• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luigi Able to Cyclone Recovery without 2nd Jump!?

ewic

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2363-5634-0009
Watch this video, from a tourney last night:
http://www.twitch.tv/vgbootcamp/b/592822158
and go to:
3:25:50
3:27:59

It appears Boss (the Luigi player) is able to vertically recover without using his 2nd jump.

Am I wrong? Any input greatly appreciated. This could be a huge help for Luigis recovery if its possible.

mrconcon

Smash Cadet
Yes it is, I can demonstrate in a video since I just got my capture card too, and I'm going to be streaming regularly too. It just requires more mashing.

Last edited:

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Luigi community has been booming with success the past 2 days.

I wonder how much button mashing you gotta do to accomplish that....not everyone is well, a boss lol.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Luigi community has been booming with success the past 2 days.

I wonder how much button mashing you gotta do to accomplish that....not everyone is well, a boss lol.
There's a reason the camera wasn't focused on his hands.

All you'd see would be green fire

hey_there

Smash Journeyman
That's insane. But at least now we know it's technically possible.

GreenFlame

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0275-7873-0005
I'm really upset with Sakurai making it so hard to rise with it.

I can BARELY rise with a jump, how am I supposed to rise without it? Sakurai made the button-mashing demand far too high.

Remioli

Smash Journeyman
I've been doing it at 1/4 speed and 1/2 speed.

At one fourth speed I can do it easy as well as one half. Seems like it's about fifteen presses throughout the cyclone. When your momentum is going up, it's great. When it's going down, it's... Ok.

Wen I'm falling down at weegee's normal falling speed, and do what seems like the perfect mash, I'll get decent height. The thing is, you have lag after the cyclone. So if you do the cyclone without upward momentum, you only seem to gain like one and a third luigi heights.

I guess it's still useful, but it's harder than brawl and you get less production.

I honestly just don't get, why in a game where recovery has been made almost infinite for most all characters and incredibly easy, they made it so you have to mash like a god for this one move.

King_Peachee

Smash Journeyman
NNID
King_Peachee
3DS FC
3754-9306-5412
Has anyone created any videos demonstrating this? While I can clearly see Boss doing it, I'm interested in seeing it down outside of a match.

Starman15

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RobotTurtle5000
3DS FC
3136-7638-2428
Switch FC
SW-2901-3121-3539
You gotta hit B really quickly to recover decently with Luigi Cyclone, the only way an easy way to do this is to use down-B right after double jumping.

King_Peachee

Smash Journeyman
NNID
King_Peachee
3DS FC
3754-9306-5412
Yeah, I spent some time in the lab yesterday and I was also able to achieve height with no more jumps....only on 2/3 speed. I even tried switching my Y button to special so that I could mash TWO buttons and the best I could get was the height where I originally started the tornado. I'm baffled that someone can get height without any jumps. I'm not too worried about it because I've trained myself to save that jump, but it would be nice to find a way.

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
Gotta admit...it's tough. And I'm left handed so my mashing isn't as good on my right hand. I guess it takes a lot of working on that thumb muscle to get it. I can rise a little bit but not enough to count on it as a recovery option. For now I'm stuck with rising with my double jump

hey_there

Smash Journeyman
I've gotten to the point now where I can rise a bit without the second jump. I used to be able to rise when I played Melee, so I had no problem getting the full height without a jump in Brawl. But so many years of Brawl has left me spoiled =(

Luigi is obviously the most technically demanding character in the game =P

Luigi player

Smash Master
Yes it is, I can demonstrate in a video since I just got my capture card too, and I'm going to be streaming regularly too. It just requires more mashing.
Is there any specific method you're using to mash that fast?

Like using the indexfinger, using more buttons that have special, or just normal with the thumb on the B button (GCC?)?

TriTails

Smash Lord
This tech is really only for bosses (Yeah, never got tired of that pun, lol). I guess you'll just have to mash like no tommorow and train, train, TRAIN!

If anyone can fo this though, it'll make Luigi's recovery safer, as stopping the Cyclone now doesn't neccesarily means death for them. Seriously, I'd better get my thumb trained!

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
I can do it now but not very consistently. Maybe 20-25% of the time. My technique is to move my left index finger to the B button while using my ring finger on the control stick. Very awkward but I'm left handed and that's the best way for me to get the best mash.

hey_there

Smash Journeyman
I have it down much more consistently now. Not 100% but getting there. I mash with the middle finger on my right hand.

JakeTG

Smash Rookie
How do you do cyclone recovery? im never able to do it :(
Idk how to do one without a jump, but if you jump then immediatly use downB then spam the B button repeatively it does the cyclone upward recovery

Last edited:

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
To do the one without a jump you have to mash about 12 times in one second. Also, you can't have already attempted an aerial Cyclone and still do it.

FlintIke

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys,my brother mains luigi and rly wants to know if there is any special button setting you should use to recover without using 2nd jump like boss always do.Do you have any ideas or advice that might help?

hey_there

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys,my brother mains luigi and rly wants to know if there is any special button setting you should use to recover without using 2nd jump like boss always do.Do you have any ideas or advice that might help?
Your brother is going to have to practice. Simple as that. Eventually he'll build the fast twitch muscles required to do it. It takes time though, so tell him to keep practising a lot.

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
So I can do it now. Very consistently but my execution in game is going to need some serious work because of the way I have to do it. I move my left index finger over to the B button and scrub across the button rather than tapping it.

