• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luigi QA - RIP Mark Dunstan "Marky-Mark"

Ch3s

Smash Journeyman
How should I follow up low percentage grabs? I've been trying to just down throw tech chase, but i feel like there is something better. Im talking against spacies, where its too low to up throw chaingrab or up throw dsmash, which is till about 15-20%.

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
If they miss the DI, uthrow usmash. It's harder to tech and has a better trajectory at low percents for comboing. This works starting at 0 on Fox and Falco easily, and it works on Falcon too, though the timing is pretty hard for him.

If they DI, try to regrab them. Nothing else will combo.

On spacies you can uthrow regrab any DI starting at 0. It's until you get to like 20 that you don't get a guaranteed regrab. Sometimes uthrow regrab and then uthrow usmash is good to mess up their tech or something.

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
Against spacies at 0:

Upthrow upsmash they WILL miss the tech 90% of the times. Free dsmash -> tech chase (they tech back 90% of the time) down smash again and then do you normal Luigi crap.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Those cheap Luigi combos working on basically everyone because who gets that much Luigi practice :awesome:

Winston

Smash Master
Against spacies at 0:

Upthrow upsmash they WILL miss the tech 90% of the times. Free dsmash -> tech chase (they tech back 90% of the time) down smash again and then do you normal Luigi crap.
I think that people who aren't used to being techchased will tech away the first time, and then once you chase that the first time, they start teching back. People who are a bit more used to it will tech back more.

I kind of hate that Luigi players rely on gimmicky junk like this all the time but hey, it works on everyone, even good players...

The great thing about teching back is you can cover no tech, tech in place, and tech back all together. (stand and be ready for a missed tech/tech in place with dsmash; if they tech back you can dash grab them).

Ch3s

Smash Journeyman
Thanks guys. also I did something interesting and im curious how realistic it is.
Basically it comes down to using dash attack as a reset instead of jab. Normally this would be stupid and situational, but at 0% on fox, while there may be better things to do, you can dthrow->dash attack and it resets them with like 17%. Im just curious how easy this is to get out of barring the obvious (they tech it lol)

Vist

Smash Champion
Not sure how easy it would be but I do think foxes can get out of it even in the 0% dthrow -> dash attack case.

I just randomly tried it a couple times vs a level 9 cpu and they seem to DI up / out of it

Ch3s

Smash Journeyman
yup, very gimmicky. Im gonna try it out on people, but im pretty sure ill have better luck with other things. How good/easy/important is shield SDI? Ive been trying it, and occassionally it works enough that i get a grab, but often nothing happens.

Vist

Smash Champion
I personally don't use it but I haven't tried it in a long time. I kinda just assume that luigi is going to slide a good bit anyway so the shield di probably wouldn't put me in a much better position to shield grab etc. but maybe not lol..

If I'm in my shield I'm usually just concentrating on getting out of it safely and timing it correctly, along with focusing the shield in a direction with the control stick. IMO, I think that going for shield di would potentially leave you more vulnerable to being poked and being caught with a bad di if you're actually hit. Or maybe you will just roll forward if your timing is terribly off... either way it seems risky.

I guess there are some good situations for it though and I may have to try it out more, such as getting ftilted by sheik with poor spacing or something.. and also not just going for a shield grab but even something like an up B OOS :awesome:

Winston

Smash Master
I don't have my cube set up right now, but if you want to know if it's easy to get out of, try using another controller to test various DI. I know you can just hold the C stick up to get out of some resets (like Luigi's jab reset on Captain Falcon, unfortunately). Also try holding a direction and see if it forces a standup, or if they can roll.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Talk about something useful like backthrow / Fthrow-> Ftilt which actually combos it's pretty cool and no one does it ~_~

Vist

Smash Champion
ah that's cool

Winston was the first person I saw doing it or at least suggesting it and eventually I started implementing the fthrow one just a little bit before apex.

Winston

Smash Master
Well, I came up with it/was doing it in friendlies with Wenbo a lot some time before Apex, then I saw Vudujin use fthrow at Apex. I saw him do fthrow -> jab -> regrab stuff I think, I don't remember seeing fthrow ftilt.

Whatever. It's cool and can be useful. Sometimes downsmash will combo instead of ftilt, which is pretty good too because then you get a downsmash near the edge into a chop or something.

StealthyGunnar

Smash Champion
so ive been picking up luigi a little bit lately and i was wondering, what do u guys approach w/ especially against link, or do u not approach at all?

Ch3s

Smash Journeyman
/inb4smashgodsayscyclonethroughprojectiles

WD Dsmash, WD Ftilt (not on shield, youre just asking to get upb OOSed), and of course jab mix ups. In all honesty, link is just laggy as hell, so you should focus more on pressuring and baiting into a punish, because the sword does a good job of keeping you out.

Also if you ever go in the air, get a hit and then get out of the air, FAST. He destroys luigi with his range, priority with the dair, and his nair is a pain.

Summary: dont approach much

Ch3s

Smash Journeyman
Does he full hop nair? My friend is a really good link, and he likes to full hop it alot, and you can sh uair it. Thats really the only aerial i ever use in this match up, his uair and dair are just too good. you CAN however nair -> chop if you know the nair will hit, like combo into it.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Be wary of approaching head on. Platforms help in this MU!

Also make sure you sweetspot the ledge if you ever recover with UpB - Link's UpB will be only too happy to meteor you.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Why would you ever not sweetspot the ledge vs someone edgeguarding you from the stage <_<

Top Bottom