• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Make Your Move 13 - Most Recent Movesets: The Advertisement Period Begins

Katapultar

Smash Lord
Koala Kong
by MasterWarlord

Heights and bounds deemed too high were reached with this revolutionary set and a long-standing MYMer. Terraforming has been done a lot by MasterWarlord, yes, but this time he takes a page from Doomsday's book and writes more stuff in it, taking a chunk of the stage and letting you do whatever you want with it. You can throw it, use it as a blockade or even pitfall an enemy into it! Better yet, Koala Kong can use his outstanding Dash Attack to surf on his stage chunk to take his ground game offstage, tying in well with his powerful first jump. It even acts as a great tribute to the Crash Bandicoot series, even if said tribute is to something that happens from a game Warlord hates, I think. Having used to like the series, the TNT was a fun tribute too.

The fun doesn't stop there. Koala Kong feels like the next step-up to "professional movesetting", his entire set feeling perfectly self-conscious about what it's supposed to do, the N-air and F-air grabs in particular sticking out. A nice combination between moves that help you set-up and deal with the foe. The set might be on the long side, particularly with the playstyle summary, but there's enough fun things that stand out for people to be convinced of the awesomeness, whether they read the entire thing or not. As the cherry on top, Warlord takes one of his old sets N. Brio and pairs him with Kong for a Team Match analysis, further showing just how much thought he put into the whole set - not only is the 1v1 playstyle great, it works with a fitting character! It's hard to walk away from this set and not consider it a masterpiece, unless you REALLY have to nitpick stuff like the set length and characterization; the former can't be helped and shouldn't be taken into account, yet the latter is where people might get the wrong idea. Yes, Koala Kong is "dumb" and you might not think he deserves such a clever moveset, but he's a worker, from the TNTs to the boulders from his boss fight, and the set goes with it all. I rest my case.

Yoshika
by Junahu

Apparently we aren't allowed to be experimental without being slandered for it anymore, because that's exactly what happened to poor Yoshika. At least give Junahu props for trying to make a set for a character whose only method of attacking is by grabbing, transitioning into a single set of throws rather than have multiple sets of them or one throw for each kind of grab. Redundant? Yoshika has a whole bunch of ways to grab you, will always be trying to grab you, and then eat you, the only time in the set she will eat but in practice she'll be doing it a lot. The set was heavily attacked for having an ultra-simplistic playstyle, which sets these days are apparently not allowed to have (probably one of the easiest characters in the game to use), being unbalanced and not staying true to the "character". The part about not accepting simplicity could be fixed for love's sake, and how can you not love a character who gets their Final Smash in a unique way!? As far as character goes, Yoshika comes from the Touhou universe, which is filled with ultra-powerful lightweight female protagonists, so she's obviously a billion times more powerful than your average zombie. I doubt someone so minor to the Touhou universe like Yoshika would have much character, so Junahu essentially took the character and re-interpreted it. That's the big thing about the set for me; from the presentation, to the approach to the character and how foes will approach her, Junahu pulled it all off perfectly. Sure, he's known for disliking Pummel KOs, but that just adds a sense of fear to the match, as does the great Final Smash (which helps makes her more balanced). This is really the kind of set you need to approach from an artistic point-of-view to appreciate, rather than expecting every move to serve a purpose and flow into some revolutionary playstyle.

Larfleeze
by The Warrior of Many Faces

I wanted to advertise a Kupa set, but I know what I want to say about this guy. I can say with complete confidence that this is WoMF's best set, hands down. The guy puts love into everything he makes, but Larfleeze stands out by not only having a brilliant mechanic that's not only fitting and feasible but is perfectly fitting to his greedy character: he's a 3v1 who gains an ally out of whoever he kills, with the same HP as the damage they had when they died. The whole part about getting free allies is great on its own, but the idea of encouraging Larfleeze players to damage-rack their opponents to get sturdier allies is icing on the cake in terms of how far the set delves into the idea of greed. It's even emphasized on the attack names and letters referring to Larfleeze! He even has special attacks that revolve around greed, be it his Up Special tentacle for grabbing stuff or even his cool Down Special that turns the opponent's traps and summons into yours! Larfleeze doesn't feel too overpowered, almost to the point where you could fight him in a 1v1 fine and dandy, another charm of the set. It's all great stuff, if the only thing preventing it from entering SV-territory being the lack of emphasis on the basic moves and how they detract from the all-powerful villain feel when this guy should be capable of a lot more. See if you like this guy too.

Junahu

Smash Ace
Comments

"Shoop shoop de whoop. Be mindful of the author's intent, and analyse a text from that perspective." #generic Junahu advice [p.234]
Demoman:
Demoman hits the right eclectic mix of running and blowing stuff up. He sounds powerfully entertaining whilst in motion, with a number of momentum carrying techniques that allow him to get from point A to point B whilst symultaneously laying a carpet of explosives. The bombastic (get it? Hurr hurr I'm funny) writing makes for a nicely self aware read too. It occasionally undermines the worth of certain inputs, but hopefully readers will look past that. It's a solid moveset that hits its targets with ease but doesn't dwell on them. I'm sure there's something others can learn from the moveset's brevity and drunk honesty.
[and was that a little dig at Linebeck's alcohol I spy in the throws?]

But sir? Sir? SIR? Can you please not ignore the Final Smash? It's an input that exists. Not including it makes me feel like the moveset was rushed, and that's a bad assumption for a reader to have to make.

As well as the set does with minimal explanation, I'm afraid it loses me when you mention certain weapons by name, but refuse to explain what exactly they are. What's a Chargin Targe? What's an Eyelander? It's kind of neccessary to know what these objects are, since they kind of define the entire hitbox of the attack.

I'm also slightly confused about sticky grenades not sticking to the foe outside of a specific throw. I assume this is something the game does, maybe it helps the balance, I dunno. But not allowing sticky grenades to find purchase on other players (and not giving the opponent a means to rid themselves of stickies) does not sit well with me. I would love the idea of coating a team-mate with stickies so that they become a walking suicide bomb.

And for my final complaint; the swap-weapon to fire with B control scheme is bamboozling once two smash attack get in on the action. These inputs can all be angled, I'm sure we can survive shooting stickies with Side B and aiming our smashes during the charge period. Or alternatively, since firing with B during other inputs is kind of Demoman's thing in this set; give him one special that allows him to switch between all four of his ammo types.

Koala Kong
It has been far far too long since I last commented on a moveset from one of the "big boys". And specifically, it has probably been close to a year since I've commented on something you've made. At the prodding of Kat's glowing endorsement, I decided to read Koala. And honestly, I'm very glad I did. I can pretty much parrot Kat's praise verbatim.

While the interactions you employ always caste your characters as geniuses, you're still astonishingly aware of how to establish and maintain characterisation. Koala Kong is very busy, and very constructive. He mines material from the stage, and uses it pragmatically towards his goals. He's even mindfull to replace lost material with his coal. Koala is very industrious, yet still imposing.
The way you write your movesets, while perhaps a bit too guided for my personal tastes, is extremely dilligent in communicating every attack's worth, and works very well to bring together how moves work in tandem.

There's a good, visceral feel to slapping bits of stage together to create bigger, structured monstrosities. And the moveset has a multitude of layers that do not interfere with one another. Not just "with-chunk" and "without-chunk", but also "onstage" and "offstage" too, with liberal amounts of "what if" devoted to TNT crates too.
The elements are logically connected, but disparate enough to prevent accidental overlap.

Your logic does occasionally conflict with my sensibilities, and the moveset's two-sets-in-one aspect feels like it would be difficult for players to penetrate, but that's your choice, and I won't contest it. It's all very consistant with itself anyway, so there's nothing wrong there.

I do worry about how Koala's landscaping vanishes upon losing a stock, with holes plugging themselves up somehow because Koala was KO'd. It's extremely admirable that you attempt to address the issue of playing any terraformer over a lengthy match, but it would be more logically sound for all his terraforming to be additive instead of material-neutral, and for the new material to crumble after stocks or over time. It does seem like Koala has little need for the holes he makes, preferring to play with the material he mined instead.
Then again, if the terraforming recovers slowly enough, maybe it wouldn't look all that awkward. There's still the issue of how to retract Koala's terraforming when it's mixed with other terraforming from other movesets, but that's a problem for the programmers.

n88

Smash Lord
Friends, Romans, Countrymen. . . it's time for my annual self-indulgence when I post movesets no matter whether leadership, common sense and general consensus says I should. So just to clarify, it is not currently a submission period for MYM, but I will be posting a series of movesets over the next 24 hours anyway, and the community puts up with me for some reason. Anyhow, the first set will be up shortly! Happy February everyone!

n88

Smash Lord
Selene is Marvel's oldest living mutant, already eons old when early humans cobbled together the first civilizations. Selene has been able to sustain her incredibly long life through a form of psychic vampirism, stealing the life-force from likely young candidates to keep her youth and stunning beauty intact. Her powers also grant her considerable telepathic and telekinetic abilities. The final aspect of her mutation is her power to put absorbed life-force into inanimate objects, creating temporary minions. Using her mutant gifts drains her life-force, and she prefers to rely on her considerable magical abilities and skill as a manipulator.

