• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Looks like the Street date for smash bros 3DS was broken

Joalro

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0189-8794-0585
And so it begins.

*braces self*

Last edited:

KokiriKory

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
kokirikory
3DS FC
2148-8224-6270
Unless we have an accompanying account to follow, im gonna throw this in the hoax pile

There are a lot of precautions against this sort of thing, and that one picture isnt a truckload of evidence

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

@ Mewtader Mewtader You take this picture yourself?

If not, do you know the person who did and are they going to be posting updates?

Joalro

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0189-8794-0585
I think it's real, but it's probably just an employee taking a picture showing they HAVE it, but not actually releasing it.

That, or it's simply a box that's available for display purposes.

Ganonthegreat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ganonthegreat
3DS FC
3780-9005-2627
I think it's real, but it's probably just an employee taking a picture showing they HAVE it, but not actually releasing it.

That, or it's simply a box that's available for display purposes.
This may be the case yeah. I don't think it's empty because empty cases are almost never shrinkwrapped.

Mewtader

Smash Cadet
No I'm not the original poster i
I just saw this in nintendolinked and decided to post it here.

Last edited:

Peterawr

Smash Cadet
You can see he's standing right by a ladder, so it's probably just an employee being like "look what we just got in!"

But I'm still wondering how soon it will be before a few games slip between the cracks.

MechaWave

Smash Champion
No, you are incorrect. This picture was taken by a store clerk stocking copies of Smash 3DS at a store in Japan.

MechaWave

Smash Champion
Wait...what does this mean?
It means the street date was not broken and it's a misunderstanding. The stores in Japan have copies of the game but they aren't letting you buy it until the 13th in Japan.

Also, the source of the image is from 2ch, a Japanese image board similar to 4chan where you can post anonymously.

Last edited:

YamiKitsune

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1006-0928-7336
Oh. Maybe we'll get footage from some retail employees that decided to take the game and put 40 bucks in the register

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Oh. Maybe we'll get footage from some retail employees that decided to take the game and put 40 bucks in the register
Not saying that a Japanese worker wouldn't do that but I would consider it unlikely. Most stores are pretty strict with upcoming releases. Heck, just to get Smash Bros. at 11:30 pm on the 12th, I had to get a voucher from the store manager that indicates to the staff that I will be getting the game early. This was after 5-10 minutes of trying to persuade said store manager who kept on saying "It's very strict" and "Its against store rules." Who knows if I am the only one who was able to get it earlier than when they originally told me which was 10 am on the 13th but I felt I had a win back there.

Japan has very strict piracy/copy right laws that can easily land you a jail sentence if you aren't careful about what you upload/download illegally. Simply uploading/downloading a moderate amount of copyrighted/pirated material could be potentially destructive to a person. That is why I use VPNs. And while putting 40 bucks into the register is not exactly downloading illegally, the store can find out easily - especially when they do a product count and see "Oh ****....we have a game missing. And the register is 4,000 yen over! Who did this?"

That would mean the entire group would be punished until the perpetrator is brought forward.

But I don't think we will see anything of significance from Japan in terms of breaking the street date. If we do, I would put my money on a non-Japanese person somehow obtaining it before the street date.

Last edited:

espio87

Smash Ace
The street date WILL be broken, there's just too much hype and someone will not resist the temptation. But I think it's too soon yet, maybe tomorrow (I mean Thursday, darn that 12 hour difference xD).

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Yeah, there will be a street date breakage for sure, probably on Thursday or Friday in Japan. But how much breakage it will be and to what extent is up in the air.

D

Deleted member

Not saying that a Japanese worker wouldn't do that but I would consider it unlikely. Most stores are pretty strict with upcoming releases. Heck, just to get Smash Bros. at 11:30 pm on the 12th, I had to get a voucher from the store manager that indicates to the staff that I will be getting the game early. This was after 5-10 minutes of trying to persuade said store manager who kept on saying "It's very strict" and "Its against store rules." Who knows if I am the only one who was able to get it earlier than when they originally told me which was 10 am on the 13th but I felt I had a win back there.

Japan has very strict piracy/copy right laws that can easily land you a jail sentence if you aren't careful about what you upload/download illegally. Simply uploading/downloading a moderate amount of copyrighted/pirated material could be potentially destructive to a person. That is why I use VPNs. And while putting 40 bucks into the register is not exactly downloading illegally, the store can find out easily - especially when they do a product count and see "Oh ****....we have a game missing. And the register is 4,000 yen over! Who did this?"

That would mean the entire group would be punished until the perpetrator is brought forward.

But I don't think we will see anything of significance from Japan in terms of breaking the street date. If we do, I would put my money on a non-Japanese person somehow obtaining it before the street date.
This just goes with the culture of Japan in general. It was incredible to hear that when the Earthquake/Tsunami happened (the one a few years past), there was no looting at all. Japanese folk are just extremely honorable, honest people.

Mewtader

Smash Cadet
except that hardwood floor looks finished/presentable, and that shelf has products facing both ways, something for presentation and not storage

I'm pretty sure this isn't the back/warehouse

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Well, time to go into hiding until the game releases...

SmashHole '82

Banned via Warnings
Unless we have an accompanying account to follow, im gonna throw this in the hoax pile

There are a lot of precautions against this sort of thing, and that one picture isnt a truckload of evidence
I think someone just brought out a copy that was just shipped in, but hasn't been sold, yet.
With that in mind, I don't really think this is breaking the street date.

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Nothing particular unusual here. When I used to work for a Wal-Mart a number of years ago we would receive copies of the game sometimes up to two weeks early and you had to live with knowing that you couldn't buy them up to that point, it was an interesting time.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Nothing particular unusual here. When I used to work for a Wal-Mart a number of years ago we would receive copies of the game sometimes up to two weeks early and you had to live with knowing that you couldn't buy them up to that point, it was an interesting time.
That sort of mental agony is why I never want to go into retail in merchandise I'm very interested in.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
That sort of mental agony is why I never want to go into retail in merchandise I'm very interested in.
"But Mr. Employer, I swear I don't know how the game got into my backpack! It must have fell out of the shipment box and when I put it back in the box, it missed and went into my backpack."

R0Y

Smash Master
Employees or not, he or she has one copy in their hand and cared enough to take a photograph. I wouldn't be surprised if they quietly took one home.

BombKirby

Smash Journeyman
This was on reddit earlier. We suspected its just an employee putting it on the shelf. hence the giant shiny ladder right below the box.

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
It's just a guy putting up stock. It's still exciting it's in stores though!

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Employees or not, he or she has one copy in their hand and cared enough to take a photograph. I wouldn't be surprised if they quietly took one home.
Taking one home risks losing one's job, not everyone is willing to take that risk. Heck for sure I never was.

Last edited:

R0Y

Smash Master
Taking one home risks losing one's job, not everyone is willing to take that risk. Heck for sure I never was.
No, I agree totally. But it depends on the employee and their boss, despite contracts in place that are supposed to prevent it. I don't know often it happens but it's a thing.

R0Y

Smash Master
Before we go any further, I'm just gonna leave this here...
That wouldn't look a thing like Nintendo's shrink wrap... but here's the thing, neither does the shrink wrap in the image. I wonder if it's in an extra display box?

pickle962

Smash Lord
If it was a store struggling to make ends meet, I'd leave the merchandise be. Since this is Wal-Mart however, a mega corporation with a known track record of treating their employees like **** right down to the awful pay, I personally would sneak a copy of the game home a day or two before its to be sold to the public and upload gameplay footage to Youtube. As I tend to keep to myself, no one at the store would know it was ME who did it :troll:

tl;dr: Not that I advocate it, but in terms of shoplifting, multi chain corporation esque stores like Wal-Mart don't really care if some of their merchandise goes missing compared to a Mom and Pop store where you're more likely to get shot/beaten with a metal bat if you try to steal their stuff. Still gotta be wary of cameras though and anti theft doo-dads.

On Topic: I fully expect the internet to bleed red on Friday with the gargantuan amount of SSB4 info we shall be getting.

R0Y

Smash Master
If it was a store struggling to make ends meet, I'd leave the merchandise be. Since this is Wal-Mart however, a mega corporation with a known track record of treating their employees like **** right down to the awful pay, I personally would sneak a copy of the game home a day or two before its to be sold to the public and upload gameplay footage to Youtube. As I tend to keep to myself, no one at the store would know it was ME who did it :troll:

tl;dr: Not that I advocate it, but in terms of shoplifting, multi chain corporation esque stores like Wal-Mart don't really care if some of their merchandise goes missing compared to a Mom and Pop store where you're more likely to get shot/beaten with a metal bat if you try to steal their stuff. Still gotta be wary of cameras though and anti theft doo-dads.

On Topic: I fully expect the internet to bleed red on Friday with the gargantuan amount of SSB4 info we shall be getting.
You'd get fired and possibly arrested, banned from the store, and fined...

Just because it's a big corporation doesn't make it okay to steal...also, just because a company is smaller doesn't mean it treats its employees decently either. Human beings are scum and treat each other horribly, everybody knows that.

D

Deleted member

So the game is in stock, but the stores are not allowed to sell it until the release date. It's good to see it on the stores, though.

Top Bottom