• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Little Mac, W.V.B.A. Champion confirmed for SSB4

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I'm completely torn on his Final Smash.
Giga Mac makes so much sense... And I want to see his Star Punch as part of his regular moveset. With ways to make it stronger mid-game.

I'd love to see Doc Louis, somehow, maybe in victory/losing scenes. Or maybe as the Pokémon Trainer (but I'm sure he'd get on everyone's nerves, just like the PT).

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
About the boxing ring stage's name, I think it could very well go by the (generic) name of "Boxing Ring."

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
I'm completely torn on his Final Smash.
Giga Mac makes so much sense... And I want to see his Star Punch as part of his regular moveset. With ways to make it stronger mid-game.

I'd love to see Doc Louis, somehow, maybe in victory/losing scenes. Or maybe as the Pokémon Trainer (but I'm sure he'd get on everyone's nerves, just like the PT).
Im not a fan of the gigamac final smash idea myself, im sure they could do something much funner with mac than have him turn into a mutant version of himself. I dont know what they could do exactly, but anything would be better IMO, i dont want to have to catch my enemies as a possibly slower hulking mac when his character seems better suited to something more agile (not that giga mac couldnt be fast but i doubt he would be).

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Im not a fan of the gigamac final smash idea myself, im sure they could do something much funner with mac than have him turn into a mutant version of himself. I dont know what they could do exactly, but anything would be better IMO, i dont want to have to catch my enemies as a possibly slower hulking mac when his character seems better suited to something more agile (not that giga mac couldnt be fast but i doubt he would be).

I'm sure whatever they do with Mac's final smash will be great. Perhaps the bicycle/joggin session in mid fight would be hillarious.

For his star punch KO. His regular UP+B could start sort of weak, but the more you counterpunch, the stronger it gets. This means one would have to rely on it to build power for his UP+B.
1 star = Low knockback (similar to non-sweet spotted dolphin blade)
2 stars = Mid knockback (similar to Link's final slash of his Up+b on air)
3 stars = High knockback (similar to a vertical Falcon Punch)

Davidreamcatcha

Smash Ace
There was actually a Little Mac moveset in a previous Make Your Move that incorporated Doc. While I was not a fan of the moveset personally, I did like how some of Doc was incorporated. I.E. Doc follows him in the background, Trainer-style, and Mac can taunt by him to have a Snake-style conversation about the opponent.

Sinn

Smash Lord
I'm sure whatever they do with Mac's final smash will be great. Perhaps the bicycle/joggin session in mid fight would be hillarious.

For his star punch KO. His regular UP+B could start sort of weak, but the more you counterpunch, the stronger it gets. This means one would have to rely on it to build power for his UP+B.
1 star = Low knockback (similar to non-sweet spotted dolphin blade)
2 stars = Mid knockback (similar to Link's final slash of his Up+b on air)
3 stars = High knockback (similar to a vertical Falcon Punch)
So do you think that he'd have a Marth/Ike-esque counter move that, when performed successfully, would increase this star count for him? I think that'd be a fantastic idea.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Just my opinion:

Balrog is somewhat boring to watch/play as in Street Fighter...a bland fighter...I don't see Mac being all that interesting either, unless they gave him more than just punching attacks...but then he wouldn't be Little Mac.

If Sakurai and his team could give him an interesting moveset that wouldn't take away from the character he is then I wouldn't mind him being included at all.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Just my opinion:

Balrog is somewhat boring to watch/play as in Street Fighter...a bland fighter...I don't see Mac being all that interesting either, unless they gave him more than just punching attacks...but then he wouldn't be Little Mac.

If Sakurai and his team could give him an interesting moveset that wouldn't take away from the character he is then I wouldn't mind him being included at all.
what if they make flying stars go everywhere when he hits a good smash or something? it would be exciting, while being true to the character.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
My Giga Mac theory for the story is that Kamek magically enlarged Mac and turned him rabid. The player will have to beat up Giga Mac (who is just Little Mac in an unlockable alt costume and enlarged) in order to bring him back to his senses. Character Unlocked!

I would really rather not see Giga Mac as his Final Smash... It just seems silly in a not good way.

I would rather see Mac get a kill-combo like Link/Toon Link/Ike where Mac connects with the first punch and then starts a series of increasingly fast punches until his fists are just a blinding blur, leaving enemies with +120% damage and then dazed with stars over their heads, allowing Mac to finish them off however he wants.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I kind of see why everyone's against Giga Mac. The guy is pretty much everything Little Mac is NOT.

But DON'T take Dempsey Roll away from me. :( That move is BRUTAL!!! It could work like Link's final smash, dragging multiple opponents in his vortex of fists!