Though the details of her origin and powers might throw you for a loop, Selene is still in many ways an archetypal vampire in the vein of Dracula, and is powerful enough to have taken on Magneto and Dr. Doom at the same time, and pose a threat even to super-teams as powerful as the X-Men.

Mechanics

Selene is just a bit shorter than (Zero Suit) Samus, and has a somewhat similar build, though her posture is much haughtier and more commanding. Her weight is, unfortunately for her, also comparable to Zero Suit Samus's. Though she is theoretically capable of quick movement, she would rather not do anything so undignified as sprinting (especially not in those heels), and so you'll find her ground movement and jumps to be just on the low side of average. Her ability to maneuver in the air is among the very best there is, however, thanks to her very fine-tuned control, quick lateral movement, and low fall speed.

Grab

Grab~Psychic Drain
Selene's grab range is nothing to write home about, but she is incredibly quick. Her pummel is the highlight of the move. Each tap of the button causes her eyes to glow blue, deals 2.5%, and adds 2.5% to Selene's "life-force." The extra life-force considerably augments Selene's physical abilities. A portion of all damage Selene takes equal to one tenth of the total amount of life-force she has stored is negated. The maximum damage barrier from this effect is 6%. Additionally, Selene's attacks are augmented by the life-force she's drained, which will be discussed later.

In battles with more than one opponent, this attack has an additional effect, providing Selene drains more than 50% from them (in a single stock). The afflicted fighter will, in the manner of a traditional vampire, have their pummel gain this life-force draining effect. The foe, however, will be dependent on the life-force they drain; when they have no absorbed life-force they will take damage at a rate of 7% per second. They also gain the same damage negation that Selene does, as well as a slight speed boost on all attacks and their dash. Life-force held by an afflicted opponent will dwindle at a rate of 7.5% per second, unless they are within four Stage Builder Units of Selene. Attacking Selene will cause the afflicted to take 1.2x as much damage (though no knockback) as they deal to Selene. The afflicted are also unaffected by all of Selene's specials, though that protection ends as soon as they attack Selene. When a fighter respawns, their affliction is cured.

Life-force does have a visual indicator; after stealing some, Selene will glow with a faint blue aura. The more she drains, the larger and brighter the aura gets.

Specials

Neutral~Psychic Blast
Selene's eyes turn bright blue for a moment (see the top left picture in the above montage) as bolts of black energy erupt from her head and spiral outward. The dark energy swirls around Selene's head, covering an area with a radius of one Mario-height around her head for as long as you hold the Special button, with a minimum of one twelfth of a second and a maximum of a full second. On releasing the Special button, the bolts of psychic energy fly radially outward. There are twelve Ganondorf-height bolts, each launched at angles 30 degrees apart, and they fly a distance of one and a quarter Battlefield platforms before disappearing in a poof of smoke.

Before being launched, the psychic energy will simply ensnare opponents, preventing anyone caught in it from attacking or moving as they sway back and forth, hypnotized. The actual blast deals 8% and low radial knockback. Though not an incredibly powerful attack, this move does have a wide range of utility thanks to its large area of effect. This attack is one of few unaffected by storing life-force.

Forward~Mind into Matter
With a crooked smirk on her face, Selene points forward as the stage one Battlefield platform ahead of her erupts upward, forming a pillar as tall and half again as Ganondorf, and as wide as the smallest Stage Builder Block. The pillar will last for eight seconds before it crumbles back down into the stage. There is no limit to how many of these Selene may create at one time, but the attack does leave her very vulnerable for a moment.

This pillar she creates will act solid to opponents, but will rearrange its dirt to allow Selene to pass through freely. If a foe is standing on top of the ground where the pillar is raised or jumps on top of a preexisting pillar, they'll be stuck in place atop it as though hit with a pitfall. If Selene is hit into the wall with an attack ordinarily powerful enough to cause them to ricochet, the pillar will slow Selene's momentum and gently release her on the other side of the pillar. Should this happen to the foe, they'll be pitfalled in the side of the wall.

Using this attack with life-force stored will result in a much taller pillar, twice as high as the original. Doing this drains 7.5% life-force.

Up~Shadow Form
Selene's body begins to stretch upward and blacken as she takes on the form seen in the upper left picture of the above montage. In this shadowy, elongated form the player can tilt the analog in any direction to send her gliding that way. The 'flight' lasts for four seconds before Selene's shadowy tail, which stretches all the way back to the point where she first used the move, races along its length and catches up with her head and shoulders to form back into Selene's body. Hitting Selene's head will knock her out of this stance, but missing and hitting the shadow will have no effect.

Anyone who touches Selene's shadow tail will be stunned and slowly dragged along it to the point where Selene reforms, depositing them in the clutches of her grab. Fighters can DI out of the slipstream, but it's no easy task, especially if they're caught in it closer to Selene. If multiple fighters are caught in the tail, the one closest to Selene will end up in the grab, while the others will be blasted away by a burst of blue flame that deals 15% and high radial knockback.

Selene cannot use most of her attacks while in her shadow form, but she can use her Neutral Special by pressing either attack button, or cancel out of the maneuver by tapping Shield. If Selene drags a foe into a pillar with this move, they'll be pitfalled in the side of it through the end of Selene's move (and for the normal amount of pitfall time afterward), and won't be dragged into the grab at the end of the maneuver.

This attack may only be used once per air trip but never leaves Selene in helpless. If Selene has life-force stored, contact with the shadow tail will deal passive damage equal to one third of the total amount of life-force stored per second, to a maximum of 14% per second.

Down~Dust to Dust
Crouching, Selene places one hand palm-down on the stage, and blue-black energy begins to spiral in toward the point of contact from the area around it. As she's doing this, any pillars within a Bowser-width of Selene will crumble to dust and disappear, as will any items or projectiles that enter the same radius.

If Selene has life-force stored, using this attack will burn through it at a rate of 15% per second. However, this life-force doesn't just go away; it heals Selene at a rate of 10% per second.

Throws
Forward~Shadow Rush
With the foe in her clutches, Selene changes to her shadow form as she blasts forward at Sonic's dash speed. The foe retains the escape progress they made during the pummel portion of the grab, and the move won't end until they escape, something hits them, Selene embeds them in a pillar or Selene reaches the edge of the platform and deposits the foe. When the foe is released (no matter how), Selene will retract her body along the shadow tail and wind up back at the point where she used the grab.

Back~Dismissal
Selene simply casts the foe aside, tossing the foe behind her on a trajectory that remains perfectly horizontal for at least a Battlefield platform's length. The attack only deals 3% and so has poor knockback growth, but the throw does get the foe's speed up just enough to embed them in a pillar at short distances. A good way to punish a foe who manages to get behind you or simply get someone out of your hair for a while.

Up~Foolish Mortal
Once again taking on her shadowy form, Selene blasts her victim straight upward, dealing 9% and moderate knockback, as she expands into a shadowy mass twice the size of Bowser, with only her head visible at the very top of the cloud. She only holds this form for a moment before shrinking back down, but anyone who touches her shadow will be sucked in and trapped in a grab. This is particularly useful when trying to suck the life out of a foe and another fighter tries to run in and take advantage of your distraction, though it requires careful timing to properly use it as a counter. Bear in mind that in this attack, as in all her other shadow form attacks, her head remains vulnerable.

Down~Dine and Dash
Selene's eyes briefly glow blue, and the foe is smashed downward into their prone state for 8%. Selene immediately vanishes, shrinking down into a microscopic shadow, and reappears atop the center of the highest point on the stage (pillars included). The animation of her reappearance is her disappearance animation in reverse.

Smashes
Though using Smashes does not drain Selene's life-force, they cannot be charged unless Selene has at least 7.5% stored.
Forward~Darkforce Flow
Selene reaches forward with one hand that promptly turns into a thin shadowy tendril and races forward at the speed of Fox's lasers. The tendril will reach through all stage hazards and walls, only stopping and dissipating (leaving Selene's hand intact, of course) when its tip reaches two Battlefield platforms' length from Selene. If a foe is hit by the tendril's tip, they'll take 10-14% and be weakly smashed downward. Foes who collide with the side of the tendril will be dragged along its length at the speed the tendril is travelling. This attack can be angled up or down.

