• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucas is way too misunderstood.

Clausking52

Smash Rookie
Nobody really understands lucas unless they saw his potential from the very start. One of the main reasons is because NOBODY knows about his game therefore nobody would have any reason to get excited to play as him. I was talking too my friend who absolutly hates lucas and he told me the reason he hates him is because he doesn't like his haircut. WTF! But if you look at his moveset he a very powerful opponent. His upsmash can kill very easily if it hits, PSI magnet works as a sort of quick run plus it does damage, waveboucing, zap jumping, the list goes on and on! Yet nobody chose him as the first character they played in brawl just because they didn't know who he was. In my opinion lucas could tear through a tournement if put in the right hands but the problem is almost nobody would actually try! he has a very great recovery, able to restore damage, a reflector attack, and a very very good defensive game. anyways now that that is out of my system, what do you guys think? Do you think lucas is underrated?

arfer

Smash Cadet
didn't like the haircut? what? I wish I had Lucas' hair. anyways, there are some positives to being underrated. I just love surprising people who don't know what lucas is capable of, especially zap jumping!

it's always fun to see people first reaction to zap jumping

Irsic

Smash Ace
Do I think Lucas is underrated? Yes

Do I think Lucas is capable of winning tournaments? Yes

Do I think it begin to happen anytime soon? No

Do I think Lucas deserves to be higher in the tier list? Only slightly. Only slightly.

That said, I think Lucas is a great character, but he's no Snake, Falco, MK, or G&W. It takes ridiculous amounts of skill to be good (and win) with Lucas. We might get a Lucas rep someday, but it's more than likely going to be a while. He has a lot of ATs, but they have limited use and in no way shape or form break or make the character.

Lucas has a long way to go before he starts getting the results that you're looking for.

xoxokev

Smash Lord
Actually, Lucas was the first character I picked when I first played Brawl. Only because I skipped melee, and went from SSB64 to Brawl. Ness was my main in 64, and Lucas was the first one that I saw that reminded me of Ness. Months later, I switched to Ness because of his cool hat and shoes ;)

JayMan3

Smash Rookie
I started as Lucas too cause I mained Ness in SSBM and tried Lucas when I got brawl and when I unlocked Ness I still played as Lucas causehe seems more powerful

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
But you see, it's good to be underrated. Then people have no idea what Lucas can do and let their guard down.

We do need to win more tourneys though.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
I mained Lucas since the day the game came out. In fact, I'd planned to ahead of time just from watching him in videos from people who'd gotten Brawl early in the US.

He is underrated. I enjoy that. It means I get to **** people who think they're going to win.

He doesn't belong much higher or possibly at all on the tier list. He isn't that good a character.

PhoenixAlpha

Smash Journeyman
I find that a lot of people say "Lucas should be higher on the tier list," and yet no one can prove it. He's there for a reason. If you want him to be somewhere else, BE the new reason.

Until then, enjoy your character. I do. ;)

ZMan

Smash Master
cromartie high school aka albuquerque, nm
I decided to main Lucas after I found out that Falcon (my melee and 64 main) sucked. I think I main Lucas cause I've mained him before Brawl's us release and I've put more effort into him than any other character I've played. Plus he's fun to play as.

I'll win a tournament someday, I just need to believe.

d_shep04

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3239-7702-5941
I've played Lucas since the game came out for the Japanese wii, and i've won or place 4 or higher in online tournament on allisbrawl or in real life... so lucas is not that bad you just know how to avoid bad match ups. or just be better than your opponent... and lucas does MASSIVE DAMAGE on teams man...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XeFNw2RoXE&feature=channel_page

here is a video of me playing... I dont b-stick or anything... and i cant remember if i did anything fancy or not in this video... but it just takes time and practice and patience in learning how 2 be good with lucas

Levitas

the moon
Lucas is pretty terrible, but we still love him.

Claus, while lucas can use those things that you listed, they don't really make up for a number of his weak points. He has low priority in a lot of important angles. That's probably the most important failure that lucas has.

If his PK fire came out faster, moved faster, and you could angle it up, he would be significantly better. If his Utilt was disjointed (same hitbox, but in front of him by a bit), and his grab were replaced with Ness's (not throws, just grab), he'd be MUCH better.

Dxt XXII

Smash Journeyman
He has low priority in a lot of important angles. That's probably the most important failure that lucas has.
I agree that it is a major weakness, but Lucas also has another big problem. One thing against him is his inability to face strong campers. Marth just camps behind his high-priority fair, G&W can camp with bair, fair, and dtilt, Wolf with his blaster, fair, and bair, ect. Against people like these Lucas is forced to play aggressive as he cannot outcamp them, and then is put in a bad position. Lucas is good to play defensivly, but is not a very aggressive character.

Lucas is still the most fun character for me to play despite all his flaws.

Many new Lucases...
A good sign...

Clausking52

Smash Rookie
I find that a lot of people say "Lucas should be higher on the tier list," and yet no one can prove it. He's there for a reason. If you want him to be somewhere else, BE the new reason.

Until then, enjoy your character. I do. ;)
I am trying to help lucas out by going to as many tournements as i can, and proving to people how good lucas actually is.

Irsic

Smash Ace
Oh, when he's approaching from the air? No, if Wolf is approaching that way you can wavebounce PK Fires, or just zap jump over him.

I've played a thousand different spammy Wolf's, but I've never been camped by one.

