• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link Social Thread

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Link has great KO power considering he's one of the best characters in the game at edgeguarding.

rsniteblaze

Smash Rookie
I haven't had much time to meet up with friends to play 2.6 yet so I've been only playing CPUs, mostly Fox. I discovered that you can pretty much combo the close-range boomerang into itself at low percentages. Just get in close, downward angle boomerang, take a step forward during the hit stun, and repeat. You can juggle a level 9 Fox all the way across Final Destination until he's at 100%+ and finish with a spin attack. Has anyone else tried this? I'm really curious if this actually works against human opponents or not.

NaijaboyIrin

Smash Apprentice
Sarix said:
Has anyone tried using AGT to get onto platforms? I've been playing around with it and I'm finding it could lead to some great platform control since Link shoots up so fast. You can follow up with an L-Canceled aerial or waveland onto the platform from my testing so far.
I have. I personally prefer just wavelanding onto them, but AGT is good for mixups.
Did you know that if you time your DJ just right on Battlefield or Dreamland, Link lands perfectly on the top platform without needing to waveland? It's really good for vertical chasing.

Also, is DACUS a thing again? It seems to go way farther than it did before.

shadow0x0cloud

Smash Apprentice
You can also do an agt downward from a perfectly timed double jump to Waveland and catch the bomb you threw. You can also agt again if you do it right.

Just some AGT trivia

Sarix

Smash Ace
I have. I personally prefer just wavelanding onto them, but AGT is good for mixups.
Did you know that if you time your DJ just right on Battlefield or Dreamland, Link lands perfectly on the top platform without needing to waveland? It's really good for vertical chasing.
I've done that a few times before with Link's DJ but I never perfected it. I agree that AGT is pretty great for Link's mix-up game. I prefer using AGT for platforms since I tend to use mix-ups often in my play style, guessing games are just fun like that. I think people would be crazy not to use AGT with Link, it's basically an air dash and it's a lot of mobility for Link. You get an extra approach option, improved recovery, spacing on demand, etc. Overall I think the addition of AGT to the system was one of Link's bigger buffs imo.

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
I really don't like the new boomerang. If Link is so prone to being pressured, why make him have to play that much closer to the opponent's pressure game? And I love how the range was cut to SLIGHTLY under what I normally use it at. And the increased return speed means it doesn't stay out nearly as long and is that much less useful for zoning imo (though I'm sure someone might argue that it means you can throw it again sooner. But I'd rather have it retain its presence than be able to throw it a few frames quicker. It's usually not necessary to throw it again that quickly anyway). It's incredibly uncanny for someone who's been using this character for over a decade to see his boomerang go like 4 feet. I'd trade whatever new speed it has for its old range at the drop of a hat. Comboability is whatever. It pops them up. Like everything else. Just a go-to generic make-this-usable angle that's given to everything. Zair, Dtilt, second swing of fair(Love that actually), etc. And the way the boomerang feels to use. It has no force behind it when I use it which also throws me off. And his back air is still garbage from what I can see.

I like his new DACUS length though. And that dash attack animation made me fangirl a bit. Notgay.

Not writing this right now to ***** and moan about something that they're doing for the community (well, I sort of am.) But I just wanted to put my opinion out since I'm really getting frustrated with using this. If I don't say anything then there's no chance of it getting better. Unless someone else says something. Or whatever. My main problem is really that it doesn't suit the playstyle I've established with him. At all. And it's really frustrating.

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
Yeah bair is good but I agree with the rest of your post.
I'm so glad I'm not simply fabricating this grievance and someone else agrees.

