• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lock On Technology! Sonic Match Up Discussion

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko

LOCK-ON TECHNOLOGY

Sonic Match Up Discussion

Welcome to the Sonic Match Up Discussion thread! Here we discuss match ups between Sonic and the rest of the available cast!

Rules are pretty simple.

Stay on topic. Theorycraft is allowed, but not heavily encouraged. Try your best to use actual experience to discuss in this thread. If this experience comes from wifi, it's fine, but please notify us so that what you say is taken with a grain of salt. Wifi is Wifi and until we can find away to improve the netcode, it's not an extremely reliably source of knowledge, but it's still better than Theorycraft.

Try not to argue. Keep it all civil and rational and debate your points as well as possible. If you have to concede to something, but don't want to. Try to either put the point in question on hold so that research can be made, or simply concede and bring it back up later, or something similar to that nature.

On top of that, try not to linger on particular points for an excessive amount of time. While indepth and detailed discussion is encourage, going about something for days at a time is not the best way of going about discussing match ups.

Next, if content for a particular point is scare, try to flesh it out as much as possible, but if a conclusion cannot be made, simply put it on hold to be looked at again, at a later time, when new information is discovered.

Lastly, be polite. There's no need to insult anyone or belittle anyone in this thread. We're all smashers here, with the same goal in mind.

Thanks for joining on in!

Now let's get started.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Here is how the format for this thread will work.

I'll guide this thread by selecting available characters to discuss. Meaning whatever character is in the latest demo is available to be discussed. We'll spend a certain amount of time discussing the MU as best as possible, inviting the mains of said character to discuss with us.

If we can come to a conclusion on the MU within/before the allotted time, we'll rate the MU, date it, and stamp it with the version we discussed the MU under, while putting in a box, all the relevant and important information pertaining to the MU for everyone to read and move on to the next MU, and a link to the start of the discussion.

If we cannot come to a conclusion on the MU within the allotted time, all participating members will give their final opinion and an average will be used instead, while getting stamped with an incomplete stamp, a date, a version, and a link to the start of the discussion.

Now whenever P:M is updated, characters that are affected will have their MU looked over to discern if the discussion should be redone or simply amended to include the most recent changes, and the stamps will be updated to reflect the latest version of P:M and date.

If by some chance, we finish discussing all avaliable MUs. We will then look at the oldest MU discussed and discern if it needs to be redone/amended and cycle over again, following the order of MUs as they occured.

For any questions, comments, concerns. Feel free to PM me.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
I'd like to go over the Sonic and Falco MU, mostly because of the fact that Falco is an extremely popular character and more likely to be used more than Fox due him being easier to use, and generally considered to feel less "off" by a players transitioning over from Melee to Project:M. Not only this, Falco is an extremely good character with one of the best projectiles in the game and massive amounts of priority and, of course, he's equipped with the shine we all know and love.

Speaking of priority and projectiles, let's start this discussion off with how to approach Falco. Typically, players would retreat to the platforms above to escape the Gatling fury of Falco's SHL, but being directly above an opponent is generally scene as a disadvantage. Not only this, but the aerial below Sonic is not an aerial he has covered very well, meaning that approaching from above with Sonic or defending/dodging from above is not something he's especially good at. And on top of that, platforms tend to get in the way of his Homing Attack, which is one of the few tools he has to use for attack while above an opponent.

On top of this, lasers on the ground level prevent Sonic from doing what he does best, and that's spinning. So with platforms not giving him exactly what he needs, and lasers locking away a lot of his spin choices, how do you feel like Sonic should approach Falco in this MU?

Personally I feel like his best bet is mixing up is approach from shielding and running to using an aerial down B to spindash diagonally down towards Falco, preferably close ie outside the effective range of Falco's normal, mostly because you can shield out of spindash upon landing, letting him protect himself from lasers and possibly normals. He would also have access to WDing and HA/Side B OOS in order to actually get his hands on Falco, but how effective is all this I'm not too certain of due to the fact that I myself personally have issues with Falco.

What are you guys thoughts on this?

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
I'd like to go over the Sonic and Falco MU, mostly because of the fact that Falco is an extremely popular character and more likely to be used more than Fox due him being easier to use, and generally considered to feel less "off" by a players transitioning over from Melee to Project:M. Not only this, Falco is an extremely good character with one of the best projectiles in the game and massive amounts of priority and, of course, he's equipped with the shine we all know and love.

Speaking of priority and projectiles, let's start this discussion off with how to approach Falco. Typically, players would retreat to the platforms above to escape the Gatling fury of Falco's SHL, but being directly above an opponent is generally scene as a disadvantage. Not only this, but the aerial below Sonic is not an aerial he has covered very well, meaning that approaching from above with Sonic or defending/dodging from above is not something he's especially good at. And on top of that, platforms tend to get in the way of his Homing Attack, which is one of the few tools he has to use for attack while above an opponent.

On top of this, lasers on the ground level prevent Sonic from doing what he does best, and that's spinning. So with platforms not giving him exactly what he needs, and lasers locking away a lot of his spin choices, how do you feel like Sonic should approach Falco in this MU?

Personally I feel like his best bet is mixing up is approach from shielding and running to using an aerial down B to spindash diagonally down towards Falco, preferably close ie outside the effective range of Falco's normal, mostly because you can shield out of spindash upon landing, letting him protect himself from lasers and possibly normals. He would also have access to WDing and HA/Side B OOS in order to actually get his hands on Falco, but how effective is all this I'm not too certain of due to the fact that I myself personally have issues with Falco.

What are you guys thoughts on this?
(First of all, I'm extremely happy you made this thread as MU's are SO important to discuss.)

approaching with an aerial Down B sounds good so I'll experiment with that, I also think approaching with blast attack to down B Sonic pressure could be good so I'll experiment with that too.

I posted my thoughts on this MU in the general discussion thread, so I'll just copy it here since I have a good idea of this MU

Falco, I have a lot of exp vs this character.

Spin a lot, My 2 least favorite stages vs Falco are FoD and Yoshis story from melee. The platforms let him get away from your spinning so he can come from above and combo you. So I recommend banning these stages vs him, and same with Fox and Wario.

When Falco is recovering, your homing attack (neutral B) ***** his recovery, but you have to be quick enough so that his firebird is still charging when you hit it. If the Firebird is moving you will trade with it (if you guys hit head on) which might still kill him if hes far enough from the ledge. (also he might try to illusion but if you are close enough, neutral B will auto lock on but it has to hit him before the illusion comes out though. Falco's usually Illusion if they have their DJ, so the moment they DJ I use neutral B because I know an illusion is probably coming.)

While onstage, try to side B into him, Sonic's new side B gets Fast-fallers/heavy characters basically be stuck inside your spin which lets you bring them offstage if you are close enough to the ledge where you will go off it. Or, right before you go offstage with them, press A to stick your foot out to kick them giving some knockback. Once, you send them offstage you usually want to edgeguard them with neutral B since it will lock onto him.

(P.S. whenever you side B, make sure you don't hold side B at all or else you will do that little jump, similiar to Sonic's side B in Brawl.) If you quickly tap Side B (the speed you want to input it at would be the same speed you would use to short hop) you will stay on the ground the whole time you are spinning. You almost never should use the little jump on the side B. Always just have Sonic stay on the ground throughout the spinning animation.

Also, always Up-throw spacies, if they DI so they are directly above you, you should probably up tilt or re-grab them. If they DI in front of you, Side B them before they touch the ground so they can't tech.

Dubforce

Smash Sidius
I can personally attest that this works wonder on falco/fox, but especially falco:

Grab them near the edge > fthrow > run-off and fair. Dead.

Also this:

side b > slide kick them of by pressing forward on the c-stick > immediately tap c-stick again once off-stage and fair them. Fair ***** spacies and its super easier to space after slide-kick or fthrow (sometime dthrow works better at higher %s).

Just one note of mine. Ill maybe add more later.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
I can personally attest that this works wonder on falco/fox, but especially falco:

Grab them near the edge > fthrow > run-off and fair. Dead.

Also this:

side b > slide kick them of by pressing forward on the c-stick > immediately tap c-stick again once off-stage and fair them. Fair ***** spacies and its super easier to space after slide-kick or fthrow (sometime dthrow works better at higher %s).

Just one note of mine. Ill maybe add more later.
Side B > slidekick to offstage, or just SIde B to offstage I think is the best moves vs Spacies if you can get them offstage, it's nearly a guaranteed edgeguard if done right

pyrofox13

Smash Rookie
while the lasers can be gay just don't give him too much space is all i can really say. falco's up-b recovery gets OWNED by homing attack.

the most common way to do this is grab -> back or forward -> homing attack
another way is to do grab -> up throw -> B-air(don't go 2 far off the level) -> jump when he jumps -> homing attack -> up-b and edgehog

as far as approach goes i dunno mind game them i guess. down b jump can send u far and then d-air. grab them if u can because spacies get ***** from grabs, at around mid percent is when i think it's best.

best ways to kill him:
homing attack(B)
B-air
N-air
F-air
F-smash
D-smash
F-tilt(higher %'s)
B-throw
F-throw
Dash Attack

For defensive techniques:
I don't really know :/

Avoid his F-Smash, D-air, N-air, B-air lasers(obviously), and his shine

MU in general i'd say Sonic: 60 Falco: 40 because falco's lasers and his smash attacks agaist Sonic, who's somewhat light, is bad for Sonic. But Sonic has that Back thro to Homing attack or Forward throw to homing attack which just ***** falco.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Well the thing his Falco has the tools and the normals to keep Sonic out, easily.

A lot of the time, throwing out hitboxes that are hard to punish will keep Sonic in check.

And then not only that, but by delaying his DJ and stalling with Shine, Falco can easily avoid getting gimped by a HA, especially at low percents. It can be just as risky gimping him imo. But this is coming from someone who's played against a Falco who learned the part of the MU that has to do with how to recover against Sonic.

I'd like to throw in that Sonic can Uthrow GC Falco at low from essentially DI on neutral DI and inward DI and regrab normally and with a pivot grab, and only normal regrab if they DI away.

See a quick clip of the Uthrow GC here.

The awesome part about the CG is the fact that you can regrab with a pivot, allowing you to control the positioning, so if you're back is to the ledge, you can still end up throwing them off the ledge by catching their DI and pivot regrabbing them. If they know about the pivot regrab, then they'll DI in a fashion to avoid the pivot and avoid being placed closer to the ledge, allowing you a DI that's extremely easy to follow up on.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
Well the thing his Falco has the tools and the normals to keep Sonic out, easily.

A lot of the time, throwing out hitboxes that are hard to punish will keep Sonic in check.

And then not only that, but by delaying his DJ and stalling with Shine, Falco can easily avoid getting gimped by a HA, especially at low percents. It can be just as risky gimping him imo. But this is coming from someone who's played against a Falco who learned the part of the MU that has to do with how to recover against Sonic.

I'd like to throw in that Sonic can Uthrow GC Falco at low from essentially DI on neutral DI and inward DI and regrab normally and with a pivot grab, and only normal regrab if they DI away.

See a quick clip of the Uthrow GC here.

The awesome part about the CG is the fact that you can regrab with a pivot, allowing you to control the positioning, so if you're back is to the ledge, you can still end up throwing them off the ledge by catching their DI and pivot regrabbing them. If they know about the pivot regrab, then they'll DI in a fashion to avoid the pivot and avoid being placed closer to the ledge, allowing you a DI that's extremely easy to follow up on.
I don't even recommend CG'ing Falco, the best thing is to just U-throw him once, then side B right before he lands on the ground. And if you are near the ledge and you go off the stage with him, you will **** his recovery as usual. (also the grab box seems weird as sometimes when you think the grab box should of grabbed Falco, it didn't for some reason so there is that issue as well.

The shine stall when recovering against sonic, is something you rarely see with Falco's honestly. I've fought many Falco's and I have only seen one do that (he did it in Melee too where there was no Sonic however so it was already a habit of his) and even with the shine stall HA can most of the time still reach him.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Why wouldn't you recommend CGing Falco? It's free damage and you can pretty much react to all forms of DI. And it only gets easier around mid percents.

I feel like that Falco's that don't properly use shine stall and conserve their DJs when recovering against Sonic are recovering extremely poorly. :/

I mean of course, a lot of the times, it isn't going to matter, but it's still good practice for falco to mix up his recovery timings.

pyrofox13

Smash Rookie
i'd CG falco because from the video neko posted it looks helpful.Even if you only get 1 up grab u can still follow up with a B-air or N-air when you're close to the edge

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
Why wouldn't you recommend CGing Falco? It's free damage and you can pretty much react to all forms of DI. And it only gets easier around mid percents.

I feel like that Falco's that don't properly use shine stall and conserve their DJs when recovering against Sonic are recovering extremely poorly. :/

I mean of course, a lot of the times, it isn't going to matter, but it's still good practice for falco to mix up his recovery timings.
I feel like it takes too long to get to a high-ish percent with just CG'ing, when Side B could potentially kill quicker.

Also, you can't CG if the Falco DI's away from you so thats the main issue.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
I'm sure you can CG Falco from 0%, if not, a little later on, like 10%, even if he DI's away.

I'll test it later though.

Also, even if Side B can lead to kills quicker, you can't dismiss the fact that the Pivot regrab allows Sonic to reposition himself in a way that makes the situation a lot worse than Falco. I feel like it's an option that Sonic has in his back pocket for when he needs to turn the situation around or gain that edge that he needs.

You see what I'm getting at?

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
I'm sure you can CG Falco from 0%, if not, a little later on, like 10%, even if he DI's away.

I'll test it later though.

Also, even if Side B can lead to kills quicker, you can't dismiss the fact that the Pivot regrab allows Sonic to reposition himself in a way that makes the situation a lot worse than Falco. I feel like it's an option that Sonic has in his back pocket for when he needs to turn the situation around or gain that edge that he needs.

You see what I'm getting at?
I tested out Falco DI'ing away already, that's why I don't think it's that good and I have also had Falco's in tournament use it to get away from me. but what does pivot grab do for Sonic that helps him out so much?

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
It lets you change your throws lol. If Sonic's back is to the ledge, what throw options does he have when it comes to sending his opponent off the stage?

One. That's Bthrow. Uthrow, Fthrow, and Dthrow will all send them away from the ledge. Yeah sure, you can combo off an uthrow, but you'd still be sending them away from the ledge.

NOW. What if you could reverse all that? Uthrow and then Pivot Regrab. Guess what? Now you have 3 out of 4 throws that will send Falco off the stage. One that you can combo off of as well, increasing your chances of scoring that KO. Dthrow also Falco at a relatively low angle and Fthrow is releases the opponent a lot faster than Bthrow, meaning that at the most fundemental level, they have less time to react to the DI.

These new throw options far surpass the singular throw option of Bthrow you previous had when Sonic's back was to the ledge.

This is why I feel the Pivot regrab is a reasonably powerful option that no Sonic should dismiss.

And again, if the opponent is suspecting the regrab, they'll always DI in a fashion that makes it impossible for a regrab, making the follow ups that much easier and guareenteed.

If they don't DI. Pivot regrab and kick them off the stage for an easy low % gimp.

Also, I have a hunch that at higher percents, like maybe 15%-40%, a Pivot Regrab is still posssible even if they DI away, simply because of Sonic's sheer speed.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
It lets you change your throws lol. If Sonic's back is to the ledge, what throw options does he have when it comes to sending his opponent off the stage?

One. That's Bthrow. Uthrow, Fthrow, and Dthrow will all send them away from the ledge. Yeah sure, you can combo off an uthrow, but you'd still be sending them away from the ledge.

NOW. What if you could reverse all that? Uthrow and then Pivot Regrab. Guess what? Now you have 3 out of 4 throws that will send Falco off the stage. One that you can combo off of as well, increasing your chances of scoring that KO. Dthrow also Falco at a relatively low angle and Fthrow is releases the opponent a lot faster than Bthrow, meaning that at the most fundemental level, they have less time to react to the DI.

These new throw options far surpass the singular throw option of Bthrow you previous had when Sonic's back was to the ledge.

This is why I feel the Pivot regrab is a reasonably powerful option that no Sonic should dismiss.

And again, if the opponent is suspecting the regrab, they'll always DI in a fashion that makes it impossible for a regrab, making the follow ups that much easier and guareenteed.

If they don't DI. Pivot regrab and kick them off the stage for an easy low % gimp.

Also, I have a hunch that at higher percents, like maybe 15%-40%, a Pivot Regrab is still posssible even if they DI away, simply because of Sonic's sheer speed.
Alright, I'll start to consider pivot grabbing and try to experiment with it,

also, you might be right about re-grab at high percents, so I'll test that out soon too.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Another thing that I'd like to bring up for discussion in this MU is Sonic's autocancels and his tilts.

Both Bair and Fair have reasonably good priority (which is a godsend), and luckily for us, they have the potential to autocancel. Sonic can actually waveland out of Rising AC Bair.

Because of this, you can retreat with this 2 aerials and then cover the space you retreated from with his tilts, like Ftilt and Utilt. (I wouldn't recommend dtilt lol)

While this is a good spacing strategy, it's not all that great because of Falco's lasers. But! If you're in Falco's face, you can potentially play a sort of "aggressive zoning" game where you harass him with maximum spacing from tilts and lagless (essentially, not technically) aerials, that if he gets hit by, he can potentially lose a stock or take a bunch of damage.

What I'm lost on myself, is properly recognizing when you should use these tools. I kinda feel like you use something like this up-close when you're pressuring Falco AND you're on the ground, but you need to get the pressure started in the 1st place, which isn't the easiest thing to do, and then you have to be grounded.

What do you guys think? Can you think of scenarios and situations where something like this would be useful? Because AC Aerials > Tilts is like mad good lol.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
Another thing that I'd like to bring up for discussion in this MU is Sonic's autocancels and his tilts.

Both Bair and Fair have reasonably good priority (which is a godsend), and luckily for us, they have the potential to autocancel. Sonic can actually waveland out of Rising AC Bair.

Because of this, you can retreat with this 2 aerials and then cover the space you retreated from with his tilts, like Ftilt and Utilt. (I wouldn't recommend dtilt lol)

While this is a good spacing strategy, it's not all that great because of Falco's lasers. But! If you're in Falco's face, you can potentially play a sort of "aggressive zoning" game where you harass him with maximum spacing from tilts and lagless (essentially, not technically) aerials, that if he gets hit by, he can potentially lose a stock or take a bunch of damage.

What I'm lost on myself, is properly recognizing when you should use these tools. I kinda feel like you use something like this up-close when you're pressuring Falco AND you're on the ground, but you need to get the pressure started in the 1st place, which isn't the easiest thing to do, and then you have to be grounded.

What do you guys think? Can you think of scenarios and situations where something like this would be useful? Because AC Aerials > Tilts is like mad good lol.
can you Explain what autocancels are?

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Auto-canceling is the act of landing during the beginning or ending frames of an aerial attack and circumventing the lag that would have occured had the character landed in the middle. Most air attacks can be auto-cancelled both during the first few frames or the last few frames, though some cannot be auto-cancelled at the start, at the end, or even both. Every attack has a specific auto-cancelling window. Characters that fail to autocancel can instead L-cancel (outside of Brawl).
http://www.ssbwiki.com/Auto-canceling

---

In layman's terms: it's essentially a small window at the start of a move's animation and the end of the move's animation where if you land during this window, you do not go into landing lag, you simply do your normal landing animation. The reason why this is different from a move ending normally is that you're landing WHILE the animation is still going (ie hasnt finished) as opposed to the animation finishing completely and your character goes back into neutral free fall.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
http://www.ssbwiki.com/Auto-canceling

---

In layman's terms: it's essentially a small window at the start of a move's animation and the end of the move's animation where if you land during this window, you do not go into landing lag, you simply do your normal landing animation. The reason why this is different from a move ending normally is that you're landing WHILE the animation is still going (ie hasnt finished) as opposed to the animation finishing completely and your character goes back into neutral free fall.
Oh, its coming back to me now.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
ACing is more situational than L-canceling. A LOT more situational. In terms of faster, technically, it has less lag because you never going into landing lag animation, you simply go into a hard landing animation which is 4f long.

But in terms of practical speed, it's all situational since you have to take into account the time from when you hit with your aerial to when you can next act in both situations. So it's not just outright better. It's more useful in some situations and less useful in others. AC is probably best used when you playing a spacing and poking game, since you can retreat/approach while rising and suffer no more than 4f lag on hard landing.

Hashtag

Smash Apprentice
I don't really care for ACing Bair, it hits really high from what I've tried with it and is even more situational than AC Fair. AC Fair is actually pretty good and can be used more often than AC Fair due to the range and area it covers. Bair is more linear and seems useful for retreating against larger characters or causing a player to think about approaching.

L cancelled Bair seems way more practical though on a normal basis.

:phone:

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
You're correct. AC Bair is the least practical out of all his AC aerials. It's still great for making characters respect Sonic's back area.

pyrofox13

Smash Rookie
Sonic's tilts are beast. I prefer the U-tilt because it's better for starting combos and keeping combos going. For instance down special —> wavedash —> U-tilt. I know that DI cud throw a wrench in that but Sonic is the FASTEST character in the game so I think, I know I said i think, it'd be easy to follow up on.

His F-tilt I find is good for setting up edgeguards. F-tilt —> HA on falco is 1 stock down 2nd best edgeguard method for Sonic

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Well I was hoping for more people to give their input on the MU since it doesnt seem like we've full discussed it.

If anyone wants to talk more Falco, we can, else we can probably put this on hold and pick a character to discuss.

Tero.

Smash Champion
Can't help. Haven't played a single Falco with Sonic.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
Well I was hoping for more people to give their input on the MU since it doesnt seem like we've full discussed it.

If anyone wants to talk more Falco, we can, else we can probably put this on hold and pick a character to discuss.
I don't have any more to add either, I didn't get to play mango at apex so I was going to see if I could play his Falco but didn't happen.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
I've only played a few matches vs Falco, buuuuuuut:

Stay away from low platforms. They hate you, they love him.

You can uthrow>fsmash>uthrow, but it's really situational and really just a novelty combo. Uthrow fsmash is decent at low percents near the ledge.

ASC tricks hurt him, bad. I dunno why, but I can regularly get 17% off just aerial down b. A fun trick you can do vs him under low plats is vB>sh dair (you'll spike them down but land on the platform), platform drop aerial. Or go for a jab reset/tech chase. :)

side b hop version has situational uses

down b powershield>>>>falco

Umm... just control the pace. Once you're playing his game, you lose.

Tero.

Smash Champion
I've only played a few matches vs Falco, buuuuuuut:

Stay away from low platforms. They hate you, they love him.

You can uthrow>fsmash>uthrow, but it's really situational and really just a novelty combo. Uthrow fsmash is decent at low percents near the ledge.

ASC tricks hurt him, bad. I dunno why, but I can regularly get 17% off just aerial down b. A fun trick you can do vs him under low plats is vB>sh dair (you'll spike them down but land on the platform), platform drop aerial. Or go for a jab reset/tech chase. :)

side b hop version has situational uses

down b powershield>>>>falco

Umm... just control the pace. Once you're playing his game, you lose.
sorry for my ignorance, but what is ASC? I keep reading it
I guess something among the lines of spin cancel?

Planet Piss

Smash Journeyman
At risk of wounding redundant:

There's really nothing special about the Sonic-Falco matchup that differs from other matchups with Falco. It's annoying and probably worse for Sonic, but very winnable because Falco spawns at death percentages, and there is no reason why you should ever be letting a Falco back onstage (without a punish) if he's knocked off. Some basic things which have probably already been mentioned:
-DON'T get below him, you'll lose every time. Ties with utilt and uair counts as a loss for Sonic. Approach from above or in front (if you can get through lasers lol), and Falco's bairs are nasty.
-Tech chase until he gets pushed offstage. Racking up % is not necessary but can make edgegaurding easier.
-Grabs are invaluable. All of them.
-Attacking with specials should only be done if you know you're going to connect, because guys like Falco are good at converting single hits into monster combos, and Sonic's specials are fast with little priority. I like to zip around on platforms/ down b jump all over the place to try and obfuscate my approach so it's not certain where I might attack from.
-Don't stop moving; Falco wants you to stop and shield so he can molest you. if you're getting lasered, it's better to jab, ftilt, or even roll away than it is to shield. From shield, up b works surprisingly well.

Edguarding options:
-ftilt, fair (the heel), dair, and HA all reach below the stage and gimp Falco pretty heavily. Don't be afraid of dairing offstage. Rely mostly on these four moves to edgegaurd him.
-forward b edge cancel -> (dair spike [yes, you can make it back if the stage is deep enough], dair sourspot, fair spike, nair, and reverse bair are all good options against Falco. My favorite after the edge cancel is reverse forward back to the ledge because the fresh, mid-air forward b has surprisingly nasty knockback at any percentage.
-Forcing Falco into recovering onstage with his forward b is a free down b, fair, forward b, or HA.
-Did I mention tech chase? Tech chase.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
With that uthrow fsmash uthrow, you talking about hitting with the sourspot?
Yeah, they have to be behind you a bit, you angle it down, and hit with the elbow on return. If they DI it like they would a usual fsmash, you get a free whatever. It's pretty hilarious, but really situational.

You could probably do it to utilt, or omgggg downb jc nair resets. :o :o :o

Top Bottom