• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luigi Able to Cyclone Recovery without 2nd Jump!?

Zethoro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zethor
To do the one without a jump you have to mash about 12 times in one second. Also, you can't have already attempted an aerial Cyclone and still do it.
Yikes. I can barely break 12/sec on a good day. So much for that then.
I guess Boss is just too good.

Soupy

Sage of Wind
Video proof of the mashing working? Just search Boss vs Dabuz and watch Boss recover from a spike from Rosa with just cyclone.

PXL

Smash Rookie
NNID
nitsugatap
thats crazy how boss can do that easily..

\

Gombi

Smash Apprentice
I gain height without using my jumping extremely consistently by sliding between the B and A button. It's much faster than lifting your finger
You can rise with the cyclone by mashing attack and special button ? I though it was only by mashing the attack button

Dakpo

Smash Lord
You can rise with the cyclone by mashing attack and special button ? I though it was only by mashing the attack button
I don't press them at the same time, I slide between the A and the B button. I've started to spike people with it like Boss. Its an amazing tool for recovery and offense

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
Yeah I'm loving the Jumpless Cyclone. Yesterday on FG I took a stock within the first 10 seconds by grabbing a DK by the ledge->Fair->Dair->Jumpless Cyclone. Sooo satisfying

pMew2

Smash Rookie
I gain height without using my jumping extremely consistently by sliding between the B and A button. It's much faster than lifting your finger
I will try this. Does pressing the attack button help you rise? or does it just help you mash B better?

Dakpo

Smash Lord
I will try this. Does pressing the attack button help you rise? or does it just help you mash B better?
It can help you mash B faster. Mashing A has no effect on giving you rise. Think of it like this, youre sliding your finger side to side rather than lifting it up and down

ScAtt77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScAtt77
Would anyone have any advice on performing a jumpless cyclone with the wii-chuk? I'm able to stall in the air but i've almost never been able to rise with it.

Seleir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Yoshigold
3DS FC
2707-1692-7697
Switch FC
2632-8168-1029
Guys really dont undersand of to do this i need to smash my b button and a button quickly? I have a gc controller

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
Would anyone have any advice on performing a jumpless cyclone with the wii-chuk? I'm able to stall in the air but i've almost never been able to rise with it.
Scatt!! I'll get that Mega Man one day haha.

But with the Nunchuck? Because of the where the B button is, it seems pretty tough to get a good mash. Since both hands can move around freely and aren't stuck to a GC controller I'm sure you could use some kind of combination to get both hands/arms involved in your mashing. May be uncomfortable at first but you should still have easy access to all your buttons.

Guys really dont undersand of to do this i need to smash my b button and a button quickly? I have a gc controller
Just the B button

Mew2

Smash Rookie
i set special to A because I feel a bigger button is easier to mash

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
Oh Magic Conch shell, when will I be able to button mash good enough to do this
"Maybe Someday"

dehvin

Smash Cadet
NNID
Dehvin
3DS FC
3110-5946-6541
My journey to mastering thing starts now... Will let you all know when I have completely my training.

LRodC

Smashing With Mewtwo and Cloud
NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
Just tried it and it seems almost impossible on the 3DS. It's probably not any easier on any other Smash Wii U controller either though. I can do it when it's set at ¼ speed and slightly less at ½ speed but after that it starts to lose the distance entirely.

Tbagz

Smash Journeyman
Ok, so let me get this straight.

I just run directly off the edge and start mashing cyclone the second i lose contact for the cyclone edge guard, been trying to figure this one out in my spare time for a few weeks now, ironic i check smashboards and this is up.

dehvin

Smash Cadet
NNID
Dehvin
3DS FC
3110-5946-6541
Ok, so let me get this straight.

I just run directly off the edge and start mashing cyclone the second i lose contact for the cyclone edge guard, been trying to figure this one out in my spare time for a few weeks now, ironic i check smashboards and this is up.
Basically, yeah. Depends where your opponent is though. You have to make sure it actually hits them or is in their path to hit them when they up B.

TriTails

Smash Lord
...I'll seriously never get why did they make it so you have to mash faster than Little Mac's rapid jab.

If people can pull off Jumpless Cyclone consistently, we'll be seeing a huge improvement in both Luigi's recovery and edgeguarding. Missile + Jumped Cyclone + SJP just isn't enough. I have my times where I successfully avoided Lucina's F-air and Cyclone'd, only to get stage spiked by Dolphin Slash >_>.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
...I'll seriously never get why did they make it so you have to mash faster than Little Mac's rapid jab.

If people can pull off Jumpless Cyclone consistently, we'll be seeing a huge improvement in both Luigi's recovery and edgeguarding. Missile + Jumped Cyclone + SJP just isn't enough. I have my times where I successfully avoided Lucina's F-air and Cyclone'd, only to get stage spiked by Dolphin Slash >_>.
We can always go mach cyclone guys!