J/K btw. There's a lot of stuff they could do with his FS. On one hand I want him to be a serious fighter, but on the other I want him to represent the goofyness of Punch Out

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
There is no reason for anyone to think Little Mac would be a lame, generic boxer character. He could be as unique as Megaman.

I feel like Little Mac should be a light, quick, combo-heavy character with a variety of different punches, hooks, jabs, uppercuts, counters, blocks, ducks and dodges. Think a swordless Marth mixed with Metaknight. Similar to the Punch-Out games, Mac's moves are all light and quick, and while each individual hit doesn't do much damage, it all ads up very quickly. Performing certain combos should fill up a 3-level star gauge, which powers up his attacks for devastating Star Powered Punches. I also really like the Doc Louis cheering Mac on and giving advice about his opponents. This would also flesh out his character and ad to the whole Punch-Out vibe.

-------------------------------------

But enough of me restating the old. I feel I've had an amazing new idea for Little Mac. I skimmed through this whole thread to see if anyone else had come up with the idea, and only one person really touched on it. I took it to another level.

A potential move of Little Mac's that few have really explored is so simple, yet so important to Punch-Out as a whole:

MAKING YOUR OPPONENT DIZZY

In the Punch-Out series, a main feature is Little Mac's ability to hit his opponent in a weak spot, causing them to be momentarily stunned. This should be a HUGE draw to his character in Smash Bros.

It could be done in a number of ways. It could be as simple as being his Neutral B move, but I think this would be better reserved for his signature Flurry Punches or Star Uppercut. Another option could to have it be his Down B. It could be a counter move, not unlike Marth's, but instead of simply hitting the opponent after dodging their attack, Little Mac could hit his opponent with a stunning move, at which point they become dizzy for a bit and unable to move, setting them up for a flurry of Mac's quick combos or a devastating Star Punch. It would work similar to Yoshi's neutral B, but maybe make the stun last a bit longer.

But here's the real kicker.

In the Punch-Out game for the Wii, all the different opponents have a stereotypical dizzy icon representing whatever nation of origin the character happens to be from swirling around their head. For instance, the Frenchman Glass Joe when stunned, sees croissants. When Piston Honda, from Japan, is stunned, he's sees sushi orbiting his head. The Canadian Bear Hugger, sees trout swimming around his head. It's a very humorous effect, and something I really enjoyed in Punch-Out Wii.

So I decided to take this little idea and run with it in Smash Bros. Every character could have their own dizzy icon.

THINK OF THE POSSIBILITIES!

When Mario or Luigi or Peach are stunned by Little Mac, they see little mushrooms swirling around their head.
Bowser: Little Peach-es running around (or Paratroopas?)
Link, Zelda, Ganondorf: Tiny Triforces
DK, Diddy: Bananas (obviously, it was already in Punch-Out)
Yoshi: Little eggs
Wario: Little coins
Kirby: Little stars
Samus: Little Metroids
Fox and Falco: Little Arwings
Ice Climbers: Little eggplants
Pikachu and the other pokemon: Little Pokeballs (or Pidgeys?)
Olimar: Pikmin
Sonic: Little Tails-es, or rings
Wii Fit Trainer: Wii Balance Boards
Duck Hunt Dog: Little ducks

Etc. and so forth. Gawd it would be a hilarious effect!

Whatcha think?

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
J/K btw. There's a lot of stuff they could do with his FS. On one hand I want him to be a serious fighter, but on the other I want him to represent the goofyness of Punch Out
That's the beauty of it. Mac is probably the single-most serious thing in Punch-Out!!!

Which is saying a lot, considering he's a 4-5 foot youngin' in a pink sweatsuit chasing down the single most diabetic character in history.

I_hate_usernames

Smash Ace
Lil Mac would defiantly be unique, in fact he'd probably be one of the only lightweight melee only characters, which suits my play-style juuust fine...

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
There is no reason for anyone to think Little Mac would be a lame, generic boxer character. He could be as unique as Megaman.

I feel like Little Mac should be a light, quick, combo-heavy character with a variety of different punches, hooks, jabs, uppercuts, counters, blocks, ducks and dodges. Think a swordless Marth mixed with Metaknight. Similar to the Punch-Out games, Mac's moves are all light and quick, and while each individual hit doesn't do much damage, it all ads up very quickly. Performing certain combos should fill up a 3-level star gauge, which powers up his attacks for devastating Star Powered Punches. I also really like the Doc Louis cheering Mac on and giving advice about his opponents. This would also flesh out his character and ad to the whole Punch-Out vibe.

-------------------------------------

But enough of me restating the old. I feel I've had an amazing new idea for Little Mac. I skimmed through this whole thread to see if anyone else had come up with the idea, and only one person really touched on it. I took it to another level.

