• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Losing all hope for Ike

Los4Muros

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Los4Muros
3DS FC
2852-9328-5396
I never gave Ike a chance in Brawl, so can't tell if he's better of worse. But I've been using him recently and I've noticed some good points. Of course some attacks have extremely ending lag, but others are great if timed and with few lag. His airs are well enough to keep him going against Sheik. Zairs have been a trouble. Neutral B has quite some benefits. I've noticed it hits from and back if completely charged. Then when guarding edges, it hits way high when some characters are trying to pass through the top. Jab seems pretty fair to me, or at least better that Samus'. Dtilt feels like a heavy version of Marth's Dtilt. It's great to interrupt combos. So far, I've found Ike to be a decent character, but most of the characters are so good in this game, it's hard to know if he'll stand a chance against others.

Edit: Can somebody pass me a link to that Ryuga video everybody keeps talking about?

Last edited:

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Bair is basically lagless and is a great KO tool. Fair has lots of lag so I don't like to use it unless edgeguarding or retreating with it. Since Ike doesn't really have a fast or reliable out of shield punish, you have to rely on jab combo out of shield to set up for potential fairs. Ike really shines if you can find the right balance of shielding and movement for each matchup.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
I'm still having mild problems, but they're nothing compared to how they were in Brawl. Apparently, I'm not going for grabs enough, and I'm fairly easy to punish. I'm trying to use arbitrary moves less to avoid getting punished. I do jabs and Fairs from afar to keep people off of me with zoning, but they see my landing lag and go after me right there.

I posted some videos in the Video Critique Thread if anyone wants to check and offer an opinion. I'm all ears for advice.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I don't know about you but I'm having a blast with Ike. I didn't get to use him that much in Brawl but in Sm4sh, it's a whole different story.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
I don't know about you but I'm having a blast with Ike. I didn't get to use him that much in Brawl but in Sm4sh, it's a whole different story.
He was crippled in Brawl, that's why. Anyone with half a brain knew how to gimp him completely. He's so much better in this game it's not even funny.

Arrei

Smash Lord
He's still quite vulnerable to gimping now, especially against counters and any attack with a large hitbox, but at least people can't put him in a helpless state by just floating in front of his face as he Quick Draws.

I do really miss having lagless Quick Draw when it doesn't connect, though.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
I'm starting to lose hope again. I went up against Fratos, a longtime tournament rival, and was doing fine against him with Captain Falcon, Shulk, and Mario. He mains Mario, Pikachu, and Ness, and I beat his Mario solidly in dittos. I could beat his Pikachu and other characters with Captain Falcon and Robin. But when I use Ike against him, it becomes an uphill battle. I'm fighting for my life.

Why is it easier for me to use characters I don't use but a fraction of the time, but when I'm Ike, I'm having serious problems?

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
Without watching replays, I'm not sure what I could tell you about why Ike was giving you serious problems that day. From my experience, Pikachu and Mario can be an uphill battle against Ike. Pikachu for his speedy attacks and how some of them give him plenty of space, and Mario for the gimping power of his Cape and FLUDD. I've never had a load of trouble against Ness, as most of his stronger moves I've been able to defend against. (Feels glorious to counter off his PK Thunder Torpedo, and Aether can gimp his recovery if he goes high fairly consistently.)

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
Without watching replays, I'm not sure what I could tell you about why Ike was giving you serious problems that day. From my experience, Pikachu and Mario can be an uphill battle against Ike. Pikachu for his speedy attacks and how some of them give him plenty of space, and Mario for the gimping power of his Cape and FLUDD. I've never had a load of trouble against Ness, as most of his stronger moves I've been able to defend against. (Feels glorious to counter off his PK Thunder Torpedo, and Aether can gimp his recovery if he goes high fairly consistently.)
Mario is actually not much of a detrimental matchup. You can go to the very bottom of the stage and recover low with Aether, and you can ride the waves of FLUDD using Side B. Once you read his recovery options, it's pretty A-B-C from there. Mario just has a lot of attacks with little lag and can rack up damage quickly. What I'm noting is that I had more trouble fighting him with Ike than I did with Captain Falcon and Mario.

It's Pikachu that's the real threat right now. But I assure you that replays are coming. I just need to upload them onto YouTube.

Top Bottom