Sorry can't say that with a straight face.

TriTails

Smash Lord
Mac Cyclone is horrible. Messes with Hoo HaHnado way too much lol.

If I want to buff Luigi's recovery, I'd slap in Floating Missile and be done with it.

Kujasauce

Smash Rookie
NNID
Kujasauce
3DS FC
4983-4941-3106
I still feel like we are missing something. It can't be just mashing. Boss does NOT move when he mashes. If we are all trying that hard to mash that quickly, he would have to be at least trying. Right? @.@

McZaxon

Smash Cadet
NNID
McZaxon
Switch FC
SW-0554-7774-1020
I still feel like we are missing something. It can't be just mashing. Boss does NOT move when he mashes. If we are all trying that hard to mash that quickly, he would have to be at least trying. Right? @.@

Dude I feel the EXACT same way. I've watched almost every video of Boss doing that Cyclone without his 2nd jump many times and he just doesn't move. :laugh: I've gone into training and I'm able to get it up to 2/3 speed, then after that at 1x speed, I rise maybe half a Luigi head or just stall. I even timed how many times I press the B button within a second and it's about 12, the required amount of presses needed to raise a considerable height.

There has got to be a different way.... :cry:

Last edited:

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Dude I feel the EXACT same way. I've watched almost every video of Boss doing that Cyclone without his 2nd jump many times and he just doesn't move. :laugh: I've gone into training and I'm able to get it up to 2/3 speed, then after that at 1x speed, I rise maybe half a Luigi head or just stall. I even timed how many times I press the B button within a second and it's about 12, the required amount of presses needed to raise a considerable height.

There has got to be a different way.... :cry:
All we need is one solid post from @boss8 on how he does it...he was so active on the Luigi brawl boards so hopefully he can spare us a moment to tell us his secret!

Commander Fresh

Smash Cadet
NNID
CommanderFresh
Dat feeling when you mastered cyclone and read smashboard comments :seuss:

EDIT : To help you - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjnOaw9WVo0
The issue with that method is that not only does it require the hand to completely let go and move above the controller, it takes time for the arm to actually start shaking once you tense the muscle up (not to mention that your arm gets tired after a couple tries and the whole strategy loses effectiveness). All in all, it's a method that seems to take too long and is too elaborate to set up in the moment, and it isn't particularly repeatable. Playing Mario Party, I have used this method before, but I always had to start mashing before the mini-game started in order to get my arm shaking properly, and my performance really started to suffer after doing it a couple times. The whole thing doesn't seem plausible (unless you've perfected this method, which in that case, care to elaborate more?). Sure, using my personal experience isn't exactly empirical science, but I'm a simple man.

On another note, I just wanted to clarify something, people attempting the cyclone in the air aren't fast falling, right? It just occurred to me that tilting the stick all the way down makes you fast fall, which indeed gave me an impossible time gaining height with the cyclone. Recovering with a jumpless cyclone does seem fairly plausible to me without the fast fall, however, as I was able to gain a little height.

Last edited:

SpottedCerberus

Smash Journeyman
The button mashing is the only thing I dislike about Luigi. I feel like, to use him to his full potential, I have to be able to button mash at inhuman speeds. About twice as fast as I'm capable of. Otherwise his recovery isn't that great, and I can't tornado spike.

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
I thought I've mentioned my technique here but I guess I did it in another thread. Here's my technique that allows me to do it with near 100% consistency:

1) Set your Y button to special
2) Make sure your hands are warm
3) Use your index and middle fingers alternately to get a good mash without too much effort

Commander Fresh

Smash Cadet
NNID
CommanderFresh
I thought I've mentioned my technique here but I guess I did it in another thread. Here's my technique that allows me to do it with near 100% consistency:

1) Set your Y button to special
2) Make sure your hands are warm
3) Use your index and middle fingers alternately to get a good mash without too much effort
I'm having trouble getting anywhere as good a mash compared to just using my thumb. How are you doing it?

thisNeko

Smash Rookie
I will try to make a video that explain and show the thing.

Last edited:

dehvin

Smash Cadet
NNID
Dehvin
3DS FC
3110-5946-6541
To me it looks like he is only clicking B, he is just incredibly good at it. Near the end, it looked like his hand even stopped moving.

McZaxon

Smash Cadet
NNID
McZaxon
Switch FC
SW-0554-7774-1020
To me it looks like he is only clicking B, he is just incredibly good at it. Near the end, it looked like his hand even stopped moving.
No! He uses two! Check this video out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fBOwLYrUwI

It's VERY hard to see, but at 1:06, when he does his jumpless tornado, he moves his left hand over to mash another button. And you can see him take his hand away as well after the cyclone.

He does it again at 1:46, 3:30, and 4:47!

Top Bottom