Up~Animation
Casting one hand forward, fingers splayed and palm downward, Selene causes a Kirby-sized stone (or whatever the stage is made out of) fist to erupt from the stage in front of her. The fist reaches upward a Mario-height and deals 16-22.4% and strong upward knockback. Besides being Selene's strongest kill move, the fist lingers for about half a second before crumbling, acting as a barrier and a platform for Selene. If a foe tries to stand on a fist, it will immediately crumble, causing them to briefly tumble as if footstooled before regaining control. Like pillars, fists can be used to corral foes, albeit in a far more temporary way.

Down~Pyrokinesis
Selene scrapes one heel against the stage, throwing up a cascade of sparks which quickly erupt into blue flames that cover the stage within one and a half Stage Builder Units of Selene. Anyone who touches the fire will take 12-16.8% and low-moderate knockback. The flames do not affect Selene or foes, and last for two seconds.

Standards
Using Standards does drain Selene's life-force by the amount of damage the attack deals, and the attacks all receive a 2% damage bonus (not deducted from Selene's life-force) and minor reduction in start-up if Selene has more life-force built up before she uses the attack than the attack drains.
Jab~
Selene snaps her fingers and a blue fireball similar in appearance and animation to Din's Fire but half the size materializes just in front of Selene, dealing 7% and low radial knockback.

Forward~
Selene points forward and a line of blue fire emits from her finger and stretches forward a Stage Builder Unit before separating from Selene entirely and shooting forward a Battlefield platform's length. It deals 6% and drags foes to the end of its trajectory before disappearing. It can be angled up or down.

Up~
Selene coats her hand in blue flame and thrusts it straight upward, dealing 8% and sending foes diagonally upward with a flame effect. The flame is about the size of a purple Pikmin, making it a fairly large hitbox, especially considering the fact that it travels from nearly the stage all the way to the top of Selene's reach.

Down~
Selene brushes one hand along the stage, ending with her arm extended almost straight forward, creating a ripple in the stage that travels forward at Sonic's dash speed, dissipating after travelling forward 2.3 Battlefield platforms. If it hits a foe, they'll take 5% and trip.

Dash~
Selene stops dashing as she brings one leg up and executes a spin kick that deals 11% and strong knockback.

Aerials
Using Standards does drain Selene's life-force by the amount of damage the attack deals, and the attacks all receive a 2% damage bonus (not deducted from Selene's life-force) and minor reduction in start-up if Selene has more life-force built up before she uses the attack than the attack drains.
Neutral~
Selene crosses her arms over her chest, then flings them out to her sides, sending a ring of fire outward in all directions. The fire deals 4% and pushing the foe to the edge of its range, half a Battlefield platform away from Selene.

Forward~
Selene performs a simple sex kick that lasts slightly longer than most, and deals 8% then 5% (The attack only drains 8% life force). The kick directs foes downward if it hits after the initial thrust.

Back~
Selene half-spins and kicks out with one leg for 8% and light knockback. A thin jet of flame spurts out of the tip of her foot and extends outward two SBUs. It lasts only as long as the kick does, and deals 13% damage and high, mostly upward knockback.

Up~
Selene executes the dreaded flipkick, albeit a slightly fiery one than usual, dealing 8% and light radial knockback.

Down~
Selene changes into her shadowy form and dives straight downward at Sonic's dash speed five Ganondorf-heights. Everyone she hits along the way is sent sailing diagonally upward with 11% and a blue fire effect. At the bottom of the dive, she takes her human form on again as her falling speed returns to normal.

Final Smash
Selene has the Smash Ball! She uses its power to ascend to godhood. She steps into the background and out of the fight as her skin turns a deep blue hue and the air takes on a tint to match. As she steps back, a golem made out of the same material of the stage rises up out of the place where she used the Final Smash. The golem is twice the size of Ganondorf, and has similar proportions and the same moveset, albeit at double the power level. You are now free to control this golem, which is utterly invincible. Ganondorf's not fast enough to chase down your foes? Don't worry, there are about five or six other golems controlled by Level 8 AI working with you. They're not brilliant, but they should be able to at least slow the foe up enough to let you get some hits in. After ten seconds, all golems explode with the power of a Bob-Omb and Selene returns to the stage.

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
Mechanic Descrption
Character Description

Thunder Golem

Not the most accurate image in the world, but I kid you not, this is the only relevant thing I could find searching for "electric golem" on both Google and Deviantart. (hippo) Basically just imagine a collection of rocks of various sizes in a vague humanoid shape, held together by electrical currents.

Stats

Movement Speed: Slow walking, average dash
Traction: Perfect
First Jump: Below average
Midair Jump: Bad. Dedede's midair jump without the extra jumps.
Fall Speed: Slightly above average.
Air Speed: Below average
Air Control: Average
Size: Big. Technically twice the size of good ol' Ganondorf, but he's normally hunched-over or curled up so he's rarely that huge on-screen.
Weight: Heavy. He's a pile of rocks!

Animations

Idle: The Thunder Golem stands hunched-over, propping itself up with its hands like some kind of monstrous gorilla. The rocks that compose its body will shift in seemingly random directions as time goes on.

Crouch: Thunder Golem essentially falls-apart into a pile of rocks on the ground, subtle electrical currents the only way to discern its identity.

Walk/Run: The Thunder Golem continues its gorilla-like movement, with the only notable difference between a walk and a run being the speed it moves.

Dash: Thunder Golem's hands and feet transform into make-shift "wheels", rolling along the ground to carry the rest of the body forwards.

Jump: Thunder Golem clumsily jumps into the air.

Midair Jump: Thunder Golem...vaguely moves upwards. Normal aerial movement is NOT this thing's strong point.

Air dodge: Just like its Nimble Fighter dodge, the Thunder Golem spreads its rocks into the foreground and background. On that note, when performing a Nimble Fighter dodge, it glows yellow instead of the usual "invincibility white".

Neutral Special: Kinetic Burst
Thunder Golem roars and spreads its limbs as an electric burst emits from his entire body! This has low startup lag and moderate end lag, and transcendent priority, but the move only deals 5% and flinching knockback…that is, if you don’t charge it first. The move slowly charges up when Thunder Golem uses mobility attacks, eventually maxing out at 25% and KOing at 80%, the lightning intensifying into a lovely display of electrical death! This is one instance in which the dodge of Nimble Fighter comes in handy, since it can allow mobility attacks to continue past their standard distance and in turn grant Thunder Golem a little more charge. You can see how much charge Thunder Golem has with the color of its electricity: It starts blue then slowly fades to green, yellow, and eventually red.

This is, unsurprisingly, an awesome KO move, and the large AOE of the move allows it to be occasionally used for defensive purposes.

Side Special: Stone Whip
With above average startup lag, the central stone of Thunder Golem’s body extends outwards a moderate distance from the rest of itself, a tether of lightning keeping it connected. The rock then slams down on the ground, before reversing direction and moving in an upwards arc over Thunder Golem, slamming down on the ground behind it before once again reversing direction to slam the front again. If Thunder Golem is at least its full jump in the air, the rock won’t hit the ground and will actually pass under it before making another pass in the same direction. In other words, this move recreates the Rock/Spark combo in Kirby 64 (h).

Touching the lightning deals 5% and a flinch, while touching the rock deals 12% and “outwards knockback” in the direction the lightning is facing, KOing horizontally at 110%. Enemies are immune to hits from the move for a brief moment after being struck, but the lightning’s hitbox is instantly reset upon ricocheting. The rock lasts for 10 seconds or until it hits solid objects 3 times, laglessly returning to the body at this time. Since the rock is a part of Thunder Golem’s body it will take damage, but it is completely immune to stuns, knockback, and grabs. Besides providing another hitbox for Thunder Golem to utilize in mid-close range, the rock will continue to stay active during air dodges, and remember what I said about Nimble Fighter’s dodge component acting as an air dodge…

Up Special: Lightning Strike
Thunder Golem unleashes a burst of lightning under its feet to leap upwards twice the height of Falco’s first jump. The lightning deals 9% and a paralyzer effect, but Thunder Golem’s body has no hitbox during this time. The jump can be directed left and right with decent movement, and as Thunder Golem falls it emits a minor electrical pulse, causing a trail of it to lag behind it that lasts for 1.5 seconds. Its body now deals 10% and horizontal knockback that KOs at 145%, and the lightning trail once again deals 9% and a paralyzer effect. Finally, when Thunder Golem lands, It emits a stronger pulse, dealing 12% and vertical knockback that star KOs at 115%.

This attack has below average startup lag and moderate end lag. It’s an interesting approaching option as the lightning trail helps to keep Thunder Golem safe against someone looking to punish from above, or to cut off an escape route if it misses. It’s also, naturally, considered a movement attack until the final landing pulse, allowing full access to Nimble Fighter.

Down Special: Seismic Pound
Thunder Golem lifts one leg before slamming it back into the ground, dealing 14% and spiking knockback, and causing a small rocky hill to be created right in front of it. If performed in the air, Thunder Golem will drop straight down with its feet out-stretched, the same effect occurring and the drop considered a movement attack. This is treated as a solid object and can be destroyed after taking 40 damage or having a character knocked into it. In the case of the latter, the character sent into it takes 13% and has their knockback instantly negated as they take high hit-stun. The other key feature of this move is that it has slopes on both sides. This allows characters to simply walk over it, but if the Thunder Golem performs some attacks on the slopes, they will be granted movement properties as Thunder Golem uses its momentum to carry itself forwards with the move. These properties only manifest themselves in these slopes, not on any that naturally occur on the stage, perhaps because only these are the perfect angle and size for Thunder Golem to utilize properly.

There is .4 seconds of lag to summoning the slope, and only 1 can be in-play at a time, with old ones crumbling to dust as new ones are formed. The solid aspect of the rocky formation allows Thunder Golem to slow down enemies or send them into it for combos. Meanwhile, the slopes on the formation provide some extra mobility options for our giant rock monster, which in turn means it has more chances to build charge for Kinetic Burst.

Final Smash: Nature’s Wrath
Thunder Golem lets out another mighty roar as its stones separate into a whirling ball of death, a body-like formation of electrical energy at the center of it. For the next 12 seconds, this super-charged form of Thunder Golem can move in any direction at a moderate speed for passive hits of 2% each, or access 2 attacks. Press the Attack Button to quickly dash 1/3 of Battlefield in any direction for 15% and knockback that KOs at 90%, or press the Special Move button to fire a bolt of lightning across the stage, dealing 12% and a paralyzer effect. Both regular movement and the dash build charge for Kinetic Burst, and Thunder Golem is invincible during this move, so if you don’t want to go for a direct KO you are free to dash back and forth to build up a lot of charge.

Clash and Parry
Thunder Golem's A parry is simply shoving his opponent to the ground, dealing 8% and a trip effect, though Thunder Golem cannot combo from this move. His B parry is a headbutt that deals 11% and set knockback across 1/4 of Battlefield, providing some extra space against offensive characters without sending the enemy too far away for Thunder Golem to begin pursuing his foe. Ironically, Thunder Golem has no parry moves that involve mobility, a trade-off for the fact that his above average base damage allows him to win the majority of clashes.

Playstyle
Thunder Golem is a mid-close range powerhouse. With Stone Whip covering the lag of its attacks, it can approach with several mobility attacks such as Lightning Strike, and if it needs more it can utilize stone slopes to literally throw its weight around. Once up close, its high damage and good hitboxes allow it come ahead in trades. While the high base knockback on many of its attacks forces it to keep approaching, this also means Thunder Golem gets to gradually build up its Kinetic Burst technique for an awesome finishing blow! Thunder Golem’s main weaknesses are its large size to make defensive play difficult without a Stone Whip, and its lack of a hitbox on the rising portion of Lightning Strike, leaving it susceptible to gimping. Thunder Golem should always be looking for opportunities to maintain offensive momentum, both literally and figuratively.

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
Apologies for the double post, but I want to announce that due to real life making it impossible for me to read an adequate number of movesets, I am not voting in the MYM13 top 50, and therefore retracting my movesets from the contest.

I thank anyone who was planning on voting for my movesets. I know that 2 of them had...mixed reception to put it nicely, but I am quite pleased with what I've done this time around. Garble's one of my favorite personal movesets, Grimlock is a HR-style 1v3 boss, and King Sombra is a character with setting-up and range who still manages to be an offensive pressure character.

As for MYM14, I won't make any promises, but I will say that Asura has made actual progress, so there's that.

Junahu

Smash Ace
Comments
Low ground speed, High aerial speed. It's the new hip thing with you punk kids
Deathborn
This set might be cutting it a bit close to the bone for me, as it's primarily about forcing your opponent to become a Junahu-lian 2v1 moveset, before outwitting them, KOing them, and just generally making them out to be complete bafoons.
But it's a brilliant concept, and in a decision that genuinely surprised me, you didn't dwell too much on its execution, nor on the layering of interactions, instead filling the moveset with completely pragmatic attacks that serve to get under the opponent's skin. I earnestly love this moveset.

There is, dare I say it, a genuine, natural flow to how this moveset works. I got the feeling that you wholly understand the challenges that such a moveset would face, and designed Deathborn to meet those challenges. Things such as how removing some of the foe's attacks would increase their predictability, which the moveset itself relies upon to function. Or how you incentivise having the opponent damage themselves. Or how the AI's predictable routines force the opponent to likewise behave counter to those routines.
The moveset thinks much deeper about the opponent's own thoughts and reactions than probably any moveset I can remember.
Character wise, this is hands down the best manipulator moveset I've ever read. The way in which the playstyle naturally pans out makes Deathborn into a malicious attacker of the mind. More than simply attacking the opponent, Deathborn requires the player to attack the opposing player's approach to the match. And the metaphors that stream out of the body vs mind aspects are frankly wonderful.
Of course, I don't know Deathborn well enough to make a judgement on how well he slots into this role, or even if the playstyle you craft holds any relevancy for him, but he at the very least looks the part. And F-Zero characters do tend to be blank slates...

I do have one main complaint though. Regarding the very first attack, there doesn't seem to be any incentive at all to not summon and keep a brain, since Deathborn doesn't have a secondary game to engage a solo opponent with. So the player would create a brain and simply leave it on, only switching it off briefly if he gets into a tight spot.
Perhaps you've thought much farther ahead than me on this, but I would have loved to see a scenario where switching off the brain at an opportune moment actually moves Deathborn closer to his goals.

And as much as you focus on Deathborn's main goals and paths to victory, it would have been nice to see some more acknowledgement of how fun these attacks would be within a FFA enviroment. You definitely need to get to writing that playstyle section.

Incidentally, when mind-linked with an opponent and they are struck by an attack, can Deathborn shield or dodge the effects so only the foe suffers?

Selene

I don't enjoy having to say this, but Selene left me feeling disappointed past its mid-point. It's a depressing feeling getting halfway through a moveset only to see every move afterward sharply decreasing in length, explanation and passion. You make absolutely no attempt to sell the aerial game as anything other than Brawl aerials that exist to fill inputs. That's not a great way to end a moveset. It doesn't give the reader a lot of drive to understand or piece together what they read (a problem that is compounded when there is no playstyle explanation to help them). You need to put some effort into explaining the utility of even the most basic of attacks. Even if you're in a hurry. Even if you just want to push past those inputs.
There was also the teasing promise of Golems, relegated to the nethers of a Final Smash. Of course, I completely admire your restraint in not making Selene a summoner moveset (as you say, it's not within her character to create minions when there are other ways to win). But those few mentions of the golems almost seem to be baiting the reader to assume that summons would appear and become relevant at some point.

Phew, I really shouldn't dwell on the negative like that. It's not fair.
It was a little tricky for me to piece together the incentives and playstyle that drives Selene, since the vampirism mechanic takes some interesting twists and turns that you neglect to give enough fanfare.
For example, the primary way Selene loses life-force, is through her fastest inputs; her standards and aerials. This makes for an interesting dynamic where using the most reliable and simplest moves (the ones you'd use when in a tight spot) actually weakens Selene, forcing her to play conservatively aggressive whenever she has any life-force to abuse. That's a great way to passively encourage more active and risky play.

There's an obvious wall game here, with Selene being able to dart back and forth between the two sides, sniping the foe with a side smash/Up special, or taking advantage of their clumsy attempt to scale the wall. Having a wall obviously helps land her grabs, while the foe is entirely unable to turn the tables on Selene (due to her ability to just phase through). I would perhaps go as far to say that Selene's walls have no downside to them, and considering their considerable size and Selene's intransience to them, there's nothing really stopping her from putting them everywhere.

It's difficult to point out anything major that I enjoyed about the moveset, not because I didn't enjoy it on any level, but because there's a lot of good little things that coalesce into solid whole. So the rest of this comment will be just some of the little things I liked about the set;

I like how you avoid the problem of her moveset being bottlenecked through her grab-game, by offering a secondary move for grabbing the foe. I like the sensation and impact of slamming the foe into a pillar via her shadow form. I like how physically splitting up a match using pillars as dividers, is a neat and simple way of showing the manipulative side of Selene's character, along with all the various moves that allow her to put space between her and her foe. I like the collage image at the start of the moveset that covers her history as a character, and makes her look self conceited. I like the seperation of her grab and her throws, it really drives home the importance of landing grabs. I like that in bigger matches, Selene can make an opponent into her "slave", via a status that punishes them severely if they attack her.

FrozenRoy

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-1325-2408-7513
Apologies for the double post, but I want to announce that due to real life making it impossible for me to read an adequate number of movesets, I am not voting in the MYM13 top 50, and therefore retracting my movesets from the contest.

