quickly.
Also, a few requests that would pave the road to a perfect .iso:
1. NTSC icon size sucks, especially for team matches. So PAL codes or (even better) a code for tweaking the size / vertical pixel offset of stock icons and percent display would be really great.

2. Including codes that aren’t necessarily improvements (16:9 hack for playing on 4:3 CRTs, all gameplay-changing codes) as a trainer / extra options menu would be incredibly good. I do understand this would take a lot of time before. I remember reading about a trainer for SSBM someone made in ~2005, but I just can’t find it now.

3. If these requests aren’t worth the effort for you, it would be great if you could link me to some guides or, if those don’t exist, give me short instructions on how to find and convert codes (I don’t understand that Dolphin function at all).

ShockSlayer

Smash Cadet
Here's that trainer: gc-forever.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=30 (near the bottom of the page)

As far as using it goes, I talked to crediar on twitter about the source and he said "it uses an unreleased custom LIB and it would be way easier to write one from scratch with todays LIBs."

Also, I've been loving the latest widescreen hack, any headway on the foreground shader's FOV?

SS

iffy525

Smash Apprentice
Yeah so I guess the problem for me is that the input delay tester code doesn't convert to wiird properly, and I don't know enough to fix it.
Code:
Input Delay Tester (v1.02, Gecko) [InternetExplorer]:
No WiiRD CodeType for GCN AR CodeType- 32bit equal bitwise next line.
No WiiRD CodeType for GCN AR CodeType- Increment.
No WiiRD CodeType for GCN AR CodeType- 8bit signed greater next line.
48000000 808200B4
DE000000 80008180
10546007 00000039
E2000001 80008000
48000000 808200B8
DE000000 80008180
10800400 00000000
E2000001 80008000
28C00000 FF9B0064
E2000001 80008000
48000000 81820054
DE000000 80008180
10480000 00000004
E2000001 80008000
2260077B 40820008
28000024 FF000078
29000000 FFBA0045
E2000001 80008000
28000004 FF000001
2AE40004 FF000064
E2000001 80008000
28E00000 FFFB0004
28000058 FF00007F
2AC50518 FF000024
28C00000 FFE3001C
2AC50520 FF000028
E2000001 80008000
2AC5052C FF000030
2AC50534 FF000000
29FFFF80 38000001
2A040000 FF00005C
28000000 FFFF0000
2A040004 FF000004
E2000001 80008000
No WiiRD CodeType for GCN AR CodeType- 32bit equal bitwise next line.
You can see which lines are the trouble makers. (This is after converting the original code using GCN AR to WiiRD Codetype Converter)

Top Bottom