Though I don't see how in any universe bair can be considered "good". It doesn't do anything at low percentages except tack on a little bit of damage (assuming both of the kicks want to connect, because the first one still goes over their head unless you catch them in midair. And it doesn't even put them at any decent distance to be used to keep them away), and at higher percentages, the first kick still has a tendency to knock them away from the second. And in the middle there aren't really any great followups from what I can see (Maybe dash attack depending on DI? Yeah, I think that works. But the move doesn't land properly consistently enough for my taste). Even that bair - grab combo doesn't seem to work correctly as it did in 2.1 or perhaps demo 1(?) or Melee. It going over their heads still also hurts it as an OOS option. I was being hyperbolic when I said it was garbage, but I do not think it's good by any means. I guess if you fast fall it on shield it's safe (Or at least it seems that way to me), but I still don't like it. I also feel that it doesn't really lends to his playstyle very well and doesn't compliment much. Don't misunderstand, I'm not saying "Give this ***** a new back air that does EVERYTHING!", but it still seems to retain the problems that I had with it previously. But I don't really care about his bair and if there's some different way to utilize it that makes it good in your mind, I'd be glad to hear it and be open-minded to it. I'm not really trying to state my opinion as fact here in regards to his bair either, but rather to put my thoughts down so someone can show me if I'm wrong, which is what I was half-hoping to attain with my complaint about the boomerang. And if not, then whatever my point will just remain.

I'm more concerned with the new boomerang deconstructing the entire established playstyle and Link's zoning game, which is what he was based around.

Xenozoa425

Smash Ace
NNID
tehross425
3DS FC
3754-7153-5146
Bair has a whole lot of uses. It's a great approach tool that's relatively safe on shield if you reverse it after jumping. You can follow up with a boomerang and set up a nice clean Fair, or use it as an edgeguard with just a boomerang. You can use it to start/extend combos or lead it into a jab/grab/shield grab, which then leads into a ton of more options with dthrow and uthrow.

I used to dislike the new rang a lot, and I still do to some extent, but I just adapt and deal with it. Also speaking of rang, me and a friend were doing some Link dittos last night and found that throwing rang to the opposite side of the stage where a person is recovering, and letting it come back w/o catching it can lead to some nice angles and seems fairly useful for edgeguarding/gimping. Need to experiment with this some more.

RomeDogg

Smash Journeyman
Yeah his new boomerang will always be lame but anyway bair isn't suppose to have a lot of knockback because it is for comboing. Its really good for comboing too btw. It can lead into itself, nair, jabs, grabs, and whatever else.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
I would love new rang more if I could swallow my distaste for the animation. That doesn't stop me from using it because it's good though.

Got 4th in both singles and teamsies yesterday. Recorded a set with me and Ally (Ike) in WSF. I lost 0-2, but it was fairly close. Also beat another Ike earlier in tournament with Link, but that was not recorded. Played some Link in doubles, won a set with him and lost the 4th place game vs a Luigi and Sonic team.

BryE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChaserTech
Yo guys, I played a bit of the 2.6 Link today and I have mixed feelings about the new boomerang.

I like it because I can extend combos and I like the faster startup time (and because of the new hitbox on an empty boomerang throw lol). But now I have to relearn the trajectory of it, which isn't too much of a problem. Not only that, but the range is smaller. So you need to think twice about spamming boomerang now. In the end, I'll probably learn to like it more.

Also bair's good, whatchu talkin' about?

I would love new rang more if I could swallow my distaste for the animation.
Agreed. I can't seem to ignore how weird that animation is.

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
I never said bair should have a lot of knockback. My main issue with it is that it only seems to do anything at specific percentages (Lower percentages not lending enough advantage for a legitimate followup and higher percentages they get hit out of the second kick) and that the first kick goes over their heads. Combine those two and it never seems to work properly for me. I guess a lot of moves are percentage specific though. It's mainly the kick going over their heads and the two kicks seemingly never linking properly that makes me think it's not that good. But whatevs. I still use bair a hell of a lot regardless. And if it actually connected I would really have no problem. I just don't remember having this issue with it in Bwarl or Melee.
I probably shouldn't have added the thing about bair because I knew it would only detract from the argument. But live and learn I guess.

The new animation I didn't complain about because I'm sure it's just a WIP and I didn't think it fair to ***** about it. But it looks really robotic and, as I said, has no force behind it. I just want the old boomerang back tbh. I didn't have an issue with it (Aside from the catching thing that's gimped me far too many ****ing times when he decides to catch it instead of grabbing the ledge.) I couldn't care less about the speed and the combo extension thing seems superfluous. The 2.1 rang was also a good combo starter. But that got changes regardless. I don't know why they felt it had to serve the same role again but with its range taken away. It's like.. Take Ike's Fair, cut the range in half and speed it up a little bit. It's not Fair anymore(well, the input is) and its use just completely changed. It would also probably end up being a negative change because of the range loss alone because Ike plays around his huge reach.

The reason why I'm trying to not resign myself to "I'll learn to like it more" is because I actually won't like it more, I'll just grow used to it. That doesn't mean that I find it superior or that I don't want the old one back. So that's why I just want my opinion to be known so that there's a chance of it being taken into account. It's not like this is a Sakurai game where all of our complaints mean absolutely nothing. I just know it can change for the better if I express my problems with it. So in short, I really don't like the new one. At all.

That is all.

BryE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChaserTech
I never said bair should have a lot of knockback. My main issue with it is that it only seems to do anything at specific percentages (Lower percentages not lending enough advantage for a legitimate followup and higher percentages they get hit out of the second kick) and that the first kick goes over their heads. Combine those two and it never seems to work properly for me. I guess a lot of moves are percentage specific though. It's mainly the kick going over their heads and the two kicks seemingly never linking properly that makes me think it's not that good. But whatevs. I still use bair a hell of a lot regardless. And if it actually connected I would really have no problem. I just don't remember having this issue with it in Bwarl or Melee.

If you're not connecting both hits of Bair, you're not timing/spacing it properly.
That's like saying that Falcon's Nair cannot connect properly if you aren't spacing it right.

Furthermore, you have a good amount of options out of bair at lower percentages.
From a SH Bair you can grab, do another bair, utilt, usmash, and dsmash.
You shouldn't really use it at higher percentages that much unless you're walling off someone near the ledge. In fact, you should be using Nair more at higher percentages.

The new animation I didn't complain about because I'm sure it's just a WIP and I didn't think it fair to ***** about it. But it looks really robotic and, as I said, has no force behind it. I just want the old boomerang back tbh. I didn't have an issue with it (Aside from the catching thing that's gimped me far too many ****ing times when he decides to catch it instead of grabbing the ledge. I couldn't care less about the speed and the combo extension thing is superfluous. The 2.1 rang was also a good combo starter. But that got changes regardless. I don't know why they felt it had to serve the same role again but with its range taken away. It's like.. Take Ike's Fair, cut the range in half and speed it up. It's not Fair anymore(well, the input is) and its use just completely changed.

iirc 2.1 boomerang got changed mainly because of the close range hitstun and it the range was pretty damn good. I'm not too sure about it though.

And if you're grabbing the boomerang instead of grabbing the ledge offstage, that's your fault. Link grabs the boomerang only when he's in idle animation now so it's definitely your fault for not acting upon the boomerang's return.

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
iirc 2.1 boomerang got changed mainly because of the close range hitstun and it the range was pretty damn good. I'm not too sure about it though.

And if you're grabbing the boomerang instead of grabbing the ledge offstage, that's your fault. Link grabs the boomerang only when he's in idle animation now so it's definitely your fault for not acting upon the boomerang's return.
I've tried all kinds of spacing. I've tried the tip. I've tried shoving my ass in their face. I've tried inbetween. The only time it seems to work is if they're above me. And I don't think that qualifies as spacing so much as them jumping at the wrong time, which is sort of idiotic to have a move with two hits reliant on in order to actually hit both hits.

I just was playing for a little bit. I hit the first kick at 0%. Second one misses. I landed it at 77%. Second kick missed. I landed it at 118%. Second kick missed. I don't know what more I can say on that matter.

No, Falcon's Nair actually works fine for me. Link's bair is a hell of a lot more temperamental.

I know about the options at lower percentages. I was simply being an idiot by saying I couldn't think of good followups. I usually just do them and don't have them at the forefront of my mind unless I'm playing.

Yeah, I'm going to get a little annoyed here, but what part of "Grabbing the ledge" did you not get? What do you want me to do when I'm trying to fall towards a ledge to avoid catching the ****ing boomerang? Especially if it's at the exact moment I expect to be catching the ledge? Seriously now? Excuuuse me for being thrown off and gimped from that. Glad to know you never made a mistake. Also good to know that you like attacking irrelevant anecdotal points so you can act like you're intellectually superior. And I was obviously talking about previous versions where he caught it unless he was in the middle of a move. And I didn't say I wanted 2.1 rang back. That wasn't my point.

Rarik

Smash Journeyman
The reason I've read (from Strong Bad) for 2.1 rang being changed is that it was basically a moving Falco shine. As for 2.5 rang I know Hylian and some other Links said early on that they didn't like, found it useless, or rarely used it, and there was a lot of discussion about how 2.1 rang was better. Quite similar to this discussion except in this case 2.6 rang is actually better in some ways.

As for the current discussion I can't really see any good uses that 2.5 rang had that 2.6 rang doesn't cover. The difference in range doesn't really make a difference to me. If someone is far enough away that 2.5 rang would hit while 2.6 wouldn't, I'd rather just pull a bomb, or do something else productive, as at that distance 2.5 rang would, at best, do a few % and it's not like you could actually follow up on it. More likely they'd just avoid the rang or shield it, and now you can pull a bomb, which you could've done anyways.

Overall I think 2.6 rang has a lot more uses that combined with Link's new dash/run speed could potentially make him a threat. It's way better close range and from what I've seen it can definitely be used to punish bad approaches. That and it seems that you can use rang to combo into fair or maybe some other finishers, although I'm unsure if that's DI dependent or not.

Anyways, I think we should be focusing our discussion on new things we can do rather than complaining about the distance nerf on rang. The new animation does suck though.

Dng3

Smash Apprentice
2.6 rang rules. Its combo potential is definitely not superfluous. Experiment a little more.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
We are reverting the rang animation btw, no worries about that.

Rarik pretty much hit it on the spot. The range change doesn't mean much considering any time you would hit someone with rang at that range(and god they have to be bad to be hit by rang that far away) would be better spent pulling a bomb considering A: you couldn't combo off 2.5 rang at anything but directly in front of you(and if you think you could I implore you to teach your friends how to DI), B: The rang may impede you on return and can be used against you(your opponent knows you are either going to attack into it or jump around it which makes you transparent) and C: Bombs were just better in every single way. Throwing rang up close had way more risk than reward which made the move overall next to useless just because link almost always had better options when playing optimally.

I'm not to keen on Link being pigeon-holed into one playstyle when he his pretty much a master of versatility in every game he's in aside from smash. You can still play link as a long distance zoning character and you even have some better tools to keep people out now(zair for example) you just have to think more when using rang instead of mindlessly throwing it out just because your opponent is far away. Link currently favors creativity and adaptability, he doesn't have too much BnB stuff aside from throw combos and dash attack combos.

For whoever was asking about bair: I like to use bair as a cross-up tool and a mix-up out of down throw(sh) or uthrow(full hop). On certain characters at certain percents you can dthrow -> bair(do it so it does the reverse hit and they end up in front of you) -> jab x1/2(depending on %) -> grab/dtilt/finisher(depending on %). You can also uthrow -> full hop bair on certain characters onto a platform into grab or jab or up-b and it works quite well.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
http://www.twitch.tv/shenanagans_/c/2650768

WSF Set between me and Ally. [0-2 L] Tips or critiques welcome.

Gonna post stuff as I see it:

Needs more bombs.

Choose your low% combos better. Jabx2 dsmash will get you punished on the dsmash if your opponent is at 0%, you did this a few times. Going into your rapid jab is actually a good option here, or trying to cross them up with bair/nair or possible getting a grab(though they can spotdodge, but you can bait it if they think you are going to grab). Dash attack and utilt from neutral are really dangerous at low%'s, chill out on those options a bit.

At like :47 you dthrow him, sh'd and did nothing, I'm guessing you didn't predict his DI well but they way he DI'd you could have gotten Bair -> dash attack -> fair and it probably would have killed him or let you edgeguard.

You missed some guaranteed grabs or opted for other options. You really need to take advantage of every free grab op because link doesn't get them often and his throw combos are great against ike. Uthrow is great against ike at low%'s as well try to work that in some.

Don't dash attack someone shielding...pretty much ever. Bombs are your best friend against shields, rang and zair are pretty good options as well as jab.