Phelix08

Smash Apprentice
Lucas was the first character I picked up in brawl because i mained fox in melee and got sick of winning. >.<
(actually, I quit fox because he just looks silly in this game [his feet flail when he shoots in the air. i couldn't stand it], and I originally played Ness in 64, so I figured I'd give Lucas a try, and now don't really like anyone else. But on to something worth saying...)

There are some serious advantages to playing an underrated character. I wouldn't worry too much about the public opinion (and/or sbr's opinion) of him. People want to fight to get lucas placed higher, but tier lists only effect the people, not the game. Basically, if they decided MK was last tier, it wouldn't have any effect on any of his matchups. People would just worry about him less. Which is usually good.

Not that he doesn't have some serious hurdles to overcome before that will make much of a difference in tournaments.

S.D

Smash Master
Lucas is underrated sure, but in truth he is not a great character for various reasons outlined by numerous people already. Low priority, poor approach etc etc. That doesn't mean he isn't capable of doing good things in the right hands, but if two evenly matched players fought it out between Lucas and pretty much any top tier char Lucas loses :(

I play Lucas because I wub him and have done ever since the game came out, however most of my tournament WINS have come using Pit, although i did wrangle one win with Lucas once upon a time <3

Good attitude though, we need more go getters wanting to move Lucas up the tier lists :)

FireKirby7

Smash Lord
I main Lucas cuz I'm a huge Mother fan. Can't leave Lucas out!
And Lucas isn't terrible. He just needs more representation. He already has the potential.

Chuee

Smash Hero
Yeah like firekirby said lucas isnt terrible. We just need to find some ways to beat characters like G&W that wreck us completely.

Timbers

check me out
Where does the idea of low priority come out from?
You guys don't really have any move that can significantly protect you when using it. Ftilt seems to be the only thing I can think of off the top of my head where you can protect yourself from dire angles. Lucas is like, meant to be played as a defensive character but then...can't.

It's just an outside opinion of a character, I don't play him or anything.

_clinton

Smash Master
You guys don't really have any move that can significantly protect you when using it. Ftilt seems to be the only thing I can think of off the top of my head where you can protect yourself from dire angles. Lucas is like, meant to be played as a defensive character but then...can't.

It's just an outside opinion of a character, I don't play him or anything.
Fair, Nair, Dair, Uair

Nair=counter move
Fair=retreating is nice, plus it has the same speed as Marth's
Dair=good luck breaking through it
Uair=the range on it is a lot larger then it seems, the whole angle where Lucas is open that you guys are talking about is actually covered somewhat with it

Bair=just plain sexy for other reasons...

Lemonwater

Smash Ace
I actually hate Lucas because I prefer Ness (and I think Lucas makes annoying sounds), but I don't doubt his potential. I have a healthy respect for his smash attacks, and he can sometimes be annoyingly hard to read and kill because his moves have weird hitboxes.

I actually believe he can be better than Ness when used correctly because he's faster and has the power to back up his moves (and his PK Thunder doesn't get blocked when it hits something). Other than his speed and upsmash however, I'd prefer Ness.

Timbers

check me out
Fair, Nair, Dair, Uair

Nair=counter move
Fair=retreating is nice, plus it has the same speed as Marth's
Dair=good luck breaking through it
Uair=the range on it is a lot larger then it seems, the whole angle where Lucas is open that you guys are talking about is actually covered somewhat with it

Bair=just plain sexy for other reasons...
Has nothing to do with what I was saying. All of those moves hitboxes, save for uair, are very linear.

S.D

Smash Master
>.> thanks timbers that was my point all along <3

Approach options are poor - nair gets outprioritised and his (approach) range doesn't support an offensive game. Anyways why is this thread still open?

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
If timber's point is that Lucas doesn't have safe moves that's not really true at all. Dair is an extremely safe move to use because very few things hit through it from below. The opponent can only hit through it from the side or from above which can almost always be avoided with good spacing. Ftilt is safe because of vertical and horizontal spacing and the fact that it's fast enough to be safe against shields. Honestly, that and his jabs are about all he needs defensively. Nair is great for punishing out of shield since it's faster than his shieldgrab and cuts through shields as well. If I can outcamp someone I can usually beat them. The only exceptions are like Marth, Game and Watch and Metaknight. They take a lot more work. Lucas works defensively.

~Pink Fresh~

Smash Master
i think timbers point was that his moves are linear and they don't really have priority in some important angles. his moves don't really have any arc or anything. they just go in one direction. you can't fair when you are 45 degrees above an opponent and expect to get a hit, while you can do so with marth most of the higher tiers. dair is the same, while it has loads of priority when you're under him, if you are to the side, then you can expect to be outprioritized. his utilt doesn't reach far in front of him. things like that. if that isn't his point then i am mistaken, and it is my point lol

S.D

Smash Master
Well that's what I thought he was saying, and it's all TRUE. While Lucas does have some moves with reasonable priority, he can rarely fully protect himself due to, as Timbers said, the linear nature of most of his attacks. F tilt and jab are among his greatest strengths for a defensive game sure, but that isn't really the point here. It's a question of Lucas' all round priority which, to be fair, is not among the best. (Besides I was talking about his approach game initially...)

_clinton

Smash Master
Has nothing to do with what I was saying. All of those moves hitboxes, save for uair, are very linear.
Funny that was my point for Lucas' 2 o clock position...but still...the whole retreating Fair is a nice thing...

Top Bottom