• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucina Thread [Closing]

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaturnFrost

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SaturnFrost
If there are locked chars ,It seems shes one. Marth is assumed a starter since hes on the official box art. So far in smash clones haven't been starters with their originals/vice versa.

Last edited:

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
If Lucina play can go full brute force like Roy does in Project M, I'll main her. And if Ness sucks again, then she be my primary main.

Dillo64

Smash Apprentice
I'd say unlockable. May have been revealed early at the request of Intelligent Systems, or just because of the video they made. They may not have wanted to be too misleading and have her and Chrom in the video and not explain if they're playable or not.

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
I think she will be unlockable however didnt Sakurai said that Lucina would be easier to use?
Thats a little argument...

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Even though i never played a FE (i plan to start soon), i always like the idea of a Marth clone, since Roy was one of my mains in Melee, so i'm really looking forward to main her.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Guess it's better then another blue hair kirby hat.

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
For anyone curious, her Specials share the same name as Marth's. I can't read the names for her normals (if they are listed. Falcon's normals are named though, so I assume so)

N-Special: Shield Breaker
S-Special: Dancing Blade (Marvelous Combination in JP)
U-Special: Dolphin Slash
D-Special: Counter

Last edited:

Reginleif

Smash Ace
In Awakening, it's impossible for Lucina to acquire Counter... unless Lunatic+ is canon. :eek:

Sayjin

Smash Journeyman
Surprisingly, more people in that thread seem to believe the cut character as Lucas rather than Chrom.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I'm still a little unsure given Robin more so then Lucina is regards how that played out. Having Lucina replacing a different character is an interesting theory, just not sure how much I'd make of it.

Last edited:

Reginleif

Smash Ace
Well, I think Sakurai was aiming on making Marth/Lucina like female and male Wii Fit Trainers and female and male Robin, but since Lucina is essentially her own character with slightly different features, they gave her the slot and customized her a bit. I think this is why Lucina has the "?!" in her trailer because they weren't sure at the time they animated it.

-

I don't think Chrom was ever "cut". There was no good reason for him to be in Smash Bros. in the first place when everything was working against him. It makes total sense that he was planned as a part of Robin's final smash from the start.

Last edited:

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
Surprisingly, more people in that thread seem to believe the cut character as Lucas rather than Chrom.
That makes more sense to me than Chrom actually. I think it would be strange if Chrom was planned on his own, then cut and added to Robin's Final Smash and Lucina used to fill in the extra spot. Why not just use Chrom?

Donalp15

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Donalp15
At least this means people can stop hating on poor Lucina. That article implies she is not the first of many clones, and the character was not cut in favor or her, but for some other reason. She stepped up to fill the gap.

Last edited:

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
Did we learn nothing from Gematsu, guys? Assume all "leaks" are false until proven true.

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
"Originally Lucina was a Marth color variation because they're related characters. The have different names and voices but play the same, and would receive treatment similar to male/female WFT, Villager and Robin. However, while Lucina's fighting style is the same, she has different characteristics. Because there's only a small difference, she would be a convenient additional character. This made her a lucky newcomer pick."
From a user on Neogaf

So, it seems no "cut character" was mentioned at all. And it basically says exactly what Sakurai said on Miiverse.

EDIT: This is in reference to the page showing Lucina and Captain Falcon only

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
It doesn't make much sense to be Chrom, though. As the user Rosalina mentioned in the rumors thread, it could possible be Rayman the cut character, because of Ubisoft's shenanigans with the Wii U version of Rayman Legends.

Reila

So if I'm getting this straight, Chrom was straight up cut in favour of Lucina.

Wat.
You are not getting this straight it seems. There is nothing indicating Chrom was ever considered to be in the game.

samsparta21

Smash Ace
You are not getting this straight it seems. There is nothing indicating Chrom was ever considered to be in the game.
Except the Gematsu leak. The fact that it got so many characters right means that it probably had some truth to it, it was probably an outdated roster that the leaker got his hands on. This roster contained Chrom.

Donalp15

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Donalp15
Except the Gematsu leak. The fact that it got so many characters right means that it probably had some truth to it, it was probably an outdated roster that the leaker got his hands on. This roster contained Chrom.
I don't think this is the case, Robin wasn't on the Gematsu leak, I think he 'replaced' Chrom.

Reila

You mean the fake Gematsu leak? Right. Believe what you want then. :drshrug:

samsparta21

Smash Ace
You mean the fake Gematsu leak? Right. Believe what you want then. :drshrug:
Don't be so quick to assume Gematsu is fake just because it missed one character. It got every other one right, including Wii Fit Trainer and Mii Fighters. If anything this news helps the "outdated Gematsu" theory because Chrom was cut.

I don't think this is the case, Robin wasn't on the Gematsu leak, I think he 'replaced' Chrom.
Rosalina wasn't on it either.

