• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucas being better than Ness doesn't make sense from a marketing standpoint

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Lucas isn't better, they have completely different playstyles and if you do think that he is better thats merely your opinion.
Captain Falcon and Marth have totally different playstyles, yet it's pretty obvious who's better.

"It's down to opinion" is just a quick argument dodge. Of course either Lucas or Ness will be better. It's impossible for them to be perfectly equal.

Although they are VERY close.

Hardcorenesser

Smash Journeyman
Captain Falcon and Marth have totally different playstyles, yet it's pretty obvious who's better.

"It's down to opinion" is just a quick argument dodge. Of course either Lucas or Ness will be better. It's impossible for them to be perfectly equal.

Although they are VERY close.
who do you think is better? i go with both but it is hard to get used to their different styles. I prefer Lucas's disjointed hitboxes but i prefer Ness's power. I have decided to give up on neither. but i mainly play Lucas for now because of all his glitched recovery methods.

Ademisk

Smash Champion
Well, since the point of this topic is that Lucas being better than Ness doesn't make sense from a marketing standpoint, I'm going to address that.

Your entire argument is based on one thing: That Sakurai actually had anything to do with Lucas being better than Ness. It's not like developers come out and say "Oh, hey, you know what, I'm going to make this character better than this one, just for ****s and giggles. Doesn't that sound fun!?" He gave the characters some moves, he put them in a physics engine, I'm sure he tried to balance everything out the best he could, but in the end it comes out with certain characters being better than others, and there's nothing you, or he, can do about it.

Also, Ness owns face.

Dajayman

Banned via Administration
What I think is that it's all about personal choice. These are two completely different characters who have somewhat similar looking special moves. I prefer Ness over Lucas for a many reasons, the main reason being that I've enjoyed using Ness since N64 and even used him quite alot on Melee even being bottom tier. I LOVE his yoyo smashes, I hate it when people diss them, they work well for me and I'd prefer them over hard-hitting smashes. I also like the stunning/trapping effects of Ness's PKF to Lucas's PKF's one hit. And Lucas's PKT is weird to me since I am so used to PKT hitting them once and disappearing instead of going through them. PKM to me is just weird as an attack, so I could care less if Lucas's does damage, it should only be used to heal from energy projectiles from my view. I also definately prefer ALL of Ness's regular attacks to Lucas's, especially the bat over the stick. Who uses a tree branch to attack? A bat is just so much cooler, even if overall the bat is worse I don't care. I know most of my decisions are just based on my experience with Ness, but it's just how I feel and it's my style of gameplay. I'm sure people use Lucas for their reasons, probably they think the exact opposite of me. To me they are both balanced however, and it's just a matter of gamestyle to choose the "better" one.

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
I'm jealous of Lucas's PK Magnet. It freaking rocks.

Ness's is a complete joke in comparison.

inl

Smash Rookie
Honestly, Im going to have to say Lucas seems better.

PK thunder
-does doesn't dissipate on hit.
-Easier to control
-When Lucas is hit by it, it does 10% a hit on opponent.

Pk Magnet
- Does damage when released on opponent; possible to kill with.

Pk fire has great knock back, but i wont go as far as to say its better than Ness' there both pretty good..

As far as Pk Flash vs. Pk freeze, i think the both suck really in terms of usefulness, Pk Freeze just travels faster with the bonus of freezing, to bad to cant smash atk people out of it, thats why its pretty useless..IMO

Lucas has the tether recovery, which is always a plus.

Also, B-air spike, over D-air spike- anyday.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Lucas = Ness

I disagree with anyone who says Lucas' PKT > Ness'

Ness' PKT is faster, harder to dodge, and canjuggle. Lucas' cannot. It knocks them away. Good for edgeguarding, but that's all I use it for. Ness' has more mindgames due to his speed. When falling from a juggle, I sometimes let out PKT. My opponent sometimes thinks Im hitting myself down and airdodges early. I then bring PKT down and hit them, cancelling his juggle.

Also, just think, if they dodge Ness' PKT, you can whip it around and hit them. Lucas' is way too slow to do this. And when using Lucas. what if you hit them and they get out of the thunder ****? Lucas' is still concentrating and is open to attacks (this applied to edgeguarding as well). Ness however only has to hit once to snap out of it. And his faster thunder is easier to stage cancel should you miss.

For those of you who say its easier to control, you just need to get used to Ness'. Its just as easy to hit yourself IMO. Lucas' is just more newbie friendly. BTW, I said NEWBIE, not n00b, so Im not insulting you Lucas users.

On the subject of eating thunder, Lucas' thunder is almost as easy to gimp. Instead off just jumping into it like some would do to Ness, you can also hit it with an aerial and it will go away as if eaten. True, it is still harder to eat, making it a slight pro over Ness, but that is all that it is. A slight pro.

Lucas' PK Fire > Ness' with zap jumping, pseudo wavedashing, b-sticking. and striaght angle.
Ness' PK fire is still good though. I like b-sticking PK Fire when I ledge jump and grab the ledge again to fend off edgeguarders.

Lucas' PSI Magnet >>>> Ness'
Seriously. Idk what the game designers were thinking when they gave Lucas PSI magnet. Ness has absolutely NOTHING. Less healing, no power, equal in terms of defense (maybe if Lucas was as exposed as the animation made it look like they would be a bit more balanced) and less lag.

Ness PKT2 > Lucas
Its stronger, it has 1 big hit as opposed to many small ones finished with a decent one. Seriously, sometimes all the hits in Lucas' PKT wont connect, leaving the opponent by yourside and yourself very open. Ness' is always a guaranteed "get away" type move. And, you can floorblast it! Lucas' final hitbox is cancelled if ou try to floorblast with it, making it a very unreliable option. And I honestly have never found a situation in which I wished Ness' PKT2 was as long as Lucas. The blastzones seem spaced out JUST enough for Ness to be able to get back with his newfound sweetspot range. The only time I have found Lucas' PKT2 necessary for recovery is when I was at the VERY corner of the blastzone on FD, and this wasnt in a real match, it was training. If I let myself down there without double jumping or PKT2ing earlier, I deserve to die.

Ness' aerial game > Lucas'
Not saying Lucas' airgam is bad, but Ness' is just better. Almost EVERYTHING combos. The only exception is the dair which starts or finishes combos. Lucas' seem to be just "get outta my face" type aerials, meaning they knockback foes to the point where they dont combo well, but cannot KO. You can combo with them, just not as easily as Ness.

Ness' throws >>> Lucas'
Man... I throw people with Lucas and am like WTF all the time. His throws dont KO OR combo well. They all have too much knockback to combo, but not enough to kill! Im pretty sure his dthrow is his best kill throw, but thats in the mid 100s. And his uthrow feels... obsolete. His dthrow feels like an uthrow. The opponent goes WAY high. So it feels like Lucas lacks a dthrow, my favorite kind :(

Ness' dthrow hovever is a wonderful combo starter. His bthrow kills at 130, and could be even eariler depending on a few variables (position, opponent, etc.).

Lucas' ground game > Ness'
Again, not saying Ness is bad, just not as good. Lucas' dair and nair setup for his godly tilts which juggle and combo. Lucas' stick > Ness' bat with its even sweetspot, much greater speed, and ease of use. Sorry Ademisk, but I totally disagree with you here.

Usmashes IMO are on equals. True, Lucas' has just about the MOST powerful and angeful usmash in the game, but its SO **** SLOW!!! I NEED a fast usmash. Usmashes are IMO, the best kind because you can do them out of a dash and stright of of the shield. But if you wanna do that, its gotta be a fast usmash. Ness' is fast, with good (not as good as Lucas' though) range. It also feels like a shield when I lay it out in front of me because it cancels out attacks but still remains out. It starts combos and brings opponents onto Ness' turf: the air.

Dsmash, contrary to what most believe, I think goes to Ness. Lucas' is strong, but it feels too much like a fsmash hitting with immense power and only on 1 side (yes, I know it can hit behind him, but when it does, it is weak and comes late in the smash). I have never found a situation in which I have neede the dsmash over his stick.

Ness' has mindgames written all over it. Great for stopping rollers and hit people behind you for a quick surprise. If charged, it pulls them into the second hit. It will send opponents skyward again, to give Ness the airgame advantage. And the fact that you can mix this up with his usmash which comes out in front first then hits behind, it really throws off opponents since the dsmash comes from the back first, then forward.

Phew... man that was longer than I planned it to be. This isnt even all of my thought. I may post everything I think about the two sometime.

Zeke

Smash Apprentice
I have to agree with Earthbound360. The speed of Ness' PKT really places it ahead of Lucas' in terms of utility, at least for my playstyle and the the way I use it to set up/finish off combos.

One thing I AM a bit jealous of is Lucas' PSI Magnet. You just can't "shine" with Ness' PSI Magnet, so the "knockback" of it is not useful against good opponent.s

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Lucas = Ness

Ness' PKT is faster, harder to dodge, and canjuggle. Lucas' cannot. It knocks them away. Good for edgeguarding, but that's all I use it for. Ness' has more mindgames due to his speed. When falling from a juggle, I sometimes let out PKT. My opponent sometimes thinks Im hitting myself down and airdodges early. I then bring PKT down and hit them, cancelling his juggle.
Not really. Lucas's PK thunder can juggle just as well as Ness's, and unlike Ness's it actually combos and can KO people. A full pass-through with Lucas's PK thunder at low % can rack up about 30%, and at higher % the head of the PK thunder knocks them away. Unlike Ness's PK thunder, Lucas doesn't need to fire it again, meaning less time between hits.

Also, just think, if they dodge Ness' PKT, you can whip it around and hit them. Lucas' is way too slow to do this. And when using Lucas. what if you hit them and they get out of the thunder ****? Lucas' is still concentrating and is open to attacks (this applied to edgeguarding as well). Ness however only has to hit once to snap out of it. And his faster thunder is easier to stage cancel should you miss.
Also not true. Lucas's PK thunder turns faster and because it's slower, air dodging it will most likely just get you caught in the tail, which is huge for both PK thunders.

For those of you who say its easier to control, you just need to get used to Ness'. Its just as easy to hit yourself IMO. Lucas' is just more newbie friendly. BTW, I said NEWBIE, not n00b, so Im not insulting you Lucas users.

On the subject of eating thunder, Lucas' thunder is almost as easy to gimp. Instead off just jumping into it like some would do to Ness, you can also hit it with an aerial and it will go away as if eaten. True, it is still harder to eat, making it a slight pro over Ness, but that is all that it is. A slight pro.
Also figure that it turns at a sharper angle, meaning that you have a smaller window with which to attack it before you get the tail, which can't be canceled with a hit. So either way it's still a lot harder to hit Lucas's PK thunder than Ness's.

Dsmash, contrary to what most believe, I think goes to Ness. Lucas' is strong, but it feels too much like a fsmash hitting with immense power and only on 1 side (yes, I know it can hit behind him, but when it does, it is weak and comes late in the smash). I have never found a situation in which I have neede the dsmash over his stick.

What about the way this move hits bigger characters at low % for 30% since all hits land? And Ness's yo-yo is just as easy to punish if you block the initial hit at the back, if not moreso because he has no more hitboxes behind him, wheras Lucas has a small one.

Ness' has mindgames written all over it. Great for stopping rollers and hit people behind you for a quick surprise. If charged, it pulls them into the second hit. It will send opponents skyward again, to give Ness the airgame advantage. And the fact that you can mix this up with his usmash which comes out in front first then hits behind, it really throws off opponents since the dsmash comes from the back first, then forward.

Phew... man that was longer than I planned it to be. This isnt even all of my thought. I may post everything I think about the two sometime.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Okay NESSBOUNDER, I knew someone would bring up a good argument (or set of them lol), so, before I counter yours, lemme just remind you that this is just MY opinion.

Not really. Lucas's PK thunder can juggle just as well as Ness's, and unlike Ness's it actually combos and can KO people. A full pass-through with Lucas's PK thunder at low % can rack up about 30%, and at higher % the head of the PK thunder knocks them away. Unlike Ness's PK thunder, Lucas doesn't need to fire it again, meaning less time between hits.
I disagree. Lucas' thunder seems to hit them more sideways, making it easier for them to dodge and shortening the juggle since juggling is defined as repeatedly skyrocketing a foe with moves that send them upwards.

True, PKT for Lucas CAN KO and rack up immense damage for a projectile of that kind of ability, but so can Ness', just not to as great of an extent. If you juggle a foe well, the damage can really add up since they get knocked pretty high at higher damages. KOing with PKT is not realy good for Ness, but it can KO a Mario in the upper 100s at the top of the screen.

Also not true. Lucas's PK thunder turns faster and because it's slower, air dodging it will most likely just get you caught in the tail, which is huge for both PK thunders.
Yeah, but remember, it knocks them more sideways than up, making DIing out easier, or at least, hitting them harder. And when I said "dodge" I didnt only mean airdodge, but just moving away also. Lucas' thunder just doesnt seem to chase DIing foes as well as Ness' does. I believe PKT for Ness falls faster than most foes at normal speed, an even some during their fast fall.

Also figure that it turns at a sharper angle, meaning that you have a smaller window with which to attack it before you get the tail, which can't be canceled with a hit. So either way it's still a lot harder to hit Lucas's PK thunder than Ness's.
When you say "window" are you referring to time or area? Because, somewhere Ive heard that it takes just as long for Ness to PKT2 as long as Lucas becuase thought the circle is smaller, the thunder is slower.

What about the way this move hits bigger characters at low % for 30% since all hits land? And Ness's yo-yo is just as easy to punish if you block the initial hit at the back, if not moreso because he has no more hitboxes behind him, wheras Lucas has a small one.
Idk, I always feel safer using his stick. Its speed is just too wonderful. Every time I try a dsmash, it gets shielded. And for Ness' case, if you do shield the yo-yo from the back, I'll just keep charging it. Its pretty amazing what people do sometimes. Sometimes they sit there and let it eat their shield, sometimes they release their shield and get hit, and sometimes they roll in front of me to get hit by the front.

Oh, and one more thing, you quoted the last part of my comparison, but never argued against it :p

NKCell

Smash Cadet
I like Ness' yoyo a lot better than Lucas' smashes. There's more utility to the moves. The dsmash you can pull out quickly after a roll, and you can turn rather fast too. When I'm up close with an opponent, and they try to roll away, I like rolling after them, quickly turning out of my roll (I just buffer the turn) and then downsmash. It's fast and it keeps the opponent off his feet. It bothers me so much that Lucas' downsmash doesn't hit behind him (at least fairly early into the move).

Conda

Ness's PK Thunder kills too, it's just harder to use. Lucas's is easy because the direction the thudner is going = the direction they get sent.
Lucas's PK thunder is worse at everything else. Ness's tail > Lucas's PKT.
It's obviously still awesome, but ask anyone who has played against both a Ness and a Lucas and they'll say they hate getting hit by and dodging Ness's lightning fast (pun!) and juggling PK Thunder.
Heck, PKT tail to PKT2 alone gives Ness's PKT a heads up over Lucas's.

cHooKay

Smash Journeyman
Yeah pretty much sucks how lucas is far more superior than ness. After playing Earthbound and Mother 3, this really contradicts the legitness of sakurai's sense of consistency transitioning on bringing characters to brawl. I mean come on, at least make Ness' final smash PK Rockin, and PK Flash should give characters some kind of status change like a flower or slower speed. Oh and whoever said that Ness PK Magnet push effect is better than lucas' PK magnet needs to stop playing brawl. Ness PK magnet push is as useful as marios old tornado from melee in terms as being an attack which was pretty much useless. All in all, this really sucks...

PKboy89

Smash Journeyman
A lotta people have good arguments but Ness's PSI magnet push effect better then Lucas's magnet stun and knockback? I dunno what game you been playing but you can do so much with Lucas's magnet knockback, you can even kill with it at higher percentages and negates characters with energy projectiles from short hopping projectiles towards you...you get healed and they get damaged...

Slike

Smash Cadet
Wow... The bat OWNS the stick.

I was thinking of doing a Ness/Lucas comparison because I'm bored. Think I should?
Would you rather be hit in the head with a bat, or a stick? Yeah, I thought so.

Anyway, Lucas seems better at first, but learn ness's moves, and BAM.

What I want to argue with, is WHY THE HECK IS LUCAS FASTER? I read on Wikipedia that Lucas is always the last one in your team to attack due to low speed. Now honestly, PK barrage, and that big up explosion. That's all he's got that's as slow as it should be, but honestly, Nes should be the fast one. Plus, I hate Lucas's pansy voice. >.>

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
From running away so much :p

No really, speed in this game considers more than just running speed. Ness in the air is faster than Lucas IMO. But Lucas has a beatiful ability to lead his nair or dair into a utilt which always works quickly.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
The reason I can't use Lucas well yet is because I haven't played Mother 3 yet. Once the fan translation is done and I beat the game, I'll probably pick Lucas and be a lot better with him. I just need emotional attachment to my characters to be good with them. Sounds like I'm lying but its true. Heh.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
I don't see what the point of comparing move-by-move is. To understand a move, you have to realize how it stands in relation to the whole set of moves that the one character has. It doesn't matter to Lucas what Ness' PK Thunder can do. It does matter to Lucas how, say, his moves can be complemented by using PK Fire, allowing you to improve the way in which you integrate those moves into the thing that is your playstyle - the objective, remember, being to make that playstyle a superior (i.e., game-winning) one.

Now, if you want to point out contrasts just to start to know the two, (e.g., the differences with the bat), that's all fine. But I see no point in making judgments like Lucas.PKT > Ness.PKT.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
I don't see what the point of comparing move-by-move is. To understand a move, you have to realize how it stands in relation to the whole set of moves that the one character has. It doesn't matter to Lucas what Ness' PK Thunder can do. It does matter to Lucas how, say, his moves can be complemented by using PK Fire, allowing you to improve the way in which you integrate those moves into the thing that is your playstyle - the objective, remember, being to make that playstyle a superior (i.e., game-winning) one.

Now, if you want to point out contrasts just to start to know the two, (e.g., the differences with the bat), that's all fine. But I see no point in making judgments like Lucas.PKT > Ness.PKT.
They're both PK thunders and they both serve pretty much the same purpose. If you got Ness's PK thunder and gave it to Lucas, they'd still be used very much the same way. It doesn't compliment any other move or anything like that, it's just PK thunder. And Lucas's PK thunder is better.

Ness's PK Thunder2 is better.

Either character could use these moves to just the same purpose.

And it works with pretty much any other move comparison too. Lucario's Ftilt is BETTER than Jigglypuff's Ftilt. It has loads of range, excellent damage, excellent priority, a double disjointed hitbox, and is fast and relatively lagless. If Jigglypuff had Lucario's ftilt, she could use it much the same way and it would be superior over her own Ftilt.

It gets more difficult when you compare more specialised moves, say Lucario's Fair with Jigglypuff's Fair. Lucario's has more priority, speed and range, but Jigglypuff's KOes. Lucario's Fair WOULD be better, if it weren't for the fact that Jigglypuff has better air control.

But for Lucas and Ness, it's not the case.

Smashbros_7

Smash Ace
No, I fully agree. I may in fact pick up Lucas as a second once I play Mother 3. But Ir efuse to play him until then.
You've never played as Lucas before? EVER?

Tell me you played as the whole roster at LEAST once.:dizzy:

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I personally prefer Ness over Lucas; I like both, but not only am I better with Ness, but he feels better. And despite the fact that PK Flash is totally impossible to land, I still try to. :laugh:

Also, in regards to PSI Magnet, not that it's completely useful anyways, but Ness's, when you release it, pushes anyone close to you away (it acts sort of like water). I've never noticed this when actually fighting, but in the Wi-Fi Waiting Room, try a PSI Magnet right on top of Sandbag--he gets pushed back.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
^^^
Its saved me today. I was absorbing Dins fire spam, Zelda stops and tries to fsmash me at aout 130, she gets pushed away, and I escape safely.

Okay, Ness' PSI magnet wind effect isnt really a pro over Lucas since his hitbox is WAAAYYYY more useful than the wind.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
^^^
Its saved me today. I was absorbing Dins fire spam, Zelda stops and tries to fsmash me at aout 130, she gets pushed away, and I escape safely.

Okay, Ness' PSI magnet wind effect isnt really a pro over Lucas since his hitbox is WAAAYYYY more useful than the wind.
Really? I guess the wind effect is one of those effects of moves that you know exists but never actually get to use it, and then once or twice in your lifetime it saves you, if you know what I mean.

That's true, it's not really an advantage over damage-dealing, but at least it can come in handy sometimes.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Really? I guess the wind effect is one of those effects of moves that you know exists but never actually get to use it, and then once or twice in your lifetime it saves you, if you know what I mean.

That's true, it's not really an advantage over damage-dealing, but at least it can come in handy sometimes.
I figure the way it will come into play is that it alllows you to more liberally activate the magnet when you are only anticipating an energy attack, from say Falco or Fox. You can turn it on if you guess they'll shoot you, and if you're wrong, *and they come at you on the ground*, you can turn off the magnet and repel them.

But if they come at you in the air, it's no good. So that's what it's worth.

PK Flash isn't impossible to land. If you try to land it because "OH HAI this will do gud dmg," it's never gonna work. Sure, it rarely applies, but the move is still there, and it mostly prevents people from abusing Ness in certain ways. That is. sort of like PSI magnet for the computers, this move's mere existence just means people won't walk at you in a certain way because they know you could pull off a PK Flash, and that hurts, so instead their options are reduced - but you never actually use PK Flash. The trouble is it's hard to get practice.

Also ledge guarding. But again, not even all the time. Rather than hit people coming from below, I see its use as forcing people to go into strange arcs when they come at you from above - if they have bad DI. Suppose, say, you're fighting Dedede on Smashville, particularly when the platform is between you and him. He's just at the top of the screen. You pull PK Flash. Navigate it (and time it) so that he can't go for the ledge, and he can't go straight down for you, but has to go a ways behind you. You then release the PK Flash, and you may not hit him, but you made him move.

I wish I could just impress on you my experience with the move. There's only so much language can express...

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
PK Flash isn't impossible to land. If you try to land it because "OH HAI this will do gud dmg," it's never gonna work. Sure, it rarely applies, but the move is still there, and it mostly prevents people from abusing Ness in certain ways. That is. sort of like PSI magnet for the computers, this move's mere existence just means people won't walk at you in a certain way because they know you could pull off a PK Flash, and that hurts, so instead their options are reduced - but you never actually use PK Flash. The trouble is it's hard to get practice.

Also ledge guarding. But again, not even all the time. Rather than hit people coming from below, I see its use as forcing people to go into strange arcs when they come at you from above - if they have bad DI. Suppose, say, you're fighting Dedede on Smashville, particularly when the platform is between you and him. He's just at the top of the screen. You pull PK Flash. Navigate it (and time it) so that he can't go for the ledge, and he can't go straight down for you, but has to go a ways behind you. You then release the PK Flash, and you may not hit him, but you made him move.

I wish I could just impress on you my experience with the move. There's only so much language can express...
I know what you mean, I was joking about it being impossible to land, I meant it's pretty difficult to land. I also understand what you mean about forcing your opponent to move in odd fashions because of the potential of PK Flash. Thanks for the specific instances, I can use those as tips of how to use it in the future.

Spam is the wrong word, but I unlike most, I use PK Flash whenever I can. Even if you press B and let go immediately, it's a pretty solid move, so I like to use it.

Digital Watches

Smash Ace
Er. The main flaw with the OP of this topic is as follows:

Game designers have no effing clue what they're doing when creating characters, let alone in Brawl. Who is better than who will never and has never been up to the game's designers, whether they try to control it or not.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Er. The main flaw with the OP of this topic is as follows:

Game designers have no effing clue what they're doing when creating characters, let alone in Brawl. Who is better than who will never and has never been up to the game's designers, whether they try to control it or not.
Dude, they try really hard to balance these characters.
I think you don't know how hard it is to keep from screwing up.

The apparent seamlessness of the balance (at least in the initial stages of the game) is only testament to all their efforts during development.

To playtest every matchup takes order n squared time. Polynomial time is slow. And they only have so many years to do it - you know they have to make the game functional first.

Eventually, invariably, disparities become apparent in high level play. But that's just because we have more time than they do. Plus, the competitive community outputs more games per second than any dev team.
Give them some credit. If they "had no effing clue what they were doing," there'd be a tier list on day seven and a Brawl science on day fifteen.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Ness's pk thuder is better, but ok.
It most certainly is not. Because of its speed, I have opponents air dodging it all the time. I don't get that problem with Lucas.

It can be used for a nice edgeguard though if you spin it in a figure 8 over the ledge. You'll tailwhip the opponent off the ledge and make them face the other direction, lol.

Also, I LOVE PK Flash. I use it much the same way I use PK thunder to cover me from above. Because it comes out so fast and you can hold it to bait people into air dodging and then release it just when they finish. And because it ends as SOON as it activates, unlike PK thunder which can leave you open when it's air dodged. Also, it can't be canceled out by other attacks. Whenever the opponent is high above me beyond the point of safe PK Thunder harrassment, I just throw out a PK Flash and watch as they divert their falling course to avoid it.

Digital Watches

Smash Ace
Dude, they try really hard to balance these characters.
I think you don't know how hard it is to keep from screwing up.

The apparent seamlessness of the balance (at least in the initial stages of the game) is only testament to all their efforts during development.

To playtest every matchup takes order n squared time. Polynomial time is slow. And they only have so many years to do it - you know they have to make the game functional first.

Eventually, invariably, disparities become apparent in high level play. But that's just because we have more time than they do. Plus, the competitive community outputs more games per second than any dev team.
Give them some credit. If they "had no effing clue what they were doing," there'd be a tier list on day seven and a Brawl science on day fifteen.
Calm down. :laugh:

I'm not saying there isn't a lot of work and effort going into the game, all I'm saying is that largely BECAUSE of the difficulties you just mentioned, there's absolutely no way any game designer could playtest a game for long enough and with enough people to figure out all the b/s that people are going to discover about various characters, the physics engine of the game, or even general strategic things. Brawl being so complex a project only makes this more true. So all I'm saying is that I would stake large amounts of money that there was no big developer's meeting where they sat down and planned out which characters would be better than other ones, and even if there was, how good various characters actually ARE is not going to have tons to do with it in the end game, or even a few months out, unless they made some pretty terrible decisions and sacrificed complexity in order to pidgeonhole a designer-mandated tierlist, which is such a bad idea that even the worst game designers wouldn't do it, let alone a reputable and experienced dev team as the one that no doubt worked on this game.

tl;dr version: Balance is often a crapshoot, so assuming creator's intent is counterproductive. Not a negative commentary on the game design, just a fact of the business.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Lucas = Ness

Lucas' PK Fire > Ness' with zap jumping, pseudo wavedashing, b-sticking. and striaght angle.
Ness' PK fire is still good though. I like b-sticking PK Fire when I ledge jump and grab the ledge again to fend off edgeguarders.

Lucas' PSI Magnet >>>> Ness'
Seriously. Idk what the game designers were thinking when they gave Lucas PSI magnet. Ness has absolutely NOTHING. Less healing, no power, equal in terms of defense (maybe if Lucas was as exposed as the animation made it look like they would be a bit more balanced) and less lag.

Ness PKT2 > Lucas
Its stronger, it has 1 big hit as opposed to many small ones finished with a decent one. Seriously, sometimes all the hits in Lucas' PKT wont connect, leaving the opponent by yourside and yourself very open. Ness' is always a guaranteed "get away" type move. And, you can floorblast it! Lucas' final hitbox is cancelled if ou try to floorblast with it, making it a very unreliable option. And I honestly have never found a situation in which I wished Ness' PKT2 was as long as Lucas. The blastzones seem spaced out JUST enough for Ness to be able to get back with his newfound sweetspot range. The only time I have found Lucas' PKT2 necessary for recovery is when I was at the VERY corner of the blastzone on FD, and this wasnt in a real match, it was training. If I let myself down there without double jumping or PKT2ing earlier, I deserve to die.

Ness' aerial game > Lucas'
Not saying Lucas' airgam is bad, but Ness' is just better. Almost EVERYTHING combos. The only exception is the dair which starts or finishes combos. Lucas' seem to be just "get outta my face" type aerials, meaning they knockback foes to the point where they dont combo well, but cannot KO. You can combo with them, just not as easily as Ness.

Ness' throws >>> Lucas'
Man... I throw people with Lucas and am like WTF all the time. His throws dont KO OR combo well. They all have too much knockback to combo, but not enough to kill! Im pretty sure his dthrow is his best kill throw, but thats in the mid 100s. And his uthrow feels... obsolete. His dthrow feels like an uthrow. The opponent goes WAY high. So it feels like Lucas lacks a dthrow, my favorite kind :(

Ness' dthrow hovever is a wonderful combo starter. His bthrow kills at 130, and could be even eariler depending on a few variables (position, opponent, etc.).

Lucas' ground game > Ness'
Again, not saying Ness is bad, just not as good. Lucas' dair and nair setup for his godly tilts which juggle and combo. Lucas' stick > Ness' bat with its even sweetspot, much greater speed, and ease of use. Sorry Ademisk, but I totally disagree with you here.

Usmashes IMO are on equals. True, Lucas' has just about the MOST powerful and angeful usmash in the game, but its SO **** SLOW!!! I NEED a fast usmash. Usmashes are IMO, the best kind because you can do them out of a dash and stright of of the shield. But if you wanna do that, its gotta be a fast usmash. Ness' is fast, with good (not as good as Lucas' though) range. It also feels like a shield when I lay it out in front of me because it cancels out attacks but still remains out. It starts combos and brings opponents onto Ness' turf: the air.

Me agree, and I like Ness overall because of his air game and throw game (man, Ness' bair is sickly, as is almost all of his aereals). And I like his PKT2.

Oh yeah, and the "flash bait" works well, as it gives them little option when they land, but don't use it EVER for attacking (unless they is incredibly stupid):p.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
^^^
I made that a while back and I need to change some of that now.

Ness PKT = Lucas'

Lucas' dsmash>Ness

Ness has more range on PSI magnet

My thread is almost done guys!!!

Conda

Funny how people see lucas as generally = to Ness now. All the hype died down for little ol' lucas. The only reason people have him lower than lucas is cause Marth's CG owns us more.

Top Bottom