Brent Bruthaa

Smash Cadet
I've been watching Boss' games aswell. As a Luigi main it's both inspiring and dissapointing that I can't recover as well as he can with my Luigi Cyclone. I'm going to keep practicing though, and hopefully one day I can do it half as good as he can.

For those of you who are interested in seeing these moves in action, check these links out.

http://youtu.be/gLTmbeQaZYE
vs sonic
2:50 jumps, gets hit, luigi cyclone, super jump punch
4:35 green missile, luigi cyclone, jump
8:40 jumps then gets hit, luigi cyclone, super jump punch

http://youtu.be/7XbqFZH8JWs
vs dark pit
1:10 green missile, luigi cyclone, jump, super jump punch

http://youtu.be/lSRn2pjOWJk
vs olimar
1:05 drops off edge, luigi cyclone (rises at end), dAir, jump + upAir, super jump punch

http://youtu.be/ZwlzYvZ_NAg
vs Ness
3:50 doesn't look like he gets his jump back. green missile, gets hit, luigi cyclone with lift, super jump punch

This is one definately my favourite:
http://youtu.be/MMuYDCiXEb0
vs Pit
runs off, luigi cyclone and rises up, dAir, jumps, super jump punch

nyanturtwig

Smash Cadet
NNID
nyanturtwig
3DS FC
0490-4718-5860
I wish I could cyclone as good as Boss. The only time I can really get great height with the move is when I go from D-Throw to Cyclone. I always come up short when I need to recover. Just gotta keep practicing.

Frededish

Smash Cadet
NNID
Frededish.
3DS FC
1650-2628-3264
Set your special button to all four taunt buttons. Much easier to do it that way. Imo.
/Edit: Doesn't work in this game.

Last edited:

CMonster1221

Smash Rookie
NNID
CMonster1221
Def on another level not something ive been able to do with consistency at all.

Cryzies`

Smash Rookie
I've been doing it very consistently. Changed entire dpad to special. I don't use down taunt anyways. This way I don't have to mash as hardhard mid match for a recovery. Technique is still required to get maximum lift, mediocre lift is easily obtained.

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
This is a rather interesting development, more people have been able to do jumpless cyclones by using the D pad. I'm glad to hear this, and will try it at my college.

hey_there

Smash Journeyman
This is a rather interesting development, more people have been able to do jumpless cyclones by using the D pad. I'm glad to hear this, and will try it at my college.
Me too. I think I'm gonna keep down taunt though. I just ... couldn't bear to see it go.

Commander Fresh

Smash Cadet
NNID
CommanderFresh
Me too. I think I'm gonna keep down taunt though. I just ... couldn't bear to see it go.
Since I don't use Y to jump, I've always set that as my down taunt (mostly because some genius decided to make taunts and footstools share a button in Project M), and my D pad has always been for the tornado. However, I was never able to get this to work in Smash 4 as it would just treat all the inputs as one button press. I'll try revisiting it though, and hope to hell that I did something wrong that first time. It just doesn't feel right for Luigi without a second jump to have a vertical recovery comparable to that of Little Mac's.

Last edited:

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Since I don't use Y to jump, I've always set that as my down taunt (mostly because some genius decided to make taunts and footstools share a button in Project M), and my D pad has always been for the tornado. However, I was never able to get this to work in Smash 4 as it would just treat all the inputs as one button press. I'll try revisiting it though, and hope to hell that I did something wrong that first time. It just doesn't feel right for Luigi without a second jump to have a vertical recovery comparable to that of Little Mac's.
I would never compare Luigi's recovery to Mac's, even if he only had his super jump punch only, his recovery is better than Mac's.

I guess my main inquiry now is: How do you guys use the D pad for jumpless cyclones? Do you just rotate the pad around or what?

Commander Fresh

Smash Cadet
NNID
CommanderFresh
I would never compare Luigi's recovery to Mac's, even if he only had his super jump punch only, his recovery is better than Mac's.

I guess my main inquiry now is: How do you guys use the D pad for jumpless cyclones? Do you just rotate the pad around or what?
In PM, the idea was that you set all four directions as special moves and rotated the D pad around (it was enough to send Luigi without a second jump as high as he could go in Brawl after using a second jump). However, with the admittedly limited testing I have done in Smash 4, it seems that the game treats the whole thing as just one input. If that is truly the case (and I pray not), then further experimentation would be needed to find the best method. Perhaps only setting the left and right as special would work, since we'll no longer be inputting just one command into the game. The question is how much faster will that actually be than what one can achieve through normal mashing.

hey_there

Smash Journeyman
Even if the dpad counts as just one input, surely having two inputs for special is better for rising than just one? I can get to about 10-11 presses/second with just B, so I'm hoping that with at least a second button I'll be able to get a consistent rise.

Commander Fresh

Smash Cadet
NNID
CommanderFresh
Even if the dpad counts as just one input, surely having two inputs for special is better for rising than just one? I can get to about 10-11 presses/second with just B, so I'm hoping that with at least a second button I'll be able to get a consistent rise.
That's what I'm hoping for two, but alas, tapping a button is not the same as sliding your thumb back and forth across that flimsy little Dpad.

Dakpo

Smash Lord
I gain height without using my jumping extremely consistently by sliding between the B and A button. It's much faster than lifting your finger

Top Bottom