• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MAGE Gaming Biweeklies - Next Date TBD

LLDL

Smash Hero
MAGE Gaming Biweeklies

Game:
Super Smash Brothers Melee

Date:
TBD

114 East 31st St
New York, NY 10016

(East 31st Street and Park Ave)

Entry Fees:
Venue: $5.00 per person
Singles: $10.00 per player
Doubles: $10.00 per team ($5.00 per player)

Please help bring setups!
Venue fee will be waived for the following
  • Those who bring 2-3 new people to a tournament
  • Those who bring a TV to the tournament
  • If you are carpooling with 4-5 people.

Prize Payouts:
1st place: 60%
2nd place: 30%
3rd place: 10%

Rules:

Singles Stage List

Starters/Neutrals:

• Yoshi’s Story
  • Fountain of Dreams
  • Battlefield
  • Final Destination
  • Dream Land

Counterpick:

• Pokemon Stadium

Doubles Stage List

Starters/Neutrals:

• Yoshi’s Story
  • Pokemon Stadium
  • Battlefield
  • Final Destination
  • Dream Land

Counterpick:

DK 64

General Rules

Items are set to off.
Stock and Time are set to 4 stock and 8 minutes, respectively.
Wobbling is banned.
Double Blind*: If elected.
Contest Port Priority*: If elected.
Neutral Start*: If elected.
DSR will be used*
Gentleman’s Clause*
Forced Character Selection*: Off
Matches that time out will be determined by the remaining number of lives, then percentage of the current stock. In the event of a percentage tie, the match should be replayed in full. Sudden Death is not to be played, and will not count.

Additional Rules for Teams Play

Team Attack: ON.
Life Stealing is allowed.
If the game is paused accidentally while attempting to steal a life, the opposing team may deem that life forfeit. Wait until the announcer has finished saying defeated before pressing start, or turn pause off prior to beginning the match.

How to Play a Set

Players select their characters. Either player may elect to Double Blind.
Use Stage Striking* to determine the first stage.
The players play the first match of the set.
Prior to starting this match, either player may elect to Contest Port Priority or Neutral Start.Note: Only one of these two may be used, as both have a built in Port Selection mechanism using RPS. If there is a situation where a player would like to change which option they elected after playing the game of RPS, it is the opponent’s choice to allow it. The results from the previously played game of RPS will carry over.
Winning player of the preceding match bans a stage/stages (if applicable).
For Best of 3 sets, each player gets 1 stage ban.
For Best of 5 sets, there are no stage bans.
The losing player of the preceding match picks a stage for the next match.
The winning player of the preceding match may choose to change characters.
The losing player of the preceding match may choose to change characters.
The losing player of the preceding match gets first pick of port. Either player may elect for a
Neutral Start, but RPS will not be played to determine first pick.
The next match is played.
Repeat Steps 4 through 9 for all subsequent matches until the set is complete.

Term Definitions

Double Blind: Either player may request that a double blind selection occur. In this situation, a 3rd party should be told, in secret, each of player’s choices for the first round. Both players are to then select their first round character, with the 3rd party validating that the character selected is the same as their word.
Contest Port Priority: If an agreement cannot be made as to who gets what port, the players may enact a best of 1 game of Rock Paper Scissors. Winner gets their port selection, loser selects any other port.
Neutral Start: Either player may enact this rule. Once enacted, both players may only use one of the two “Neutral Starting Positions”. A best of one game of Rock Paper Scissors may be used to determine who gets the higher port. If one player elects to Contest Port Priority and the other elects to Neutral Start, Neutral Start takes priority.

Singles:
Stage Port 1 Port 2 Port 3 Port 4
FD * *
FoD * *
YS * *
DL * *
BF * *
PS * *

Doubles:
Stage Port 1 Port 2 Port 3 Port 4
FD Team A Team B Team A Team B
PS Team A Team B Team B Team A
BF Team A Team B Team B Team A
YS Team A Team B Team B Team A
DL Team A Team B Team B Team A
DSR: A player/team may not counterpick to the stage they last won on.
Gentleman’s Clause: Any stage may be played on if both players agree to it. This rule takes priority over DSR.
Forced Character Selection: The losing player once had the option to select Random Stage as their counterpick and remove the option to change characters from the winner of the previous round. This is no longer legal. If a player wishes to select Random Stage as their counterpick, the winner of the previous round may choose to change their character.
Stage Striking: Players eliminate stages from the Starter/Neutral list until there is one stage remaining.
Players strike stages in this order:

Strike Player 1 Player 2
Strike 1 *
Strike 2 *
Strike 3 *
Strike 4 *

Past Tournament Results

Biweekly # 1 - 6/10/2012 - http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=323625
Biweekly # 2 - 7/28/2012 - http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=325872

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
i'll be hosting these for the most part but my major goal will be to give others a place to play. Please bring setups and help the community grow. We cannot do this alone. NYC should be a great place.

Thanks to Mike Haze + OTG We will offer the following discounts

Venue fee will be waived for the following

- Those who bring 2-3 new people to a tournament
- Those who bring a TV to the tournament
- If you are carpooling with 4-5 people.

Please support us as we are supporting you!

Plus Eyes

Smash Rookie
I live in NJ not to far from Manhattan and my friends and I were wondering if we have to RSVP for this or can we just show up?

it's been a while since the last tournament i've been to (gauntlet reboot, hosted by wes?), but hopefully i'll make it to this one and have some fun/make a $10 (maybe $20) donation to the good players :p

thanks for hosting stuff in manhattan!

Hax

Smash Champion
in there

been a while since i played this ****. can't wait

@The Great Gonzales: pretty close i think; take the S or 7 to grand central from times square 42nd street, then the 4 or 6 to 33rd street. the venues about 1 block away.

use google, it's your friend :p

JU4N

Smash Apprentice
Hey,

I'm taking a megabus into the city for this, but it doesn't arrive until 1:15 P.M. I'm hoping this will still allow for me to enter the tournament.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
yea..you got to meet new people, see how you do, have fun...there are PLENTY of reasons :D

killazys

Smash Cadet
OK I'm in :p when's it start and estimated to end? I'll bring a cube+game if needed

Ryobeat

Smash Ace
Good tourney, Alex, i got 13th :D which i thinking i didnt do so bad, and i ALMOST beat Jman :D....but i almost beat his falco XD got 1 stocked. His fox 3stocked me. I have to learn to not approach so much, and learn how to deal with other people camping. :p Anyways, good games to all.

Top Bottom