• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Last time I did this it seems there was too obvious of an answer, so I'll redo it so it's more fun.

Would you rather,
A. Ridley is playable but it is the other m version and uses a mechanic where you start as little birdie and gradually eventually become full Ridley (and it takes quite a while)

B. Ridley is not on the regular roster but is playable in a gimicky playable boss mode.

Or
C. Ridley is playable, but it's the captain N oompa loompa version.

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Last time I did this it seems there was too obvious of an answer, so I'll redo it so it's more fun.

Would you rather,
A. Ridley is playable but it is the other m version and uses a mechanic where you start as little birdie and gradually eventually become full Ridley (and it takes quite a while)

B. Ridley is not on the regular roster but is playable in a gimicky playable boss mode.

Or
B, especially since that might be the solution Sakurai is looking for. As long as he's playable, and in his true form.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223

Would you rather,

Or
D. He’s just a trophy and that’s that. :p

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I only shrunk the wings and the head to a lesser extent. Meta Ridley's chest is huge, so he looks a little thicc. But yes, I am a wizard of Smash Scaling!

EDIT: Round 2
Did more individual adjustments, shrunk chest down as well as the neck slightly.
Hm.

Alright I have a request, can you pose Ridley like this if possible?
upload_2018-4-11_23-40-36.png
Asking 'cuz I remember that's how he was when he was grounded in Prime.

Last edited:
NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905

Would you rather,

Or
I choose D. Ridley is playable as himself on the basic roster.
:p

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Believe it or not, mechanical tails are plenty awkward to scale down.
That actually looks pretty decent. I’d still consider making him a tad larger, if only to see how far we can give Ridley a reasonable enough size in a platform fighter.

Like, I’m totally cool with him partially clipping the platforms on Battlefield if it means he can still stare down Samus. But the proportions are excellent all-around IMO.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Having played with Maya, I can imagine it's a nightmare.
How does he look with the tail not shrunken? I'm wondering about how he would look if he were more forward-leaning with the tail acting as a counterweight.

Last edited:

Angelglory

Smash Ace
NNID
Angelglory
3DS FC
2750-1110-8929
Having played with Maya, I can imagine it's a nightmare.
How does he look with the tail not shrunken? I'm wondering about how he would look if he were more forward-leaning with the tail acting as a counterweight.
He becomes a pretty long boi

For my next trick, I'll throw in Battlefield to grasp some real scale in the next line-up

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
You know, a smaller tail would probably would well for Ridley, given how any move that could need his tail could just have the tail extend its length, something Ridley is capable of doing, to the extent that in Super Metroid his tail sometimes looked like free floating separate chunks.

PrinceGal3n

Smash Journeyman
I only shrunk the wings and the head to a lesser extent. Meta Ridley's chest is huge, so he looks a little thicc. But yes, I am a wizard of Smash Scaling!

EDIT: Round 2
Did more individual adjustments, shrunk chest down as well as the neck slightly.
OMG. Round 2 looks like pure perfection. I could totally see him in this form!

Danpal65

Smash Lord
I got lazy with these colors.

No Super Metroid box art red?

These are nice palettes though :).

I think one of the best things about the Ridley support community is that we have people like Angelglory and Dalek_Kolt who put in a lot of time and effort into building and fiddling with models to demonstrate and figure out how best to make Ridley look and work.

RetroMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
retrog97

Would you rather,

Or
A. I'll take Little Birdie and Awkward Teen Ridley over a playable boss or that Oompa Loompa Ridley...

Last edited:

Angelglory

Smash Ace
NNID
Angelglory
3DS FC
2750-1110-8929
*descends upon the thread*

With this, I've devised and revised sizes. Bowser is definitely shorter in Smash 4 than in Brawl but just barely clips into the lower platforms on Battlefield. So I took that and pushed Ridley's scale up a little bit more and came to this conclusion. And yes, I used Smash 4 to calculate these heights.

*ascends back into the aether*

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Wow, that definitely looks a lot better when shown in a Smash environment. Keep up the good work!

Just saying im loving all this work.

We got multiple people doing mockups. And I approve of this. It's some good stuff. Makes me feel like a lazy fan lol.
:061:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Oh figurerealm, you never seize to amuse...

Was made just last month apparently. Even with the derpy looking eyes, like it well enough. While it's great we'll be getting an official thing with Meta Ridley F4F, always nice seeing attempts with fan-made stuff like that.

I wonder when Samus Returns models like Proteus Ridley will be more easy/accessible to rip in the future. Regardless, Meta Ridley still suffices as a stand-in, mechanical tail and everything. Good to see such model wizardry again regardless. Same with Dalek and the vector stuff; great work.

Kinda occurred to me earlier, but since Ridley's based entirely on the Xenomorph (draconic features notwithstanding), with the tail, proportions, and everything, would be interesting to have some model side-by-sides or something with Ridley and a Xeno just for more visual scaling comparisons, though don't know what rippable 3D Alien models there are, if any. Came across the above Ridley fig thing when I was looking for some Xenomorph material again as reference, funny enough...

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
For your consideration, Ridley but the background is removed.
ridley idle.png
Have fun putting him on Battlefield or scaling him to Pikachu or whatever.

The Ridleypocalypse is nigh
image7155.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Didn’t realize that without the background, his remaining armor would look more like a metallic green or something in-game rather than grey. Weird, but I guess they had him blend in with the dark skies of SR388 more than I thought, to complement his appearance and all. The change in atmosphere by the end of the game after the surface of SR388 looked all bright and sunny at the beginning was indeed a nice foreboding. But yeah, good job on ripping from the background. One of us should’ve thought of doing that before, admittedly.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Didn’t realize that without the background, his remaining armor would look more like a metallic green or something in-game rather than grey. Weird, but I guess they had him blend in with the dark skies of SR388 more than I thought, to complement his appearance and all. The change in atmosphere by the end of the game after the surface of SR388 looked all bright and sunny at the beginning was indeed a nice foreboding. But yeah, good job on ripping from the background. One of us should’ve thought of doing that before, admittedly.
To be fair, it's not as if the armor is literally green, it's just specular enough to reflect the dark clouds.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Fair enough. Kinda see it as the same sorta deal with like Super Metroid Ridley sprite appearing purple in the beginning prologue, but then looking more red when you encounter him again later to reflect the background of lower Norfair.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Come to think of it, if the mechanical claw was all he discarded, then he may still have his remaining cybernetics on him, leaving a possible return for Proteus Ridley in an interquel before Super Metroid or something. Of course it’s easier to assume they went straight from the SR388 fight to the Ceres station prologue, even though you didn’t see the mechanical tail or anything else laying around from the aftermath scene.

edit: Oh, look who made the #5 spot on screwattack/Death Battle's list of favorite dragons...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztePQW8GzsM

Last edited:

TheWozny

Smash Ace
NNID
Woznito
In terms of how large he should be, am I the only one who thinks he should be larger than Bowser? I feel like a lot of people have kinda accepted Bowser s the big boi of Smash.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Bowser's renowned for being the biggest heavyweight posterboy. If Ridley is a lighter weight character which he is usually presumed to be, it would not take away from Bowser's already well established niche, even if a playable Ridley towered over him just a bit because of proportions or something.

D

Deleted member

In terms of how large he should be, am I the only one who thinks he should be larger than Bowser? I feel like a lot of people have kinda accepted Bowser s the big boi of Smash.
Before Bowser there was DK.
Bowser doesn't have to be the biggest.

StormC

Smash Hero
It's more a problem if Ridley starts clipping majorly into things like the Battlefield platforms. Maybe he can be slightly bigger than Bowser but it's a delicate balance. He would need things like super armor to make up for the bigger hitbox.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I think Ridley should be bigger tbh. Bowser only ever gets really big because of some weird powerup, Ridley is always naturally that massive. I don't see why he needs to be light either. Only character that i can see being bigger than Ridley that has any likelihood is K.Rool. Bowser's days as the biggest big can come to an end. He's served his time well.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I don't think Ridley would necessarily be taller than Bowser, but he'd definitely take up more horizontal space. A large part of it will come down to posturing and character design, depending on how they'd do it he could work perfectly fine either way.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I don't think Ridley would necessarily be taller than Bowser, but he'd definitely take up more horizontal space. A large part of it will come down to posturing and character design, depending on how they'd do it he could work perfectly fine either way.
Really the version AngelGlory put together is absolutely perfect imo.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
0F63EEAE-74F4-476F-9835-5CC285468D01.png

Ridley runs a fair buisness, heres his resources manager and heavy weapons expert, Kraid.

Top Bottom