• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
It truly pierces our ears and our hearts.
XD This is the best comment I have seen today!

PROJECT.jpg

(Small proview of something I'm working on for an specific day)

I can't believe I'm getting rather used to Ultimate Ridley's design kinda quick (at least the way I do it), I thought it was going to take much more time . xD Guess drawing both Ridley and Roidley prior to this helped considerably.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
XD This is the best comment I have seen today!

View attachment 148336
(Small proview of something I'm working on for an specific day)

I can't believe I'm getting rather used to Ultimate Ridley's design kinda quick (at least the way I do it), I thought it was going to take much more time . xD Guess drawing both Ridley and Roidley prior to this helped considerably.
I was thinking about you when Ridley got revealed, did you lose your mind?

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
At least now we have a video of Ridley winning, even if the guy suicided in the beginning. Can't wait to see what amazing things people start doing once they figure him out.
xD Honestly when I saw the screen-KO, I kind of wished that Ridley caused the screen to crack.

Weeman Weeman XD Oh my gosh, I lost count how many friends have told me that they instantly thought about me the moment Ridley appeared! And what do you think? I gave a high pitched scream and jumped all over my room, I couldn't believe it!

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT
From the gameplay videos I've seen it seems he gets knocked around pretty far. Granted the game isn't finalized yet (seriously how the **** could a bthrow not kill Mario at like 160 percent at the invitational)

Shog

Smash Ace
Oooh did I just see a Ridley X Color Scheme for a choice? Well, well, well, I know what color I am going to main

StormC

Smash Hero
Ridley is probably designed to be a rushdown-heavy glass cannon - relative lightness would reflect that. Plus he's a bony son of a *****.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I still can't believe it. I knew Sakurai COULD do it, but how perfectly they captured Ridley's character is more than a dream come true. He's so vicious and brutal, and his reveal had his sadistic and cunning side too. It's magical. His design is freakin perfect. Like others said it's a hybrid between all his designs to make one true, perfect Smash Ridley design.

I can't be the only one who's noticed, but in his reveal trailer the camera angles were used in a way to make Ridley seem towering and imposing despite his size reduction. They did such a good job I can't believe it.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I still can't believe it. I knew Sakurai COULD do it, but how perfectly they captured Ridley's character is more than a dream come true. He's so vicious and brutal, and his reveal had his sadistic and cunning side too. It's magical. His design is freakin perfect. Like others said it's a hybrid between all his designs to make one true, perfect Smash Ridley design.

I can't be the only one who's noticed, but in his reveal trailer the camera angles were used in a way to make Ridley seem towering and imposing despite his size reduction. They did such a good job I can't believe it.
Yeah, I commented on how genius the trailer is, but I didn't mention this point. They did two interesting things:

They made it look like it could be a Subspace Emissary Returns trailer, with Samus, Mario and Mega Man (I think they didn't put Pikachu there instead to not make it too in your face) walking in area somewhat reminiscent of where you find Ridley in Brawl. I watched more reactions than I should have given my busy schedule, and many people wondered if it was another Subspace before considering playable Ridley.

Second, the size. When Ridley stomps the ground (bridge thing) the last time, he looks enormous, but it is all due to camera tricks. Again, seeing Ridley that huge could easily fool someone into thinking he was going to be just a boss or hazard again. All of that sets up the reveal with the now iconic thanks to Smash 4 "character joins the roster" screen.

It is just a fantastic trailer. My favorite used to be Little Mac's and I still like it very much, but Ridley's is in another level entirely.

StormC

Smash Hero
I love the trailer but my only complaint is the gameplay segment is a bit short; it's 30 seconds when they're typically around a minute. Fighting Bowser and Ganondorf, more funny scenes like Pikachu and the Metroid, it would have been nice.

Cloud's trailer is still my favorite, along with Mega Man and Greninja.

Last edited:

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
So...
What happens if Ridley uses his Down Special Midair?
Does he do a tail stab/ pogo?
No actually. He does a double foot stomp very much like Greninja. What's funny is that I envisioned Ridley's down air to be just like Greninja's but in function only. It looks like Greninja's but I don't know if he bounces off of opponents. I don't think so sadly.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
No actually. He does a double foot stomp very much like Greninja. What's funny is that I envisioned Ridley's down air to be just like Greninja's but in function only. It looks like Greninja's but I don't know if he bounces off of opponents. I don't think so sadly.
Wozny's talking about the "Jesus christ he ****ing murdered them for 60%" attack

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
So it's officially been two days now since Ridley's reveal. We still feeling good?
I kind of expected the feeling to simmer down a bit at this point, but it just hasn't, I'm constantly browsing Ridley stuff trying to find any videos I can of him and see if there are any new details. I had forgotten what this kind of excitement was like, back during the Brawl days I was so hyped for several newcomers, and it's a similar feeling to that now (just stronger, since it's Ridley), because Smash 4 didn't give me anything I wanted I forgot what it was like being this excited over individual characters.

StormC

Smash Hero
So it's officially been two days now since Ridley's reveal. We still feeling good?
Pretty damn excited! After 4 I sorta waffled on Ridley, unsure if he could work but hoping I could be proven wrong. I was more excited about Cloud and Mega Man in 4, but Ridley was my second most wanted for 5 and bodes well for my #1. I'm not as big of a Metroid fan as some people here but it's fantastic to finally have another major villain on the roster, especially a character so popular and important. His playstyle looks VERY fun and even if I don't main him I expect to get a lot of use out of him.

I just hope there's more single player content this time, I already put over 100 hours into Wii U and 3DS each. More new stages than they're letting on too. But Ridley is long overdue and offers a promising start to what already looks to be the most robust Smash game yet.

Reila

I just hope there's more single player content this time, I already put over 100 hours into Wii U and 3DS each. More new stages than they're letting on too. But Ridley is long overdue and offers a promising start to what already looks to be the most robust Smash game yet.
With the short development time, don't expect it. Maybe down the road as DLC, but not on launch.

StormC

Smash Hero
With the short development time, don't expect it. Maybe down the road as DLC, but not on launch.
It's been in development for two years, I don't see why it wouldn't be feasible. I'm not expecting a full on SSE 2 but something more substantial than what we got for Wii U/3DS.

Gallerian

Smash Apprentice
I highly doubt we'll get another Subspace Emissary again any time soon, but I do hope for a Melee-styled adventure mode. Something like that was perfect for Smash, and that was done within the 13 month development time of Melee. I know that it takes longer this time around, but I think it still is possible, especially considering the team working with Sakurai must be a pretty decent size.

As long as we don't get Smash Tour 2 or the multitude of modes in WiiU that were just Multi-Man Melee at the end of the day, then I'll be satisfied.

Last edited:

Reila

I highly doubt we'll get another Subspace Emissary again any time soon, but I do hope for a Melee-styled adventure mode. Something like that was perfect for Smash, and that was done within the 13 month development time of Melee. I know that it takes longer this time around, but I think it still is possible, especially considering the team working with Sakurai must be a pretty decent size.

As long as we don't get Smash Tour 2 or the multitude of modes in WiiU that were just Multi-Man Melee at the end of the day, then I'll be satisfied.
I still wouldn't expect it on release, but I am not against it, mind you. It is just that the development for AAA games takes a long time, and looking at how many characters, stages and stuff Smash 4.5 have, I prefer to put expectations in check. I would really like an adventure mode, for sure.

It's been in development for two years, I don't see why it wouldn't be feasible. I'm not expecting a full on SSE 2 but something more substantial than what we got for Wii U/3DS.
Two years is nothing when it comes to developing a game of this size. I am working with game development. Trust me on this. Or not, you can keep expecting a story mode on release if you want.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Two years is nothing when it comes to developing a game of this size. I am working with game development. Trust me on this. Or not, you can keep expecting a story mode on release if you want.
I didn't say anything about a story mode. I said single player content.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Ridley's intro video has him killing Mega Man and Mario.
He has a unique attack that involves him roughly dragging his opponent's body across the hard, unforgiving ground.
One of Ridley's victory animations involves him clawing into an off-screen victim.

Man, they are really pushing the whole "cruel, heartless villain" personality. I love it!

Last edited:

Phazon ID

Smash Rookie
Ridley is probably designed to be a rushdown-heavy glass cannon - relative lightness would reflect that. Plus he's a bony son of a *****.
He seems heavy though he lives into the 120% most of the videos i have seen.
I wish he was more air mobile. I wish the down air was a tail spike pogo instead of a bowser bomb. And hoped side b worked diffrently. In the air it just seems to plummet you both like Ganondorfs choke slam to hell.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
He has a unique attack that involves him roughly dragging his opponent's body across the hard, unforgiving ground.
One of Ridley's victory animations involves him clawing into an off-screen victim.

Man, they are really pushing the whole "cruel, heartless villain" personality. I love it!
It's kinda funny that we were speculating for years about possible flight, grab or size gimmicks, even an evolution gimmick was thrown around quite a few times, yet they chose to make the focus of the character his cruel and violent personality, something that was mostly an afterthought in most fanmade movesets. Sakurai is so good at nailing down exactly how to make a character feel right by focusing on their key characteristics, draggings opponents across platforms and impaling them with the tail's sweetspot really makes the player feel like Ridley, much more so than our simple "he's big and good in the air" ideas. It also makes him stand out much more compared to the rest of the Smash cast, none of the other villains have their cruelty pushed nearly as hard as Ridley, even visually he looks so much more grim than anyone else, in a way his gimmick is actually just how vicious he is.

Last edited:

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
Ridley has a lot of Strong properties, but I don't know if he'll be competitively high tier:
-Good stage control with his side b and fireballs
-ganoncide with side b
-Relatively disjointed aerials/tilts
-decent recovery
-heavy
-down b comes out in half a second, landing sweetspot secures a free kill in a 1vs1
cons include
-high aerial landing lag
-large hurtbox/easy combo food
-probably gets outpressured by better long range fighters like samus/villager
-usually you'll have to kill with aerials because smashes/downspecial are too slow, his side b is pretty ok at killing though
from what I've seen
It's likely a reference to his Brawl colour. Either way Ridley never really had black
possible black meta ridley alts, we don't know if there's other colors for that model yet.

Last edited:

Zawaz132

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Zawaz132
I am so unimaginably ecstatic that Ridley finally made it. I've been a fan since the days of Melee. (Since I was about 15, I have legitimately wanted to name my first kid Ridley. It's just such a cool name hahaha don't judge me)
I remember logging into Smash Dojo every morning before school, hoping to see Ridley revealed for Brawl. One morning, Meta Ridley's theme was announced, and my heart just knew Ridley was next... and then it broke when he was announced as a Subspace boss.
Skip ahead a few years to the speculation around Smash 4. I was fairly active in the Ridley Smashboards, and things got crazy after one Smash Direct that teased Ridley's shadow. We all knew it was only a matter of time.
He was a stage hazard...

I made this gif during the whole Smash 4 hype when most people assumed Ridley would take on his Roidley look, but it's still very relevant to me.
I feel like it perfectly reflects my first reaction to watching Ridley's official confirmation trailer.

We did it. We made it, fellow Space Pirates.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601

Better Look at his other colours, as well as his Meta-Alt that isn't in the demo

Phazon ID

Smash Rookie
Ridley has a lot of Strong properties, but I don't know if he'll be competitively high tier:
-Good stage control with his side b and fireballs
-ganoncide with side b
-Relatively disjointed aerials/tilts
-decent recovery
-heavy
-down b comes out in half a second, landing sweetspot secures a free kill in a 1vs1
cons include
-high aerial landing lag
-large hurtbox/easy combo food
-probably gets outpressured by better long range fighters like samus/villager
-usually you'll have to kill with aerials because smashes/downspecial are too slow, his side b is pretty ok at killing though
from what I've seen

possible black meta ridley alts, we don't know if there's other colors for that model yet.
Hmmm wow i didnt realise his down special was so fast.
Also are his grabs good? Any kill or combo potential?
Hmmm

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion

Because that what makes him Ridley. Yes, Ridley is very large in a lot of his appearances, but it is not what makes the character. All of us had said this over and over, and Sakurai finally "got it" too. His viciousness, his design, it's so good. Emphasizing those traits of his is what we wanted. Even one of his victory screen animations has him tearing into something brutally. He is far and away the most violent looking and attacking character in the game, and the fact that they had the BALLS to kill not just Mega Man, but Mario, the flagship Nintendo character in his reveal video means they are not shying away from his character. It's just beautiful.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

Better Look at his other colours, as well as his Meta-Alt that isn't in the demo
Oh, he does have a black. Huh, why hadn't I seen that.

Loving that purple and green.

Super Metroid is my secondary

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
Hmmm wow i didnt realise his down special was so fast.
Also are his grabs good? Any kill or combo potential?
Hmmm
The information is on the moveset thread
combo potential seems unlikely
haven't seen his grabs but I believe his kill potential is ok

Top Bottom