Still too much dsmash at low %'s x.x. It's a bad option until they fall over from CC, at low %'s they don't even need to cc though they can get hit and you still get punished.

Go practice instant throwing. Practice till you are perfect at it, and then practice agting out of an instant throw. People don't do this, but it's AMAZING for link. I'll give you a quick example: At 1:41 you throw a bomb at him and he shielded. You jumped right past your bomb into him, you could have instant throw the bomb back into his shield while agting backwards, if he shielded it again you just repeat he has NO options in that scenario(unless they can instant throw but most people cant lol) and then you just combo off the bomb when it hits them or punish their roll/spotdodge or break their shield lmao, it's super super super good. It can also just net you free grabs all over the place.

Reasons you lost match 1: Bad recovery options. You don't grapple the edge enough(you should always grapple before up-b 99% of the time. It's the fastest way to the ledge and if they try to edgeguard you, you can cancel your grapple into up-b and hit them and possibly gimp them. There was a moment at the end of match one where you agt'd a bomb towards the stage while recovering, if you would have grappled, wavelanded on the stage you could have been RIGHT at him when the bomb hit him and gotten a free grab or read but instead you were still stuck in your up-b. Gotta be fast from the ledge.

Too much reliance on Dsmash and Utilt at low%. You almost always got punished and never really adapted, you were playing too much out of habit. Pick better options out of jabx2 depending on their % and if they are on the ground/in the air, you almost always just dsmashed. Also, you missed lots of grab combos..work on those >_>.

Match 2:

Bad counterpick. The platform in the middle hurts your throw game a lot(specifically dthrow -> dair) you have to read tech rolls rather than being able to cover all options. The slants mess with dthrow combos at low %'s and you gave ike a giant wall to recover from.

Yay you used upsmash.

When going for those nair edgeguards, it's a lot easier to use your second jump while nairing rather than just falling off against characters who can choose when they are going to fly towards the stage.

You aren't picking good times to use rang. Try to cover your landing more with it, and using it on fade aways or cross-ups. It's difficult against ike for the most part. You can get some bomb -> rang -> anything combos on him though so watch for those.

You could have recovered last stock with AD -> grapple instead of up-b.

I saw a few times you tried the bomb thing I was talking about but you just caught it and threw it later. Imagine doing that, but 100 times faster lmao, go practice instant throwing >_>. Leaving bombs lying around on the ground or platform is great against most characters as well if you are good at instant throwing because at any moment the bomb might just fly at them while you fight around it's zone. Try to inc-operate zair some, it's a good poke option.

Hope that helps.

You are getting destroyed because you aren't spacing well(or aren't respecting ikes shield) and approaching in transparent ways.

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
We are reverting the rang animation btw, no worries about that.

Rarik pretty much hit it on the spot. The range change doesn't mean much considering any time you would hit someone with rang at that range(and god they have to be bad to be hit by rang that far away) would be better spent pulling a bomb considering A: you couldn't combo off 2.5 rang at anything but directly in front of you(and if you think you could I implore you to teach your friends how to DI), B: The rang may impede you on return and can be used against you(your opponent knows you are either going to attack into it or jump around it which makes you transparent) and C: Bombs were just better in every single way. Throwing rang up close had way more risk than reward which made the move overall next to useless just because link almost always had better options when playing optimally.

I'm not to keen on Link being pigeon-holed into one playstyle when he his pretty much a master of versatility in every game he's in aside from smash. You can still play link as a long distance zoning character and you even have some better tools to keep people out now(zair for example) you just have to think more when using rang instead of mindlessly throwing it out just because your opponent is far away. Link currently favors creativity and adaptability, he doesn't have too much BnB stuff aside from throw combos and dash attack combos.

For whoever was asking about bair: I like to use bair as a cross-up tool and a mix-up out of down throw(sh) or uthrow(full hop). On certain characters at certain percents you can dthrow -> bair(do it so it does the reverse hit and they end up in front of you) -> jab x1/2(depending on %) -> grab/dtilt/finisher(depending on %). You can also uthrow -> full hop bair on certain characters onto a platform into grab or jab or up-b and it works quite well.
I'm glad the animation's going back.
I get the rang range isn't that big a deal now I guess. I guess my issue with it was that it's just barely under what I normally use it at to keep my opponent at bay. It's sort of selfish and myopic that I complained I guess. Literally, when I try to use it at my comfortable range it stops just in front of their face. So it's a comfort thing. I know 2.5 rang couldn't be comboed off of if my opponent knew how to DI (Which he did fortunately. Living with me, he would have gotten punched too many times if he hadn't learned all this nonsense), but I used it for long range and annoying my opponent. I guess now it has a more solid role. I figured I'd be proven wrong when I complained about this, which is good that I was since my opinion of it is more complete perhaps.

I also understand the versatility thing. I've seen slower control Links and such. I've seen aggressive ones. I've seen ones that have no business playing (JCaesar, I'm talking to you. Just kidding.) Mine is more aggressive and I shift between keeping them away and comboing them. Good points.

I only actually came back here to revoke what I said about bair being garbage. I've no idea why I said that. I guess the fact that it has a lovely tendency (for me alone, apparently) to miss that second kick and for the first kick to go over their heads when I SH it was in the forefront of my mind and I wrote without thinking. I utilize the move a lot actually so I can just say I was being stupid lol. Instead of garbage I should have said inconsistent. Because that's the word that actually describes my experience with it in P:M. I love it when it works. But I just notice it more when it doesn't. But I guess it's only me so, oops.

I love reverse hit bair so much.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Glad to hear you being understanding.

Player -0

Smash Hero
I know Link's Linkarang animation is being fixed but it looks like he's throwing a knife, just wanted to put that out there, in case people just thought it looked weird and didn't know why....
>.> <.< >.>
Does anyone else sometimes use SHAD forwards or backwards to Zair? I think it's a pretty good spacing tool especially to confuse your opponent if you're running backwards or forwards and then Airdodge the opposite way to Zair.

Little Nemo

The Dream Master
NNID
LockableFaceman
Link seems like half as fast as he was in 2.5. It's just me, right? Everyone seems to say he's quicker. And that post on the P:M site says he's quicker...

NaijaboyIrin

Smash Apprentice
EmptySky00 said:
But I guess it's only me so, oops.
It isn't only you.
Don't get me wrong; Bair is a great move. I just wish that I could space the move near the tips of his feet and still get both hits. This is differenence between Falcon's nair/ Ivysaur's bair and Link's bair(Probably because Falcon nair 1st hit has weak upwards knockback) IMO. Otherwise, it's a cool move and doesn't need much more than it already has.

Take note of the time window between bair's first and second kicks. I wait that long after the second kick in a SH, non fast-falled bair to input a jump so I can DJ after. It's so good for pressure because people try to punish me Oos and get naired in the face as a result.The window is small though, so you have to bair as quickly as possible after jumpsquat.

Demonstration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=YNHiQ7EwJ8k&t=160

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Link seems like half as fast as he was in 2.5. It's just me, right? Everyone seems to say he's quicker. And that post on the P:M site says he's quicker...

Uh...we definitely increased his dash and running speed from 2.5.

BryE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChaserTech
He feels faster to me.

Sidenote, what is everyone's opinions about 2.6 Link vs Spacies now? I haven't played any matches offline (been playing online due to the lack of smashers in my area) so I kinda like to know how Link stands against rushdown characters in the 2.6 demo.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
Hylian might be the best source of information on that.

I guess it felt a little better when I played a few? I normally play GnW in most MUs, but sometimes I go Link for those ones.

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
I thought the same when I picked it up, sort of. I thought he seemed slower and weaker actually. But it's definitely not true. Once I got used to playing again (I haven't in a few weeks), he's pretty damn fast. Especially since I try to play him fast regardless. I think his WD length was increased as well? Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems closer to what it was in the first demo or something. Or maybe I was just bad at it before and I magically got better.

On another note, I just figured out you can full hop bomb pull into AGT. I usually just waveland after it to adjust my position or throw the bomb right before I land, but I think that might have some uses.

And what do you think is better: short hop bomb throw waveland or short hop AGT? Random questions for the sake of asking them. I usually prefer wavelanding because I can move backwards more efficiently if I need to and it seems like jumping backwards into an AGT doesn't add much to the air speed.

