• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luigi QA - RIP Mark Dunstan "Marky-Mark"

nasir123

Smash Ace
Well Luigi is all about tricky movement, combos and spacing. In general, Luigi combos from the air and does all of his horizontal movement on the ground. Wavedashing is much more effective than dashing.

I mean there are books written on general Luigi strategy so I will just cover some of the more important things.

Get to know character weights so you know what combos work. Fox Falco and to some extent falcon are all fast fallers and very comfortable. Floater characters are tougher and you usually looking at two or three move combos.

Edge Guard well. One big thing about edge guarding is that you're goal is to keep them off the stage and off the ledge. Don't worry about killing them. Keep them off stage and they will die eventually. People who go for kills over edge guards, generally do more risky and avoidable attacks.

FTILT is your best friend for range and spacing. How awesome that move is keeps me up at night.

Your kills are going to come from edge guards, and gimps. Luigi doesn't have a knee or other ridiculous kill moves.

Never approach from the air. Luigi's speed comes from wavedashing. Wavedashing is almost always a better choice than dashing.
Note for the nit pickers: Double aerials are not an approach. WD double aerial is.
thanks man like a lot yo i went to a tournement because we have tri weeklies and i got second there wer not too many people there but still i used luigi c. falcon and fox and i got second i sadly only used luiigi for fast fallers sorry but hey those people who used fast fallers i coukd never beat but thanks to your guide i can beat them and i actully 2 stalked them well thanks man i am now going to b playing more luigi !!!!

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
thanks man like a lot yo i went to a tournement because we have tri weeklies and i got second there wer not too many people there but still i used luigi c. falcon and fox and i got second i sadly only used luiigi for fast fallers sorry but hey those people who used fast fallers i coukd never beat but thanks to your guide i can beat them and i actully 2 stalked them well thanks man i am now going to b playing more luigi !!!!
AHHHHH Lack of punctuation reminds me of Velocity's posts.

Yeah, Luigi is very fun to play and his major weaknesses can be overcome so he can compete with the top tiers. Just keep at it.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Luigi has sick combos against a lot of the top tiers anyways.

On a side note -

Pakman, I think I should be a Luigi boards mod with you ;P

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
Luigi has sick combos against a lot of the top tiers anyways.

On a side note -

Pakman, I think I should be a Luigi boards mod with you ;P
I'd be all for it if they needed multiple mods for this board. But for reals, there are like 10 posts a week MAX on the entire Luigi boards.

I have been itching to do some cool Mod stuffs, but the posters on the Luigi Boards post by the rules..... Those jerks.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Pakman I'll help out with a matchup thread if you want. I feel like I need to help out with the Luigi community more <.<

Also D: I liked my black name

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
Pakman I'll help out with a matchup thread if you want. I feel like I need to help out with the Luigi community more <.<

Also D: I liked my black name
Just post whatever in the thread. I will credit you with the information when I put it in the first post.

Wiggins

Smash Ace
Hey, is there any way to cancel out of Weegee's dash attack?

And also Pakman, are you gonna be goin to the Peef on Earth event goin on here in Evansville, Indiana?

If so that'd be sick. Idk if there's any Luigi's showing up or not. And I wanna see an epic Weegee in action. So I thought I'd ask. lol

If you need to know the info, here's the link.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=224954

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
Indiana is a little out of my travel range (excluding Genesis). And once Luigi's dash attack animation is started you can't stop it. If you use it you will probably get shield grabbed. Just get ready to mash and break the grab or crouch cancel a hit.

banyah87

Smash Cadet
Is Luigi's n-air a spike? My friend keeps claiming this, but I'm a little skeptical...

Fletch

Smash Master
What do you think about Luigi's current tier position? I always used him as my low tier and wasn't happy when they moved him up because now I don't play a low tier (although granted he shouldn't have been there in the first place).

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
It doesn't really matter about what position your character is on the tier list anymore. By now, the metagame for every character has evolved so much that it isn't so surprising that Luigi beats a Fox, so you can't brag about winning with a 'low tier'.

And he is in about the right spot, I think.

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
Is Luigi's n-air a spike? My friend keeps claiming this, but I'm a little skeptical...
Luigi's dair has a spike hit box, but I have never seen his nair spike. So no it is not.

What do you think about Luigi's current tier position? I always used him as my low tier and wasn't happy when they moved him up because now I don't play a low tier (although granted he shouldn't have been there in the first place).
Even when he was low tier, he was still 12th or 13th out of 26. Luigi is generally ranked right in the middle. He is way more suited to fight the top tiers then almost all the characters below him on the tier list.

nublet06

Smash Lord
doc is pretty good on luigi.

if luigi recovers, doc is a noob for letting him get back.

and doc has a much better crouch cancel game plus a projectile thats worth something.

wigi has some nasty combos that give him a chance and make it close to even tho imo

nublet06

Smash Lord
sometimes i like to up b the wrong way on purpose so they turn me around with the cape to grab the ledge.

but i wouldnt recommend always doing this because they catch on after like 1 time and they are more observant as to how you recover.

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
I used to play Velocity a lot before he quit. I would eat Crouch Canceled dsmashes, jab down-smashes and caped up bs.

Doc has a decent vs Luigi game just with how much of a jerk he is when Luigi is off stage.

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
pakman how do you deal with jigglypuff?

What are some of the things luigi needs to look out for?
I am not the best against Jigglypuff but I will tell you what I do.

1.) DI away from back airs. If you DI in you get hit with bair-bair-bair-bair right off the side of the stage.

2.) To beat the wall of pain, you need to have pretty good timing and a smooth wavedash. WD out of your shield after blocking a bair and upsmash.

3.) If you grab puff, don't jab, because if they screw up the DI of the downthrow, you can get a fair.

4.) Ftilt a lot.

5.) Up+B kills at like 50 on most stages. Just something to keep in mind if you are losing. I wouldn't suggest making this your normal strategy.

6.) DI rests down so you don't die out the top. You can come back and get a free shoryuken.

Wiggins

Smash Ace
Alright, I gotta another question.

I just recently bought a Gamecube so I can play whenever I feel the urge and to practice.

What's a good way to practice techniques and combos and **** like that whenever I don't have another person to play with and no other controllers to just a have a person sitting there?

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Oooooooh. So many ways to practice.

If you just want to practice tech and stuff, just have a lvl 1 computer. Lets you practice most techs, wavedashing around, etc etc.

Lvl 4 if you want something that's "to some degree" going to actually walk at you and swing at you (you really could do like 4-7(or 8), just dont do 9).

You can, however, use 9 to test if things are theoretically possible to break out of. That's all you'd really want it for.

If you want to practice hitting somebody over and over and l cancelling; put the handicap on, damage ratio to .5. Turn your handicap to 1, cpu to 9. (You actually need a 2nd controller for this or you'll get ***** by the CPU, but actually if you put it on lvl 1, you can do this to practice movement by staying away cause you'll get pissed when you get tapped and die)

Want to practice hitting shield? Starman.
Ledgeteching? Motion Sensor Bombs.

Really you just have to practice doing reps over and over and over. Set a number for something and do it (like you would if you're working out). Suck at wavelanding on the stage? Do 30 reps of it, 2 or 3 sets of it, then do 5/10 reps in a row.

One thing that alot of people tend to do is practice what they're already at. Why? Making it spotless? Ok. Sure, that's fine, but it's really a waste. Practice stuff you cant do. Blow horribly at PTP? Practice it. You might not get it perfect anytime soon, but if you never even try it, forget it.

....*rolls eyes thinking*
Um, that's all I got off the top of my head. You'd have to list more specific stuff you wanted to practice, I might throw some more things up as I think of them.

Mind you this is all the technical aspect of it. You can actually practice the mental by yourself too, but it's harder (especially considering you'd be doing it for luigi, so you dont have too much to look, and then I dont think you can really compare luigi to other characters)

Wiggins

Smash Ace
I tried the motion sensor bomb thing but I couldn't figure out what I was suppose to be doing. Lol. I tried it on Yoshi's Story. Is that a good stage to try it on?

>.>

Airwalkerr

Smash Journeyman
Pakman, I've been facing a very bread and butter Zelda who is too good at shutting down my aerials. I mindgame him and get an openning and usually the win, but I'd still appreciate some professional input. He loves to fair and bair, like all Zelda's, and sadly, his wonderful spacing trumps the fair, and unless I space it impeccably, my bair too. He love's to dair me during my recovery, which sucks because I'm pretty bad at tornado recovery, and pop me up with din's fire into a killing fair when I'm near the stage. How do I trump this fool? I'm hoping for a 2 stock next time I play him.

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
The key to beating zelda is punishing her out of your shield. Her grab sucks so you can shield a lot and be pretty safe with it. Wavedash out of shield when she lands after doing a bair/fair (she can do two in one short hop so be careful) and then grab, smash or f-tilt.

Since Zelda has a bad movement game, you can wavedash around, use platforms and put pressure on her in a sort of hit and run fashion.

When recovering watch out for the dsmash. It will kill you. Other than that, make sure you recover somewhat low so she can't fair you out of your forward B.

When zelda is off stage, it is sort of a guessing game to where she will UP+B to. I usually grab the ledge and assume she is going to UP+B onto the stage and pick a spot and attack.

Smaller stages with platforms are probably your best bet for counterpicks.

Vist

Smash Champion
Man I haven't been on the luigi boards in a while..

pakman are there any decently big melee events coming up other than apex?

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
Man I haven't been on the luigi boards in a while..

pakman are there any decently big melee events coming up other than apex?
There isn't anything decently sized scheduled in tristate after Apex. I think Chibo is planning a Melee event, but I don't know if it will generate any hype. (He should just get the venue and let Scar do PR for it.)

Vist

Smash Champion
Vist! You still keeping up with Melee? too good

We should play
Yeah, I've been playing a bit lately. Now that plank just moved <10 mins from my house and md/va interest in melee seems to be growing, I think I'll be able to get my melee luigi back in shape..

And yea we should def play sometime. Check out the UMBC event I have planned for next sunday if you can make it.

There isn't anything decently sized scheduled in tristate after Apex. I think Chibo is planning a Melee event, but I don't know if it will generate any hype. (He should just get the venue and let Scar do PR for it.)
Ah okay. Apex sounds pretty intense, but I can't afford coming up there atm and finals are stressing me out lol.

Well, if there's anything that does come up in the tristate area, I'll try to make it

Top Bottom