• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Looks like the Street date for smash bros 3DS was broken

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
If it was a store struggling to make ends meet, I'd leave the merchandise be. Since this is Wal-Mart however, a mega corporation with a known track record of treating their employees like **** right down to the awful pay, I personally would sneak a copy of the game home a day or two before its to be sold to the public and upload gameplay footage to Youtube. As I tend to keep to myself, no one at the store would know it was ME who did it :troll:

tl;dr: Not that I advocate it, but in terms of shoplifting, multi chain corporation esque stores like Wal-Mart don't really care if some of their merchandise goes missing compared to a Mom and Pop store where you're more likely to get shot/beaten with a metal bat if you try to steal their stuff. Still gotta be wary of cameras though and anti theft doo-dads.

On Topic: I fully expect the internet to bleed red on Friday with the gargantuan amount of SSB4 info we shall be getting.
Though it doesn't really need to be said, Smashboards does not encourage theft or deliberately breaking street date. As noted in this post, both are very illegal and do have severe consequences so to anyone considering doing this, I would think twice.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
If it was a store struggling to make ends meet, I'd leave the merchandise be. Since this is Wal-Mart however, a mega corporation with a known track record of treating their employees like **** right down to the awful pay, I personally would sneak a copy of the game home a day or two before its to be sold to the public and upload gameplay footage to Youtube. As I tend to keep to myself, no one at the store would know it was ME who did it :troll:

tl;dr: Not that I advocate it, but in terms of shoplifting, multi chain corporation esque stores like Wal-Mart don't really care if some of their merchandise goes missing compared to a Mom and Pop store where you're more likely to get shot/beaten with a metal bat if you try to steal their stuff. Still gotta be wary of cameras though and anti theft doo-dads.

On Topic: I fully expect the internet to bleed red on Friday with the gargantuan amount of SSB4 info we shall be getting.
Actually it's more difficult then one would think. All street dated games, movies, etc are generally kept in locked cage until release with only the members of the electronic department and management who are able to open the doors which at my particularly store only enough keys for about half a dozen people that could access the cage at any one time. Or at least that how it went back in the day.

Most of the time the street dates are broken as result as negligent rather then intent usually someone moving product around and failing to notice the street date listed on the box and puts it in the game case without thinking about it.

Last edited:

SuperEpicClay

Smash Rookie
NNID
SuperEpicClay
3DS FC
0044-2846-6176
Isn't it kind of hilarious how we're all excited for someone ELSE to play a game instead of us? I know we'll find out stuff we don't know, but it's still funny to me.

Roxas215

Smash Lord
I dont see why people think breaking street dates is the end all be all of crimes or something. It's really not that serious. As someone who worked at target i can say first hand that games get stocked all the time before release date. The people who work there have no idea. They just stock what comes in the truck. Obviously once a couple copies have been sold and management gets word they take it down until street dates. But those copies that are already sold are already out there.

Obviosuly this is different then saying a manager of a mom and pop store willingly selling the title early. But anyway the game is bound to be leaked. I remember being hyped for BBS and DDD of the kingdom hearts series. Both games broke street dates and were being streamed days before street date. Smash is a way bigger game then both of them.

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I dont see why people think breaking street dates is the end all be all of crimes or something. It's really not that serious. As someone who worked at target i can say first hand that games get stocked all the time before release date. The people who work there have no idea. They just stock what comes in the truck. Obviously once a couple copies have been sold and management gets word they take it down until street dates. But those copies that are already sold are already out there.

Obviosuly this is different then saying a manager of a mom and pop store willingly selling the title early.
The laws in regards to breaking street dates differ from Country to country, they are particularly strict in Japan.

Solarman

Smash Cadet
I think my avatar is really fitting of what will happen sometime this week

PikaSamus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BattleSubway
This just goes with the culture of Japan in general. It was incredible to hear that when the Earthquake/Tsunami happened (the one a few years past), there was no looting at all. Japanese folk are just extremely honorable, honest people.
Unlike some people who robbed my house after it was on fire...

Khao

Smash Lord
You know, punishments could vary a lot from store to store, it all just depends on how strict their boss is.

Selling the game early will always be a no, as they'd get a lot of **** from Nintendo, so that won't happen.

But trying out a copy without ever taking it out of the store? If the worker is enough of a nerd and the boss doesn't care much, it might as well be happening already.

Not saying it will happen, just that there's enough of a chance.

JabbatheHutt

The Kingpin of the Outer Rim
Well, know we know who the mid and low tier characters are. Marth's gonna get worse, and Rosalina and Super Punch Out Guy and Villager won't be very good. Just look at Melee and Brawl's boxes and you'll see 99% of the characters on the box aren't very good :p
Uhhhh there are 11 chars on brawls box.

MK, Wario, and Fox are top tier

3/11 isn't 99%. It's 27%

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
Uhhhh there are 11 chars on brawls box.

MK, Wario, and Fox are top tier

3/11 isn't 99%. It's 27%

Fox is in borderline mid tier, and no I don't consider that very good. What I'm saying is these characters I bet you anything are all mid tier or below. Nintendo seems to have a way of purposely making all their flagship characters bad. You also forgot to inludde Melee - Four characters are rendered, who are all mid tier or below. So if oyu include Melee and Brawl, it's 12/14 which is 86%. That's still pretty damn high if you ask me.

Also I was half kidding...just annoys me that Nintendo makes all the interesting characters who actually represent nintendo always really bad.

gameprodigy12

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gameprodigy12
3DS FC
2423-2583-7165
Well, know we know who the mid and low tier characters are. Marth's gonna get worse, and Rosalina and Super Punch Out Guy and Villager won't be very good. Just look at Melee and Brawl's boxes and you'll see 99% of the characters on the box aren't very good :p
I'm guessing you are joking since you have a derp face lol. Cause Rosalina is going to be a really great character more like high-tiered or top-tier(one can hope). :p

JabbatheHutt

The Kingpin of the Outer Rim
Fox is in borderline mid tier, and no I don't consider that very good. What I'm saying is these characters I bet you anything are all mid tier or below. Nintendo seems to have a way of purposely making all their flagship characters bad. You also forgot to inludde Melee - Four characters are rendered, who are all mid tier or below. So if oyu include Melee and Brawl, it's 12/14 which is 86%. That's still pretty damn high if you ask me.

Also I was half kidding...just annoys me that Nintendo makes all the interesting characters who actually represent nintendo always really bad.
I was joking too lol

Booster

Smash Lord
I don't see why Stores and Game Companies would be so pissed, they already got their money AND made someone happy. Several people are overreacting. I just hope someone leaks the roster soon, the wait is killing me, I want to know if the leak is real.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
I don't see why Stores and Game Companies would be so pissed, they already got their money AND made someone happy. Several people are overreacting. I just hope someone leaks the roster soon, the wait is killing me, I want to know if the leak is real.
Contractual agreements. Stores agree to terms and if they break them, face fines from the supplier/publisher.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Yup. This usually happens somewhere.

The Kmart near me apparently accidentally sold copies of Halo Reach way too early due to an employee's incompetence. Too bad I was never a Halo fan. I didn't even know they did that until a year later.

dragonnyxx

Smash Rookie
I managed to get a Gamecube and several games a couple of days early. I was out of town for the launch (and thus hadn't been able to preorder) and when I asked about it in the town I was staying, the local Wal-Mart employee I talked to apparently had no idea they weren't supposed to sell them yet. "Sure, we just got them in this morning. You want me to grab one from the back?"

"Uhhhh... yeah, that'd be awesome."

I waited until I had paid and had the system, games and receipt in hand before I said something to the effect of "You know, this thing doesn't actually come out for two days." Poor guy looked like I had shot him, begged me not to tell anyone about it. I kept my word, didn't tell anyone, and spent two days playing Luigi's Mansion and Super Monkey Ball while everybody else waited for their systems.

There's probably some lucky schmuck in Japan playing the hell out of his early copy of SSB4 right now, and just not bothering to post videos or anything.

Smallgenie549

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smallgenie549
I managed to get a Gamecube and several games a couple of days early. I was out of town for the launch (and thus hadn't been able to preorder) and when I asked about it in the town I was staying, the local Wal-Mart employee I talked to apparently had no idea they weren't supposed to sell them yet. "Sure, we just got them in this morning. You want me to grab one from the back?"

"Uhhhh... yeah, that'd be awesome."

I waited until I had paid and had the system, games and receipt in hand before I said something to the effect of "You know, this thing doesn't actually come out for two days." Poor guy looked like I had shot him, begged me not to tell anyone about it. I kept my word, didn't tell anyone, and spent two days playing Luigi's Mansion and Super Monkey Ball while everybody else waited for their systems.

There's probably some lucky schmuck in Japan playing the hell out of his early copy of SSB4 right now, and just not bothering to post videos or anything.
Same thing happened to me with the latest RED CD. Got it over a week early. I picked up a copy they had on display and marched to the checkout. I bought the album, and by the time I got back, the display was gone.

Geizt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Icarus
3DS FC
3196-3334-4755
I ended up getting brawl a day early from Sound shop in the mall. Right across from an EB Games/Gamestop where they were holding a tournament to get an early copy. . . .

Last edited:
Top Bottom