Oh, I forgot. Since I'm clearly getting the spacing wrong on Bair (I swear I've tried it at various ranges and it fails about 60% of the time), what IS the spacing on that move to make both hits connect consistently? I've tried the foot, the shin, his thigh, and it still whiffs the second kick.

And does anyone have any tips on how to consistently reverse bomb slide? Ever since Brawl I couldn't get that down. I think if it gets a slide anywhere near DACUS, it could be a nice option to utilize.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I haven't actually played a good spacie with 2.6 link yet so I would really just be guessing based off changes. Not many people play spacies around here.

Wavedash is the same length, changing it would require changing his physics.

EmptySky it really depends on the situation. Almost nothing is better 100% of the time, bad options can suddenly become useful when used as mix-ups etc. The question about the sh bomb waveland vs agt sounds very situational so I don't really think I could answer that. To hit bair you have to follow your opponents DI with your air movement or hit during a cross-up.

Not sure what a reverse bomb slide is.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
After playing with him pretty extensively (fpr how long 2.6 has been out), I believe that 2.6 Link is a versatile and solid character. He certainly has strengths and weaknesses, but Link's toolset is appropriate to handle all of his match-ups. I really like him and I hope he stays 99% this way until the final version. I did "meh" at Low Tier City, but my biggest obstacles were not my character's weaknesses being a boon, but facing other characters that I have little practice against and players who were better than me. I think I'm going to share some of my match-up experience that I gained in the match-up discussion thread.

btw, Bombs and mid-air jump still don't feel accurate to Melee, but it does not affect his ability to perform well.

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
I haven't actually played a good spacie with 2.6 link yet so I would really just be guessing based off changes. Not many people play spacies around here.

Wavedash is the same length, changing it would require changing his physics.

EmptySky it really depends on the situation. Almost nothing is better 100% of the time, bad options can suddenly become useful when used as mix-ups etc. The question about the sh bomb waveland vs agt sounds very situational so I don't really think I could answer that. To hit bair you have to follow your opponents DI with your air movement or hit during a cross-up.

Not sure what a reverse bomb slide is.
Is it really? Then I don't know why I thought it was too short in the previous version.. It seems fine to me. Jeez I have some stupid misguided opinions sometimes.
Righto. I think they both help for movement a lot. But that's just me perhaps.

Following their DI isn't spacing that's reading <_> I was mislead! But even then when I move towards them and they DI away it still pushes them out of the second hit.

Reverse bomb slide is when you do a DAC with a bomb in hand and reverse it to slide in the direction you were running and throw the bomb backwards. But now that I think of it, the new DACUS length is probably attributed to his forward momentum upon his dash attack than anything else. So a reverse bomb slide won't do anything and you're better off dash cancelling/shield reverse throwing it or whatever. Less effort and higher chance of success for the same result.

Unrelated, but another thing I like doing with the bomb throw waveland is wavelanding on a bomb I dropped. So then I throw two bombs in quick succession. It's a fun trick. ):

Hopefully when I get to go to a local tournament again in two weeks the spacie player that beat me in grand finals twice will be there. I need to practice that MU. He tore me apart because I had no experience with it.

So now I just accidentally did this, but you can short hop off the stage and throw the boomerang in towards the stage and grab the ledge. RAR ledge grab but with a returning boomerang to ruin your opponent's day? Fun.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
What can I do to keep myself safe at low %? There has to be a way around CCing for Link.

This is where link suffers the most. Especially against characters like spacies/shiek he has sooooo much trouble when they are at low %. I guess just focus on your bomb and grab games against most characters, that doesn't really work against pressure characters so I like to try and play near the ledge in those cases. It's hard to say really, it's one of links biggest weaknesses.

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
So, random question. Why does Link have a bomb limit of 3? Not that it's really an issue, I was just wondering if there was any practical reason behind it being 3 instead of limitless as it was in Melee (At least, I think it was).

Again, it's not an issue seeing as even if you planted all the bombs on the ground as fast as possible, the first would explode shortly after pulling the fourth. But I'm curious.

Top Bottom