I thank anyone who was planning on voting for my movesets. I know that 2 of them had...mixed reception to put it nicely, but I am quite pleased with what I've done this time around. Garble's one of my favorite personal movesets, Grimlock is a HR-style 1v3 boss, and King Sombra is a character with setting-up and range who still manages to be an offensive pressure character.

As for MYM14, I won't make any promises, but I will say that Asura has made actual progress, so there's that.
I can understand not wanting to vote, but please don't retract your movesets from this contest: all it does is randomly punish anybody who actually wanted to vote your sets. There's literally no reason to withdraw your movesets.

n88

Smash Lord
Turtle

Koopa Troopa
Everybody loves Koopas! One of Mario's original, most common enemies, Koopa Troopas are those adorable turtle-y creatures that Bowser sends out in droves to die at Mario's feet. They may not be the most formidable foe you'll face in Smash, but give 'em a hand for making it this far!

Mechanics
Koopa Troopas are much the same size as they appear in Brawl's adventure mode, and weigh as much as Diddy Kong. Their movement is slightly sub-par across the board, both on the ground and in the air. They have a very high shield size to body size ratio, however, and superb roll dodges that are very quick and far-reaching.

Note that in order to damage Koopas, you need to hit their heads, limbs or bellies. If you hit only their shells with an attack, an item, another Koopa shell, or whatever, they will duck into their shells and take knockback, in the style of the Koopa Shell item, but no damage.

Specials
Neutral
Koopa Troopas suddenly hop upward slightly, then begin to pump their feet back and forth, like they're getting ready to run. When you tap either left or right with the analog, Koopas will dash off in the direction you indicate. They'll receive a speed boost that makes them dash at Captain Falcon's dash speed as well! The speed boost lasts one Battlefield platform for every second you held down the Special button.

Forward
Koopa Troopas tuck themselves into their shells and throw themselves forward, much like Squirtle does. In fact, this move functions identically to that one with the exception that this one is slightly more damaging thanks to Koopas moving more quickly, with Koopas dealing 10-6% based on the speed he's moving when he hits. The added speed also makes it more useful for recovery.

Up
A pale imitation of Lord Bowser's Whirling Fortress, Koopas tuck into their shells and spin to gain some height and influence their lateral movement. Though this version of the attack deals a meager 3% and barely pops foes upward, it actually covers a good deal more ground vertically, potentially giving Koopas a two Mario-height advantage in the recovery department over their somewhat tubby king. (Don't tell Bowser)

Down
Koopa Troopas pull into their shells and sit there for as long as you hold the button. They take no damage from any attack and are much better at maneuvering in the air than they are in their normal form. Also, note that they are very resistant to taking vertical knockback, though they're easy to send sliding across the stage. Why would Koopas use this instead of their Forward Special? They're similar states, but this is far quicker to enter and exit, and sometimes Koopas like not zooming around the stage.

Standards
Jab
Koopa Troopas will stick their necks out to sneak in a headbutt for 4% and very low, totally horizontal knockback. Though most of their ground attacks are very fast, this is the quickest and also the easiest to follow up on.

Forward
Koopa Troopas will stick their necks out a little, much like their last attack, and go for a bite, dealing 6% and low knockback. Not too easy to follow up on, but it gives decent damage for its speed.

Up
Koopas face the screen and hop upward a short distance with their arms stretched upward (their heads are really the hitbox here, since their arms are so stubby). If they nail an opponent, they pop them straight upward a short distance for 2%.

Down
Once again pulling back into their shells, Koopas spin themselves forward one SBU, dealing 3% and low upward knockback.

Dash
When given the command to dash attack, Koopas will promptly pull into their shells and slide to a halt. This is similar to Koopas' Forward Special, but ends much more quickly. Damage is once again based on speed. If Koopas use it while boosted from Neutral Special, they'll actually deal 13% initially, making it one of their stronger attacks. Otherwise it will only deal 7% off the bat, making it less powerful than the Forward Special. Koopas come to rest within a Battlefield platform's length no matter how fast they started.

Grabgame
Grab
Koopas' grab range is quite poor thanks to those stubby arms, but they make up for it with a measure of speed. Their pummel is a quick headbutt for 2%, and is on the high side of spammable.

Forward
Koopas will pop into their shell and spin forward, identically to their Forward Special. The only difference is that here, they'll do it with a foe stuck on their back, haplessly spinning along for the ride. This never damages the foe in any way, but the foe is stuck until they escape at half grab difficulty, they get hit by something else, or the Koopa they're riding slows to a halt.

Back
This input is nigh identical to the Forward Throw, with the exception of the direction Koopas will take off when prompted. Disappointing, I know, but this is one of those moves that really needs to go both ways.

Up
Yet another variation on a headbutt! Will these things never end?! With this input, a Koopa will toss the foe into the air just above it, then rear back and slam the foe with his noggin, sending the enemy sailing diagonally upward and dealing 9% damage. Sometimes you just want a little bit of damage and some distance. This is the throw Koopas use for that.

Down
Koopas use this input to turn the tables on their foes! The unfortunate victim is thrown along the ground, sliding on their belly. Koopas aren't very strong, though; this only sends the enemy half a Battlefield platform's length away and deals 6% damage.

Aerials
Neutral
With a quick horizontal spin, Koopas cement their firm lack of originality in the 'ways to hit people' department. Though to be fair, they actually spin without tucking in this time, slightly increasing the size of the hitbox. Said hitbox deals 5% and low knockback.

Forward
In a rare usage of legs for something other than movement, Koopas take the opportunity to stretch their feet out in front of them and kick up and down, dealing rapid hits of 0.5% totaling up to a potential 6%. The final hit sends foes diagonally forward and downward.

Back
Taking a page from Bowser's book, Koopas will scoot backwards in an attempt to ram the foe with their shell, dealing 8% and decent horizontal knockback. This is one of the more powerful aerial attacks that Koopas have access to but much like the King Koopa's rendition, it suffers from horrid end lag.

Up
Koopa takes a mighty leap upward and. . . ah, who am I kidding, it's more of a little thrust. And that's actually all Koopas manage for the attack, battering foes with their little bodies just a little bit for 4% and weak upward knockback.

Down
In the attack only everyone saw coming, Koopas elect to pull into their shells and dive downward, increasing their falling speed substantially and dealing 9% to anyone they bump into.

Smashes
Forward
As they charge this attack (and their other smash attacks), Koopas will spin in place. If hit by an attack or another Koopa shell, the Koopa will be sent spinning just like the item, but with a 1.2x damage boost. Anyway, when the charge is released, Koopas throw their shell forward in a small arc, as they tend to do in Smash Adventure modes, dealing 9-13% and decent knockback.

Up
Fun fact: the moves in this set aren't titled because they are all secretly named ShellSpin. This time, Koopa will jump into the air and spin vertically rather than horizontally, creating a significantly larger hitbox that deals 10-14% and radial knockback that can kill around 120%, the most powerful in this moveset. Koopas only take to the air for the briefest of moments, but there is just enough space underneath them for a Koopa Shell to sneak under.

Down
In another move that seems suspiciously similar to one of Squirtle's, Koopa Troopa spins back and forth momentarily, dealing 8-12% and moderate upward knockback.

Final Smash
Koopa Troopa whips out a red cape (red for the violent communist revolution he's about to lead) and ties it on as he assumes the throne of Koopa King, which appears in the background for the lucky Koopa to climb onto. His soldiers? Why, Bowser, Bowser, Jr, and Kamek of course. Bowser Jr and Kamek are controlled by Level 9 AI, while Bowser is controlled by the Koopa Troopa player. All three are invincible, and Bowser is twice as powerful (and twice as large) as he usually is. After ten seconds, Koopa Troopa's communist regime topples and he's forced to resume the match as his former soldiers exit the match to take back their positions of power.

Helpful Hints
+Koopa Troopas work well together
+Pinball hijinks are a must
+They can be quite tricky to finish off
-Unfortunately they have trouble killing by themselves

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
I can understand not wanting to vote, but please don't retract your movesets from this contest: all it does is randomly punish anybody who actually wanted to vote your sets. There's literally no reason to withdraw your movesets.
I don't think it's fair to the other MYMers for my stuff to get ads and votes when I won't be giving any of those myself. If the community really wants to keep my stuff eligible, then sure, but I remember MT doing exactly this a few MYMs back so I'm following a precedent.

Davidreamcatcha

Smash Ace
I don't think it's fair to the other MYMers for my stuff to get ads and votes when I won't be giving any of those myself. If the community really wants to keep my stuff eligible, then sure, but I remember MT doing exactly this a few MYMs back so I'm following a precedent.
This should be a decision that's completely up to you, not based on what the community wants. That's just my thoughts at least.

