• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luigi's Mansion dtilt lock setups

heytallman

CTALL
It's been said before that Luigi's Mansion is a good counterpick stage for Lucas. What I like about the stage is how long his Dsmash stays out on the pillars. However, Lucas can set up dtilt locks with several different moves here. This may be common knowledge, but I haven't really seen it posted here before.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQs6L20QRqQ

As the video explains, Lucas has several options for setting up a tilt lock here. In my opinion, the best of these is downthrow. When not DI'd, you can lock your opponent simply, by walking briefly away from them, then simply turning around and dtilting. What makes this a better option than moves like upthrow, for example, is that even when DI'd, if you predict your opponent correctly, you can still lock them.

Uptilt is another good option for setting up a lock. This does not work at very low percents, but works great otherwise.

Upthrow and dash attack are not very viable, as a DI'd upthrow is impossible to lock from, and dash attack is simply a crappy move.

Also, as mentioned in the video, the pillars seem to mess up the lock a bit. From practicing, this seems to work as long as your opponent is on the same side of the pillar as you. But if you take them too far over, the pillar can mess with your fsmash (as seen in my video). It seems like generally a good idea to try to do this towards the center of the stage when they are not at killing percents, and towards the pillar if you can kill them quickly.

Also, on a lesser note, these setups also work on the Melee stage Yoshi's Island (the one with the pipes). However, this is probably not legal in a lot of places, and is rarely seen in places where it is legal.

Well, there you go, something that's probably quite useless, but still fun to know. Happy locking!

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
If the pillars are getting in the way of your Fsmash, couldn't you just allow them to get up after your last Dtilt and run past and Usmash? If the lag from the pillar makes it not work for some reason you could always pivot grab or something too.

heytallman

CTALL
If the pillars are getting in the way of your Fsmash, couldn't you just allow them to get up after your last Dtilt and run past and Usmash? If the lag from the pillar makes it not work for some reason you could always pivot grab or something too.
Well wouldn't he just roll away instead of just standing up?

Irsic

Smash Ace
I've been thinking about this for a while, and I think having someone behind you when you utilt can send them to land right in front of you, leading to a dtilt lock.

*goes and tests*

And no, when hit with a dtilt while laying down, they are forced to stand up. They have no options. It's like the Ice Climbers ice block lock.

Irsic

Smash Ace
From what I've tested so far, dtilt locks from utilt can happen as early as 30% (on Marth)

Also, dtilt locking from the pillars isn't screwed up if you use dsmash instead of fsmash, htm.

And incase anyone is wondering for some random reason, the house only stays dead for 21 seconds.

Top Bottom