• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Megaman, Pac-Man, and Sonic = THE perfect 3rd party trifecta (PAC-MAN CONFIRMED THE DREAM IS REAL!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
I agree on the principle that Pacman is important to Nintendo. There have been many Pacman games on Nintendo systems, but overall, Pacman seems more important to gaming in general given his arcade cabinets. I don't think that diminishes his chances in any way, however.

The only issue with Pacman (and all 3rd parties) support is securing rights and, of course, limited inclusion in Smash. With Namco already helping with the game, I can see that obtaining the rights to one of their characters would be very easy. Snake is also in a similar situation. Sakurai and Kojima are friends, so securing rights for Snake is also very easy. People question Snake's inclusion for several reasons, but the only reasons with any validity are: 1.) overall 3rd party support limitations and 2.) development time.

I would see a Namco character as suffering from the same main problems. Then comes the problem of which Namco rep to choose. I think Pacman would be the most likely choice giving his immense popularity and wide appeal. However, Lloyd Irving from Tales of Symphonia has some popularity. He is a suitable second choice, but likely would not be the most hyped choice.

That said, I'm for Pacman. Seems like a logical choice and one I would be okay with if they keep him "classic." Much like was done with Megaman. Though I wouldn't expect more 3rd parties - no need to get our hopes up. I think, if anything, we'll get Snake's return. But, who knows? I may be surprised.

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
Snake is a must he is way too unique and an awesome realistic character compared to most of the cast.
Just a personal opinion on my part, but that's one of the reasons I didn't like him. The rest of the cast is colorful, weird, and far from looking like standard humans, so Snake, Marth, Roy, those guys always stood out and looked pretty awkward to me. Again, just my own opinion, and I know it's not one that's shared, but I typically avoided them just because I felt like they didn't fit in.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
That interview put Snake's certainty into doubt so I'm leaning towards Pac.

Or Simon Belmont

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
He could be trolling you know. I'm leaning towards that he's back.
True, Kojima is the one true troll of game development. To the point where it becomes hard to tell if he just doesn't simply hate his audience.

Marakatu

Smash Ace
Don't you think that Kojima would just say "no" if Snake was not in the game?
But if Snake was indeed in the new Super Smash Bros, he would probably wait until Snake was confirmed to say anything.

I thought that Snake could be cut, but after that interview I'm counting him in.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
I agree on the principle that Pacman is important to Nintendo. There have been many Pacman games on Nintendo systems, but overall, Pacman seems more important to gaming in general given his arcade cabinets. I don't think that diminishes his chances in any way, however.

The only issue with Pacman (and all 3rd parties) support is securing rights and, of course, limited inclusion in Smash. With Namco already helping with the game, I can see that obtaining the rights to one of their characters would be very easy. Snake is also in a similar situation. Sakurai and Kojima are friends, so securing rights for Snake is also very easy. People question Snake's inclusion for several reasons, but the only reasons with any validity are: 1.) overall 3rd party support limitations and 2.) development time.

I would see a Namco character as suffering from the same main problems. Then comes the problem of which Namco rep to choose. I think Pacman would be the most likely choice giving his immense popularity and wide appeal. However, Lloyd Irving from Tales of Symphonia has some popularity. He is a suitable second choice, but likely would not be the most hyped choice.

That said, I'm for Pacman. Seems like a logical choice and one I would be okay with if they keep him "classic." Much like was done with Megaman. Though I wouldn't expect more 3rd parties - no need to get our hopes up. I think, if anything, we'll get Snake's return. But, who knows? I may be surprised.
I've always seen Kojima as a teenager who can't make up his mind. He bashes the Gamecube, asks Sakurai to put Snake in Melee, bashes Wii, gets Snake in Brawl, and now he isn't porting MGSV to the Wii U. He'll agree with you, as long as it benefits him.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I've always seen Kojima as a teenager who can't make up his mind. He bashes the Gamecube, asks Sakurai to put Snake in Melee, bashes Wii, gets Snake in Brawl, and now he isn't porting MGSV to the Wii U. He'll agree with you, as long as it benefits him.
When did he bash the Gamecube and/or Wii?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Ignoring the Snake factor for a minute, If all three were in there would be a lotta reunions. Mario and Sonic were in the Olympics, Mario and Pac went cart racing, Sonic and Mega Man's comics crossed over, warped versions of Pac-Man and Mega Man appeared in Street Fighter X Tekken and Mario and Mega Man had appeared in German Nintendo comics together.

