• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luigi's Fireballs,ever us them?

MetalLuigi1209

Smash Ace
Hey guys, I have searched Luigi and fireballs, and I didn't see a topic like this, so I posted it. Do professional Luigi users ever use his fireballs, and if so, when? I try to use them sometimes, but usually get counterattacked.

EMOMONEY

Smash Apprentice
(ppa0 on Emo$ account) id say professionally prolly not really, but once in a while when you play fox or falco and you know they are gonna mess up because they forgot to sweet spot the edge, you can put 1 in there, and usually they are gonna try to up+B as fast as they can, and right there you can just jump off the stage and hit em wif an aerial, but most good or pro foxes/falcos wont mess up like that to give you the chance to use that, as for ground fireball, don't really know but its kinda slow and laggy so... yeahz... i can upload some vids of that later if ud like to show u some examples,

Micheloxx

Smash Ace
i use fireballs when im playingvs a marth and i rhow him out of the edge. I use it because its harder for them to get to the edge.. I use them with characvters with the same carasteristic but never in a fight..

Obedience

Smash Rookie
I use mine to get in the way, and obstruct the opposition.(Throw them off) Works well.

C 3

Smash Ace
I personally use them while opponents are trying to return to the map as distractions. I use them a bit more mainly on fox/falco/ness, to name a few, who's Up B's are delayed and leave room to be hit. Sometimes i'm lucky enough to use the lead the fireball into a successful edge guard, but you can't really depend on that.

Wayland

Smash Journeyman
Luigi's fireballs are nice when used properly. Only use them when you've got some breathing room. They're not a game-winner like pills or shorthop lasers, but they aren't really bad enough to avoid at all costs.

WeedLuigi

Smash Apprentice
I sometimes wave dash backwards and toss one out for fun, actually keeps opponents off, in some cases they jump over it, or accidentally jump into it , most people just shield it though. If I am fighting a player thats on the attack they mistakenly eat the fireball sometimes:laugh: ...It is best used as a spacing tactic to give Luigi room. Wave dashing backwards prevents painful counterattacks.

LiMe ¤ FuRy

Smash Journeyman
I usually use them as a distraction to get close to the opponent if they have a defensive style of play but thats just my opinion. It can be useful in its own ways u just have to find them out.

VilNess

Smash Champion
Kinda funny, just after one tournament I went to I played some friendlies and noticed that if you shoot a fireball after you hit your enemy (say marth) further, it can be just as devastating as pills. The fireball will either hit him and give a stun and by that time you have already WD.d into his ranged for followup.
Or Marth will have to slash to fireball and you can try to sneak in some attack, Luigi doesn´t have too much problem with that since his range is great!

Yeah, against fox/falco sometimes a fireball works as an edgeguard as described.
also It´s just good to sometimes WD away and fireball. you can´t get punished with that (99% of the time as long as you don´t spam it).

against Peach shorthopball to limit her floatoptions, also if she starts spamming turnips in one place, firballs will win.

When recovering and enemy is farther away you can just shoot a FB and 2nd jump sweetspot, if you aren´t far away.

Fireball is actually pretty good to have around there.

golden_leeroy

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, against fox/falco sometimes a fireball works as an edgeguard as described.
also It´s just good to sometimes WD away and fireball. you can´t get punished with that (99% of the time as long as you don´t spam it).

against Peach shorthopball to limit her floatoptions, also if she starts spamming turnips in one place, firballs will win.

When recovering and enemy is farther away you can just shoot a FB and 2nd jump sweetspot, if you aren´t far away.

I agree, fireballs are a good edgeguard against Fox and Falco.

Unfortunately I don't use fireballs much during matches, sometimes I even forget that I have them!

SgtShock

Smash Rookie
I use Luigi's fireballs when i face my brother, he uses Falcon.. he trys to falcon kick and i just interrupt him with a fireball, also when he uses his uppercut thingy i hit him with a fire ball and it stops his move. the only other time i use the fireball is when hes in the air, like almost knocked out. as hes falling i shot fireballs so he cant concentrate on hitting me with his aerial attacks. hes trying to dodge the fireballs when in reality they are really weak. o well thats how i use em.

Micheloxx

Smash Ace
i thing u gotta use them when someone is in the air out of the field, thats where i use the m because theyll try to dodge them, and thats y i like them, and sometimes its nice to start a combo, i use them a lot.. because my opponents r stune and i have time to WD and grab them, or tilt and cancel their attack

Foom

Smash Cadet
You can use your fireballs as a finisher to some combos. If u finish an ariel combo, then the opponent is to far for you to hit, then you can fast fall a fire ball, so they end up falling on it, then waveland into any attack that you feel neccessary. It can be used to stun your opponent for a little while, or to just give percent.

FastFox

Faster than most vehicles
BRoomer
If I'm not mistaken, I think you can waveland into a fireball, then catch up to it and d-smash or something.

Improvise as you will.

nublet06

Smash Lord
ive just recently started to realize this.

when im playing aagsint marth.....and i hit him with a fireball while he is recovering.....im about 90% positive that he will not make it back.

maybe its just the people i play with or something. but usually i hit marth with the fireball and im like hell yeah get *****......and i usually wavedash off the edge and kick him in the face. gg k thnx.

ill look in to this some more on saturday. XD

C 3

Smash Ace
They're also good for stopping an opponent right in their tracks, which will most likely mess up their mind set on what they were going to do.

G Head

Smash Cadet
use them occasionally just to piss off ur opponent lol...

at times the fireballs can rlly anger someone lol....

sometimes if ur feeling lucky try to fireball and side b and it works rlly well if u misfire

Wolfshade

Smash Rookie
i use fireballs alot since most of the people i play with are more defensive players. They are great provoking instruments and when used correctly, offer a sound distraction in order to WD Dsmash really fast and start a Usmash Fsmash combo into nairs and dairs.
in a few words..... they are my godsend most of the time!

ꓰspeon

Sun Pokemon
Kinda funny, just after one tournament I went to I played some friendlies and noticed that if you shoot a fireball after you hit your enemy (say marth) further, it can be just as devastating as pills. The fireball will either hit him and give a stun and by that time you have already WD.d into his ranged for followup.
Or Marth will have to slash to fireball and you can try to sneak in some attack, Luigi doesn´t have too much problem with that since his range is great!

against Peach shorthopball to limit her float options, also if she starts spamming turnips in one place, firballs will win.

Yeah vilness said pretty much all uses of fireball. Useful for techchasing, initial edgeguarding, great runaway distraction, can be used also like a pill for approach (but only if you're sure your opponent will shield it lol). At least i use it as he described (and it works ;) )

But wtf about fireballs winning turnips? O_O I rarely play Peaches, so I never tried it, nor I thought this was possible. But I definitely have to try sometime :) .

Lixivium

Smash Champion
I think fireballs used to be a bigger part of Luigi's metagame. Remember those old Thunders videos? He used fireballs to challenge turnips and to throw people off during recovery.

Now that people aren't expecting the fireball as much, maybe it's time for a comeback.

Top Bottom