• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Madison WI Smashfests!

Well, I thought Sam said we could get a room free at the union. So, there is really no need for a venue fee at all. The rest goes into parking and entry fee for pot. Even if you park for 12 hours, that's 15 dollars parking. Split between 5 people per vehicle and it's only 3 dollars for parking per person. I do not think that's really discouraging.

LightsOutAce

Smash Ace
There is a small parking lot by Memorial Union, and a parking ramp by the University Bookstore, but the bad news is we're not allowed to bring TV's into the Pyle Center. I'm going to call Carson's tomorrow and see if I can rent the upstairs. It would be perfect since there's a huge, free parking lot right by it.

Also, 4507 Liz at 3:30 tomorrow (I have class from 2:25-3:15). I have to work Wednesday at 3:30, so unfortunately I am only going to be open for Smash from 12:30-3:15.

We have a space for Thursday, but the "Today In The Union" won't be posted until Thursday. I'll post it here when I check Thursday morn.

We can also further and more easily discuss the way forward tomorrow.

LightsOutAce

Smash Ace
I'm beginning to realize it's less about doing the perfect thing in every situation and more about tricking your opponent.

MINDGAMEZZ

sanchaz

Smash Lord
I'm beginning to realize it's less about doing the perfect thing in every situation and more about tricking your opponent.

MINDGAMEZZ
lmao, thats my style, and in your case, just against spacies, try to avoid getting ***** by cc, especially the falco one. and yeah mind games are cool

LightsOutAce

Smash Ace
I just found out they post the "Today in the Unions" a week ahead of time. We're in the Board Room on the third floor East side. If you come in by the ice cream shop and go up the stairs right there for 2 floors it's on your right. If you need help finding it, call me.

The other TAS video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5AkW5gD-CE

It's the best one imo, the Pichu one has THAT EDGEGUARD though.

My favorite smash vid is I Killed Mufasa II, but these are also good:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frl6IfNbPVg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeBrMzQJKb8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMVu9nrwQoo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlZ85p5yyxY

sanchaz

Smash Lord
oh, they won't be made until like thursday or friday, they'll be at like humanities, helen c white, those street poles, whereever the sheet says its legal, and I suppose if we want technical players, I could put some in the engineering building.

A little confused still. We have meeting this week, or do we have to wait until next week. Also, how are we going to solve the TV issue? We need probably at least 2-3 TVs for now.
We already have the most technical cereal in Wisconsin. How many peeps do you think we can recruit?
Uhh... Exarch made a good point a long time ago. The number of people willing to play the game on campus is probably high. Almost everyone has played the game and is willing to play it for fun. But, so many people fall short when it comes to compeitition. I lost track of how many times people complained about "Who plays with team attack on?!" or "Can we turn items on?".

There will probably be a large number bent on playing for fun. If they cannot get any fun out of it they will likely not come back. Fewer will be interested in learning some more advance mechanics and try to learn it, thus sticking with us.

It helps that we have a good degree of talent now. At least, having played Sink, Mundunguu, Quaz, Sanchaz, Ace, Elbow, Knee, Tomo, Froot Loop, Vino, and John.

Sanchaz, send me a few of those flyers the next we meet or email me the design so I can print it out. I can try to get some places put up over in deep lakeshore.

sanchaz

Smash Lord
A little confused still. We have meeting this week, or do we have to wait until next week. Also, how are we going to solve the TV issue? We need probably at least 2-3 TVs for now.

Uhh... Exarch made a good point a long time ago. The number of people willing to play the game on campus is probably high. Almost everyone has played the game and is willing to play it for fun. But, so many people fall short when it comes to compeitition. I lost track of how many times people complained about "Who plays with team attack on?!" or "Can we turn items on?".

There will probably be a large number bent on playing for fun. If they cannot get any fun out of it they will likely not come back. Fewer will be interested in learning some more advance mechanics and try to learn it, thus sticking with us.

It helps that we have a good degree of talent now. At least, having played Sink, Mundunguu, Quaz, Sanchaz, Ace, Elbow, Knee, Tomo, Froot Loop, Vino, and John.

Sanchaz, send me a few of those flyers the next we meet or email me the design so I can print it out. I can try to get some places put up over in deep lakeshore.
k, flyers after stupid paper, urgh. but you make a very good point, should this organization be about casual players, or serious players, or both? all I wanted from this was two things, a venue for smash fests/ tournamnets, and maybe recruit that one really good player.

For example I picked up the game seriously little more then a year ago and came to getting top 5 in team tournaments consintenly, I wouldn't of known about this smash organization if I haven't seen vino trolling with falco in the dorms.

I guess fruit loop has the same/similar story, and I believe if I faced him in a tournament again, I will lose.

I would like to find someone that can enjoy the game at a high level of play, even if they start with no tech skill/no mind games, the drive is all need, and once that happens, all it take is time, and I actually like someone learning/adapting to my style of play, countering it, then beating me.

That reminds me why I played this game, heh. I don't played to win, I play to lose, it gives me motivation to adapt, learn, and challenges me to be victorious. :cool:

btw who the hell uses blue text, lol

LightsOutAce

Smash Ace
We have several setups: mine, Frank's, Ryan's(?), and someone can bring a TV for yours (volunteers?). I see no problem with having a casual setup or two for new players, and when they see us being awesome a few might want to become competitive apprentices like Ashes (although Knee would be a sweet teams partner for Elbow) and Elbow.

As far as recruiting that one really good player, Froot Loop is the next Mango.

If the drive to get better is all it takes, why do I still suck? I've been playing for 6 months and I still get wrecked by Ryan, John, and Frank.

The Board Room for the meeting THIS THURSDAY has room for about 14 people comfortably.

And to repeat, I have work at 3:30 tomorrow (Wednesday), so I'll only be open from 12:30-3:15.

I like parenthetical phrases.

Sanchaz, I use blue text. :(
If the drive to get better is all it takes, why do I still suck? I've been playing for 6 months and I still get wrecked by Ryan, John, and Frank.
I think Ryan uses rather simple strats like trying to stay out of range and waiting for a chance to hit you. After that he goes for really simple combos into edgeguards.

Frank has the tech skill needed to combo you really well and survive. Additionally, he has played everyone so much that he has adapted to everyone's play style and can bait everyone fairly well.

I have no idea about john. I only played him once like months ago when I was first starting out, and only played him recently this monday in teams.

Sam, I think you might just need to play everyone more. You missed out on a lot of the smashfests in earlier in the year and have had less exposure to other players.

I john about my skill on practically never playing melee before in my life lol

Tomotoya

Smash Apprentice
Same here man. I just don't put in enough effort. :(

@ Crystal
Thanks for the shoutout, even though I've never played you. :)

john!

Smash Hero
you're getting better, sam. a few months ago i was able to rampage you with bad characters, yesterday you beat my falcon. seriously, all it is is getting more experience.

Crystal is (somehow) Erik, so you guys actually have played a game or two.
Ok, I think I will just list all the different names I used at various points in life.

Xeylode, Yamitsuki, Eryth, Velox, Crystal, Farina, Zaquake and Erik. (And a few others I forgot) But just keep using my first name.

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
Ok, I think I will just list all the different names I used at various points in life.

Xeylode, Yamitsuki, Eryth, Velox, Crystal, Farina, Zaquake and Erik. (And a few others I forgot) But just keep using my first name.
i have seriously never heard of any of these lol. do you really have all those posts or did you jack an OoR account? lol. but ya madison needs a tourney so i can learn who da heck all these people are haha

LightsOutAce

Smash Ace
I'm Sam and I played some friendlies with you at the tournament in Minnesota in August. I freaked out over Doc's dtilt and was with Tomotoya, who went to your house at some point last summer to play.

john!

Smash Hero
is their a curve, do I get a BC? I showed critical thinking skills
keep using "your" and "their" wrong and imma kick you out of my school son!

also remember when i said that my new pokemon teams wouldn't use baton pass? i lied.

that move is 2gud. my new team is a stall oriented baton pass team. speed boost and ingrain are passed to tanks that boost defense and wear the opponent out with status effects (mostly toxic) and heals/immunities. so far i've had 4 victories (all ragequits LOL i'm such a douche) and one loss, to another ninjask that was faster than mine for some reason

damn you kids and your pokemon...

the game is too time consuming for me.

I got black and have only gotten 1 badge so far
lol You download a pkmn battle simulator thing (pokemon-online, shoddybattle) and you can make a team in like 5 minutes. No need for the actual game.

Top Bottom