A potential move of Little Mac's that few have really explored is so simple, yet so important to Punch-Out as a whole:

MAKING YOUR OPPONENT DIZZY

In the Punch-Out series, a main feature is Little Mac's ability to hit his opponent in a weak spot, causing them to be momentarily stunned. This should be a HUGE draw to his character in Smash Bros.

It could be done in a number of ways. It could be as simple as being his Neutral B move, but I think this would be better reserved for his signature Flurry Punches or Star Uppercut. Another option could to have it be his Down B. It could be a counter move, not unlike Marth's, but instead of simply hitting the opponent after dodging their attack, Little Mac could hit his opponent with a stunning move, at which point they become dizzy for a bit and unable to move, setting them up for a flurry of Mac's quick combos or a devastating Star Punch. It would work similar to Yoshi's neutral B, but maybe make the stun last a bit longer.

But here's the real kicker.

In the Punch-Out game for the Wii, all the different opponents have a stereotypical dizzy icon representing whatever nation of origin the character happens to be from swirling around their head. For instance, the Frenchman Glass Joe when stunned, sees croissants. When Piston Honda, from Japan, is stunned, he's sees sushi orbiting his head. The Canadian Bear Hugger, sees trout swimming around his head. It's a very humorous effect, and something I really enjoyed in Punch-Out Wii.

So I decided to take this little idea and run with it in Smash Bros. Every character could have their own dizzy icon.

THINK OF THE POSSIBILITIES!

When Mario or Luigi or Peach are stunned by Little Mac, they see little mushrooms swirling around their head.
Bowser: Little Peach-es running around (or Paratroopas?)
Link, Zelda, Ganondorf: Tiny Triforces
DK, Diddy: Bananas (obviously, it was already in Punch-Out)
Yoshi: Little eggs
Wario: Little coins
Kirby: Little stars
Samus: Little Metroids
Fox and Falco: Little Arwings
Ice Climbers: Little eggplants
Pikachu and the other pokemon: Little Pokeballs (or Pidgeys?)
Olimar: Pikmin
Sonic: Little Tails-es, or rings
Wii Fit Trainer: Wii Balance Boards
Duck Hunt Dog: Little ducks

Etc. and so forth. Gawd it would be a hilarious effect!

Whatcha think?

I love this!

Yes, I keep forgetting that inducing dizzyness should be part of his moves. And assigned to the counter (instead of it having knockback) would be a cool way of making it different from the rest!
As for the dizzy animation ideas, I think it´s a brilliant idea. XD

They'd just have to work the dizzy punch in a way that isn't too OP (then again, Mewtwo was near bottom tier despite having a dizzying move so..)

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Just my opinion:

Balrog is essentially what I'd like to call the "anti-boxer". He's a dirty fighter, and not a good representative for a boxing character at all. His brutal fighting in the games just does not fit with the sport. His boxing style is also very different from Mac's.

I'm not gonna bother explaining why Mac wouldn't be boring to someone who lacks knowledge to boxing, but look at Dudley from Street Fighter and Steve from Tekken. I know Steve is on the unrealistic side, but these two are one of the most interesting characters in their respective games, and are much MORE true to boxing. In fact, I think Dudley's moveset, which in itself is influenced by Hajime no Ippo, is a great influence for Lil Mac. (Even though I'd rather something more true to Punch Out.)

Here's a video of my favorite Dudley player. (Look at the end particularly, you'll see Dudley preforming the Dempsey Roll.)

Ninka_kiwi

Smash Ace
Considering I love using Dudley casually in Third Strike, I'd love to see how Sakurai's team would handle a boxer character. Especially if they add something like a star power system where you are rewarded more stars for countering attacks after dodging, increasing the power of one of you smash attacks.

You know, if something like that were implemented, I just might have to main Little Mac.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Balrog is essentially what I'd like to call the "anti-boxer". He's a dirty fighter, and not a good representative for a boxing character at all. His brutal fighting in the games just does not fit with the sport. His boxing style is also very different from Mac's.

I'm not gonna bother explaining why Mac wouldn't be boring to someone who lacks knowledge to boxing, but look at Dudley from Street Fighter and Steve from Tekken. I know Steve is on the unrealistic side, but these two are one of the most interesting characters in their respective games, and are much MORE true to boxing. In fact, I think Dudley's moveset, which in itself is influenced by Hajime no Ippo, is a great influence for Lil Mac. (Even though I'd rather something more true to Punch Out.)

