• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - EVO 2013 (Breast Cancer Research Drive) Melee @ Evo2k13 Donation Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

MajorMoses

Smash Journeyman
I'd start getting nervous guys... http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.ph...on-drive-thursday-jan-24th-at-8pm-pst.174874/

They have pledged $3300 and someone matching. That makes $6600 on top of their $6000+ already. They can close in very VERY quickly, especially if people know its possible.

:phone:
Think of it this way. The people who are pledging the $3300 only count once. They're also some of the most devoted people in their fanbase. Same deal with us. Except, unlike us, they don't have a huge number of fans willing to donate the small numbers. I have trouble imagining them reaching $2000 before matching. Hell, I don't think they'll reach $1500. That being said, I would bet that the matchers will give away their $3300 regardless of whether they reach their goal or not. But instead of $6600, I'm expecting something like $4800 to $5300. Still a pretty serious threat and it leaves us in danger of some easy sniping if we don't improve. But I trust that we'll shut them out with our second donation drive.

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar

Revven

FrankerZ
Think of it this way. The people who are pledging the $3300 only count once. They're also some of the most devoted people in their fanbase. Same deal with us. Except, unlike us, they don't have a huge number of fans willing to donate the small numbers. I have trouble imagining them reaching $2000 before matching. Hell, I don't think they'll reach $1500. That being said, I would bet that the matchers will give away their $3300 regardless of whether they reach their goal or not. But instead of $6600, I'm expecting something like $4800 to $5300. Still a pretty serious threat and it leaves us in danger of some easy sniping if we don't improve. But I trust that we'll shut them out with our second donation drive.
Skullgirls' donations have slowed down in the last few days. I'm like 99% sure the people who were continually donating to it (you know, the ones who made it grow about 1k a day) have stopped because of the donation drive tonight. They're going to donate tonight instead of donating at a constant flow.

So they'll spend all their money in one night and potentially lose any continual momentum they had going over the last week. Similar to how Melee is right now (except Melee didn't have a constant flow before the donation drive). Unless like there's tons of people who suddenly plan to donate at a constant flow after the drive, I really can't see SG having more donations come in once the drive is said and done.

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!

Lovage

Smash Hero
i predict SG will bring it a bit closer, but won't win

i hope all the local tournies this weekend can contribute some to the drive. mostly just a donation hat for kids w/o paypals

Atlus8

Smash Master
I too think it's gonna be close, but the pressure is much more on them! Their community is still less than a year old so they really need to reach out of their own community to get the push they need! Definitely gonna follow their stream tonight!

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
i predict SG will bring it a bit closer, but won't win
i hope all the local tournies this weekend can contribute some to the drive. mostly just a donation hat for kids w/o paypals
Think this as well

On another note, Melee had donated $14,444.44

Please don't change this number (or make it 15,000.00) lol

smashmachine

Smash Lord
I don't see the point of holding back donations, it's better to bury them early instead of waiting until the very end

C.SDK

Smash Ace
It's a common tactic to win things within a timeframe. It happens on Ebay all the time. People don't really start bidding until the auction is almost over.

smashmachine

Smash Lord
It's a common tactic to win things within a timeframe. It happens on Ebay all the time. People don't really start bidding until the auction is almost over.
you know that's not how this donation drive is going to work, it's a lot harder for a whole community to snipe compared to a single person

C.SDK

Smash Ace
you know that's not how this donation drive is going to work, it's a lot harder for a whole community to snipe compared to a single person
Oh. Okay, dude. That's why the SSBM drive didn't easily jump over 10k in a few hours by matching donations. Oh wait

Skull Girls can easily do the same and iirc, they're matching donations too. This is why people shouldn't get too comfortable because the amount they've donated can easily jump like Melee within a small timeframe and it's an effective tactic to do it towards the end to catch people offguard.

smashmachine

Smash Lord
Oh. Okay, dude. That's why the SSBM drive didn't easily jump over 10k in a few hours by matching donations. Oh wait

Skull Girls can easily do the same and iirc, they're matching donations too. This is why people shouldn't get too comfortable because the amount they've donated can easily jump like Melee within a small timeframe and it's an effective tactic to do it towards the end to catch people offguard.
that's.....exactly what i was saying dude
I know they can do matching donations, and so can we, but that doesn't mean "sit around and do nothing in between drives"

C.SDK

Smash Ace
In that case, people hold off on donating to catch people offguard. For example, who would expect Brawl to jump to 20k in the last few hours? Brawl would win. My point about Ebay still stands regardless if it's just one person or not. I once had my eye on an item and was sure I would win and in the last moment, it jumped quite considerably and I couldn't afford it anymore.

You're right that it might be better to just bury them early but it's all about psyching each other out. After everyone has donated, is that all they will donate? Will they donate in the last moment? Who knows. If you recall when the amount of what's been donated so far wasn't public, people didn't know whether they should donate more or not. It's the same idea.

fatman667

Smash Journeyman
Well SG raised up about $600 within the past 10 minutes or so, they're at $7594 as of now.

EDIT: They're at $8561 as of now, that's like over $1500 raised in total within the last 10 minutes, but I'm not scared that we'll lose our place.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Edit: **** that they jumped up another 1000. They're pretty much on par with our drive so far. But they don't seem to have the same constant flow of cash as we did, they definitely have some people putting up big money but it's stopped now. We'll see if more people come in and put up money although they said there's 260$ from a tournamenet that's going in and obviously being matched.

Revven

FrankerZ
$600 isn't much in a span of 20 minutes now (they started at 8 PM PST). But the end result is what will matter so *shrugs*

See you all in the morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom