• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Match Mindset: Rosalina vs Pikachu By Falln

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The first thing you see is the tumbnail, at which point it becomes a make or break situation. If you frequent this forum, the first thing you don't want to see is irl pics of people in cringe-worthy cosplay. Capps doesn't need to use an image to directly represent the article, but a better, more generalized one is more appealing (in the right ways) than waifu / furry / playgirl cosplay. At this point the cosplay thumbnails aren't being seen as "This article is about X character / their tech / combo video, check it out" but "Let's substitute a proper thumbnail for cosplay because they're in character." The only one that I don't hold to this standard is the combo videos, because unless there's a proper thumbnail already provided for it in the video, a cosplay makes more sense as a representation of the media (i.e. the Sheik CV article).

That cosplay was literally white blond shirtless male holding a Monado. The cosplay was average, the monado was alright.
And it isn't even about being offensive, it's completely jarring and nigh unrelated to the post to begin with. The subject matter being shulk didn't warrant dude nudes. Nothing screams "The solution to a recovery issue with shulk has been identified and explained properly" more than "shirtless guy with a monado."
What is it with waifu/furry/playgirl/*insert anime related fetish here* always playing into everything here? These cosplays are actually really good, they look like something you would see in Disneyland (if Nintendo had an equivalent). Like seriously:

How do you get "waifu/furry/playgirl" pandering from this? It's just a tasteful costume. If you think this is supposed to be provocative or pander to some fetish in some way, I don't wanna know what you're getting off to. This stuff is literally no different to what you'd find in Disneyland:

You can't "explain" something with a thumbnail, that's what the bloody title and article are for.

Seriously, I think there is something wrong with half you people here, it's like seeing a character in a video game is fine, but see a person that looks relatively similar dressing up in the outfit, and it's like the highest taboo has just been broken. The things this community sees as "issues" is ridiculous.

And the Shulk one is like that because that is what the outfit in Xenoblade/Smash is like.

Is Xenoblade/Smash suddenly showing "dude nudes" now for showing this?

Also, have you ever been to a public beach or swimming pool? Because that's what guys there would be wearing.

Who are these "y'all" you speak of? I've mained Shulk since the game came out and even before it did come out, I've loathed the swimsuit alt because it's incredibly stupid. I've never used it once, not even ironically, nor am I a memelord like most other dumb Shulk players. Don't lump people together stupidly like that, you just look ignorant.
You know, I find it ironic that a shirtless Shulk and cosplay of said Smash alt is bad, yet you are fine having an avatar of Rosalina where she is drawn almost completely naked, which is drawn by a hentai artist. Double standards, much?

Last edited:

sWiTcHeRoO [疾~斬]

The Visionary
NNID
Yuchkins
3DS FC
0130-2970-6312
You know, I find it ironic that a shirtless Shulk and cosplay of said Smash alt is bad, yet you are fine having an avatar of Rosalina where she is drawn almost completely naked, which is drawn by a hentai artist. Double standards, much?
It's called preference.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
What is it with waifu/furry/playgirl/*insert anime related fetish here* always playing into everything here? These cosplays are actually really good, they look like something you would see in Disneyland (if Nintendo had an equivalent).
That's your opinion, just as me finding them unappealing is mine. And I believe you were the one who brought waifu-ism into this argument when you claimed people were ok with the ZSS cosplay even though it was "meh" for no other reason than being zss.

How do you get "waifu/furry/playgirl" pandering from this? It's just a tasteful costume. If you think this is supposed to be provocative or pander to some fetish in some way, I don't wanna know what you're getting off to. This stuff is literally no different to what you'd find in Disneyland:
You're projecting. "waifu/furry/playgirl" is a generalization of what the cosplays will delve into considering what we've already got. It already has.

You can't "explain" something with a thumbnail, that's what the bloody title and article are for.
That's not what I'm arguing for. I want thumbails that better accompany the content of the article. Not just the character featured.
Seriously, I think there is something wrong with half you people here, it's like seeing a character in a video game is fine, but see a person that looks relatively similar dressing up in the outfit, and it's like the highest taboo has just been broken. The things this community sees as "issues" is ridiculous.
There's two sides of the spectrum. Not liking subjectively bad cosplay of a character you're fond of doesn't mean one has issues. Also, nice projecting.
*shulk *****
You're being quite dense. I said the cosplay of shulk was **** ("average") because it wasn't a cosplay. It was a half naked blond male holding a sword. Of course anyone familiar with shulk will recognize it as a "shirtless shulk cosplay" but the line of cosplay is drawn somewhere when just being naked counts. Is it still cosplay if I go out in the nude and say it's my OC fan character?

Way to dodge his rebuttal.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
That's your opinion, just as me finding them unappealing is mine. And I believe you were the one who brought waifu-ism into this argument when you claimed people were ok with the ZSS cosplay even though it was "meh" for no other reason than being zss.
It's one thing to find it unappealing, it's another to complain about it being inappropriate, which is the issue most people seem to have even with the Rosalina cosplay above. Which is stupid given the ZSS cosplays that have been posted, and stupid given the clear love for the BLATANTLY provocative Rosalina cosplay I posted in the thread. Some of the same people saying they love the cosplay I posted, are complaining about the Rosalina cosplay SmashCapps posted, even though his is A) much more tasteful, B) more in-character, and C) more impressive given it's a full outfit.

Some of these same people have also complained about the Shulk one, which also displays clear sexism and double standards. So it's OK for us to use provocative ZSS cosplay in the thumbnails, it's OK to post provocative Rosalina cosplay in the comments, but a shirtless Shulk (which isn't even inherently provocative - the guy wasn't flexing or anything) isn't OK?

And I don't know where you are getting this idea that he was "naked" from:

Same cosplayer as the one SmashCapps posted. As you can see, he is wearing bottoms. The picture SmashCapps posted simply didn't show his trunks in view, as it was an upper profile picture.

And once again, it IS cosplay, because Shulk actually has a canon shirtless look.

You're projecting. "waifu/furry/playgirl" is a generalization of what the cosplays will delve into considering what we've already got.
No, you're projecting:

There is literally no difference here. They are just mascot costumes, they are not supposed to be sexually appealing or appeal to a fetish. The only discernible difference is that one is fan-made and the other is officially licensed. You're insulting the cosplayers by assuming they are sexual deviants.

There's two sides of the spectrum. Not liking subjectively bad cosplay of a character you're fond of doesn't mean one has issues. Also, nice projecting.
You haven't been reading anybody else's comments, have you?

Last edited:

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
LMAO @ 2 PAGE COMMENT FILLED DEBATE ABOUT COSPLAY THUMBNAIL

D

Deleted member

lol @ the people complaining about the cosplay pictures. You've probably been made fun of in the past for spending all your time on a video game forum, so to boost your damaged egos, you've convinced yourself that you're somehow better than those "lame nerds" who like to dress up as their favorite characters.

Here's a thought - why don't you just comment on the content of the video instead of whining about having to look at a cosplay picture. What a bunch of babies.

Last edited by a moderator:

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
At least attempt to strike down all of my points in your rebuttal instead of cherry picking the ones that'll make you sound good.

It's one thing to find it unappealing, it's another to complain about it being inappropriate, which is the issue most people seem to have even with the Rosalina cosplay above.
That has no relation to my argument. Take it up with them, not me.
Which is stupid given the ZSS cosplays that have been posted, and stupid given the clear love for the BLATANTLY provocative Rosalina cosplay I posted in the thread. Some of the same people saying they love the cosplay I posted, are complaining about the Rosalina cosplay SmashCapps posted, even though his is A) much more tasteful, B) more in-character, and C) more impressive given it's a full outfit.
What ZSS cosplay? I don't recall seeing any that were provocative.
Liking someone's joke post featuring a skimpy rosa isn't a criminal offense nor tasteless.

Some of these same people have also complained about the Shulk one, which also displays clear sexism and double standards. So it's OK for us to use provocative ZSS cosplay in the thumbnails, it's OK to post provocative Rosalina cosplay in the comments, but a shirtless Shulk (which isn't even inherently provocative - the guy wasn't flexing or anything) isn't OK?
I don't recall hetero males enjoying other dude's naked tops as something to be alright with. Still not sure where you're getting this alleged provocative zss cosplay, but again the rosa was a joke.

And I don't know where you are getting this idea that he was "naked" from:

D-do you not understand the meaning of "half naked" or "shirtless?" That's all I ever referred to the Shulk as being.
And once again, it IS cosplay, because Shulk actually has a canon shirtless look.
Cosplay doesn't follow the rules of canonical establishment. Again, without him holding the Monado, he'd just be a blond shirtless male, therefor anything can be considered cosplay because one says it follows some form of canon.

No, you're projecting

There is literally no difference here. They are just mascot costumes, they are not supposed to be sexually appealing or appeal to a fetish. The only discernible difference is that one is fan-made and the other is officially licensed. You're insulting the cosplayers by assuming they are sexual deviants.
I'm not projecting because I'm not assuming the cosplayers are appealing to fetish. You're putting that idea onto my messages, so you're indeed the one projecting. Me referring to the falco or shulk cosplay in the vein of furries or playgirl is hyperbole in relation to the source material.

You haven't been reading anybody else's comments, have you?
I should be asking you the same question.

lol @ the people complaining about the cosplay pictures. You've probably been made fun of in the past for spending all your time on a video game forum, so to boost your damaged egos, you've convinced yourself that you're somehow better than those "lame nerds" who like to dress up as their favorite characters.

Here's a thought - why don't you just comment on the content of the video instead of whining about having to look at a cosplay picture. What a bunch of babies.
"Nobody can argue over the internet without it boiling down to them being a bunch of babies over something I find minuscule, so I'll just call them out."

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

"Nobody can argue over the internet without it boiling down to them being a bunch of babies over something I find minuscule, so I'll just call them out."
There is no "argument" to be had. All you want to do is complain about having to look at a person dressed up in a costume. Why? Do you do the same thing when people dress up on Halloween?

The reason people like you are so grossed out by cosplay is because it makes you feel better about your own hobbies and interests. "Yeah, I know I spend all my time practicing my skillz at a video game featuring Nintendo characters, but at least I'm not like those cosplay nerds! How lame can you get?"

How sad, but honestly I don't care enough about your personal issues to continue on with this discussion. Have fun whining! I hope they post a shirtless cosplay Marth next, just for you!

Last edited by a moderator:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
At least attempt to strike down all of my points in your rebuttal instead of cherry picking the ones that'll make you sound good.
I rebutted all of the points worth touching on and grouped some of them together. This isn't a game where the rule is to get the last word in. Especially when some of your points really speak for themselves with how nonsensical they are. The one above counts as that, but I will respond to this one just so you can grasp the idea.

What ZSS cosplay? I don't recall seeing any that were provocative.
Liking someone's joke post featuring a skimpy rosa isn't a criminal offense nor tasteless.
ZSS's outfits in Smash are provocative so cosplaying her is provocative by default (they aren't even realistically modelled, they highlight her assets to an unrealistic degree, though that issue does not so much arise with the cosplays since the outfits are worn by real people), though it's more the posing if you go back and look at them that portrays them as provocative.

I don't recall hetero males enjoying other dude's naked tops as something to be alright with. Still not sure where you're getting this alleged provocative zss cosplay, but again the rosa was a joke.
You don't have to enjoy something to be alright with it or just let it exist. The world does not bend to your whim and censor every little thing you don't approve of. Again, have you ever been to a public beach or swimming pool? Literally every guy there will be topless, it's not some taboo or something.

Also lol at "I don't recall hetero males enjoying other dude's naked tops". If you are a male, straight or not, you will see countless topless guys over the course of your life. Public beaches, swimming pools, gyms, changing rooms in school at PE, etc. If you are seriously saying "EW DON'T SHOW ME ANY TOPLESS GUYS I'M TOO STRAIGHT FOR THAT", then you have some serious social issues and you should get them fixed. You are going to see your peers topless, it's inevitable. Learn to at least tolerate if you can't just be indifferent. This is coming from an (albeit demi) heterosexual guy.

Also, you forget that there are heterosexual females and homosexual males on this site. Not that I think the Shulk cosplay was posted for the purpose of sexual appeal (I thought it was a joke, much like my posting of a provocative Rosalina - which you seem perfectly fine with, by the way), but how come it isn't OK to have something for those demographics once in a while? Do you seriously suggest the competitive Smash community should only be sensitive to heterosexual males and nobody else?

D-do you not understand the meaning of "half naked" or "shirtless?" That's all I ever referred to the Shulk as being.
I can read, and you were also referring to the photo as a "dude nude". C-can you read your own confusing, ridiculous, and clashing statements?

Cosplay doesn't follow the rules of canonical establishment. Again, without him holding the Monado, he'd just be a blond shirtless male, therefor anything can be considered cosplay because one says it follows some form of canon.
It doesn't, but the Shulk one is following canonical establishment, which gives you extra reason to believe it is a cosplay. His hair is styled just like Shulk's too, and he is wearing similar briefs, it's not just the Monado. He also happens to have the same eye colour.

I'm not projecting because I'm not assume the cosplayers are appealing to fetish. You're putting that idea onto my messages, so you're indeed the one projecting. Me referring to the falco or shulk cosplay in the vein of furries or playgirl is hyperbole in relation to the source material.
"Capps doesn't need to use an image to directly represent the article, but a better, more generalized one is more appealing (in the right ways) than waifu / furry / playgirl cosplay."

Literally your second sentence in this thread. You brought this up. I never mentioned any cosplay other than Rosalina until you showed up. I also didn't project anything, your opening statement was the projection.

Also yeah, I posted the Rosalina one as a joke, but the responses to it show clear sexual attraction to it and people seem to find it OK, yet the one SmashCapps posted isn't OK.

People say it's because his is provocative, but I think you guys really just want nothing BUT provocative ones of female characters. Again, it is quite clear that many people here, including yourself, have sexist double standards. Either keep them to yourself, or change them, because using them as basis to get a forum writer to change his methods is bloody atrocious form.

Last edited:

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
This article seems to be more about falln than Rosalina anyway. Why not have the thumbnail be something related to him? Like his signature image or something.

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
I think some people take the cosplay debate WWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY too far.

Honestly when it comes to cosplay on this site, I wouldn't mind if it happens occasionally, but I think it happens too often and it's really milking it out at this point. Granted, I prefer something like a screenshot or some logo about what's the topic about than a cosplay picture, but I wouldn't mind if it wasn't so often it occurs. Personally, a giant debate in already the 1st 2 pages about cosplay says we need to stop with the cosplay now.

There, I only needed 1 post to express this. You guys can continue the cosplay debate if you want, but it's not worth your time at this point.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
Last one then I'm done, lol. GGs.

I rebutted all of the points worth touching on and grouped some of them together. This isn't a game where the rule is to get the last word in. Especially when some of your points really speak for themselves with how nonsensical they are. The one above counts as that, but I will respond to this one just so you can grasp the idea.
kk

ZSS's outfits in Smash are provocative so cosplaying her is provocative by default
****ing lol. Have you been to a beach before? Women wear shorts and bra tops all the time.
though it's more the posing if you go back and look at them that portrays them as provocative.
Out of the last 9 pages of articles, this was the only samus cosplay there was. This was provocative? Cosplays didn't start til page 5.

-shulk stuff-
lol don't see why you're still debating this with me. I was providing justification for why the masses disliked the image; never implied I had a problem with the guy myself. I simply said his cosplay was average and had nothing in relation with the shulk recovery glitch, so why the **** was it the thumbnail. We then proceeded to argue semantics over what justifies as cosplay.
Both you and Smas over there read way too hard into what's not there. Again, my issue isn't with the cosplayers, it's with the front page featuring them for no reason besides being smash related.

I can read, and you were also referring to the photo as a "dude nude". C-can you read your own confusing, ridiculous, and clashing statements?
Apparently you weren't reading well enough. I said "dude nudes" not "dude nude." Those are two different things. As stated, I only ever referred to the guy as being shirtless or half naked. "Dude nudes" referred to the picture in itself.
P-please try a little harder next time.

It doesn't, but the Shulk one is following canonical establishment, which gives you extra reason to believe it is a cosplay. His hair is styled just like Shulk's too, and he is wearing similar briefs, it's not just the Monado. He also happens to have the same eye colour.
Blond hair and blue eyes you say? I can think of several canons this follows without that monado.

You also seem to overlook the cosplayer wasn't wearing a necklace nor watch, so literally without him holding the prop, he'd just be Hitler's dream male.

"Capps doesn't need to use an image to directly represent the article, but a better, more generalized one is more appealing (in the right ways) than waifu / furry / playgirl cosplay."

Literally your second sentence in this thread. You brought this up. I never mentioned any cosplay other than Rosalina until you showed up. I also didn't project anything, your opening statement was the projection.
That's not projection, again. If you understood wordplay, you'd know that I'm referring to Capps posting the current assortment of cosplays we've received as something in the same vein as furry or adult magazine covers catered to females. Unless I outright exclaimed that the falco costume was a furfaggot or that I see them as pandering toward a fetish, I'm not projecting, lol. You're the only one assuming anything.

Also yeah, I posted the Rosalina one as a joke, but the responses to it show clear sexual attraction to it and people seem to find it OK, yet the one SmashCapps posted isn't OK.

People say it's because his is provocative, but I think you guys really just want nothing BUT provocative ones of female characters. Again, it is quite clear that many people here, including yourself, have sexist double standards. Either keep them to yourself, or change them, because using them as basis to get a forum writer to change his methods is bloody atrocious form.
There were 2 direct replies to your rosa pic. The rest were likes. People replied to and liked a joke post, holy **** this is such sexual bias, it's almost as if you expected nobody to give you attention. Every other post about Capps' pic was telling him to stop already because they were done with them. None of the posts had anything to do with not "liking" the cosplay itself.

Also: Nice. Projecting. : ^ )

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I think some people take the cosplay debate WWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY too far.

Honestly when it comes to cosplay on this site, I wouldn't mind if it happens occasionally, but I think it happens too often and it's really milking it out at this point. Granted, I prefer something like a screenshot or some logo about what's the topic about than a cosplay picture, but I wouldn't mind if it wasn't so often it occurs. Personally, a giant debate in already the 1st 2 pages about cosplay says we need to stop with the cosplay now.

There, I only needed 1 post to express this. You guys can continue the cosplay debate if you want, but it's not worth your time at this point.
The debate is less about cosplay at this point, and more about the atrocious and sexist double standards on display here, at least, that's why I'm in it.

I'd understand if the cosplay pictures were genuinely problematic, but honestly, it's a nice way of showing that the competitive community still has a sense of fun and appreciation for the wider Nintendo fandom, and the ones used have been fairly tasteful so far (the ZSS ones were a bit provocative but not to a point where they felt inappropriate).

Besides, people haven't really suggested any better ideas for thumbnails, so the writing staff can't take much from that. Despite me being OK with the cosplay, I've already suggested that if need be, just use cool/funny fanart or in-game screenshots or something pertaining to the characters in question (in the case of this article, Pikachu and Rosalina). Something like this, for example, since it's a "Rosalina VS Pikachu" article:

Though really, at the end of the day, this whole thing was a bunch of hypocrites making a mountain out of nothing.

****ing lol. Have you been to a beach before? Women wear shorts and bra tops all the time.
I was more referring to the Zero Suit. Which is modelled as if it were second skin in-game.

Out of the last 9 pages of articles, this was the only samus cosplay there was. This was provocative? Cosplays didn't start til page 5
Slightly, as she has a longing gaze I guess, but there are more in other articles.

lol don't see why you're still debating this with me. I was providing justification for why the masses disliked the image; never implied I had a problem with the guy myself. I simply said his cosplay was average and had nothing in relation with the shulk recovery glitch, so why the **** was it the thumbnail. We then proceeded to argue semantics over what justifies as cosplay.
Both you and Smas over there read way too hard into what's not there. Again, my issue isn't with the cosplayers, it's with the front page featuring them for no reason besides being smash related.
And I was telling you why that "justification" was drivel. Don't think that's reading too hard into anything.

And as far as I'm concerned, them being Smash related and of the characters discussed in the articles is enough reason to feature them.

Apparently you weren't reading well enough. I said "dude nudes" not "dude nude." Those are two different things. As stated, I only ever referred to the guy as being shirtless or half naked. "Dude nudes" referred to the picture in itself.
P-please try a little harder next time.
And apparently you didn't read hard enough, as my line you quoted literally says:

So please, at this point, you are just trolling and trying to throw out insults, like a typical tryhard. You're not even making any points at this stage, just insults.

Blond hair and blue eyes you say? I can think of several canons this follows without that monado.
You also seem to overlook the cosplayer wasn't wearing a necklace nor watch, so literally without him holding the prop, he'd just be Hitler's dream male.
Your point? No matter what way you swing it, the cosplayer looks like Shulk, and the cosplay is intended to be Shulk. Making connotations to Hitler isn't going to change that.

That's not projection, again. If you understood wordplay, you'd know that I'm referring to Capps posting the current assortment of cosplays we've received as something in the same vein as furry or adult magazine covers catered to females. Unless I outright exclaimed that the falco costume was a furfaggot or that I see them as pandering toward a fetish, I'm not projecting, lol. You're the only one assuming anything.
Stop damage controlling, you literally said, word for word, "is more appealing (in the right ways) than waifu / furry / playgirl cosplay". Where is the word play? How is Capps posting stuff in the same vain as furry (furry magazines exist?)/adult magazines? And furthermore, what kind of adult magazines are you reading that have fully dressed cosmic goddesses and transgender ninjas on the front page? You're getting ripped off if those are the adult magazines you're buying, son. :V

There were 2 direct replies to your rosa pic. The rest were likes. People replied to and liked a joke post, holy **** this is such sexual bias, it's almost as if you expected nobody to give you attention. Every other post about Capps' pic was telling him to stop already because they were done with them. None of the posts had anything to do with not "liking" the cosplay itself.
And that's my exact problem - people are done with non-provocative cosplay. But if SmashCapps posted the picture I did, it would have been all OK. That's obvious sexual bias, yes, you're right there. ;)

Also: Nice. Projecting. : ^ )

Last edited:
Top Bottom