Here's a video of my favorite Dudley player. (Look at the end particularly, you'll see Dudley preforming the Dempsey Roll.)
Same idea, punch punch punch, that's all I said about Balrog/Mac :p

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
If the reason you don't find Mac or any boxer interesting because they only punch, then you are pretty narrow-minded.

All Marth does is swing his sword, that did not stop him from being a fan favorite. Or do you find him boring too? Because, you'd be alone on that.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yeah, anyone who would dismiss Mac on the basis of only punching clearly underestimates Sakurai's ability to create interesting movesets out of very little or practically nothing. At least Mac is a fighter, more than can be said about several characters who have gotten in already with interesting movesets.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Little Mac is pretty much my most wanted newcomer at this point. And yeah, honestly, the people who go on about "all he cn does iz punch!!1!" clearly need to realize that boxing as a fighting style actually has quite a bit of depth and flair to it. It's not as simple as saying "just punch."

Not to mention, a Star system would be awesome to see, as well. It just adds to Mac's flair.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Same here. He's my most wanted character (if it weren't because a much much more unlikely character is first on my list).

There's the fact that I like the guy as a character. And I LOVE the idea of a "mere" boxer taking down supernatural beings like Bowser, Mewtwo, Ganondorf, etc. There's also the fact that I love boxing through a vicious cycle. (Loved Punch Out, so I watched Hajime no Ippo, loved Hajime no Ippo so I played more Punch Out, loved them more so I main boxing characters in fighting games, etc).
Punch Out was also created by the very same mind who made my childhood favorite game, StarTropics.

That.... and the fact that Little Mac is a Nintendo icon. Seriously, if we took a trip back to the mid 80's, Punch Out was all the rage. First screen of Captain N opening, two arcade games with a 3rd one being a spinoff. A nes and a snes game. And probably the first Nintendo game to feature a real life character liscence. That's got to account for something.

I'm actually surprised it took THIS LONG to heavily consider Mac as as SSB candidate. (And I love just how much Mac's support has increased since Brawl. Thank you everyone, and thank you Next Level Games!) :D

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Come to think of it, there's no supporter's list on the OP, you should add one and see how many supporters will be on your side.
Alright. A fair idea. Will be a bit time consuming, but I'll do it little by little. XD

But hey, I'm actually glad I have to scroll through 12 pages of 95% support. :)

SirPainsalot

Smash Apprentice
It's unfair to say that Little Mac would be boring.
Name another character that would be punching like Little Mac?
Besides the Villager of course.

I could see him as a combo character, and the more hits he makes in rapid succession, the more stars he gains or something to that effect.

Final Smash can be many things, the normal thing to do though following the wii version is Giga Mac though.

I just hope Sakurai doesn't ignores the Punch-Out Wii version (great game btw) if he makes him a character. It would be a Sakurai thing to do.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Done making the support list.

Can anybody help me out with the SPOILERS code? Otherwise it'll be one HUGE OP.

Punch Out Wii is the best Punch Out to date.

It fuses the best things from Punch Out (nes) and Super Punch Out! (Except the super-fast punches.. and the power meter, but I prefer stars)

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
For Spoilers, do {Collapse} {/Collapse}

but with normal [ ] brackets.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Done making the support list.

Can anybody help me out with the SPOILERS code? Otherwise it'll be one HUGE OP.

Punch Out Wii is the best Punch Out to date.

It fuses the best things from Punch Out (nes) and Super Punch Out! (Except the super-fast punches.. and the power meter, but I prefer stars)

I'm not fully sure why the extra blank spoiler tag sometimes appears... Usually it happens when you're messing with the formats, such as making it aligned to the center instead of the default. If you're determined to get rid of that, I'd select the collapse tags and everything in between and hit the "Remove Formatting" button in top left, then make sure the collapse tags are on separate paragraphs from the collapsed text, and then retry the interior formatting.

It's a pain, though. People can deal with having an extra spoiler tag. :p

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I'm not fully sure why the extra blank spoiler tag sometimes appears... Usually it happens when you're messing with the formats, such as making it aligned to the center instead of the default. If you're determined to get rid of that, I'd select the collapse tags and everything in between and hit the "Remove Formatting" button in top left, then make sure the collapse tags are on separate paragraphs from the collapsed text, and then retry the interior formatting.

It's a pain, though. People can deal with having an extra spoiler tag. :p
Oh thanks for the tip!
Will do that later. Took me a while to do this, I hope more people don't mind the extra spoiler tag for a while. XD
-
If there's any mistake (labled supporter when one's not, or vice-versa, or listed more than once, etc) feel free to tell me!

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
One thing I did notice is that under the movesets, you listed Venus of the Desert Bloom as Venus of the Desert Moon.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Haha, no problem. Just thought I'd help out.

Top Bottom