Last edited:

Sayjin

Smash Journeyman
Which theoretically means Chrom could have been cut for Rosalina. Or Robin. Or he was cut just because they ended up not liking him after initially deciding on him due to being "the main Lord". There's a plethora of reasons he's not around, but it sure wasn't just so Lucina could get in, and it sure wasn't after they spent any time developing him beyond his basic model, otherwise that would've likely gone to Lucina so as to not be sunk costs.

samsparta21

Smash Ace
Which theoretically means Chrom could have been cut for Rosalina. Or Robin. Or he was cut just because they ended up not liking him after initially deciding on him due to being "the main Lord". There's a plethora of reasons he's not around, but it sure wasn't just so Lucina could get in, and it sure wasn't after they spent any time developing him beyond his basic model, otherwise that would've likely gone to Lucina so as to not be sunk costs.
They said in the article that Lucina was the replacement for the cut character. It would make sense for the character being replaced to be from Fire Emblem (why replace a character with one from a different series) and Chrom was an obvious and highly speculated choice

Donalp15

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Donalp15
It looks like a false alarm, apparently there is no mention of a cut character and it was an incorrect translation.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Won't main her, but she's a potential alt. Always liked Marth's moveset, but I'm not good with the tipper at all, that F-Air just never hits like I want it to. With Lucina I'll be able to play my rush-down Marth, so she could become a character I play regularly.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Sorta sucks she didn't get her own moveset, but if she was originally played as a Marth alt, I will be thankful enough for her being her own character slot and having slightly different characteristics (hopefully it's not just the height and no tipper though). I wouldn't mind her being a Marth alt (better than not being in the game) but being slightly different will be interesting (I'm a Marth user) so it gives me more choices :D

It's a pity they didn't have enough time to create an entirely new moveset (or even a semi-clone), because I was confident Sakurai would be able to make a different, unique sword fighter apart from Marth and Ike.

Oh well, perhaps if she sticks around for SSB5 and gets more appearances/games til then, she can get her own moveset some day :)

Reginleif

Smash Ace
The Gematsu leak shouldn't be grouped. The first round was a legitimate leak. The second round contained outdated information that was already obvious by the use of "Pokemon from X/Y" and not knowing whether Lucas or Ness will be cut. Yes, the first one was real. The second one was outdated and inaccurate and could have been made up for all we know. They should each be counted as their own, not under one whole umbrella. So Gematsu 1st round? Yes. 2nd round? No, and it should not hold as much credit as the first.

Leaks are automatically wrong until proven right. First round was proven, second round was far from since the beginning.

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
Sorta sucks she didn't get her own moveset, but if she was originally played as a Marth alt, I will be thankful enough for her being her own character slot and having slightly different characteristics (hopefully it's not just the height and no tipper though). I wouldn't mind her being a Marth alt (better than not being in the game) but being slightly different will be interesting (I'm a Marth user) so it gives me more choices :D

It's a pity they didn't have enough time to create an entirely new moveset (or even a semi-clone), because I was confident Sakurai would be able to make a different, unique sword fighter apart from Marth and Ike.

Oh well, perhaps if she sticks around for SSB5 and gets more appearances/games til then, she can get her own moveset some day :)
I hope she's more of a semi clone along the likes of Toon Link and Lucas than a direct clone. Ness and Toon Link are two of my mains, and I can tell you there are a lot of differences only someone who plays those characters can notice. Marth's a secondary for me, so I'm excited to give Lucina a shot and see if she works better for me than Marth does!

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
I should mention, Sakurai normally does a collumn in Famitsu so the "cut character" but may come from that. There aren't any sources of it online currently, but I thought I'd bring up the possibility.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I know this was a few pages back but where did people get this whole "People complain about Lucina but not Toon Link" impression from? People have been shoving trash down Toon Link's throat since the day he was confirmed to return...

I think the reason Lucina is getting most of the backlash now is because she has been just recently revealed. As much as I hate to admit it, but give it some time and people will start complaining about both of them.... I don't have anything against either of them though.

Anyway, to get back to the current discussion. I would like to see if they have included some more differences into Lucina in terms of her animations. I would like to see her idle poses being at least changed a bit though.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
So looks like Lucina is more of a semi-clone after all. Judging from the scans, her forward smash, counter,and shield breaker at least looks different from those of Marth:

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
Lucina can put on her mask with Down Taunt?

Welp, that's probably as close as an in game "Deal With it" that we're going to get (and I love it)

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
So looks like Lucina is more of a semi-clone after all. Judging from the scans, her forward smash, counter,and shield breaker at least looks different from those of Marth:

Now, the picture under her mask picture...is that Dolphin Slash or her Up Smash? the angle makes it hard to tell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom