• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I can't believe it. And we didn't even need shadow science this time!!
Meanwhile on /r/smashbros people are freaking out because Waluigi's Assist Trophy wasn't in the demo even though it was shown off in the Direct. I'm so glad I'm not a Waluigi fan.

IronTed

Smash Ace
I have a question for everyone. An argument for Ridley's inclusion was that Metroid needed more representation besides Samus, and because Ridley is the next most important Metroid character by far, he satisfies that need. Now that Ridley is playable, are there any other Metroid characters you want to see playable, or are you satisfied with the current lineup?

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
I don’t think there is any doubt that online mode will be added if you ask me.

Keeshu

Smash Ace
I have a question for everyone. An argument for Ridley's inclusion was that Metroid needed more representation besides Samus, and because Ridley is the next most important Metroid character by far, he satisfies that need. Now that Ridley is playable, are there any other Metroid characters you want to see playable, or are you satisfied with the current lineup?
I think there could be room for Dark Samus, especially if Dark Samus returns for Metroid Prime 4. I haven't played Metroid Prime 3 yet, but I loved the heck out of Dark Samus in Metroid Prime 2. Not as an echo fighter though, Dark Samus has to be based on the moves Dark Samus has in the games since Dark Samus is nothing like Samus in terms of attacks.

Sylux is another possibility because they've teased him twice for doing something big in Metroid Prime 4.

Outside of that pretty much every character is a one shot character since Samus just can't stop blowing up planets. I want Dark Samus a lot and I feel that Dark Samus should probably be in because Dark Samus is so important to the Metroid Prime series, and a lot of people love Metroid Prime to death. Sylux I don't really care much about cause I haven't played any game he's in but he looks like he could be interesting. Though I still doubt Sylux would be as interesting or important as Dark Samus.

OmegaX5000

Smash Journeyman
I think there could be room for Dark Samus, especially if Dark Samus returns for Metroid Prime 4. I haven't played Metroid Prime 3 yet, but I loved the heck out of Dark Samus in Metroid Prime 2. Not as an echo fighter though, Dark Samus has to be based on the moves Dark Samus has in the games since Dark Samus is nothing like Samus in terms of attacks.

Sylux is another possibility because they've teased him twice for doing something big in Metroid Prime 4.

Outside of that pretty much every character is a one shot character since Samus just can't stop blowing up planets. I want Dark Samus a lot and I feel that Dark Samus should probably be in because Dark Samus is so important to the Metroid Prime series, and a lot of people love Metroid Prime to death. Sylux I don't really care much about cause I haven't played any game he's in but he looks like he could be interesting. Though I still doubt Sylux would be as interesting or important as Dark Samus.
I have my doubts about Dark Samus returning in Prime 4 because...

At the end of Metroid Prime 3, Samus blows up planet Phaaze, which is the source of all Phazon in the universe. By destroying the planet, all Phazon in the universe was destroyed as well, including whatever was left of Dark Samus after the "climactic" battle between the Samus and Dark Samus. I put climactic in quotes because it was basically a one-sided fight in Samus' favor, thanks to the OP Hyper-Mode that she's forced into during her trip to Phaaze. It's essentially god mode for Samus, especially after having fully upgraded it.

Aside from that, I'd like to see Dark Samus appear as well, but it seems like a 50/50 chance to me on whether DS is an echo fighter or has a unique moveset. But man, it would be awesome if we got both of the major recurring villains of Metroid in this game!

IronTed

Smash Ace
I have my doubts about Dark Samus returning in Prime 4 because...

At the end of Metroid Prime 3, Samus blows up planet Phaaze, which is the source of all Phazon in the universe. By destroying the planet, all Phazon in the universe was destroyed as well, including whatever was left of Dark Samus after the "climactic" battle between the Samus and Dark Samus. I put climactic in quotes because it was basically a one-sided fight in Samus' favor, thanks to the OP Hyper-Mode that she's forced into during her trip to Phaaze. It's essentially god mode for Samus, especially after having fully upgraded it.

Aside from that, I'd like to see Dark Samus appear as well, but it seems like a 50/50 chance to me on whether DS is an echo fighter or has a unique moveset. But man, it would be awesome if we got both of the major recurring villains of Metroid in this game!
A couple years ago Tanabe was interviewed about FF, as well as about a hypothetical Prime 4. He straight confirmed Dark Samus and Phazon are finished, so there is little doubt to what you are saying.

