• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Mar 29th 2014] Midstate Massacre 3: Carolina Combo Carnage (Charlotte, NC)

v4extreme

Smash Journeyman

(Shouts out to Locke for the graphic)

Tournament organized by v4extreme and UNCC's FGC student organization
Facebook event page
To contact me: 828.577.5503 - Facebook - or just message me here on smashboards

Location/Parking
UNCC Cone Center room 210
9201 University City Blvd,
Charlotte, NC 28223-0001
UNCC on google maps
Campus map
Parking map

If you're using a GPS with google maps, typing in the actual deck you'd like to park in (i.e. Cone Deck 1) as your destination will make navigating campus easier. If you are unable to do that I encourage you to look at the maps above ahead of time.
On campus parking is free on weekends (6:00 PM Friday - 8:00 AM Monday). On the map you can see Cone decks 1 & 2 adjacent to Cone Center. This is the easiest place to park.

VERY CRUCIAL MAP/PICTURES:

^Very easy to get to the venue/parking from the main entrance.

^The main entrance, noted by hella columns and a big concrete sign

^The venue, Cone Center, noted by that really funky corner. If you were to stand where this picture was taken and turn 90 degrees to the left you'd be looking at Cone Decks 1 & 2.

Pre-Registration
Pre-Registration Page
Trying to make sure things run smoothly, this will help me create as much of the bracket as possible and get a feel for the number of entrants.

Fees/Payouts
No venue fee
$5 Brawl/Melee/Project M singles
$10 per doubles team (Brawl/Melee)
Payouts will be 60/25/15 split of the pot, subject to change pending attendance.

Rules
The Apex rule set will be used for Melee, Brawl, and Project M

Dining
On Campus: (Campus map)
Student Union:
Wendy's (10:30 AM - 12:30 AM)
Mama Leone's Pizza (4:00 PM - 10:00 PM)
Outtakes (snacks, sandwiches, etc.) (10:30 AM - 12:30 AM)
Prospector:
Chick Fil A (10:30 AM - 3:30 PM)
Off Campus
Cookout
Chipotle

IHOP

Schedule
This is a general idea of how I expect things to run. If you won't be able to make it by the time your game is supposed to start, contact me via one of the methods above and I'll let you know if we have time to wait. The only thing that I expect may have a major time change is PM, if there is more interest than expected.

12:00 Registration for all games opens
1:00 Doubles registration closes, tournaments start
3:00 Brawl and Melee singles registration closes, tournaments start
6:00 Project M registration closes, tournament starts

Is That Tournament?
READ THIS PLEASE:

I'd like to add something that may make things run more smoothly. Shoutouts to Mahone for the idea (I don't think he came up with it but he passed it along to me).

The quest to eliminate the question "is that tournament?"

STEP 1:

I bought a bunch of note cards.

STEP 2:

When I call a match, I will write the names of the competitors on one of the cards and hand it to one or both of them at the TO desk. This makes it very clear who your opponent is if they have to be found (last semester it was loud in the room and kind of hard to hear peoples names; I think seeing it spelled out will help).

STEP 3:

The players fold the card in half and place it on top of the TV while they play. Everyone can see that it is a tournament and who's playing if they were curious, so the set doesn't half to be interrupted by questions between matches or otherwise. It also makes it very easy to find a free setup to play on.

STEP 4:

After the match is played, the players write the set count on the card and return it to the TO desk. I won't have any trouble hearing someone's match result over the noise, or if I forget to enter it into tio instead of having to track someone down to ask them if they've played/what the result was I can just look and see if I have the card.

Setups/Attendance
We need setups! If you plan to bring something, please let me know, it helps with planning. Also make sure to RSVP to the event!

Pre-registered participants:

Melee Singles
$qu!r+
MarthMaster69
Avalon
Sway
Dankey Kang
Chronoparz
Vabl
EZVega
Felipe
JABU
GameBroAdvanced
Raimundo129
Brett
J$
TehSqueeMistro
Jwillii

Brawl Singles
Trannce
Jag
Vabl
GameBroAdvanced
Raimundo129

Melee Doubles
MarthMaster69 + Avalon
Vabl + Chronoparz
GameBroAdvanced + Raimundo129
EZVega + ALFA

Brawl Doubles
GameBroAdvanced + Raimundo

P:M
Avalon
Sway
Dankey Kang
TheNakedBear
Vabl
EZVega
Truth
GameBroAdvanced
Raimundo129
SpoiledRamen
TehSqueeMistro

Last edited:

Эикельманн [РУС]

Banned via Administration
interested in coming up to this from orlando. could anyone in charlotte give me rides/housing for this? ideally the day before and after the tournament to account for how long bus transit takes. i can provide solid melee practice and can reimburse anyone that helps for their efforts/gas. lemme know if anyone can help.

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
interested in coming up to this from orlando. could anyone in charlotte give me rides/housing for this? ideally the day before and after the tournament to account for how long bus transit takes. i can provide solid melee practice and can reimburse anyone that helps for their efforts/gas. lemme know if anyone can help.
My dorm room has a couch that people have slept on before. If you're the only one coming up, me and my room mates wouldn't mind if you slept there for a day or two. Plus I have a TV in my room so we could practice.

andzrej

Project Z Curator
I live in Fort Mill, which is like ~20 mins from Charlotte. I wouldn't mind housing a few people.

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
so you don't live in columbia? i'm currently looking for housing/rides for a tournament in SC on the first, but i can only bus out to columbia.
There's actually a few guys from Columbia who are going to this tournament. I can ask them if they can house you.

andzrej

Project Z Curator
so you don't live in columbia? i'm currently looking for housing/rides for a tournament in SC on the first, but i can only bus out to columbia.
I live in Columbia and my parents live close to charlotte, so I can use their house as needed.

v4extreme

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for helping out with housing, I really appreciate that from anyone who can manage. There's hardly any housing in Charlotte itself :(

GCS Gaming Customs

https://gcsgamingcustoms.storenvy.com
People in smash are awesome providing housing and all that good stuff so we can all just be happy smashing :b:

BTW, Ill pbly be there Im pretty close to Uncc see you there Locke and the rest of you. I hope to meet more awesome peeps

Last edited:

v4extreme

Smash Journeyman
Quick addendum to the rules: we will still be using the Apex ruleset, as mentioned in the op. Additionally, I would like to add that no shoes are allowed on the dojo mat.

Glish

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Wav_Glish
3DS FC
1418-7649-4416
Thinking about attending this as my first official Smash tourney. Any tips (not game-play wise, but just tournament wise)?

TheBuddha

Smash Rookie
"Play lots of friendlies. Don't expect to win much. If you start getting frustrated, take a break and hang out with people. Call Caps Locke and the TO a noob at every opportunity."

Jabu 1:3

Praise be to Jabu.

v4extreme

Smash Journeyman
Just over one week away and I'm really excited, I've heard from lots of people who are planning on coming. Very hype for the new players and oos players coming to this. As the date approaches I'd really like to remind and encourage everyone to pre-register. Since one of my goals for this tournament was to keep entry cheap to begin with, I don't have any special incentive for pre-registering, but it will really help things get started faster and run more smoothly the day of :) Also we're really gonna need setups, bring whatever you have. Looking forward to seeing everyone here!

Last edited:
Top Bottom