JOE!

Smash Hero
Well... HR is the only entrant...

Blame it on end of contest and extend it again? Or be a hard-case and penalize everybody... Hmmm...

:phone:

FrozenRoy

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-1325-2408-7513
Well... HR is the only entrant...

Blame it on end of contest and extend it again? Or be a hard-case and penalize everybody... Hmmm...

:phone:
It was almost certainly the end of the contest, so. I know that's why I didn't work on it (but I didn't finish my set in time...), plus the Super Bowl being today.

FrozenRoy

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-1325-2408-7513
Naw, you should be allowed to withdraw your sets if you want, and I certainly wouldn't try to stop you. Just sad that it turned out that way and wish it didn't, heh.

FrozenRoy

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-1325-2408-7513

Dark Meta Knight is an interesting example of a set which appears on the surface much shallower than it actually is. On the surface, Dark MK here is pretty much just a Brawl moveset with one or two flashier things attached. But once you scratch under the surface and look deeper, you find it is much more.

Dark MK is, in actuality, an extremely interesting set on predicated on the fine presence of zoning with addition tools: His Neutral Specual tornado provides a slow moving essentially barrier of damage that causes great issues with the foe's spacing, while also keeping the foe to a more restricted space, which combined with one or two moves to knock the foe into range and his great re-positioning Down Throw, means that Dark MK is able to greatly take advantage of sword sweetspots and moves such as his Down Tilt and Down Smash. Of course, the tornado's cessation of existance upon hitting a wall or the stage's edge proves problematic...which is when Dark MK's F-Throw and B-Throw come into play, which respectively allow him to redirect or straight-up reflect the tornado, letting it's hitbox play out throughout it's massive timer. This creates a sort of feedback loop of playstyle, as Dark MK's specials allow him to better utilize his range and zoning abilities, which in turn allow him to extend his specials which further allow him to zone better. It never reaches absurdly broken strength levels, remaining grounded at all levels. Tied into all this is Dark MK's unique counter, which increases the damage and knockback of his attack for a certain amount of time...with inequality in the buffing which means you'll often reach maximum increase before maximum time, meaning Dark MK will want to play aggressively and utilize what he has built up to crush the foe before the time expires.

Remaining grounded realistically all the while but creating a playstyle within it that combines interesting looks at basic concepts and a deep playstyle which would be fun to play in an actual game and has enough to entertain the more complex minds of MYM, Dark MK is one of the best sets this contest. It is, indeed, a Good Plorf Set.

Davidreamcatcha

Smash Ace
Big Mac

The Sniper is a set from the somewhat ill-fated CTF Mode movement, being for the renowned Australian Sniper from the game. Of course, the Sniper's primary job is one as a camper, being given the obvious ability to aim and fire a crosshair through multiple "camera zones". What makes this truly unique is the multiple ammo types that he has to fire: including impaling arrows and jarate-covered bullets. He also has an ammo type that lets him take a more offensive role, and is perhaps the most important and interesting one in the set: an arrow with a wire attached, which allows him to make massive drop-through platforms for his allies to use for the purpose of a clear path to the enemy base. While this may seem counterproductive, the Sniper also has multiple ways of dealing with foes who attempt to climb into his base: including his jarate and a slicing down tilt. Adding on to this, he also has another wired arrow that allows him to both climb the massive walls of bases and pull key enemies away from raiding groups. The role of a camper is an obvious niche to fill in a multiplayer gamemode like this, and the Sniper manages to do it perfectly while adding his own unique gameplay into the mix. The Sniper is a set that manages to take far more advantage of the mode he was designed for than most of the other sets in the movement. In fact, he deserves to be recognized right next to the equally-excellent, yet well-known, forerunner of the CTF Movement: The Soldier.

Big Mac

Zak is a more jokey moveset than the ones above, to the point that it can be claimed that it's an outright jokeset. Zak recreates the events in his Ace Attorney case to a tee: disappearing and leaving Valant to run everything. He also follows a similar gameplan to another AA set, Von Karma - using cops to frame the opponent. It doesn't stop there, as Zak is able to frame his own minions - giving minions like Thalassa reasons to use suicide KOs and whatnot. While cops are hostile to Zak, he can also selfishly use his own minions as shields and sponges to defend himself. It's a set with very good characterization, surprising from a newcomer, and also manages to be very funny in how parodyish it is of the case and AA sets in general. Overall, it's a hilarious moveset and a commendable first set from Big Macv.

Tigger
BKupa666

Tigger, as you are now doubt aware, is a character from Winnie the Pooh. Get rid of your series bias from previously done sets for the series, because this one is actually done right. Tigger uses hunny for a purpose that actually works for Smash, proving his disgust for it not by eating it, but by throwing it away. Once there, it can prove beneficial to Tigger by allowing him to "glue" foes together, which as you might guess, means Tigger is especially geared towards FFAs. Of course, Tigger's trademark bouncing comes into play as he uses it to bounce off his foes and send them spiraling to their dooms. He represents that same, hyperactive character he is in the series, and makes the transition to Smash format surprisingly well. While some might criticize the usage of Scarecrows in the moveset, both as bouncing posts when he can bounce off of midair hunny pots for the same effect and as deterrents to the characterization of the moveset, I find it quite alright. Tigger uses Scarecrows for a similar purpose in the new Winnie the Pooh movie (of which the image for this ad is taken from), and it allows him multiple targets in 1v1, allowing him to use his grab-game and overall gameplan in a fashion reminiscent of his FFA playstyle. It's a well-done moveset for a character whose potential isn't exactly up to the standards of most movesets posted nowadays.

JOE!

Smash Hero
So, thinking of extending the mini to simply finishing the set for mym 14 due to the time / transition issues...

What do you guys think? It would also allow a new Challenge to begin for 14 as well.

JOE!

Smash Hero
CHALLENGE UPDATE

After a little talking, here's the deal:

Due during the first week of MYM 14, your character must have all the requirements seen up to this point, as well as 2 sections of your choosing: Standards, Smashes, Aerials, Grab game, Extra.​

JOE!

Smash Hero
Cool, this also gives time for NEWCOMERS as well!

[100110100110] SAWTOOTH and SQUAREWAVE [100110100110]​

Rap Robots by majora_787​

Sawtooth and Squarewave are a pair of rap robots who have what may be the most satisfying series of hit-confirms known to man. You see, whenever they toss out a move a speech bubble and sound clip appears saying the move's name and thanks to their Groove and Shade rhythm system, you can actually rap your way to victory!

This mechanic isn't purely aesthetic however, as each move flows to another based on whether it rhymes (shade combo) or is the same "type" (linking Aerials makes groove combos, for example). Majora went ahead and made just about 3 variations of each move listed for players to mess around with, and with each section adding new, interesting interactions and animations it's a blast to imagine your own playlist of combos being tossed out at foes!

Aside from a little nitpick about an item vs prop in the Nair, this is a fantastic set due to the sheer concept behind it, and a great read.

STROMBOLI
by Davidreamcatcha and Master Warlord

Stromboli is the villainous, gypsy puppeteer found within the animated Disney feature, Pinocchio. As such, Stromboli's game plan is to put on a puppet show! Using his trademark Russian dancer puppets, puppet strings and attitude he is sure to get praise from any audience!

Stromboli has a couple of playstyles to choose from, leaving players to decide what kind of show they want to put on. He can perform a solo act, rely on puppets to sway the audience in his favor, control the foe like he did Pinocchio, or any combination thereof. Speaking of the audience, Stromboli takes advantage of the built in smash audience with his unique Nspec: where his performance is judged in either boos and tomatoes, or applause and gold!

Dave and WL take all they can and then some from what limited screen time he has and turn Stromboli into a memorable set with great characterization, be sure to check it out.

The set is ROSE LALONDE. AGIDIUS gave it a variety of STYLES. He seems to enjoy creative writing and but others AREN'T SO MUCH.

In all seriousness, the presentation of Rose is astounding, a story within itself that I (as somebody who has never heard of Homestuck and yet has two ads for sets of the series...) could follow along and be intrigued by with each move. Rose's playstyle is unique in that her weapon of choice happens to be a pair of knitting needles, as well as magic thread that she can weave into reality. As the set goes on however, she goes from a novice knitter in a virtual world, to a full - blown sorceress with her magic, tying her moves together as the story wraps up.

While her playstyle isn't entirely new, with the thread giving a good deal of utility to her gameplay to differentiate her from others in her archetype, the presentation alone makes this set a must-read!

FrozenRoy

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-1325-2408-7513
Gwyndolin

"First thou offendeth the Godmother, and now thou see fit to trample upon the tomb of the Great Lord."​

Gwyndolin is a set by Tirkaro, making me 2-for-2 on my weird user advertisements. And if you ignore the use of sidewards repeatedly, you find a fun and innovative set underneath...even if not all of the moves are paragraph long epics.

