• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luigi QA - RIP Mark Dunstan "Marky-Mark"

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
Every other thread has people making these thread. I wanted to do something special for post # 2000. So here it is. Your very own Luigi Q/A from Pakman.

WIGI

Smash Champion
YAY PAKMAN.

finally somthing in the luigi forums.

question, your good in teams, what do you think luigi's ultimate role is within a team?

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
Well, I always found that the best team combination is more about style than actual character. Certain characters favor certain styles, but my point is you need an aggressive person and a support person.

I team with Scar, an aggressive falcon. I play support. When I tell him to be careful and not knee me all the time. We usually play worse.

So I play support and I feel Luigi works well in this role. Luigi can hold stock well because he survives when he isn't being edge guarded. In teams your team mate can make sure you don't get edge guarded easily. The nair is amazing at saving your partner. He moves around the stage really fast. And he can take a spacie from 0-50 one fast combo.

Luigi is a damage machine, but should usually rely on his partner for the final blow.

WIGI

Smash Champion
thqats what i assumed =}

my friend is a falcon main aswel.. G1G4

but my otehr friend plasy doc falco and peach

i do best with G1G4, and yeah, he just knees the hell out of everyhting, we do grab-shryouekns and tsuff too

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
Scar and I have good chemistry because we play together a lot and are quite familiar with each other's style in teams. I know that is there is a character tumbling in the air, scar is going to try and knee him. Knowing this, I will end my combos early so he can knee. This frequently works but only because we play together so much. So if you really want to improve team with your partner in friendlies a bunch even against your scrubby friends.

WIGI

Smash Champion
lol yeah we do whenver theres 4 peopel we just play teams instead.

hmm do i have any otehr questions.

i was watching oh girl yesterday, i noticed some things you used dash attack. i didn't think there were really any uses for dash attack. is this true?

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
In general dash attack is useless. Never plan to use it.

Situations where you CAN use it (but shouldn't) include:

1.) Missed techs/in the air - they can't do anything about the hits if they miss a tech. It is actually really funny to hit with. In the air, they can DI out but usually don't.

2.) If they are VERY close to the edge - The attack will hit them off. Usualy hits off even if they shield. They you can do Luigi's drop-zone dair/fair. You need most character to double jump to make this effective.

3.) You are playing Brawl.

The ones in Oh Girl were missed ftilts that ended up in my advantage. But don't tell anyone.

Pakman, can you or can you not have my kids?
Little Bowser-Luigi's running around..... I see no reason why we SHOULDN'T do this.

WIGI

Smash Champion
lol yeah i miss ftlits liek that alot too, but i get punished for them lol

yeah dash attack in brawl is not horible to 'edgegaurd' with.

thanks for the tips. im sure il have more questions later.

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
While bair and nair have similar priorities they are fundamental differences in how you use them.

Nair pros
1.) Comes out fast
2.) 15% damage sweet spotted (who the crap thought that was reasonable?)
3.) Pops up and is a good combo starter.
4.) Kills floaties at higher percents.
5.) Flubbed hit can shield stab easily.
6.) Priority

Nair cons
1.) Almost impossible to safely space.
2.) Nair stays out longer than other aerials so you can't start a double aerial with it or be aggressive offstage.
3.) Difficult to waveland.

Bair Pros
1.) Can wd offstage and bair gimp.
2.) Best aerial for safe spacing.
3.) Can do bair -> wavelands.
4.) Hit box is decent

Bair Cons
1.) Not good for combos.
2.) Not very powerful as a kill move.
3.) Must have back turned towards enemy.

I would suggest using nair to trade hits with certain characters, shield stab characters with crappy shields and finish off double aerials.

I would use bair to space aerials for shield pressure, gimp off stage, start double aerials and get characters off stage.

WIGI

Smash Champion
not sure if you ahve this off the top of your head.. but chaingrabbing fastfallers..

what % do you start at
what % do you have to techchase at
what%can they jump out yet......

basically i need each step in the FULL chaingrab on spacies/ cfalcon i think?

if this is to much its ok...

cykofox

Smash Ace
you can start at <50% they can jump out at 50ish. then will start trying to shine out or some****.. techchase with ftilt

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Pakman - We should play friendlies more often :bee:.

What is your take on when is good to shoryuken?

I saw you use it a lot against thorn at CT I believe.

Yay for Pakman thread ^_-

WIGI

Smash Champion
no. they can;t jump out of upthrow til sumwher past 100.

i just don't know all the steps do do the entire chaingrab...

and pakman will sya bets time to shryouken is outofsheild lol.

Lixivium

Smash Champion
1) Falcon and sometimes Ganon can jump out of shield and stomp me in between double-aerials. What am I doing wrong here and how do I fix this?

2) Luigi is my go-to character against Peaches, how do I approach her with a SH D-air or F-air when she's on the ground?

ppa0

Smash Journeyman
1. A, space your aerials very well, B, dont spam the same ones over and over, C, try this one: if he/she is behind you, do a SH back air into an upair into a kitty swipe XD, if you time and L cancel your B/U air properly you will have no lag time and with dishing out the kitty swipe at the end there is almost nothin they can do (unless you spam it hella and they find something to counter it XD
EXAMPLE @ 0:26 seconds http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8NUZF7SGWY

2. peach is very lame-sause, so you need really good spacing, try to be as far as possible away from her whilest still being able to hit her with your Fair, so just incase she shields, you dont get punished by her with an Nair out of shield

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
Pakman - We should play friendlies more often :bee:.

What is your take on when is good to shoryuken?

I saw you use it a lot against thorn at CT I believe.

Yay for Pakman thread ^_-
Dude after playing your shiek for 30 minutes, my sheik game improved quite a bit. Also, you are mad fun to play.

Shoryuken are all about risk versus reward. I use it out of shield a lot because there is little risk. Dash attacks like peach's and samus' are just asking to be uppercutted. Against peach you can be a little more aggressive with them because she can't do much to you if you miss. I go for jab-> shoryuken against peach and marth because their punishment options usually aren't too dangerous. But falcon can **** combo you so it is usually a bad idea to use against him a lot.

What are some things you should know how to do really good for a Luigi player, besides wavedashing.
wave landing is very important. being able to slide around platforms and waveland aerials is very useful.

knowing what to do from grabs.

spacing is crucial. Having safe wavedash ftilts is so useful.

The rest you will learn by playing. Learn the matchups and what you opponents options are and then cover as many as possible.

1) Falcon and sometimes Ganon can jump out of shield and stomp me in between double-aerials. What am I doing wrong here and how do I fix this?

2) Luigi is my go-to character against Peaches, how do I approach her with a SH D-air or F-air when she's on the ground?
Double aerials are a gimmick and can be very useful against some foes, but anyone who knows anything about Luigi knows to wait in shieled. I generally dislike double aerials and opt for aerial waveland. Against falcon and gannon, you need an aerial counter game. Wait for them to jump and use your uptilt priority against falcon. Just fair gannon, his moves are too slow that fair comes out faster then all of them.

Peach and samus are tough if you are going fo aerial approaches. Usually you want to stick with a ground approach. Up smash is decent against peach. Tilt your ftilts upward is she is floating low. Otherwise look to grab a lot.

ppa0's advice is perfect.
1. A, space your aerials very well, B, dont spam the same ones over and over, C, try this one: if he/she is behind you, do a SH back air into an upair into a kitty swipe XD, if you time and L cancel your B/U air properly you will have no lag time and with dishing out the kitty swipe at the end there is almost nothin they can do (unless you spam it hella and they find something to counter it XD
EXAMPLE @ 0:26 seconds http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8NUZF7SGWY

2. peach is very lame-sause, so you need really good spacing, try to be as far as possible away from her whilest still being able to hit her with your Fair, so just incase she shields, you dont get punished by her with an Nair out of shield

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
not sure if you ahve this off the top of your head.. but chaingrabbing fastfallers..

what % do you start at
what % do you have to techchase at
what%can they jump out yet......

basically i need each step in the FULL chaingrab on spacies/ cfalcon i think?

if this is to much its ok...
I actually don't know the answer to this.

I generally chain grab based on reaction rather than percent. I feel that Luigi's tech chase is much more useful unless you are super technical. (If you are then why the hell are you playing Luigi?)

Luigi can tech chase spaces by doing down throw into down B at low percents. Other than that you want to chase with down smash.

At very low percents against spacies you are pretty safe doing up throw upsmash. Spacies RARELY tech and you can start a dsmash chain.

Falcon can usually jump out of the chain grab pretty early. He isn't as vulnerable from grabs as fox or falco.

The chain grab is only guaranteed at mid percents. Otherwise they can do DI tricks.

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
Yeah, my technical ability is lacking. I rely on strategy to win most match ups. In my case, mind > hands. This is not true for everyone, but I feel that no matchup is completely onesided if you can out think your opponent.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Pakman - I'm glad to hear that :bee: we rarely see each other in tourney, but I'm looking forward to the next time I gotta play you. I gotz a feeling its gonna be amazing :bee:

Also good point because I remember you using it a lot for punishing falco's dash attacks. I'll keep that in mind thanks a lot.

EDIT: Also is there a reason you like reverse up-b? Does it do anything in particular?

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
Pakman - I'm glad to hear that :bee: we rarely see each other in tourney, but I'm looking forward to the next time I gotta play you. I gotz a feeling its gonna be amazing :bee:

Also good point because I remember you using it a lot for punishing falco's dash attacks. I'll keep that in mind thanks a lot.

EDIT: Also is there a reason you like reverse up-b? Does it do anything in particular?
Well I sort of got into the habit of doing it. When you sweet spot someones shield, there is a weird shield knock back. Luigi doesn't go straight up like usual, he gets pushed away from the character. I use reverse UP+B because it can either
A.) Switch the direction of the knock back.
B.) Cancel some of the force of the knock back. or
C.) Have Luigi Face the correct direction to grab a ledge.

Usually it doesn't matter, so it is more of a habit then something actually useful.

The real reason I do it:
When approaching with a wavedash my hands are in such a position that doing a facing up+b has a higher risk of hitting forward B instead on up+b. For me, reversing the UP+B has a lower risk of screwing up and ends the wavedash momentum so I shoryuken right where Luigi is rather than several pixels in front of him.

These things are very inconsequential, but kind of neat.

WIGI

Smash Champion
ok thx ppao.

is there any way to practis this with a non human player? lkiek do any lvevl cp di randomly? so i can learn to chase

COEY

Smash Lord
Just like to thank you again pakman for your advice and guides. Just went to my first UK tournament since i picked luigi up and finished 7th, pretty much all the top players over here attended and i usually place 9th. Got some doubles matches recorded (finished 3rd in team btw) arent up atm but if you check the tourney vids section theres a thread with some singles for the moment.

But yea thanks alot dude.

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
Just like to thank you again pakman for your advice and guides. Just went to my first UK tournament since i picked luigi up and finished 7th, pretty much all the top players over here attended and i usually place 9th. Got some doubles matches recorded (finished 3rd in team btw) arent up atm but if you check the tourney vids section theres a thread with some singles for the moment.

But yea thanks alot dude.
You guys should bother me more about that stuff. I enjoy doing it, but for some reason never have the motivation to do so. Link some vids in the video thread in the Luigi forums. I wouldn't mind checking them out.

Heart Break Kid

Smash Lord
When are tourny sets from Sensei's tourny going up? I want to see teams winners. Also teach me third strike so I can beat Rneo as badly as you did, I main Twelve...

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
When are tourny sets from Sensei's tourny going up? I want to see teams winners. Also teach me third strike so I can beat Rneo as badly as you did, I main Twelve...
Twelve's best move is turning into another character. He is god awful.

I will put up that set first. Possibly tonight.

I am hesitant to put up the commentary so I might just play music over it.

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
Pakman what's your advice to a new weegee player?
Assuming you weren't in the scene before,
Get as much exposure as you can. Go to tournaments. Go to smashfests. Seek out smashers. You will get better fast if you just keep playing, but that is the same for every character.

The things I would suggest you work on are wavedashing, move timings, learning your character's as well as your opponent's character's limits. Luigi is tricky. He has gimmicks like double aerials, wavelands, and a really slidey wavedash. You have to use your brain with Luigi, you aren't going to win on tech skill alone most of the time.

Some more advanced stuff you should start thinking about is wavedashing out of shield, proper edge guards on a character by character basis, shield DI, when to crouch cancel, and mashing down B.

Top Bottom