• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - EVO 2013 (Breast Cancer Research Drive) Melee @ Evo2k13 Donation Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
That's the reality of it. Cancer is a 125 billion dollar industry in the US alone. Its no wonder that the people who are getting the majority of this money want to protect it.

If anybody has netflix, just look up Burzynski. That's just one example. The problem is that if you try to explain that to anyone, it is such a sensitive subject that you will be immediately chastised. People don't want to believe that things like antineoplastons completely cure cancer in 1/4~ patients, yet it has been ignored, attacked, and suppressed by the FDA.

Stargazer

Smash Rookie
http://www.equestriadaily.com/2013/01/fighting-is-magic-losing-big-time-in.html

The Bronies have finally noticed. It'll be interesting to see how much further they jump. Not that they're a threat to us being there or anything but it'd be nice to get that $1000 pot bonus.
I was hoping for this. I was pleased when they asked to step down from the spot light but when the pot idea popped up I thought that if we won we'd at least could probably interest people in giving the game a shot. It'd be good publicity for an indy game that put a lot of heart into making it out to be a decent fighter with no intentions of profiting from it.

Looks like the Bronies jumped ship though sadly...

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
it's good to see that we're maintaining our lead. that donation drive from the sg community might be scary though. we'll have to be ready fight back, the lead could change in no time. we managed about 10k in a day, so could any other gaming community

Scar

#HarveyDent
Gonna ask Bionic to update the top message to "Can you spare $5 or more?"

Definitely would love to get the word out to everyone that even $5 will go a LONG way if everyone who hasn't donated can pitch in.

Number 13

Smash Rookie
When this donation fundraiser ends and is passed, regardless who wins no hard feelings at the end of the day okay?

You guys kicked ***, put your $ where your mouth is, and made other "fighter game" communities look idle in comparison. I almost don't mind seeing SG come 2nd behind Melee after seeing how passionate your community really is. However, despite our much smaller size we are equally as passionate(alot of it due to Mike Z and crew having great interaction with the community on a regular basis). Good luck and nice job for all of us raising 30k+ so far

edit: BrandX your the kind of person that someone would buy a drink for lol

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Good ****. I mean, at the end of the day we're all winners for passing the bronies...even if we needed a rule change to do it.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
Anyone that honestly thinks that someone is "hiding the cure" for cancer is beyond ****ing stupid. First off, there isn't going to be one "cure" for cancer, as there are a ton of different types with totally different symptoms and treatments. Also, hiding the cure would need collusion on the level of which we've never seen before, all from the same greedy companies that supposedly would sell your soul for a dime. Anyone looking for more should read this post:

http://www.reddit.com/r/skeptic/comments/16oh0j/my_friend_just_keeps_blasting_away_with/c7xw9a0
I wouldn't go with the name-calling but the rest of this is basically the case. I would encourage people to spend more time considering the science however, than debating the profit-motives of corporations. I also posted earlier in this thread that the particular charity being donated to is among the highest-rated from independent charity evaluators for transparency.

BrandX

Smash Ace
When this donation fundraiser ends and is passed, regardless who wins no hard feelings at the end of the day okay?

You guys kicked ***, put your $ where your mouth is, and made other "fighter game" communities look idle in comparison. I almost don't mind seeing SG come 2nd behind Melee after seeing how passionate your community really is. However, despite our much smaller size we are equally as passionate(alot of it due to Mike Z and crew having great interaction with the community on a regular basis). Good luck and nice job for all of us raising 30k+ so far

edit: BrandX your the kind of person that someone would buy a drink for lol
Lol Thanks dude, nice to know that.

Yeah, at least in the end no one really loses~

Neuron_Panzer

Smash Rookie
SG has a very real chance of passing you lot today - but more than that, if you do the math, they've had far more consistent growth since Melee it on me. They've gone up by a lot in that period, Smash very little since that fundraiser ends. Even if they don't pass you today, if they hold their momentum they probably will in the days following.

I hope you're all ready for a second push...

Zoler

Smash Ace
Guys I'm sure there's a lot of people that hasn't donated yet. If we hold another donation drive it would seal the deal.

I've only donated $15 so far and I bet a lot of others only donated small amounts too. I'm poor and I'm willing to throw in quite a bit more. I'm pretty sure SG has no chance at this point. (unless they have some hidden rich guy)

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Our growth has slowed because we're so far ahead, btw. If we felt even threatened by SG, trust me, we'd get see more phenomenal growth.

Zoler

Smash Ace
Our growth has slowed because we're so far ahead, btw. If we felt even threatened by SG, trust me, we'd get see more phenomenal growth.
Exactly this. I'm not nervous in the least.

It's always good to be organized though, another fundraiser should be organized, I hope Scar and prog (or anyone famous with a lot of followers) can do this again.

Eval

Smash Journeyman
I haven't donated either and I'm willing to throw in $25+ just in case. I wanna go to Evo this year so bad.

Warrior of Zarona

変身
BRoomer
I am promoting this at Smashacre, giving away $50 Gamestop gift card and giving everyone a chance to win it for every $5 donated. It's a bit of a last minute small thing, but remember guys that every little bit goes a long way!

BrandX

Smash Ace
In my opinion...I just want this fundraiser to end, I'm kinda getting tired XD

It's been slow lately for both sides and all I've been doing lately has been playing SkullGirls and Project M (Nothing else lol)
But I guess the show must go on, guess we continue till someone wins lol

Maybe I should watch some Panty and Stocking to mix up this last week with...

Panty and Stocking for EVO201-wait that's not on the list? Dammit...

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
Good thing payday is just before the drive ends for me.
In the mean time I'll be scrounging around the house for anything, because every bit helps right?

Fletch

Smash Master
Thanks dude

There have been several cures developed over the years, all of which have been suppressed in way or another. Cancer is a huge business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWLrfNJICeM
When the video you posted starts off spouting cancer rates being higher now than they were in the past, you know it's filled with bull****. Obviously this is the case, but this is the result of better health care. People are living longer and what happens when they live longer? The old age leads to more people forming cancer and consequently dying from it. Cancer rates are actually about the same or better in every instance if you account for age. Would you rather we stop treating people early on, and have them die from things like malaria? That would keep the cancer rates down quite a bit.

I wouldn't go with the name-calling but the rest of this is basically the case. I would encourage people to spend more time considering the science however, than debating the profit-motives of corporations. I also posted earlier in this thread that the particular charity being donated to is among the highest-rated from independent charity evaluators for transparency.
Sorry for the name-calling, but anyone that doesn't recognize the basic economic incentives for why there would be no reason whatsoever to hide a cure for cancer, and uses this reason to tell people not to donate or whatever is pretty damn scummy. The insurance companies and big pharma do plenty of scummy things, but you'd have to really be out there to believe they would hide cures when it would simply hurt their bottom line. It's not good business, and collusion would be on a scale we have never seen before for it to even happen.

Stevo

Smash Champion
We are going to be having some charity Money matches in our area. Money won going to Breast Cancer Research in melee's name.

Just an idea for other people to use if they want.

MajorMoses

Smash Journeyman
Can somebody please donate $9.49 just so we can have $14,444.44 for a little bit?

I've really given all I can for this already.

EDIT: Also, it looks like Maximillion supports us. That's a pretty big deal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-DaGIww1Xsc

FURTHER EDIT: Oh God, they're really bad. Well, at least they're trying. I'm surprised Maximillion knows about extending Marth's recovery with side-B.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
lolol screen cap that ****. nd who exactly is Maximillian? People in the SG thread felt let down that he plugged us over them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom