• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Mar 29th 2014] Midstate Massacre 3: Carolina Combo Carnage (Charlotte, NC)

v4extreme

Smash Journeyman
Updated the list of preregistered players in the OP. Not a bad list. A note to the 2 Melee doubles teams registered (MarthMaster69+Avalon, Vabl+Chronoparz)- only one of your respective team mates paid doubles entry, so both of you are short $5. I can accept it at the door the day of, I'd prefer to just have it through paypal, but either way make sure to work that out.

Also I'd really like to draw everyone's attention to this part of the post if you haven't read it- this is how things will be run:
Is That Tournament?
READ THIS PLEASE:

I'd like to add something that may make things run more smoothly. Shoutouts to Mahone for the idea (I don't think he came up with it but he passed it along to me).

The quest to eliminate the question "is that tournament?"

STEP 1:

I bought a bunch of note cards.

STEP 2:

When I call a match, I will write the names of the competitors on one of the cards and hand it to one or both of them at the TO desk. This makes it very clear who your opponent is if they have to be found (last semester it was loud in the room and kind of hard to hear peoples names; I think seeing it spelled out will help).

STEP 3:

The players fold the card in half and place it on top of the TV while they play. Everyone can see that it is a tournament and who's playing if they were curious, so the set doesn't half to be interrupted by questions between matches or otherwise. It also makes it very easy to find a free setup to play on.

STEP 4:

After the match is played, the players write the set count on the card and return it to the TO desk. I won't have any trouble hearing someone's match result over the noise, or if I forget to enter it into tio instead of having to track someone down to ask them if they've played/what the result was I can just look and see if I have the card.

v4extreme

Smash Journeyman
you're running 5 events in 9 hours?!?!
Bring setups lol. We've done it before, this time should be bigger but it can be done. Things will be run very efficiently. Also this is really why it would help a lot if people would pre-register especially for doubles, I'll likely have to be really strict about getting doubles started right at 1:00, the more people pre-reg the smoother it will be.

Oh, and about that, I should point out once again that all of the teams registered for doubles except EZVega + ALFA have only had one team member pre-reg their team (their missing $5 of the entry fee). I know the paypal thing I used for the pre-reg site wasn't the most convenient, I'll try to get something with a $10 option next time.

Last edited:

FlowinWater

Smash Champion
Any one driving there from eastern NC, I live I jacksonville. I can drive and pick people up on the way if they got gas moolah. Would like to attend this.

HOLLA

Rawb

Smash Rookie
Hmmmmmmm should I drive the 3 hours to smash it up with you guys?? :love::love::love:

Frozone

Smash Rookie
Sweet me and my brother will most definately be coming out too this. Its gonna be our first tourney. Should we bring out our Wii, or are you guys good?

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
Hmmmmmmm should I drive the 3 hours to smash it up with you guys?? :love::love::love:
Absolutely. It's worth it.

Sweet me and my brother will most definately be coming out too this. Its gonna be our first tourney. Should we bring out our Wii, or are you guys good?
Bringing setups definitely helps. Better to have too many than not enough.

Could you link your stream? I have some friends who want to see me get bodied if I make it onto the stream.
www.twitch.tv/squirt_594

v4extreme

Smash Journeyman
Deeeeefinitely need setups.

Looking forward to seeing all you guys and being the first tourney for some of you!

SoggyEagle

Smash Journeyman
Edit #1:

Whoops -- replied to the wrong thread.

Just kidding.

Edit #2:

I second PicMan's question but will not have a sad if we cannot have PM Dubbs.

Last edited:

PicMan

Smash Cadet
Being that they already have 5 events to get through in 9 hours, and PM doubles isn't listed on the OP...

Let's us follow logic for a minute and answer this question
Seeing as how brawl/brawl doubles are listed, brawl doubles only having 1 pre registered team, and brawl singles only having 5 pre registered.
Lets follow logic for a minute..

v4extreme

Smash Journeyman
Yeah Lucas Tell'em. If there's time/interest I'll run pretty much anything. (Spoilers: we will have neither of those for P:M doubles).

Anyway, I've updated the OP with this VERY CRUCIAL INFO for locating the venue:
VERY CRUCIAL MAP/PICTURES:

^Very easy to get to the venue/parking from the main entrance.

^The main entrance, noted by hella columns and a big concrete sign

^The venue, Cone Center, noted by that really funky corner. If you were to stand where this picture was taken and turn 90 degrees to the left you'd be looking at Cone Decks 1 & 2.

Also, I'd like to once again draw everyone's attention to this part of the OP:
Is That Tournament?
READ THIS PLEASE:

I'd like to add something that may make things run more smoothly. Shoutouts to Mahone for the idea (I don't think he came up with it but he passed it along to me).

The quest to eliminate the question "is that tournament?"

STEP 1:

I bought a bunch of note cards.

STEP 2:

When I call a match, I will write the names of the competitors on one of the cards and hand it to one or both of them at the TO desk. This makes it very clear who your opponent is if they have to be found (last semester it was loud in the room and kind of hard to hear peoples names; I think seeing it spelled out will help).

STEP 3:

The players fold the card in half and place it on top of the TV while they play. Everyone can see that it is a tournament and who's playing if they were curious, so the set doesn't half to be interrupted by questions between matches or otherwise. It also makes it very easy to find a free setup to play on.

STEP 4:

After the match is played, the players write the set count on the card and return it to the TO desk. I won't have any trouble hearing someone's match result over the noise, or if I forget to enter it into tio instead of having to track someone down to ask them if they've played/what the result was I can just look and see if I have the card.

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
Seeing as how brawl/brawl doubles are listed, brawl doubles only having 1 pre registered team, and brawl singles only having 5 pre registered.
Lets follow logic for a minute..
the logic that people don't pre-reg if they don't have too?

I don't see your point

EDIT: OH I get it, you're trying to make me look dumb for pointing out that the OP doesn't mention PM doubles, how quaint

HEY GUYS ANY CHANCE OF RUNNING UMVC3? NO ONE PREREG'D FOR BRAWL SO YOU KNOW

Last edited:

v4extreme

Smash Journeyman
I'd really like to thank everyone for coming and for bearing with me while trying to run an event of a size that we were blatantly unprepared for. The event running late/having to relocate was obviously not ideal, but the inexcusable issue was that some players were entered into the wrong game or not entered at all after paying entry. By the time the issue was realized brackets were already underway, and the only way to fix the problem would have been a reconstruction of the brackets which at that point would have been suicidal to the event finishing on time (which still only barely happened for melee and did not happen for Project M). I once again apologize to these people; unfortunately, that's all I can do. This will not happen in the future.

I have a lot more to say about this, but it will likely be a few days (or more) until I do a full results post/write up. In the mean time I need some sleep and I have a lot of things due for school over the next few days.

SalED

Smash Rookie
I need anyone who was at the later part of this event to help me.

I believe that I left a dell laptop charger in the Student Union. If anyone has it or knows of it's location, drop me a line on smashboards.

Thanks a million.

EDIT: Nevermind, it was buried deep in my backpack.

Last edited:

Glish

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Wav_Glish
3DS FC
1418-7649-4416
Thanks for the great first tournament! I had an awesome time, and can't wait to go to more Smash tournaments in the future!!!

Top Bottom