• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Match Mindset: Rosalina vs Pikachu By Falln

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Ever wonder what goes through the mind of a strong player during a match? SoCal ranked player Falln has been making excellent videos to break down matches and now has something else very special. In this Match Mindset video Falln shows what is going through his mind during a real match as Rosalina against a Pikachu. Give the video a watch and delve into the mind of a tournament threat!

SmashCapps wants to give a shoutout to IchigoKitty for the awesome cosplay featured in this article! To keep up with all of his writing endeavors be sure to follow @SmashCapps on Twitter.

yackamajez

Smash Rookie
NNID
yackamajez
Wow it's cool to see what goes on in the mind of a competitive player.

Smash Ace
"Wretched vermin, plague infested rat, vile rodent, your legacy is roadkill." Now we all know how competitive players feel about Pikachu.

Also cosplays. **** cosplays.

Attachments

Last edited:

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
can we stop using cosplays

sWiTcHeRoO [疾~斬]

The Visionary
NNID
Yuchkins
3DS FC
0130-2970-6312
I was expecting something actually insightful but that was just Alpharad text without the meme mentality. Pass.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It's sad knowing that at Rosalina's sub-forum, there aren't "any" discussions involving Rosalina vs. Pikachu. Apparently, that match-up just doesn't get seen enough for users to talk about it.

For those who don't know, a Rosalina vs. Pikachu match-up thread was made a few weeks ago.

http://smashboards.com/threads/413573/

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Falln's older videos had him stop time at critical moments of the match to explain what was going on and what was about to happen in a sort of play-by-play sense.
This one is definitely more of what actually goes in the mind of Falln in this specific battle

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I don't have much problem with Pikachu as a Rosalina main (except online with lag), but I will give it a watch later.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
can we stop using cosplays
He probably won't.
Wow it's cool to see what goes on in the mind of a competitive player.
Everyone is different. My mind is more critical and less cheeky. I'm sure actual pros are more like me than like him *am fire shoots*

Edit: do not take this as me saying I'm better than him, just that I have a superior competitive mentality if these indeed are his inner thoughts in the moment.

Last edited:

Virtue

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TripleTriad
3DS FC
3609-1766-6115
Should have used this instead:
image.jpg

falln

Smash Ace
Everyone is different. My mind is more critical and less cheeky. I'm sure actual pros are more like me than like him *am fire shoots*

Edit: do not take this as me saying I'm better than him, just that I have a superior competitive mentality if these indeed are his inner thoughts in the moment.
Personally I like to keep my mind clearer and only focus on basic objectives (regain stage control, watch for 2nd jumps, etc) so I don't over-analyze a situation and end up missing out on a tight reaction or precise movement. Granted, stuff like the "your legacy is roadkill" is meant mostly to keep the video a bit more entertaining when it's at a bit of a stalemate. The stuff like welps or OMG however are deliberate; I learned this a few years ago from Tyrant when he would let out a reaction to any slight mistake and then continue playing at-capacity during a time where I would tilt myself if I miss any input.

Also thank you for posting my video SmashCapps :)

AcePikachu

Smash Cadet
NNID
UltimaPikachu
3DS FC
4270-1808-1129
This can indirectly bits and pieces of the MU for both characters! I love it! More please!

_gold_

Smash Master
I don't always click on the articles on the news feed.
But when I do, it's for the cosplays.

Quarium

Smash Journeyman
The stuff like welps or OMG however are deliberate; I learned this a few years ago from Tyrant when he would let out a reaction to any slight mistake and then continue playing at-capacity during a time where I would tilt myself if I miss any input.
This is something I personally do on tourneys as well, believe it or not it helps lighten up the mood a bit and helps me regain control after a dumb action, thus keeping my playing in check. I also endure recognizing when your opponent does great plays and trying to take things a bit more lightly to anyone who attends serious competitions, it is easy to let frustration affect you in big or small ways.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
So the cosplays only serve as clickbait, yes? I can't take whatever insightful character knowledge the front page is trying to give when it's plastered with these things.

Daybreak502

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EricAJ
Yoooo this guy sent me to losers at EVO in my pool I didnt know he was ranked or well known

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
So many thirsty smashers in this site. It's kind of embarrassing. :|

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
So the cosplays only serve as clickbait, yes? I can't take whatever insightful character knowledge the front page is trying to give when it's plastered with these things.
Originally I did it for one article simply because I was having a hard time finding a good picture and thought "huh, this could be cool" then a lot of folks said they liked it when I asked so I kept going. It seems the enjoyment has gone down a bit though, so I spose it might be time to kill it and bring it back another day if things change.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Originally I did it for one article simply because I was having a hard time finding a good picture and thought "huh, this could be cool" then a lot of folks said they liked it when I asked so I kept going. It seems the enjoyment has gone down a bit though, so I spose it might be time to kill it and bring it back another day if things change.
It's just people being stupid.

This cosplay isn't even remotely provactive or anything unlike maybe the Shulk one, so people have no place complaining.

Everyone seems fine with it when it's ZSS too, even if the cosplay is meh.

sWiTcHeRoO [疾~斬]

The Visionary
NNID
Yuchkins
3DS FC
0130-2970-6312
It's just people being stupid.

This cosplay isn't even remotely provactive or anything unlike maybe the Shulk one, so people have no place complaining.

Everyone seems fine with it when it's ZSS too, even if the cosplay is meh.
Or y'know, maybe we don't like cosplays or the pictures and something better like a descriptive image/banner/etc of what the article contains would be more suitable than random cosplay, especially awkward ones like the god-awful Shulk one.

We don't have to like it, and unless we voice our dislike towards it nothing will be done about it. Same thing with liking things, they're both fine in their own way, no need to be calling people stupid just because you disagree with what they like.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Or y'know, maybe we don't like cosplays or the pictures and something better like a descriptive image/banner/etc of what the article contains would be more suitable than random cosplay, especially awkward ones like the god-awful Shulk one.

We don't have to like it, and unless we voice our dislike towards it nothing will be done about it. Same thing with liking things, they're both fine in their own way, no need to be calling people stupid just because you disagree with what they like.
I say it's stupid because of the reasoning they give, not because of the fact they disagree with it.

For example:

something better like a descriptive image/banner/etc of what the article contains would be more suitable than random cosplay
You mean like the title and 3 line preview give, as is their purpose? Not to mention there is a direct link to Falln's channel in the description. And the tag saying "Smash Wii U/3DS". And the "VIDEO" tag.

Granted maybe in this particular case, a thumbnail involving Rosalina and Pikachu would have made more sense, but I'm pretty sure the video is more from a Rosalina POV anyway, and I don't think there is much in the way of fanart involving these two that you could use either. The only one that springs to mind is this one inappropriate comic that circulated from when Rosalina was announced for Smash, and well, we can't be using something like that, now can we?

The thumbnail is just meant to catch attention, thumbnails aren't supposed to be informative, just have some eye-catching image that relates to the subject matter. Just be glad we haven't got Game Theory tier of clickbait thumbnails:

Also I don't see what was wrong with the Shulk one. As far as I'm concerned, ya'll went crazy for the swimshorts Shulk costume when it was announced, and ya'll use it because ya'll are such big memelords. So why is it so offensive when a cosplay of him appears on your dash? I mean it was actually a good one too, that Monado looked great.

Last edited:

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
-snip
-image snip-
The first thing you see is the tumbnail, at which point it becomes a make or break situation. If you frequent this forum, the first thing you don't want to see is irl pics of people in cringe-worthy cosplay. Capps doesn't need to use an image to directly represent the article, but a better, more generalized one is more appealing (in the right ways) than waifu / furry / playgirl cosplay. At this point the cosplay thumbnails aren't being seen as "This article is about X character / their tech / combo video, check it out" but "Let's substitute a proper thumbnail for cosplay because they're in character." The only one that I don't hold to this standard is the combo videos, because unless there's a proper thumbnail already provided for it in the video, a cosplay makes more sense as a representation of the media (i.e. the Sheik CV article).
Also I don't see what was wrong with the Shulk one. As far as I'm concerned, ya'll went crazy for the swimshorts Shulk costume when it was announced, and ya'll use it because ya'll are such big memelords. So why is it so offensive when a cosplay of him appears on your dash? I mean it was actually a good one too, that Monado looked great.
That cosplay was literally white blond shirtless male holding a Monado. The cosplay was average, the monado was alright.
And it isn't even about being offensive, it's completely jarring and nigh unrelated to the post to begin with. The subject matter being shulk didn't warrant dude nudes. Nothing screams "The solution to a recovery issue with shulk has been identified and explained properly" more than "shirtless guy with a monado."

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I just dislike cosplay period.
****s weird.

Last edited:

sWiTcHeRoO [疾~斬]

The Visionary
NNID
Yuchkins
3DS FC
0130-2970-6312
Who are these "y'all" you speak of? I've mained Shulk since the game came out and even before it did come out, I've loathed the swimsuit alt because it's incredibly stupid. I've never used it once, not even ironically, nor am I a memelord like most other dumb Shulk players. Don't lump people together stupidly like that, you just look ignorant.

Last edited:
Top Bottom