• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
that whole atmosphere must have been creepy but enchanting

but as a person who’s pretty young (late teenage years) im still surprised whenever i realize that an old internet existed with games of the past being treated like ultimate and odyssey. i cant even imagine what it would be like. i find it so fascinating
The internet back then was kinda different. Sites looked a lot less corporate-y and more ...Songs that started playing when you entered the site and had repeated animated gifs as patterns in the background. With various text colors on the site.

We had a computer day in 1998, when I was in 5th grade and I remember spending the day on the 56K modem looking up information about Mario RPG. Which at the point wasn't a new game but one I was still interested in. I didn't actually get to own the game until 1999 or 2000. Which I already had an N64 at that point.

Fam c'mon that's not a new idea. K. Rool as an AT would be better than *nothing* obviously, but we've been fighting almost as long as Ridley fans for this, and usually have eachother's backs. We're trying to get our character the representation he deserves just like the Space Pirates were.

Is someone saying "I think Ridley would be better as an AT" a new idea? Nah.

ATs are basically death sentences.
I don't know if that's really true. I don't remember K Rool being a big choice before Brawl. Just before Smash 4

Regardless I've been hoping for K Rool since the DKC series is one of my favorites.

Last edited:

ridleystan

Smash Cadet
Fam c'mon that's not a new idea. K. Rool as an AT would be better than *nothing* obviously, but we've been fighting almost as long as Ridley fans for this, and usually have eachother's backs. We're trying to get our character the representation he deserves just like the Space Pirates were.

Is someone saying "I think Ridley would be better as an AT" a new idea? Nah.

ATs are basically death sentences.
oh i was making a joke since i was quoting kanye, my bad. and it’s just my opinion.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Actually it's kind of funny if Japan's reaction was "But where is K Rool?"

Because during the pre Brawl days, the biggest argument people had against K Rool was "Japan doesn't like K Rool. K Rool isn't even considered the same character between games in japan"

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
The internet back then was kinda different. Sites looked a lot less corporate-y and more ...Songs that started playing when you entered the site and had repeated animated gifs as patterns in the background. With various text colors on the site.

We had a computer day in 1998, when I was in 5th grade and I remember spending the day on the 56K modem looking up information about Mario RPG. Which at the point wasn't a new game but one I was still interested in. I didn't actually get to own the game until 1999 or 2000. Which I already had an N64 at that point.

I don't know if that's really true. I don't remember K Rool being a big choice before Brawl. Just before Smash 4

Regardless I've been hoping for K Rool since the DKC series is one of my favorites.
We were definitely fighting back then, just not as hard. We were obviously in a better place as a series since we just got Diddy; I didn’t say we fought *as* long, of course, but many of us were fighting for the King in Brawl. We were Kremling Power back then instead of the Kutthroats.

StormC

Smash Hero
Gold Ridley is a reference to the boss statues in Super, isn't it?

Normal, Super boxart, Ridley X (Fusion), Zero Mission art, NES sprite, Super statue, ???, and Brawl. Any idea if ??? is anything? Robo-Ridley nod?

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
We were definitely fighting back then, just not as hard. We were obviously in a better place as a series since we just got Diddy; I didn’t say we fought *as* long, of course, but many of us were fighting for the King in Brawl. We were Kremling Power back then instead of the Kutthroats.
https://smashboards.com/threads/kin...-recruiting-people-for-kremling-power.126104/

Yeah, and who is that posted on the first page of the support thread. (AND on the last page)

Yet, somehow I'm not on the supporter list

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Imagine if Mario Maker gets a port

and tapping Ridley's amiibo in

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Gold Ridley is a reference to the boss statues in Super, isn't it?
The blue wingspan and the lack of red eyes definitely points towards it being a Charizard recolor imo. I would really have liked a golden statue recolor though.

Also, the newcomers speculation forum feels so empty without a Ridley thread :p

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
After looking at so much footage of SmUsh Ridley, I really want to port him to PM with Mario as his base, but I don't even have enough time to finish my own stuff and it just tears me apart because their Ridley looks so cool...
Although I'm not entirely sold on his Down B. It seems kinda gimmicky even if it does look nice.

I've just noticed that his right wing clips through his arm, but it's understandable with that pose. There's just no way to make him flap his wings when his torso is rotated like this.

Last edited:

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
idk, I don't think I would consider Ridley's down-b a gimmick. As it stands, you hit somebody with that thing at the sweetspot range and it's mondo damage + a crumple state, which leads to a free follow-up of your choice. You gotta respect it.

Smooth Criminal

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I wonder how Ridley will look like in Metroid Prime 4?

Also, it's been days and I still can't believe Ridley's trailer got away with showing Mega Man and Mario getting straight-up murdered.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
idk, I don't think I would consider Ridley's down-b a gimmick. As it stands, you hit somebody with that thing at the sweetspot range and it's mondo damage + a crumple state, which leads to a free follow-up of your choice. You gotta respect it.

Smooth Criminal
It's also slow and needs to be spaced properly. Thankfully it's not Warlock Punch kind of slow, but you still have time to move out of the way.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Any word on his other taunts. I've seen flappy wings roar but what of the others?

Nameless Kot

Smash Apprentice
It's been 3 days already and watching Ridley's trailer still causes me goosebumps, I freaking love that trailer.
Btw I know it may be a little bit off-topic but do you guys think that it will be possible for two players to play with only ONE pair of joycons? For example if I invite a friend who doesn't own a switch and I only have one pair of joy-cons will the game have the option to play with only one joycon?

Danpal65

Smash Lord
Btw I know it may be a little bit off-topic but do you guys think that it will be possible for two players to play with only ONE pair of joycons? For example if I invite a friend who doesn't own a switch and I only have one pair of joy-cons will the game have the option to play with only one joycon?
I'd certainly be expecting so. I mean there are enough buttons to map everything and it is kinda the selling point of the Switch

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I had a thought that Ridley’s standing taunt could be a placeholder simply to show how tall he really is. Seems weird and silly, especially considering Ridley never stands up straight like, ever.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Yeah I just thought the standing was actually an idle animation, seems lame as a taunt

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
The gold/yellow Ridley is definitely not a Charizard recolor. It's either the Tourian Golden Statue or its a reference to Dried Corpse/Husk Ridley from Fusion, but I'm very sure it's the former.

Yeah I just thought the standing was actually an idle animation, seems lame as a taunt
I like the expressionless idle animation taunt, it's pretty funny to look at.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I had a thought that Ridley’s standing taunt could be a placeholder simply to show how tall he really is. Seems weird and silly, especially considering Ridley never stands up straight like, ever.
I actually really like that taunt, and I'd be sad if they got rid of it. It helps to denounce the assumption that Ridley is just a savage monster with no real mind of his own.

The other two taunts do a decent job of making Ridley look scary, and I don't think every taunt needs to say, "Look at how vicious I am!" A little variety is welcome.

D

Deleted member 399675

Don't know know much about Ridley, but gosh, is he awesome!
His excellent recovery, his paralyzing tail jab. An improved version of Ryu's Focus Punch!

IronWarrior94

Smash Journeyman
Courtesy of gamefaqs, topic titled "Probably the best match featuring Ridley so far". What do you guys think? It's called the best one because it showcases a lot of what Ridley can do without much inferference.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
The gold/yellow Ridley is definitely not a Charizard recolor. It's either the Tourian Golden Statue or its a reference to Dried Corpse/Husk Ridley from Fusion, but I'm very sure it's the former.
I don't think it's a Torizo color as that boss had a gold and green color scheme, not yellow and blue.
1529070527325.png

Ridley's corpse from Fusion is also unlikely for similar reasons.
1529070424449.png

But it's not Charizard either as it's not orange enough and his wing membranes are blue rather than turquoise.
1529070556808.png

I think it's just a random color. Not all of them must be references.

I don't know why I made this
View attachment 148458
Wherefore doest thou doest this?

Last edited:

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
I don't think it's a Torizo color as that boss had a gold and green color scheme, not yellow and blue. Ridley's corpse from Fusion is also unlikely for similar reasons. But it's not Charizard either as it's not orange enough and his wing membranes are blue rather than turquoise.
I think it's just a rando color. Not all of them must be references.
I didn't say the Torizo statue, I said the Tourian Golden Statue from Super Metroid.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I don't think it's a Torizo color as that boss had a gold and green color scheme, not yellow and blue.
View attachment 148460
Ridley's corpse from Fusion is also unlikely for similar reasons.
View attachment 148459
But it's not Charizard either as it's not orange enough and his wing membranes are blue rather than turquoise.
View attachment 148461
I think it's just a random color. Not all of them must be references.

Wherefore doest thou doest this?
Photoshop

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
I somehow read Tourian as Torizo...Well, blue wing membranes still make it too different.
They probably just added that because the statue is entirely golden so Ridley's part doesn't have a separate color for the wing webbing. They probably just added it for Smash to give it a secondary color like all skins. I'm pretty certain it's the Tourian statue.

The only one I don't think is really a reference is the last color, which ppl seem to think is a reference to Subspace Ridley or something.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
They probably just added that because the statue is entirely golden so Ridley's part doesn't have a separate color for the wing webbing. They probably just added it for Smash to give it a secondary color like all skins. I'm pretty certain it's the Tourian statue.

The only one I don't think is really a reference is the last color, which ppl seem to think is a reference to Subspace Ridley or something.
That makes sense, but then why not use red color instead of blue to match that statue's eye color?

I don't see how that makes sense either. He's much brighter in Brawl, but here, he's almost black.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

The last color actually seems to be a Meta Ridley recolor, it's not very clear from the render, but in-game it's completely black with yellow wings. A little bit odd seeing that he's getting an actual Meta Ridley alt for the full game, not sure if it's a placeholder or they're just doing both, but it's definitely not Brawl Ridley.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master

The last color actually seems to be a Meta Ridley recolor, it's not very clear from the render, but in-game it's completely black with yellow wings. A little bit odd seeing that he's getting an actual Meta Ridley alt for the full game, not sure if it's a placeholder or they're just doing both, but it's definitely not Brawl Ridley.
There's something incredibly amusing seeing Snake put Ridley in a sleeper hold. Would that even work? Does Ridley even breathe?
Maybe he cuts off the circulation.

IronTed

Smash Ace

Yeah, that makes sense, that color doesn't really seem to represent anything. Well, there goes the theory Meta Ridley is getting 7 additional recolors.

Top Bottom