To recap that's
Mario/Sonic
Mario/Pac-Man
Mario/Mega Man
Mega Man/Sonic
Mega Man/Pac-Man

The only crossover that hasn't yet happened is Sonic meets Pac-Man.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I would like to think that Snake still has a spot on the roster as well. But I do think that Pac-Man would fit in very well into Smash Bros. He's got a good history with Nintendo and he's clearly a legendary character of sorts. I think the only real doubts people might have with Pac-Man is his moveset potential. I'm personally fine with the third party characters we have now, Megaman and Sonic. They fit in really well, and Megaman was my most wanted character in Smash until he was finally confirmed.

Raetah

Smash Journeyman
Just a personal opinion on my part, but that's one of the reasons I didn't like him. The rest of the cast is colorful, weird, and far from looking like standard humans, so Snake, Marth, Roy, those guys always stood out and looked pretty awkward to me. Again, just my own opinion, and I know it's not one that's shared, but I typically avoided them just because I felt like they didn't fit in.
Yes, because being a blue-haired prince with a legendary sword is clearly the classical standard human (;D).
Also, i dont think that Fire Emblem characters are far from other characters like The Legend Of Zelda characters, Captain Falcon or Samus (without the power suit) or even Pokemon Trainer (without Pokemons he just looks like a normal person) after all. The elf-like ears of Link, Zelda and Sheik or the the equipment of Captain Falcon or Samus dont makes him really much different from Humans. Just compare FE with TLOZ, in both franchises characters dress ancient-like clothes and just FEW differences from the real human. At least in therms of proportions, in contrast to the the deformed bodies of Mario, Luigi, Peach, Toon Link, Lucas or Ness. SSB have both of those human styles since the beginning, in Smash almost anything fits, the only thing i think that it would be out of place is a creepy deformed mutilated covered in blood monster of a Survival Horror game.
Also, you MUST hate Little Mac, he is even more Human than Snake. it could fit perfectly in any Generic fighting game.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I don't really think Pac-Man's needed for it to be "perfect".

Neither would a lot of other people, if it weren't for Namco working on this game.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
What kind of person could hate Snake? :(

That said, I'm skeptical of his return this time, just so I won't be disappointed if he's not there.

Granted, these guys do represent perfect third party distribution, although if I can't have Snake, I'm going to make a VERY strong argument for Simon Belmont, who's arguably as important to Nintendo as Mega Man, and definitely more important than Sonic or Pac-Man.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
care to elaborate. i see this all the time and not once has anyone given me a good reason why he "Doesnt fit."
hmm i guess in the same way snake did not fit. basically it feels like a drift from the original goal for the selected characters sonic grew along and close to Nintendo but snake drifted off and became very different it more or less would be wired for such a character with such loose ends with Nintendo to actually make the game. (this is all opinionated of course.) Its not that i exactly don't want him in. but pack man did not evolve like the other characters most people i know don't even know he grew legs or has other games. I just think it would be bad publicity wise.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
hmm i guess in the same way snake did not fit. basically it feels like a drift from the original goal for the selected characters sonic grew along and close to Nintendo but snake drifted off and became very different it more or less would be wired for such a character with such loose ends with Nintendo to actually make the game. (this is all opinionated of course.) Its not that i exactly don't want him in. but pack man did not evolve like the other characters most people i know don't even know he grew legs or has other games. I just think it would be bad publicity wise.
ok so its not an aesthetic or moveset thing with u, its just the fact that he's 3rd party?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I've heard a lot of people saying Pac-Man shouldn't be in as he's well past his prime.

To those people I say, he's in good company

Aw snap.

Last edited:

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
What kind of person could hate Snake? :(
*raises hand*

Let me elaborate:
I don't hate Snake. I hate Snake in Smash. It's a game for Nintendo's All-Stars. Snake had only been in one Nintendo game in his series, but two overall. He isn't a Nintendo All-Star, no matter how you spin.

Last edited:

lurxy

Smash Cadet
NNID
lurxylux
Switch FC
SW 7645 5399 8874
I kind of hated the idea of Pacman being playable but the more I am reading here, the more i want him.

Especially because for me the only companies which deserve a fighter in Smash Bros are SEGA, Capcom, Konami, Namco and Square-Enix. All of them have had quite the history with Nintendo. And for me those five together with Nintendo are the big names of gaming.
Companies like Ubisoft, EA or Activision may be as old as these, but those five cleared the way for them.

For me Sonic, Megaman and Pacman are the most logical choice. If there will be another 3rd Party I hope it would be Simon Belmont. I liked Snake, but I always felt Simon would be the better choice. Imagine a NES Battle between Megaman, Simon Belmont, Pacman and Mario.

fill

20EggsEggs
no metal gear for the wii u, i don't think there is going to be a snake...
but namco bandai working on the game, pacman already having games on the nintendo...he's in

april first they should show snakes box, then have pac-man come from underneath it

SuperLuigiTheIntalian

Smash Apprentice
NNID
sagablitz

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Well, this is just perfect. Having the 4 gaming icons fighting against each other will be a staple in history. There's absolutely NO WAY Namco can't acknowledge this. Look at this picture:

It looks so right...

(except it's wrong sizes. Too not canon size for Smash.)
Sorry guy but I can't agree with you there. I just don't see it. I guess it's just personal preference though cuz I could easily put Bomberman or Rayman instead of Pacman and say it's a good setup.
Does there really need to be a 3rd Party Trifecta? This isn't Nintendo All Stars Battle Royale. It's just gonna take attention away from the great 1st party characters and franchises being represented.
And why do we need Pacman just to compliment Sonic and Megaman? Sonic sure as hell didn't compliment Snake back in Brawl to be the "Perfect 3rd Party Duo"
Either Simon Belmont, Bomberman, Rayman, or Professor Layton could represent 3rd parties better than Pacman can.

Or just bring Snake back and be done with it. Let's focus on the 1st parties people.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
My personal ideal, which are all in a healthy number of ways relevent to nintendo;

-Sonic
-Megaman
-Bomberman
-Pacman
-Rayman
-Banjo Kazooie

No, I do not think that is too many in a very large roster, which, of course we are not getting in this game.

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
Sorry guy but I can't agree with you there. I just don't see it. I guess it's just personal preference though cuz I could easily put Bomberman or Rayman instead of Pacman and say it's a good setup.
Does there really need to be a 3rd Party Trifecta? This isn't Nintendo All Stars Battle Royale. It's just gonna take attention away from the great 1st party characters and franchises being represented.
And why do we need Pacman just to compliment Sonic and Megaman? Sonic sure as hell didn't compliment Snake back in Brawl to be the "Perfect 3rd Party Duo"
Either Simon Belmont, Bomberman, Rayman, or Professor Layton could represent 3rd parties better than Pacman can.

Or just bring Snake back and be done with it. Let's focus on the 1st parties people.
The reason Sonic didn't compliment Snake in Brawl was because Snake was a really weird addition in the first place. He has nearly no history with Nintendo at all. It's just that his developer was friends with Sakurai. On the other hand, I feel Sonic and Mario compliment each other very well, as do MegaMan, Sonic, and Mario together.

Pac-Man, on the other hand, has a huge history with Nintendo, and delightfully fits well into the Nintendo universe. He's happy, colorful, animated, and good-natured. Plus Namco and Nintendo have worked together several times in the past.

Honestly, if anyone at this point is saying that Pac-Man is unlikely, they either haven't checked the facts or they're in denial. I'm not saying he's 100% confirmed, but I am saying he's the most likely third-party addition to the game right now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom