• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mass Madness 15: The worst TO ever! PC Approved - April 18 and 19 - Framingham, MA

Status
Not open for further replies.

GameUnderground

Smash Journeyman
Ok here's the deal...

1. Thank you everyone for coming! The Tournament this past weekend was the biggest tournament we have ever had for anything. Honestly we are in a terrible financial situation because of the economy fallout and Smash may have seriously kept Game Universe open... for real.(it's embarrassing to say that but I felt it should be said) The Convention should help us a lot too in the summer. (on that note Game Universe Convention will have a much much much more organized setup for all of our tournaments we have a great plan in place)

2. Thank you to everyone that brought set-ups. You guys are all awesome and make these Tournaments possible.

3. I let people in the community run all of the different tournaments we do. I think Matt and everyone that helps did a great job. I could run all of the Tournaments at GU myself but I want people that play the games and know all the rules running them perfect. I'm sorry they aren't always smooth or organized but Matt, Roman and other guys that help out are

VOLUNTEERING AND RUNNING EVERYTHING FOR FREE SO THERE CAN BE SMASH TOURNAMENTS AT ALL.

4. There should have been NO BIRTHDAY PARTY THAT DAY. Someone new accidentally scheduled it during MM. That should never have happened and it took up too much of my employee's time when we should have been helping set up and taking care of the Smash Players. I appreciate everyone being cool to make sure those kids had a great time. Their parents were very happy and it could have been one more thing that made the day harder if they weren't. Also Blinky had an emergency and couldn't work that day so that hurt too.

5. Sorry there isn't much room here... there's really nothing we can do about it... I will try to get it more organized next time... Like I said I had someone call out.

6. We will stay open til 11pm on Sunday for the next MM. Melee guys aren't gonna get screwed by having less time to play.

7. Please bring Brawl setups on Sat. I don't want to end up with two... however if everyone that hates brawl just comes Sunday then there will be less people so we will need less setups... I wish everyone would just be happy and play both... one seriously and one for fun. The Turnout for Brawl was twice as much as Melee so that's why it gets to be on Saturday... I originally said we should have Melee Saturday but I agree I think there are just more vocal Melee players. HEY IT'S A TWO DAY SMASH EVENT YAY!

To answer some of the questions people are asking....

1. Make sure there is enough space around the tables, especially with chairs around. that slowed things down the most, especially by the entrance.

A: What can we do really... we only have so much room. I think we will move the front table around differently next time.

2. In the back section, having more tables, and placing them against the walls rather than in the center would actually let you fit more TVs. That might not be possible though, because of centralized outlets (?)

A: I actually thought this worked ok but if you have a better idea when you get there help us out with the placement next time. :)

3. Spend less time telling people that you're gonna DQ them, and more time actually carrying out your threat--warning someone like 5+ times makes the TOs look bad, and as if they are playing favorites. Even if it's an "important" person, that means they should know how this works, and shouldn't be goofing off/breaking the rules.

A: I agree pay attention for your matches... however the mic stopped working halfway through and the other one broke... Also I would prefer to not have anyone DQ'd but if you are being threatened pay attention and fn do what you are supposed to!

4. Get volunteers ahead of time to help set up, make sure people aren't playing friendlies, and making sure match results are reported. Having other people doing this means it isn't just the people behind the computer trying to make it all happen themselves.

A: Pretty much those are the volunteers... This is a very community driven Tournament and therefore there is kind of an unofficial "Team" that I trust to help out. I don't always know every single person's name but... those regular guys that do help thank you so very much. MM is extremely popular and I couldn't handle it without you.

5. Overall, I thought this went much better than the last one I attended, especially given the number of people attending. Props to the organizers, even if it could have been better.

A: I actually agree this one was run much better.

Quote of the month "remember guys, even if they aren't doing a perfect (or even good) job, at least they have the balls to go and do it. Until you step it up and either start helping/running your own tourneys, your complaints are kinda pointless, even if based off of experiences from other tourneys."

For real... I appreciate everyone that helps out. I've learned from running all these different tournaments for different games, everyone is always gonna have something to complain about. Also keep in mind a few things...

In my opinion the whole situation for running a tournament is completely broken and impossible to handle correctly. Here's how it works... If I paid someone to be in charge of it and run everything perfect, we would have to take more out of the pot and that sucks. The convention will be able to run everything better because of a venue fee and stuff but at GU we just do the best we can. We take a small cut from the entrance fees and don't charge anything to get in... most places do both.

I hate seeding. It sucks. People in the community want it so I let it happen. I understand why it happens but it sucks to have to place people anywhere. However, if you are putting a match in there "just because you want to see it happen" don't do it. I'm not in charge of seeding but whatever the TO decides is what happens and is final. I trust their judgment.

Finally... for those who don't see it....

WE HAVE AN AMAZING SMASH BROS COMMUNITY.

Everyone that comes to MM are amazing and helpful and surprisingly polite. We are lucky to have such a great group of people to play games with!

Thank you to everyone for coming.

Thank you to Matt and EVERYONE that helps organize and run MM.

Thank you to the people that bring setups.

Thank you to the Pro Level players that come!

Thank you for helping the dream of having a awesome place for people to play and have fun at Game Universe.

Thank you for allowing us to grow to the point we can barely handle MM and have to put on a Huge Convention.

Much Love to everyone!

Jamie

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
He is grateful for stuff and said how he acknowledges some issues (space chairs birthday party) and how they will be resolved next time.

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
Jamie is indeed the man. One point I wanna make.

7. Please bring Brawl setups on Sat. I don't want to end up with two... however if everyone that hates brawl just comes Sunday then there will be less people so we will need less setups... I wish everyone would just be happy and play both... one seriously and one for fun. The Turnout for Brawl was twice as much as Melee so that's why it gets to be on Saturday... I originally said we should have Melee Saturday but I agree I think there are just more vocal Melee players. HEY IT'S A TWO DAY SMASH EVENT YAY!
SMB the tourney I held in Greenfield that was predominatly Brawl(only 11 people entered Melee and at least 4 of them were there for Brawl and entered because I set up the events to encourage brawlers to try Melee out) had 12 Set ups with only 50 people showing. Most of those were brought by brawl players. Not a SINGLE brawl player gave me any crap about using their TV or Wii for Melee, And everything ran smoothly. Don't judge every brawl player based on what happened at Mass Madness.

I'm not worried about set ups, there should be plenty for Brawl, but all the in fighting is really getting disgusting. Smash is Smash, why is it so hard for everyone to just get along. I really hope this 2 day event leads to more switching off so that the community will stop feeling the need to trash each other. Cause it's just getting stupid people, honestly.

And I just wanted to recheck with Matt, wanna house me between Brawl and Melee days so I can help run things. It sucks that all the crap you get about these tourneys has led to you not getting to enjoy yourself at all until Dazwa KICKS YOU OUT so you can play a few friendlies. It's a community and I'll gladly help out so everyone can enjoy things.

IM me when you get a chance, I wanna discuss a few things with you to try and fix some of the issues we had and the complaints that came up.

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
As the only person that gave me the hugs I asked for, I love you two Dave.

Hopefully I can manage to schedule my next tourney at a time that it won't conflict with a big Melee tourney and I can get all the awesome peeps from RI to hit it up.

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
That's honestly just a venue issue. There are only so many chairs at any given place. I hate standing for a tourney match too, but I wouldn't give up GU for that. Jaime is amazing when it comes to letting us run how we want, and staying open so we can finish up.

He gives the community so much control and such. Shrug. Standing isn't that bad... compared to a venue that would kick us out regardless of where the tourneys are or try and control us to the point of messing up events and such.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
@Jamie:

regarding space around the tables[1], would you be able to only allow people to use one of the TVs by the front of the store? because it was the chairs/people in front of that second big TV that made it hard to walk around the table with setups 11-14.

regarded setup in back [2], I just say this because you had stuff like on the floor in front of those tvs, and I heard people complaining about that-- also, having TVs in the center, AND dotted sporadically around the walls made it hard to get the the ones along the wall (15 and 16, I think they were)

re [3], I agree that DQing people sucks, but the thing is, it's the threat of DQ that makes people behave, and if someone shows that the threat isn't real (by being warned many times and getting away with it), everyone else starts breaking the rules.

regarding volunteers[4], I know that the people running it do a ton, but if they had asked me before hand, I woulda been much happier about setting up stations for them, and the like--for example. Also, with the TOs having volunteers, the brackets would finish much quicker, because there would be people who *can* actively enforce rules rather than trying to do so while being busy making sure things are being run.

Eh, anyways, if I start showing up to more of these, I'll actually help run them and stuff, I guess.

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
I made the poll by saying "OKAY EVERY HERE ARE THE OPTIONS, POST YOUR VOTES AND I COUNT THEM"

haha I don't have the ability to make polls

Banks

Smash Hero
marcus is amazing krimzon

i appreciate game universe running these, all the problems can be resolved easily we just need to set the tables up better, that's all.

Spife

Smash Master
CHAIRS CHAIRS CHAIRS

i had to stand the first match, with an extremely small tv to play on

it SUUUUCKED`
Go to smb, we have 100 chairs. ONE HUNDRED CHAIRS

I stopped reading over night and missed a lot. I'm not going to go read it.

I really think the brawl players should stop complaining, I mean, we all try are hardest you know? But the melee players can NOT be excluded. WE really are at fault here. I mean, I'm not even sure what we were thinking -.-

and RAG, I just hope that he can learn from this and be a better person at the outcome and hopefully he doesn't do this to anyone else and no one else has to suffer at the hands of not getting picked up.

/stupid post. I tried to make it as vague as possible.

I Love MM though, shouties next time, pseudo shoutie to Spruce Tengu, I didn't know that was you, and then it was you, and then I didn't shake your hand and introduce myself. Good **** anyway. Same to gorn save the not introducing myself.

GameUnderground

Smash Journeyman
Just read some back posts.... thought I'd comment.

Orange Soda Man...

First of all nice Avatar I love Ed! All of your issues with our venue make sense I don't blame you for being upset. Sorry you didn't have fun at the one place that actually doesn't mind being overrun completely by Smash Players. (we actually love it) But have you ever even thought of our regular customers that come in and have to fight around you guys just to even look at the PS3 section or how many don't even bother coming in because the can't park? We sacrifice a lot of our image to the "Moms and Dads" of Framingham just to have Smash here. Which brings us to...

The Convention Announcement...

We don't have all the details ready yet but, I also may not see some of these guys from out of state until then. We are about 3 weeks away from even having enough solid to post a thread about this but I wanted to give the Smash Bros Community the early heads up so that you can be ready for the big event.

This will be the most epic gaming event New England has seen in a long time wait til you see what we have in store.

Chair Issue...

We have a good amount of chairs... but it would cost us $100 just to get 4 or 5 more! That's a lot of money right now and we can't afford it. I also did see a lot of the rocking and soft folding ones not being used for the tournaments.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
Marcus is very good. I want to change my GT to Erik bc people with real name GT's who are good are friggin' cool as hell.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
good date change. i approve I might show up depending on melee showing :D

also

during summer

i can probably come to every MM

====))))

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
During summer I can house people for a LOT longer than just a weekend too.

lol tml I have a semi-real name gamer tag.
Does that make me semi-cool as hell?

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
Chair Issue...

We have a good amount of chairs... but it would cost us $100 just to get 4 or 5 more! That's a lot of money right now and we can't afford it. I also did see a lot of the rocking and soft folding ones not being used for the tournaments.
Folding chairs cost that much?
tbh i don't really like the gamer/rocking chairs they were kind of annoying to play in.

but ty for everything, gj and stuff, yur mad cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom