• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Madison WI Smashfests!

sanchaz

Smash Lord
omfg, challenger approaching. fruit loop, your going to get wrecked :DDDDDDD. and whats this arkfest, lol

wiscompton

Smash Rookie
unfortunatey it'll take a local player vs me....or a few local people....i'm willing to drive miles to find good play. (lol) anyone down? i'm madison area

edit: ****....double post

sanchaz

Smash Lord
unfortunatey it'll take a local player vs me....or a few local people....i'm willing to drive miles to find good play. (lol) anyone down? i'm madison area

edit: ****....double post
my number is 414-544-1401

There are 7-8 smashers on uw madison campus, and many others, lol. Lots of other people like this game, well...which game are you talking about (64, melee, brawl, Project M)? Are you a student at UW? Who do you play as?

Many other people on campus will be willing to play to.

LightsOutAce

Smash Ace
7-8 smashers on campus? Me, sanchez, john, frank, eric, frank's friend (David, I think), my friend matt
(tomo)? Who else is there?

Sanchez: Do we have enough people to become a campus org and get a venue for a tournament?

Culver's=FrootLoop from now on?

FrootLoop

Smash Lord
You forgot vino.

You only need 4 UW students for an org I believe, haven't talked to sanchaz about it in like a week though.

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
Y'all really need to get the student org going.

Ok to those in the car I was talking about a guilty gear character who works a lot based off traps, (like how snake kinda does in project m now.) The character is Testament, and I found a video of a good testament, at least as far as I can tell. The traps to watch for are a Red Netting which can appear anywhere and a Tree that rises from the ground. The dark thing which chomps forward or backward on the ground I think belongs to Eddie, but I might not be remembering correctly. I remember testament has 3 common traps he uses, so that chomp thing might be his. Eddie is the best character in the game, and I think you'll be able to tell he's an amazing pressure character.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTHvKS1xnRo

If you're looking for a sick rushdown character, look up any video with Venom in it. Sometimes I'm glad all we have is Diddy/Falco...

Oro?!

Smash Hero
Venom isn't your stereotypical rush down character though. The fact that he can is just proof of his tier palcement, and the brokenness of pool balls when your execution is ******** good.

Imo ABA is a much better example of a rush down, seeing as when she is in Mahora mode, she has probably the best block strings/pressure/she can cause barrier break. She also has an unblockable mixup. Slayer also has just as crazy of block strings, but due to his speed limitations, he is more likely to win with his good pokes and like 1 combo that does 60% health bar per match.

Playing a good Eddie makes so many fighting game characters that are thought to be broken look tame.

Testament is ********.

Yamitsuki

Smash Cadet
Hold your horses people. The smash org is in the works. Ryan is really busy at the moment and I held up the process for somehow not being a full time student.

Also, if we end up doing project M or brawl this thursday like it sounded like exarch wanted to try a little bit of for a change of pace, I can get any replays saved and uploaded since YoshQ has a little video service going on right now. As if anyone who plays melee cares if their brawl/projectM matches are saved lol

I really want to play guilty gear, but I cannot get ahold of the damn game amazon here I come.

~Xey

exarch

doot doot doot
Oro, I know next to nothing about GG, and don't pretend that I know more, so hopefully people aren't taking my words as exactly accurate. I'd also love to pick the game up (since it's like balanced and demands many inputs from what I've heard,) but also haven't been able to procure a copy.

Anyways, about P:M, I actually found I already had an SD-USB converter, as well as two 32 MB SD cards (when I was given a camera for my bday/xmas whatever it was I got several extra things I thought were kinda pointless lol.)

So I downloaded P:M on both SD cards, and will confirm they work tonight and troubleshoot until thurs if not. If someone else brings a wii + brawl to the fest this thursday we could have as many as 3 project m setups. But if not we should have 2, and we should bring another TV this time around so we can have 3 setups.

I think that means Frank's TV and setup, which means someone else should bring their AV cord... volunteers?

Also Erik, Project M has kinda satisfied my thirst for another game/new characters for now, so probably no Brawl this week again, lol unfortunate timing for you.

Oro?!

Smash Hero
It's very fun, very hard, very fast, very balanced. I don't discourage playing it at all. Was just pointing out that it is very hard to balance 2 competitive games(pretty sure that isn't the goal here), especially when they are as hard as Melee and GG.:)

Mundungu

Smash Lord
Melee's actually pretty easy to maintain, meaning if you stop playing, you don't really get much worse. It's probably really difficult to improve in two games at once though.

Yamitsuki

Smash Cadet
Oro, I know next to nothing about GG, and don't pretend that I know more, so hopefully people aren't taking my words as exactly accurate. I'd also love to pick the game up (since it's like balanced and demands many inputs from what I've heard,) but also haven't been able to procure a copy.

Anyways, about P:M, I actually found I already had an SD-USB converter, as well as two 32 MB SD cards (when I was given a camera for my bday/xmas whatever it was I got several extra things I thought were kinda pointless lol.)

So I downloaded P:M on both SD cards, and will confirm they work tonight and troubleshoot until thurs if not. If someone else brings a wii + brawl to the fest this thursday we could have as many as 3 project m setups. But if not we should have 2, and we should bring another TV this time around so we can have 3 setups.

I think that means Frank's TV and setup, which means someone else should bring their AV cord... volunteers?

Also Erik, Project M has kinda satisfied my thirst for another game/new characters for now, so probably no Brawl this week again, lol unfortunate timing for you.
I am still looking at gamestop every so often. Apprently guilty gear game is like 10 dollars or less now lol Hmm... I think I will order it on amazon. Actually purchase stuff online for cheap for a change.

I do not think 32 MB is enough. I downloaded the smashstack hack method of loading Project M and I have it listed as 139MB. Well, if it does not work out, I have two SD cards. Mostly since I wanted to keep brawl/PM hacks seperate to save time on data transfer. Loading constantly between 200MB-300MB on my laptop is a pain. Anyway, with your wii and my wii we can get two games of project M going for sure. I can bring an extra AV cord for gamecube.

You guys kill the fun I get out of smash anyway lol

Also, if anyone has any music preferences for a stage to try out, make it known now.

Melee's actually pretty easy to maintain, meaning if you stop playing, you don't really get much worse. It's probably really difficult to improve in two games at once though.
Do not play for a few years. I guarantee everything will be funky when you return for the first few hours.
It's very fun, very hard, very fast, very balanced. I don't discourage playing it at all. Was just pointing out that it is very hard to balance 2 competitive games(pretty sure that isn't the goal here), especially when they are as hard as Melee and GG.:)
Not that hard to maintain dual anything. THe difference is in how quickly you master things.

sanchaz

Smash Lord
who's going to win pound 5?

I'll bet hungrybox doesn't even get top 5, :D

exarch

doot doot doot
hungrybox da bess!

Project M is working, I had to use my 2.0 card I usually keep in my camera, the 32 megs aren't working. So I only have an SD card for my Wii.

This week I'll be at chadbourne around 5:30 to pick people up again.

Also not playing for two years and things feeling weird for a couple hours is pretty good maintenance. Snake is awesome.

sanchaz

Smash Lord
what r u guys smokin?!?!?!?! mango is going to get trashed, pee pee is going to wreck, m2k will beat armarda and amsah is going to wreck to. and lol, I can ony hope silentspectre....

LightsOutAce

Smash Ace
I don't think PeePee will beat Armada; Armada wrecked Mango's Falco, and Mango's Falco is the best one still imo.

And I'm pretty sure Mango said he's going to try at this tournament, and if he does, he wins.

exarch

doot doot doot
*Hates Mango fanboyism*

Erik, if you want to return before 4/5 am, just ride back with Matt when he leaves around 10. I'm pretty sure he's planning on coming tomorrow anyway.

I had this realization last night that ZSS is going to be in Project M. Can you imagine her combos? Then I got super hyped that Ike was gonna be there too. So as much as I am dreading MK/DDD/Olimar/Diddy, others are going to more than make up for it.

sanchaz

Smash Lord
*Hates Mango fanboyism*

Erik, if you want to return before 4/5 am, just ride back with Matt when he leaves around 10. I'm pretty sure he's planning on coming tomorrow anyway.

I had this realization last night that ZSS is going to be in Project M. Can you imagine her combos? Then I got super hyped that Ike was gonna be there too. So as much as I am dreading MK/DDD/Olimar/Diddy, others are going to more than make up for it.
as soon as you said zss, I started day dreaming for like 10 minutes, then continued reading the rest of your comment.

LightsOutAce

Smash Ace
Are Chairzard, Ivysofa, and Squirtstool all going to be their own characters, or will you have to switch between like in Brawl? Or will it be an option like Zelda/Sheik?

Yamitsuki

Smash Cadet
They will certainly seperate the three I assume. It is possible as Sago said. The only thing I am worried about is that fatigue system. After 2 minutes of continued play without switching, the pokemon becomes fatigued and will do like 50% less damage and like 75% of knockback. I am not sure if anyone figured out how to prevent that from happening yet.

Quaz

Smash Master
they did that for brawl +/- so I dont think it'll be a problem for this

I honestly do think that if you have pick pokemon trainer itself they SHOULD have the fatique system to make it more balanced.

Yamitsuki

Smash Cadet
Well, I am not really sure if that system would make a difference anyway. When you look at shiek to transformation to zelda, shiek is better in virtually anyway. The same could be the same for pokemon trainer. Why switch to a worse match-up when you can stay a single pokemon the whole match that has the best advantage. I think that system would only hurt the pokemon trainer in the end as it has in brawl.

Maybe Project M will actually make it more balanced so that for a single match-up two pokemon could do equally well, and having the option to change might be benefical.

Physics done, now onto many readings!

sanchaz

Smash Lord
grand finals in project m: a 37 year old bounty hunter facing a huge fire pokemon, man vs pokemon, muscles vs fire blast, place your bets, :D

Top Bottom