The base of Gwyndolin turns him from simply a set into an almost character-mode combo by creating a great mechanic with the Wrath of the Darkmoon: an interactive mechanic that has matches with Gwyndolin constantly flooded by minions...PLAYER CONTROLLED minions, a mode people can play upon gaining a trophy. As the description puts, you could be invading any game as a minion: From the EVO grand finals to a child's sleep over. This mode and the possibilities for messing around with it seem like great fun and while it has some issues that would need to be smoothed over, it's a great hook.

The set follows up on this by bringing the concept of expanding the stage to the idea: not as in terraforming, just making it larger. Avoiding many of the balance issues that plagued Doc Scratch's use of it and turning it into a central playstyle element, Gwyndolin is able to not only create plenty of stage for the use of his mechanic, but to use his ranged attacks and further, computer controlled minions. It never goes crazy, but still implements multiple little things that combine to create a rich, inviting playstyle: for example, the down tilt counter is an innovative use of a counter, while the Royal Sentinel is interesting as a minion due to it's use more like a large meatshield, and other little things. The set could use some number crunching at times (up tilt!), but it's still all entrancing enough to be quite nice.

Finally of note is a largely excellent presentation, with the exception of the continued use of "sidewards", and what appears to be excellent characterization in the words and moves, with a great opening to the set itself. Although it has negatives, the positives outweigh them and so serve as a wonderful set you should read and, if it is low or off your votelist, reconsider raising it up.

Otherwise it may not go so well for you heretic...

Junahu

Smash Ace
Usually I would do this in MYM's Social Group, but that seems to have come down with a chronic case of the "not existing"

It's MYM Avatar frames! Again! As per usual, if you want to use one, go ahead. Paste it overtop an image of a pretty lady or a cactus with a face, or whatever you kids enjoy these days.
This time they're 96x96 px in size, which is the size Smashboards is resizing its avatars to (meaning all my previous frames look like blurred crud now).

transparency version (for photoshoppers and gimpers)

Non-transparency version (for all you Microsoft Paint folks)

Davidreamcatcha

Smash Ace

Some of these are obvious if I've talked with you about them, and pretty much all of these are obvious anyway. But hey, I posted my ads - I'll take the obligatory "post plans that you'll most likely never make" time and like it.

Bottom Right Plan/5th char is invalid, learned someone else is doing the char.

n88

Smash Lord
Looks like a lot, doesn't it? Don't consider this a "things I might make next contest" list so much as a collection of characters from which I'll be drawing for the next two or three (These things are usually overly ambitious and not really representative of what I end up making anyway, so I figured I should just go ahead and bring that to the extreme). In fact, I may only get to a couple of these in MYM14, as I'll be focusing on the bet sets I promised last contest. Additionally, I've got Vigilante (my mini entry) to worry about and Ultron, the final postponed Nate Day set, scheduled to drop on MYM14 opening day. I also plan to resume my old habits of actually paying some attention to what the hell's going on in MYM, so I should have an interesting contest coming up. Happy movesetting and finish those ads up, people!​

Katapultar

Smash Lord

Having quit leadership, I no longer feel obligated to make a whole bunch of sets in one contest or comment a ton of sets. Now I can start over fresh, and concentrate on movesetting in the way I feel is best suited to myself; picking specific characters I reeeeeally like and doing everything in my power to make sure they're represented to the best possible extent through their moveset, through months-end of work. As a result, I'll be far less active next contest, but at least you can all look forward to my stuff far more than if I was making 10-ish sets of erratic quality each contest just to fill up the list. I want to make movesets I -care- about!

Hint: The chosen characters all have the same voice actress.
Hint 2: This actress voiced the character Junahu wore as his avatar during the second half of this contest. He has made a moveset for her.

Scyphozoa

Smash Cadet
❥ hi εvεry☼nε, s☼rry i ωas g☼nε s☼ l☼ng❤ i ωas in japan and i hads n☼ intεrnεts sincε thε fl☼☼d a ωhilε βack βut i lεarnεd thε ωays ☼f thε ya☼i and thε kaωaii ωhilε i ωas ☼vεr thεrε!! it's g☼☼d t☼ βε βack❤ i'm t☼tεs ω☼rking ☼n a supεr kaωaii m☼vεsεt f☼r y☼u guys!!! εxpεct it❤

ForwardArrow

Smash Ace
Sakuya Izayoi

This was a set that did get a lot of hype when it came out, but that was abruptly cut off around the time it got commentary from some of the most prolific MYMers. I think, personally, that this is a shame. Sakuya provides more versatility than any other combo set in existence between its four specials. You have a duplicate who Sakuya can delegate particularly laggy attacks that would be clunky to use otherwise too, allowing for far more advanced combo options or placing foes in more ideal spaces. Spacing becomes a lot more critical in the time limit Sakuya’s set ups work on, but they’re no less fascinating than a more apparently flashy set. The reason for that comes in her Side and Neutral Specials, which allow her to leave any attack behind in a delayed form or create a dial which alters time. When you have knives that explode into several more knives, stacking knockback to create a big KO move for the otherwise KO starved Sakuya, and time bomb knives that stick in foes, the less interesting later moves in the set become a lot more exciting.

That’s all fine, but what really sells the set is, in my opinion, the Luna Dials. They create a totally different game within their borders, although perhaps more interesting is the game around their borders, as the modified states of speed and power interact with each other. It’s not as if foes can’t use these too, and with their ever shrinking nature, the delayed knives around, and the fact that a foe can abuse them at the wrong moment, it makes Sakuya’s spacing element with the duplicates far more intense than in a lot of other sets.

So for all that there is to get excited about here, many people have leveled complaints against the set. First of all, the balance. I’ll admit Sakuya’s pretty bloody powerful with all her combo options, but they come at a cost. A foe can DI around as the knives hit them, creating a more tense scenario as Sakuya works to make sure they stay in the combo, and there’s a great deal of spacing and management of her reasources required. Frankly, if you manage an infinite, either the foe brought it on themselves or it was some really impressive thinking on your part, because Sakuya has a good few of her faster combo moves re-space herself and she’s not exactly lag free in other areas. And… she has a bell that blocks projectiles? This is suddenly the end of the world to you people? Koala Kong carries around a chunk of the bloody stage which is larger and easier to use to stop projectiles than Sakuya’s bell and we don’t see anyone bringing that up.

The other complaint usually leveled against the set is that it’s “boring” past the specials. Okay first of all generally if you use flashier stuff to combo it generally makes the set more and more overly powerful. You guys are already saying Sakuya is OP, if the rest of the set went out of its way to be “creative” she’d become nigh unbeatable and infinites would be far too easy to come by, taking out a lot of the skill in playing her. And really, I thought we were past the point where individual moves have to be flashy for a set to be good. If it works into a set in a cool way, who cares if the move on it’s own is bland, and in Sakuya’s case not only do they succeed at the former, her moveset is incredibly practical and not one where your inputs don’t serve as attacks outside the specials. Are there flaws in the set I think are entirely legitimate? Yes. Is there some merit in these complaints in spite of my defense? Arguably, but the set still stands as a highly unique and versatile work that deserves a high spot on anyone’s vote list.

Big Mac

Banned via Warnings

Reynolds is pretty much the trap character to end all trap characters. There are plenty of sets with tons of ways to manipulate a handful of traps and even more sets that have oodles and oodles of them, but there are an exceedingly rare amount of sets that both have many traps while still having enough inputs left over to manipulate them. Not wanting to fill up and waste inputs with nothing but placing traps, Reynolds condenses most of his trap placings into a single move, leaving plenty of meat for him to manipulate them later. You might think it’d be an approach similar to Manfred Von Karma, where it’s a set that gets it all out of the way so it can actually attack, but Reynolds take it a step further by having his moves be practical attacks while simultaneously being elaborate and unique ways to manipulate his traps. This is most prominently displayed in his tilts, which all summon a minion, but also have the minion immediately do an attack next to Reynolds as they’re summoned.

The possibilities with this are just about endless, particularly with the mindgame potential (He can even swap the methods of triggering his traps) involved. Reynolds can always keep doing things to make his set-up more and more insanely elaborate, without it simply being “spawn more minions” or something along those lines. Similar to Ratigan, Reynolds makes use of the background plane to place even more traps, but what he places in the background is actually constructs to place traps on that reach into the main plane, which can be further moved and tilted about.

The character too is an excellent match for Smash Daddy’s movesetting style, as these otherworldly machinations he brings onto the stage synch up superbly with the bizarre nature of Illbleed. The entirety of the game is nothing but a long series of traps set by Reynolds, and it’s recreated directly in this moveset. Somewhere, the entirety of MYM 5 is crying in a ditch.

The Flying Dutchman is a set with a very interesting history, to say the least, and in addition to the controversy surrounding it there is much talk of how the core concept could be used to better effect, even be made into a full genre. Nobody wanted to step up to the plate outside of some rather embarrassingly bad attempts, with the closest thing to a serious one being Fuka with a lukewarm reception at best. Enter H.N. Elly to finally give us a new true definitive representative of this playstyle.

Without her fly, Elly is a very set-up intensive moveset, having to rely on a massive amount of televisions to do pretty much anything outside of playing as a Brawl character. Once somebody is sucked into one of her TVs, though, the stage transitions into one with nearly countless televisions, leaving Elly free to play with her chain reactions as she sees fit. This gives her the ability to play with her full set-up a lot more often and freely than most other sets, increasing the –fun- factor of the moveset by a good margin.

Of course, the moveset still has some play outside of the “fly” too, where you can rely on your minions moving TVs around more-so than making a massive amount of televisions. The minions hardly feel as such in this moveset, considering how much control you have over them with your aerials, and are more of an extension of Elly’s will as disjointed hitboxes. It’s still quite a functional and competent set even with the fly removed, and would work fine with a tad bit of number crunching.

Nicholas1024 is known for his tendency to let down otherwise good sets with filler, most prominently in Master Hand. Bubbleman is a set where he largely sticks it through the whole way, though, and based off both the quality and tagline of Sandman is probably the best Nick set we’re going to get for a good while. Unlike his other sets this contest, Nick is actually quite proud of this moveset, wanting to post it prominently as the first set of the contest.

While Nick’s never been one to make his non filler be particularly In-Smash or practical, this moveset is amongst his more functional due to the abundance of defensive tools and automatic set-up with the bubble spawner giving him a constant barrage of projectiles. More melee attacks would find themselves rarely being used in such a set, as Bubbleman tries to use larger bubbles to inhibit approaches and envelop his enemies. He combines the more standard stage construction genre with trapping, as he sets things up inside of bubbles before bringing the enemy inside.

Despite how much he has on the stage at once, all his work is actually quite easy to destroy, the constructs having very low HP outside of the usmash wall. This is rectified by the ability to place Fish Missiles inside of bubbles, though, punishing enemies for destroying bubbles, essentially enabling you to throw in a few “invulnerable” ones in a fleet of 1 HP bubbles. With cover like this, it’s pretty easy to land a grab as you combine the countless crappy bubbles into a single giant one, then rotate it around with dashing attack to prevent the enemy from bursting out through any particular spot.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Here, have my 2,000th post, ad recipients :cool:

COLD ENCHANTER by FrozenRoy

FRoy’s first set of this contest stands up surprisingly well at its end, largely due to its intriguing ammo-based mechanic. His best options lie behind casting them out, both onto the stage and into opponents. In the former scenario, the Cold One is free to bring up towering walls of ice, sending up grounded icicle projectiles from behind or forcing foes to travel to either side of it with a massive blizzard. This is, of course, if he hasn’t bogged them down with crystals so that they’re stuck on one portion of stage, ripe for targeting. Unorthodoxly, he can also direct the crystals into his own body, buffing his own strength at the expense of his speed and a bit of health. Control over his own statistics lies in his hands, but must be moderated carefully throughout matches, considering too much self-damage puts him at risk from opponents, who may use his set-up against him. By no means is Cold Enchanter FRoy’s best set of the contest, but his successfully-refreshing take on versatility merits at least a middling place on the average ballot.

QUEEN WORM by Big Mac and SmashDaddy

Perhaps the reason Queen Worm reigns high above most of the contest’s sets is its combination of some of the best tropes of its makers. Queen Worm has the intriguing physical characteristics Warlordian sets and Smadian interactions by the handful, and all blend together to create a monstrosity that milks its tunneling concept for all it’s worth. Digging freely into the stage from above or the side, Queen Worm crafts an intricate ‘ant farm’ of her own liking, before filling it with all manner of vile additions, including flammable oil, sticky acid, and even her own worm minions.

Once a clever design has been made, the Queen starts focusing on pummeling them from the inside, preventing her foes from escaping in the process. Her sheer options for tunnel management come in quite handy here, as she may collapse tunnels freely before patting them back down again, while continuing to drill away to create gimping holes from the inside, making great use of Shield Specials. Detonating her gas canister inside an oil-filled portion of tunnel, devouring oil herself to suicide KO with a victim, and gimping opponents from the side of the stage while towering above to ensure their doom makes for superb icing on this cake. I have heard Worm labeled as overrated for being shallow, but quite the opposite is true. Her centerpiece is manipulated excellently and thoroughly with her additional bits and pieces, remaining fresh throughout its entirety.

JARAD by ForwardArrow

Having had the honor of previewing FA’s final set of the contest, I’ve been excited about this set for longer than most. Jarad takes an incredibly difficult concept in customizing minions on the fly and executes it to near perfection, following in Ameno’s footprints in doing so. His minions are each designed to perfection, complimenting each other nicely to give Jarad full reign over his surroundings. His beetles are his main source for appendages, which he can transplant onto other minions to suit his fancy. Meanwhile, his worm serves as a more mobile minion, weaving in and out of the stage while allowing Jarad to drag opponents and parts around freely. Most gruesomely, the locusts Jarad grows from his victim during grab-game provide wings, giving his minions the additional depth of aerial prowess.

Beyond minions, Jarad intends to plague his victims with as many spores as possible, whether through directing them around the stage or having his minions strategically release them, so as to increase his opponents’ vulnerability to his own attacks. You see, as extensively as Jarad can control opponents and minions through stage constructs such as healing mushrooms and grabbing roots, among others, he’s a fairly lousy fighter on his own. Thus, it’s his duty to rack an absurdly high amount of damage on characters using all he has before ultimately finishing them off. Coming complete with a great boss set, Jarad is the cherry on top of an excellent contest for FA, and, ideally, the perfect set to finally net him his long sought-after win.

FrozenRoy

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-1325-2408-7513

> Reader: Peruse Rose Lalonde Moveset​

You move your mouse over the MOVESET, click and begin reading.

Your eyes are instantly greated with a crisp HEADER. You take a moment to appreciate the introduction before moving on to the main part. Your expectations slightly raised from this start, you begin with trepidation the statistical analysis.

Your hesitance vanishes as you become engrossed into the careful writing detail through the beginning, carefully plotted words of choice that make your brain ache for the excellent characterization present as you make your way through the moves, your mind wandering into the realms of immersion.

> Reader: Imagine​

Soon you are in a mental state of strife and battle. The attacks of crazed soldiers, undead lords and lizards fling through the air as you scurry for safety and cover. But through it all your eyes and mind wander to what you had just been reading, as a blast of eldritch match sends the lizard flying.

You are caught in the entrancement of a symphony of destruction, a melody of madness as her needles slice through the air with keen precision, thread entrapping foes with ease never expected from something so seemingly simple to snap, backed by powerful and dark majyyk and...perhaps...even a little bit of luck. Every movement flows with precise planning, delicate care of an expert tactician who expertly utilizes every tool in their arsenal. Slowly she builds to a wild crescendo, strongly tensile thread encases the soldier and cuts him down, needles rip the revived forces of the black lord with force far beyond the girl's unboosted physical ability. The lizard is lightly kicked. And soon, all are sacrificed to the Furthest Ring, entangled by tentacles and devoured. Congratulations are spoke, her eldritch tongue incomprehendable to your mortal ears, the beast retreats for the moment.

And then her gaze turns to you, her expression as incomprehendible as her voice.

> Reader: Retrieve arms from undead lord.​

He never stole them, you fool!

It looks like she might, though. She saunters towards you, you retreat with fright, her twin needles writhing and pulsating with unfathomable power as she approaches you. There is no escape as she presses a single needle to your temple, uttering a line too faintly for your ears to pick up.

> Reader: Return to reality​

Your mind jumps back to reality from it's state of daydreaming with a start, scrolling down as you finish the last of the post. Your mouth curls into a smile as you consider the endless possibilities before you, the vast web of creation within, the seemless threading of simple melee with dastardly magic, with simple creation and devastating destruction, the hints of luck intermingled with the higher powers of form, function and flow almost omnipresent.

You have greatly enjoyed ROSE LALONDE. You merely hope others shall as well.

Davidreamcatcha

Smash Ace
Ah. Thank you for clarifying that.

My name is Walter White.​
I want to strongly suggest that you vote Aquaman for winner of MYM13's Top 50.​
It has come to my attention that some of you have been...persuaded, perhaps, to vote competing inferior movesets by...a "friend" of mine.​
This is an issue that shall be dealt with at a later time.​
Don't make the same mistake he did.​
Vote Aquaman for MYM13 winner.​
Dipping sticks.​

Top Bottom