Personally, I think Dark Samus is playable this time, earlier in this thread it was briefly discussed. Whether she's a fully separate character, an echo fighter, or an assist trophy, I'm cool either way. But I must admit, getting a fourth Metroid rep would be really cool.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I haven't posted here before, but with Ridley officially joining the fray, I have been trying to think about how his custom specials could operate, assuming that they're coming back...
  • Neutral Special
    • Custom 1: Ridley spits out a single fireball that takes longer to charge. The fully charged fireball deals greater damage, but the backfire penalty is also more severe.
    • Custom 2: Charges faster, but the fireballs deal flinchless damage, and are less damaging as a whole. The backfire penalty is also less severe than normal.
  • Side Special
    • Custom 1: Instead of dragging his grabbed target, Ridley would slam the target onto the ground before releasing. The damage output is more consistent with this attack.
    • Custom 2: Ridley slashes his target while advancing forward. Does not grab anyone, however, so it can be blocked.
  • Up Special
    • Custom 1: Flight distance is increased, but Ridley will only travel straight up.
    • Custom 2: Deals greater damage to opponents upon hitting them, but the flight distance is reduced.
  • Down Special
    • Custom 1: Start-up is reduced, but the sweetspot deals much less damage than normal.
    • Custom 2: The tail's sweetspot becomes unblockable, but the start-up is also longer. Ridley also receives super armor to compensate for the increased start-up lag.

Last edited:

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
I haven't posted here before, but with Ridley officially joining the fray, I have been trying to think about how his custom specials could operate, assuming that they're coming back...
  • Neutral Special
    • Custom 1: Ridley spits out a single fireball that takes longer to charge. The fully charged fireball deals greater damage, but the backfire penalty is also more severe.
    • Custom 2: Charges faster, but the fireballs deal flinchless damage, and are less damaging as a whole. The backfire penalty is also less severe than normal.
  • Side Special
    • Custom 1: Instead of dragging his grabbed target, Ridley would slam the target onto the ground before releasing. The damage output is more consistent with this attack.
    • Custom 2: Ridley slashes his target while advancing forward. Does not grab anyone, however, so it can be blocked.
  • Up Special
    • Custom 1: Flight distance is increased, but Ridley will only travel straight up.
    • Custom 2: Deals greater damage to opponents upon hitting them, but the flight distance is reduced.
  • Down Special
    • Custom 1: Start-up is reduced, but the sweetspot deals much less damage than normal.
    • Custom 2: The tail's sweetspot becomes unblockable, but the start-up is also longer. Ridley also receives super armor to compensate for the increased start-up lag.
I believe customs are gone according to treehouse. Nice speculation though.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I believe customs are gone according to treehouse. Nice speculation though.
We don't know for certain though. If I recall correctly, Smash Wii U's E3 2014 build didn't have customizations either. It's possible that the custom specials may still be in development, which can explain their absence from Smash Ultimate's E3 build.

Only the next set of months will determine the fate of the custom special moves, but one thing could secure their return; the Custom Part item shows up in one of the Smash Ultimate screenshots.

Danpal65

Smash Lord
We don't know for certain though. If I recall correctly, Smash Wii U's E3 2014 build didn't have customizations either. It's possible that the custom specials may still be in development, which can explain their absence from Smash Ultimate's E3 build.

Only the next set of months will determine the fate of the custom special moves, but one thing could secure their return; the Custom Part item shows up in one of the Smash Ultimate screenshots.
I think it's less their absence and more the fact that they said they got rid of them when talking about Palutena

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I think it's less their absence and more the fact that they said they got rid of them when talking about Palutena
I don't think Palutena's special move adjustments are enough evidence to confirm that the custom specials are gone. For all we know, she could have custom variants of her new specials, but they're still in development.

Anyway, all that we can do is wait for more news from Sakurai; only his words can confirm the fate of customizations.

OmegaX5000

Smash Journeyman
I don't think Palutena's special move adjustments are enough evidence to confirm that the custom specials are gone. For all we know, she could have custom variants of her new specials, but they're still in development.

Anyway, all that we can do is wait for more news from Sakurai; only his words can confirm the fate of customizations.
If they do bring back custom movesets, I hope they are unlocked differently than in Smash 4. I even had a suggestion on how to improve the process of unlocking custom moves that I posted to a video on improving Smash Bros going forward. I'll just quote that comment right here:

I feel that there should be a Custom Move Shop, much like how there's a Trophy Shop in Smash 4. It lists all the custom moves for every character you currently have unlocked, and it would give a preview mode where you can test out each custom move before buying it. This way, you'd know which custom moves you like and be able to decide on whether or not you actually want to get that move. Each time you'd unlock a new character, their custom moves are added to the shop. Also, just to make sure you can't get everything right from the get-go, each custom move would cost a lot of coins, maybe around 10,000 coins each? Doing this would give more use for the coins they award you after matches and the various minigames, which would further incentivize the player to play more minigames/matches.

At the very least, I find this method to be more reliable than the random chance of unlocking them in Smash 4. I was only able to unlock all of them in the 3DS version because of HOME buffering on the roulette wheel before each match in Classic mode. Abusing the systems HOME menu button should NEVER be a reliable way to unlock things in any game by the way!

Oh, and once purchased, that custom move is out of stock, so no pointless repeats like in Smash 4. I can't tell you how many times I got repeats of Captain Falcon's moves AFTER having unlocked all of his moves, and he was the first character I unlocked all the moves for! And that was happening even when I was down to my last character! XD

So yeah, that's my take on custom moves, which were obnoxious to unlock on the 3DS version. I don't think I even finished unlocking them all on the Wii U version, now that I think of it!

BornWinner

Smash Rookie
Hey guys. This is my first post here on this site. Don't think I will ever do it again, but I have to do it now because we have clearer footage of Ridley's victory theme!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcWzkNO9s0g

Not really much of a Metroid fan so I can't tell what it is. Anyway that's it and great job on finally getting your character in!

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Hey guys. This is my first post here on this site. Don't think I will ever do it again, but I have to do it now because we have clearer footage of Ridley's victory theme!

Not really much of a Metroid fan so I can't tell what it is. Anyway that's it and great job on finally getting your character in!
After hearing it a couple of times, I still hear Samus' fanfare/theme.

RetroMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
retrog97
Well, originally I really wanted Dark Samus as a playable character, but now that Riddles is in, I don't need her as much anymore. I think the current Metroid lineup is pretty solid now. ...But I wouldn't mind it if Dark Samus got promoted to playable as a semi-clone. (I'll be alright if she's an assist again, though.)

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Just wanted to give you guys a (rather late) congratulations.

You fought for years and never gave up hope, and that got you your favorite Space Pirate as a result.

His inclusion still feels a little unreal, I must admit.

TheWozny

Smash Ace
NNID
Woznito
I would advise people watch D1 play Ridley on Nakat's channel, he looks like the only competent gameplay of him we have.

And he looks bretty guuuddddd

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
The fact that Ridley is actually finally in Smash still feels a bit surreal to me even a few days later. I had all but given up on hope for the character's chances after Smash 4, when Sakurai made his (current) stance on the character crystal clear.

I may not have been an active supporter for Ridley between that point and up until his reveal, but I always wanted the guy to be apart of the Smash family and join the roster. That never changed. It's wonderful that he finally gets to be apart of that and the fans can finally play as him. So looking forward to playing him in the released game!

D

Deleted member

It's been a hot minute since I've posted here.

Went to E3 this year, and I got to play 8 matches of Ultimate, 2 of which were with Ridley. IMO he might be my favorite heavy character they've ever made, everything about him just feels right.

StormC

Smash Hero
There’s nobody else who really warrants it - Dark Samus could be an echo (heh) but that’s it.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
reunion.png

xD If I could do a longer comic, they are many more thing Rids would have said to their face. Especially to Mother.

StormC

Smash Hero
It's been a hot minute since I've posted here.

Went to E3 this year, and I got to play 8 matches of Ultimate, 2 of which were with Ridley. IMO he might be my favorite heavy character they've ever made, everything about him just feels right.
How heavy would you say he is compared to other characters - or at least Smash 4?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Nah, we need to get Kraid in Next,

He's not too big. It sucks he's just a stage hazard.

Check out Kraid in Metroid 1

He's smaller than Samus

Oh, and what's this in Super Metroid

Perfect size for smash

Last edited:

Hidan

Smash Apprentice
Nah, we need to get Kraid in Next,

He's not too big. It sucks he's just a stage hazard.

Check out Kraid in Metroid 1

He's smaller than Samus

Oh, and what's this in Super Metroid

Perfect size for smash
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that a Kraidling/spawn of Kraid versus being Kraid itself?

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

Thanks, I was looking for this.

A bit surprised they didn't go the easy route and just use Ridley's theme as a base, but it sounds pretty good from what I'm hearing of it. It has that creepy and sinister tone that fits Ridley so well.

GAINAX

Smash Journeyman
Aa a King K Rool supporter, I just wanted to say congratz to you guys. It's nice to have some decent representation for one of Nintendo's most iconic gaming franchises. This Ridley announcement, plus a number of assist trophies and stages should hopefully bring in a new era of Meroid fans.

Now if only Sakurai could do the same for Donkey Kong...

D

Deleted member

Hi there.

It's been a while since my last visit in the Smash 4 Rildey thread.

I'm late to the party as I've been looking to Smash Ultimate stuff non-stop since its reveal, and also because I admitedly lost parts of my speculative spirit, but I wanted to share how happy I am that we finally got Ridley playable.

He may not have been among my top wanted newcomers (that title goes to Shulk back in Smash 4's era, and to pretty Shantae now), but I still feel delighted that us Metroid fans have finally came through that long and dark time which initiated since Other M's release, and that the franchise is promised to a new and brightful future.

And I also can't wait to choose Ridley first everytime I'll go in For Glory.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton

Seeing Ridley get beat up by a bunch of Cuccos is possibly the greatest thing I've ever seen.

Even the fearsome space pirate Ridley must obey the one rule of Hyrule. NEVER ATTACK THE CUCCO

Top Bottom