• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MELEE-FC10R Legacy...is done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
Tim/Jeff, when can we get the MELEE-FC10R cover screen to be used at the beginning of all the recorded vids?
if you have chromes YouTube downloader you can just download it off our YouTube page

:phone:

machinegungeek

Smash Apprentice
I wasn't at the tourney, so I can't complain, but the Top 8 (or X, or whatever) final pools round raises a serious question: What happens if the Top 3 finish in a triangle (let's say all w/ 3-2 set counts) and 3-0 everyone else? This is a bit hypothetical, but I could totally see an HBox/Mango/PP triangle happening.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I wasn't at the tourney, so I can't complain, but the Top 8 (or X, or whatever) final pools round raises a serious question: What happens if the Top 3 finish in a triangle (let's say all w/ 3-2 set counts) and 3-0 everyone else? This is a bit hypothetical, but I could totally see an HBox/Mango/PP triangle happening.
The same way you handle it in regular pools. If there is an exact 3 way tie (exact same scores) generally TOs will have those players play each other again. Full sets are recommended but single games can help save time. This is done until the scores are not exactly even (I haven't seen it happen with more than 1 round of rematches)

CanISmash

Smash Lord
Elmont LI, Queens. Philadelphia during semesters.
Amazing tourney guys. Really appreciate all the hard work you put in from today and through the years. Simply as a spectator of the FCs they all have looked amazing. And part of the reason I started playing melee along with a few other youtube vids.

Awesome tournament format, thank you for opening up some stages. Awesome matches all around.

One question since I watched the final day video on archive since I was busy... what happened with the crew battle? are vids somewhere? if so where at and no spoilers please!

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Are there any decks of cards left over? I was interested in buying one but didn't have cash at the time.

Habefiet

Smash Journeyman
Okay, so I still stand by my thoughts that the Top 8 RR could be tweaked a little although some of the arguments presented here are making me reconsider. I look forward to this debate playing out. I need to organize my thoughts on the issue before I post any further on that. But seriously, regarding hype, I wanna hear from two groups of people:

1. People who weren't there complaining that it kills the hype. Okay I will admit that I had SERIOUS doubts about this. I expressed the thought more than once that it was going to be stupid and anti-hype. I've rarely been more wrong about anything in my life. The hype was absolutely through the roof. What makes a Top X-many RR anti-hype, now that we've seen evidence that this was not the case? I'd understand some of the arguments against hype if they were made in advance, I mean, I made some of them myself when discussing it with friends, but all the arguments I had were proven outright wrong and I admit it freely.

2. Anyone who WAS there who thought it was anti-hype. Do such people even exist? Pretty sure the number of people that have already said this was a favorite or THE favorite event of theirs (including the only two of the top eight that have posted thus far, IIRC), and all the people present defending it or saying they've outright converted to thinking this should be the standard format, are a good indicator of just how good this was.

I just don't see anything resembling hype-killer. Completely the opposite. I want the people who said it was janky and no-hype and why did this happen to explain WHY they thought it was so horribly lame.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
I think the only thing antihype about it was that we couldn't get to top 8 on day two. Having to play bracket matches at 930 in the morning must have been a little tough on the guys, but if they slept like they should have, its doable.

hungrybox

Smash Legend
Orlando, FL (walking distance from the Loop)
Something you guys might consider. I've often thought about the idea of doing pools in final 8 man bracket, and then taking the top 2 and completing a continuation 2 man bracket type thing.

Example, Mango got first and Hbox got 2nd in the pool. They play one more set. Mango wins? It's over. Hbox wins, they go to set 3 just like if it was grand finals.

This will give you the accuracy of doing a round robin for top 8, but also give you the hype you can only get from double elimination grand finals.
I was kinda thinking this too.

Round Robin top 8 was great...but I think the finals should have been Bo3 sets.

Wikipedia

Smash Lord
Where are the livestream archives I'm dying to watch the round robin games! And all of hax/s2j in losers bracket.

*i meant hax/darkrain

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer

I can definitely see why you'd want that, dropping 1 set the duration of a tournament and getting second can definitely feel a bit disheartening.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
For me, this was literally the best tournament ive been to ever. The hype was insane, Top 6 + Top 8 was fun as hell because you have 100% chance to fight your rivals and settle the score with them if you had some beef before hand. You could play anyone at anytime you want, the tournament was very well run... It was an awesome ride in the ship of fools. And I got to drink with Mango and do stupid **** with him, all my wishes were all pretty much granted.. soo happy I went to this.

Edit: I'll do some real shoutouts later.

Edit2: I can't wait to see some pics too! I wonder who has them?

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
Our plan in the rulebook was to have them play out a single-elim tournament with the 3 seeds based on round record, so the best round record would get a "bye" while the 2-3s play it off. If there was an exact tie by rounds as well, then...maybe would have had a playoff of some kind. But that leads me to this:

The same way you handle it in regular pools. If there is an exact 3 way tie (exact same scores) generally TOs will have those players play each other again. Full sets are recommended but single games can help save time. This is done until the scores are not exactly even (I haven't seen it happen with more than 1 round of rematches)
Usually there's not time to hold up the whole tournament for this, so we've never ever done this. But I think I've only seen an exact tie (sets and rounds) two or three times in the hundreds of pools I've run, so...yeah. It's pretty rare. Usually the rounds can tiebreak it for you. We did not want to use rounds as the tiebreaker here.

Sorry guys, got really sick and literally slept for about 25 of the last 32 hours. I'll try to get a results post up at lunch for people to use.

KishSquared

Smash Master

By doing it that way, people get the 'double-elim' feeling people accustomed to, and it also reduces the risk of an anti-climactic ending to the tournament.

On the flipside, you're giving the #2 seed a second chance at life that no one else in the top8 RR was given. A lot of people are complaining about fairness, yet we're now suggesting that the #2 player gets another shot against #1. That's a heck of a deal for #2.
I know this depersonalizes it a bit, but these are my thoughts on the matter. I understand your point that, compared to a normal DE ending, you feel robbed of a second chance against Mango. That's expected since we're accustomed to Bo3 sets at the end of a tournament. Still, everyone else only got one shot at Mango, and while one could make the argument that you 'earned' a second chance, one could just as easily make the argument that Mango had earned his victory at that point.

As Prime also said, the goal of a tournament is to avoid as many rematches as possible. Facing the same person twice is actually an unfortunate side-effect to DE brackets - in fact, the loser's bracket must be done correctly to avoid rematches, though that can only last for so long.

But regardless, it's an academic argument that likely won't convince anyone that wanted to see a full Bo3 set. I'm just laying out the reasons for doing things the way we did them.

Omnigamer

All the things
BRoomer
I have these matches, plus a bunch more that happened before them (R1/R2 Pools etc):

64 Teams Finals

PM Singles R2
-VanZ vs Only1Z
-HBox vs Diglob
-Squared vs Sveet
-Squared vs 4%
-Squared vs Big D
-4% vs Yakal
-JCaesar vs Tink
-Kels vs Tink
-Tink vs Chad
-Chillin vs Yakal

Singles Bracket
-Darkrain vs Cunning
-G$ vs Baka
-MattDotZeb vs Kels
-Shroomed vs Chad
-MOJO vs VanZ
-MOJO vs Axe

64 Singles Finals
-Battlecow vs Moogle

PM Singles Final Pool
-HBox vs Axe
-HBox vs Darkrain
-Darkrain vs Axe
-Darkrain vs Vro
-Kage vs Axe

Melee Singles Final Pool
-Darkrain vs Hbox
-Darkrain vs Sfat
-Hax vs Kage
-Kage vs Hax
-Hax vs Axe
-Kage vs Sfat
-Axe vs Kels
-Hax vs Kels

Vudujin

Smash Lord
Best Tournament I've ever been to.

Darkrain should be on Springer with how many paternity tests he's gonna have to sit through.

Hanging with Mango, Shroomed, Kage, Hax$, and Sfat was delightful. You guys are awesome!

Watching top 8 was sick. Congratulations to you fellas for playing so damn well.

Shoutouts to everyone I played in pools. Screw you Kels. You play better against Luigi than any Fox I know.

Shoutouts to the Kishes for organizing the best tourney ever.

Shoutouts to Texas for being underrated and extremely ****. I'll see you folks this Thanksgiving!!!

Shoutouts to awkward pauses in group conversations.

Shoutouts to Steak N Shake. I actually saw a server or two just walk out under THA PRESSHAAAHH!!!

WHY IS AXE SO GOOOOOOD?!?!?!?!?!

Misfire > Batmobile

Emilywaves > Milktea

That is all for now.

I love this community.

The Good Doctor

Smash Champion
Best Tournament I've ever been to.

Darkrain should be on Springer with how many paternity tests he's gonna have to sit through.

Hanging with Mango, Shroomed, Kage, Hax$, and Sfat was delightful. You guys are awesome!

Watching top 8 was sick. Congratulations to you fellas for playing so damn well.

Shoutouts to everyone I played in pools. Screw you Kels. You play better against Luigi than any Fox I know.

Shoutouts to the Kishes for organizing the best tourney ever.

Shoutouts to Texas for being underrated and extremely ****. I'll see you folks this Thanksgiving!!!

Shoutouts to awkward pauses in group conversations.

Shoutouts to Steak N Shake. I actually saw a server or two just walk out under THA PRESSHAAAHH!!!

WHY IS AXE SO GOOOOOOD?!?!?!?!?!

Misfire > Batmobile

Emilywaves > Milktea

That is all for now.

I love this community.
Honestly, I wanted to see what she was doing after the tournament. Girls dig doctors.

BIG C

Smash Master
Usually there's not time to hold up the whole tournament for this, so we've never ever done this. But I think I've only seen an exact tie (sets and rounds) two or three times in the hundreds of pools I've run, so...yeah. It's pretty rare. Usually the rounds can tiebreak it for you. We did not want to use rounds as the tiebreaker here.
Heh I was one of these at FC3 I believe it was Watty, Some other Samus player (maybe NCBobby), and me. We played rock paper scissor for seeds.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I request that my game vs trail from r2 pools be uploaded omni. People need to see dk vs. ICs

:phone:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom