• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Little Mac, W.V.B.A. Champion confirmed for SSB4

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Also Punch-Out has SO much character in it's...well characters, I'd love to see Doc, King Hippo, and Bald Bull incorporated into the game in some way; Boss assist trophy or part of Mac's moves/entrance etc...

I'd go absolutely nuts if Doc was in his victory screen. Or even if he was like PT and walks around in the background eating chocolate bars.

I_hate_usernames

Smash Ace
Also Punch-Out has SO much character in it's...well characters, I'd love to see Doc, King Hippo, and Bald Bull incorporated into the game in some way; Boss assist trophy or part of Mac's moves/entrance etc...
AH-HEM! Yer' seem to be forgetten' someone laddy!

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I would like it a lot if Doc was on the sidelines like the Pokemon Trainer, reacting to him getting and receiving KOs.

Also, I would love to see King Hippo in the game. Somehow, in whatever form. Probably a boss fight.

Maricalistaro

Smash Journeyman
Somebody on gamefaqs posted this. The stars are what sinks it for me. It is absolutely a punch out stage. Does that mean we will absoulutely 100% get little mac? No but this does increase his chances I'd imagine. The punch out games had a bunch of "Circuits" to fight though this one is a "Super Smash Bros. Circuit" if you will. It's actually pretty darn clever.

First off, the audience is human, so you can rule out any possibility that this is a Kirby themed stage (all Kirby boxing rings have Kirby characters instead). The marquee's in the background are all dot styled, which is consistent with the marquees in Punch Out Wii, and even the title screen and round indicators for Mike Tyson's Punch Out.

All logos in Punch Out Wii are adorned with clusters of stars, which are usually in 3's because triple star punches are the most powerful punch in the game, as well as the "leaf vines" on the sides (forgive me; I don't know the term for this) and a ribbon at the top. The logo in the ring, while being smash themed, shares all of these characteristics.

3 star cluster on bottom: http://i.imgur.com/QSCAXpe.jpg
Minor/Major/World Circuit Emblems: http://i.imgur.com/oWzpteX.jpg

The ring ropes are also identical in both color and configuration as the Major Circuit ring in Punch Out Wii. Similarly, the corners are all identical colors and positions as the Punch Out Wii corners.

Major Circuit ropes, and World Circuit ribbon: http://i.imgur.com/UV4O3mB.png

Also, it's worth noting that the final fight in Punch Out Wii, Mr. Sandman, has a very particular entrance for both his Title Defense and Contender fights. He approaches the ring while there's a green laser light show that goes on behind him. Well, check this out...

Sandman intro: http://i.imgur.com/hvnTGDl.png
Mario in the ring: http://i.imgur.com/Odu2I7I.jpg

Same green laser show.

It would be real silly to think this is not a Punch Out themed stage. There is an abundance of intentional details that suggest otherwise.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Somebody on gamefaqs posted this. The stars are what sinks it for me. It is absolutely a punch out stage. Does that mean we will absoulutely 100% get little mac? No but this does increase his chances I'd imagine. The punch out games had a bunch of "Circuits" to fight though this one is a "Super Smash Bros. Circuit" if you will. It's actually pretty darn clever.

First off, the audience is human, so you can rule out any possibility that this is a Kirby themed stage (all Kirby boxing rings have Kirby characters instead). The marquee's in the background are all dot styled, which is consistent with the marquees in Punch Out Wii, and even the title screen and round indicators for Mike Tyson's Punch Out.

All logos in Punch Out Wii are adorned with clusters of stars, which are usually in 3's because triple star punches are the most powerful punch in the game, as well as the "leaf vines" on the sides (forgive me; I don't know the term for this) and a ribbon at the top. The logo in the ring, while being smash themed, shares all of these characteristics.

The ring ropes are also identical in both color and configuration as the Major Circuit ring in Punch Out Wii. Similarly, the corners are all identical colors and positions as the Punch Out Wii corners.

Also, it's worth noting that the final fight in Punch Out Wii, Mr. Sandman, has a very particular entrance for both his Title Defense and Contender fights. He approaches the ring while there's a green laser light show that goes on behind him. Well, check this out...

Same green laser show.

It would be real silly to think this is not a Punch Out themed stage. There is an abundance of intentional details that suggest otherwise.
Give this man a medal!

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Yeah i just read and commented on that there as well, theres some nice details that match up like he said. Definitely hope hes onto something with this

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Awesome analysis Maricalistaro! Totally agree it's a punch-out!! Stage but I hadn't noticed all those details!!!

Of course stage doesn't = character but this is just more clout to the case that Mac will be joining the fight this time around and the odds are weighing heavily in his favor.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I don't know why some people doubt that Little Mac is playable in SSB4 when the Villager intro trailer showed a stage that was blatantly obviously from Punch-Out!! series. I saw the stage and I immediately knew that it was Little Mac's stage and that he is definitely in the game. God, some people are so negative like Nancy.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Reminds me of when people thought Animal Crossing Villager wasn't going to be in Brawl despite Smashville being revealed. What derps, mirite?
Yeah, Sakurai planned to put Villager in Brawl but then decided not to put him.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

Same green laser show.

Pretty impressive analysis!

Hadn't noticed the green lasers from Mr.Sandman fight until you brought it up.

I was going to reference the vine things, but I didn't know the term for that either. XD

I really hope Mac is the next newcomer revealed. I want that trailer! And those pics too, as well as an awesome poster to put as wallpaper.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Macs at the top of my "retro" list tho I know he's not technically retro anymore, I actually feel like we migh get Little-Mac and Takamaru as a west vs east revived old school thing AND the duck hunt dog OR Mach rider as our "retro" spot ( this is awesome IMO Im a retro fan and want all of them! ). Personally pulling for duck hunt dog over Mach rider AND I'd also really like mike jones BUT like I'd also really like geno as a third party I know him and mikes chances are extremely slim.

Sinn

Smash Lord
All logos in Punch Out Wii are adorned with clusters of stars, which are usually in 3's because triple star punches are the most powerful punch in the game, as well as the "leaf vines" on the sides (forgive me; I don't know the term for this) and a ribbon at the top.
I was going to reference the vine things, but I didn't know the term for that either. XD
For the record, the vine things are called laurels, specifically a laurel wreath.

Yeah, Sakurai planned to put Villager in Brawl but then decided not to put him.
I thought that he'd considered it, but at the time couldn't decide how to implement such a "peaceful" character and simply opted for a stage instead. Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly. In any case, Mac doesn't have the drawback of being a "peaceful" character, and he was already an assist trophy, so no doubt his odds are dramatically higher than Villager's were.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
This is probably going to be a REALLY short lived image (with Mac's reveal around the corner, possibly)

But I made this.

It's not too creepy, is it? I just want to see the new Little Mac design in non cel-shaded 3D real bad!

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Thanks!

That icon appears everytime you win a match (as it takes you back to the title screen) so I thought it was fitting.

Mega Man never really had an icon... But a gear is... yeah, not exactly representing him.
They could have gone with Mega Man's helmet, or the 8-bit Mega Man 1-UP from the games.. or the Buster cannon if all else fails.

I was originally JUST working on the Punch Out Icon, then one thing led to another. XD

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I agree that Doc Louis should be in the sidelines like the Pokemon Trainer. Well if it's possible anyway.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Thanks!

That icon appears everytime you win a match (as it takes you back to the title screen) so I thought it was fitting.

Mega Man never really had an icon... But a gear is... yeah, not exactly representing him.
They could have gone with Mega Man's helmet, or the 8-bit Mega Man 1-UP from the games.. or the Buster cannon if all else fails.

I was originally JUST working on the Punch Out Icon, then one thing led to another. XD
EDIT: You mentioned my point. lol

Ninka_kiwi

Smash Ace
Also one thing I noticed with the boxing stage is that certain objects in the background have a sorta toon shading to them. Specifically the
speakers and the television screen, giving off a sort of graphical flair that Punch Out Wii had. I'm almost 100% sure we will be seeing Little Mac in the game, and possibly one of the earliest of character reveals.
On an unrelated note, this may quickly become my favorite smash stage, as I love the idea around it.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Yeah, the Boxing Ring stage is one of the best looking stages in Smash 4, actually.

(The best looking stage in SSB4 by far is Battlefield.)

Groose

Smash Champion
I'd like to join the Nintendo Fun Cl---- I mean, Little Mac's supporters list today! The NES game is a classic and the Wii revival is probably the most underrated Wii game. I'd compare it to Kid Icarus in terms of charm and character. Retro Studios and Monolith Soft are Nintendo's golden boys, but I seriously like Next Level Games.

If Mac were to make it into the game, I could see him being a quick and dangerous character akin to Brawl's Toon Link (obviously without the projectiles and with better defences). Those are precisely the type of characters I love.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Yeah, the Boxing Ring is the best stage I've seen so far. Honestly, after seeing that stage I thought that we would see Lil' Mac popup in the trailer at some point. I still think he has a good chance too.

Groose

Smash Champion
I agree that the Boxing Ring is the best stage.

Though... Gerudo Valley in the 3DS version wins by default. As soon as I saw the stage, I could just hear the music in my mind. Da da da da, da da da da, da da da DA!

Wigglytuff ★

Smash Cadet
The boxing ring stage is BEAUTIFUL. Just really cool all around. It's a really fun take on a pretty basic stage layout.

The fact that it says "Smash Bros" though, despite clearly being Punch Out-inspired, worries me that all we're gonna see of Little Mac in SSB4 is a stage and an AT.

D

Deleted member

"Smash Bros. Circuit".

Problem solved. Make it a ring for Little Mac that takes place in a new Circuit for Smash Bros. (which it likely is).

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
The name "Smash Circuit" to me actually sounds a bit like a Mario Kart stage for some reason.

golden009

Smash Rookie
I'd love to see the adventure mode involve boxing/that stage in some way. Dunno, maybe that could be where the beginning fight is? (like how mario and kirby fight at the start of Subspace.)

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Hmm.. Well Punch Out! IS supposed to take place in real life. (With a Nintendo spin to it).

So if some sort of multi-universal tournament was headed to Earth, with a whole bunch of fighters, I think, granted people of Earth would take it in a good way, they would probably make a whole new arena for it.

That's the vibe I'm getting from the Boxing ring stage. And the Smash Bros. modifications are made because none of the Smash Bros characters would fit with the W.V.B.A rule. (Yes.. I know Super Punch Out has random characters using staves, kicks, headbutts... but if Aran Ryan is anything to go by, cheating is perfectly acceptable in WVBA as long as the boxing gloves are on. This, however, is like a special ring made for a special set of rules)

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
The one thing keeping me from saying the boxing stage is a Little Mac/Punch-out stage is the lack of anything relating to the WVBA. But Nintendo/Sakurai are probably just trying to hide any Punch-Out references to hide its true identity.

D

Deleted member

I wonder how Sakurai's going to handle Giga Mac...

Instinct tells me Final Smash, but I have a vibe that Sakurai's got something special planned....

Top Bottom