• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Link checked the thread. Wow! This is a nice thread!

link7

Smash Lord
NNID
Kidlink77
3DS FC
2234-7140-8163
Yup. Just waiting on a few things so I can pay for it.

Btw if you go looking for me I'll probably be wearing a beanie hat with a NES controller on the front and will also be wearing a pair of Gunnar's. I'll also probably be with that same person you saw at Dropzone wearing that elf hat, but he's wearing a raccoon hat now, which fits with his name better.
Cool. I'll be the guy with the Hitler haircut. See you there!

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
Btw if you go looking for me I'll probably be wearing a beanie hat with a NES controller on the front and will also be wearing a pair of Gunnar's. I'll also probably be with that same person you saw at Dropzone wearing that elf hat, but he's wearing a raccoon hat now, which fits with his name better.
this passage :laugh:

Tshadow7

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Tshadow7
hey guys, ive been a little busy in the past couple of months, newly married and MD stuff, i wanted to ask if all of you will like to participate in another Wifi club tournament link only tournament?? 1 secondary is ok. I want to see if we have enough quorum to make it happen.

Ive been able to fight more at local scenes offline so im not an online only scrub anymore :D

Edit: although i dont think ive improved that much hahahaha :( but still its good. or at least i think it will make my gameplay improve alot. Also planning on attending to more tournaments now.

Last edited:

epicnights

Smash Apprentice
NNID
epicnights
Another tourney might be interesting, though maybe not limiting it to only Link...? Not that I'd mind it being Link+1 secondary though. I'd prefer MLG ruleset, but with 3 stock 8 minutes.

Last edited:

ZSaberLink

Smash Journeyman
I guess this is a bit more metagame related, but if I'm not mistaken Link has some of the best aerial ending lag for his aerials (Bair & Nair at 10 frames, Fair at 12). Is Link's issue actually capitalizing on those because of his slow movement/aerial speed? With the shield stun changes, these all (except Bair I guess), are pretty safe on shield if spaced correctly right?

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Having a garbage OoS game and having your fastest move be 7 frames hurts pretty bad. Being combo bait (heavy + fastfaller) is also a pretty big downside. His biggest issue imo is that because of those problems, Link is in a ton of trouble if the opponent gets in and is good enough to stay in, and the fact that rushdown/fast characters (Fox, Sheik, ZSS, Pika, Sonic, to a lesser extent Falcon) can break through his zone effectively, giving him a smaller margin of error than many characters and making tp notch spacing extremely imporant.

That said I think Link is very solidly mid tier in this one, especially after the fair buff, which I like more and more the more I play. He's got a good bit going for him in this game.

link7

Smash Lord
NNID
Kidlink77
3DS FC
2234-7140-8163
Biiiiiiiig tourney today! I believe the bracket was destroyed, so have no idea who I'm playing today. Good luck DJTHED DJTHED

I'm wearing blue jeans, a black jacket, and a dorky looking shirt tucked into said pants. With the Hitler haircut. You'll be able to pick me out.

Last edited:

Catana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Catanaa
well yes, obviously, thats what the thread's for. just because its old doesnt mean you shouldnt use it anymore, as long as it stays relevant to what it was made for to begin with.

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
Having a garbage OoS game and having your fastest move be 7 frames hurts pretty bad. Being combo bait (heavy + fastfaller) is also a pretty big downside. His biggest issue imo is that because of those problems, Link is in a ton of trouble if the opponent gets in and is good enough to stay in, and the fact that rushdown/fast characters (Fox, Sheik, ZSS, Pika, Sonic, to a lesser extent Falcon) can break through his zone effectively, giving him a smaller margin of error than many characters and making tp notch spacing extremely imporant.

That said I think Link is very solidly mid tier in this one, especially after the fair buff, which I like more and more the more I play. He's got a good bit going for him in this game.
Wait, was he not mid tier before the fair buff or something?

ZSaberLink

Smash Journeyman

Isn't his fastest move (Bair) technically 6 frames? That requires the 7 frame jumpsquat obviously, but just saying. Seems like Link needs some move without range to get good frame data haha.

Btw, Link is probably the only character with a huge difference in his fast fall speed compared to his normal fall speed (90% increase). Is that something that be exploited to get out of combos or anything? Actually I'm never quite sure when you can fast fall and when you can't.

Weird to think that our first active frame after dash tossing an item is that much better than everyone elses unless I'm misreading this o_O....

http://kuroganehammer.com/Smash4/ItemTossDash

1 Link 4 19
2 Zero Suit Samus 4 35
3-5 Diddy Kong 4 36
3-5 Toon Link 4 36

Last edited:

DJTHED

Smash Apprentice
NNID
djthed
3DS FC
1805-3499-5905
Switch FC
SW-1721-8556-4217
Biiiiiiiig tourney today! I believe the bracket was destroyed, so have no idea who I'm playing today. Good luck DJTHED DJTHED

I'm wearing blue jeans, a black jacket, and a dorky looking shirt tucked into said pants. With the Hitler haircut. You'll be able to pick me out.
Lololol honestly the Hitler haircut thing you mentioned before was enough.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Isn't his fastest move (Bair) technically 6 frames? That requires the 7 frame jumpsquat obviously, but just saying. Seems like Link needs some move without range to get good frame data haha.

Btw, Link is probably the only character with a huge difference in his fast fall speed compared to his normal fall speed (90% increase). Is that something that be exploited to get out of combos or anything? Actually I'm never quite sure when you can fast fall and when you can't.

Weird to think that our first active frame after dash tossing an item is that much better than everyone elses unless I'm misreading this o_O....

http://kuroganehammer.com/Smash4/ItemTossDash

1 Link 4 19
2 Zero Suit Samus 4 35
3-5 Diddy Kong 4 36
3-5 Toon Link 4 36
I think Dedede also has a big difference in fallspeed if I'm not mistaken...

Seems legit...makes sense that a few characters that produce their own throwing items will have better frame data when actually throwing them...(interesting that both of my mains happen to top the list however)

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
Going to tournament, 85 man small national, prelude to big national next week (128 attendants), Izaw will be at both. No stream at this one, you can follow bracket at: http://challonge.com/GGWP5

Meanwhile I feel like citizen Rubashov with hugely sore throat, every swallow is like knife stab & can barely talk, wound on lips keeps opening and salt of toothpaste keeps intensifying, toothache hurting, hopefully feeling better in afternoon

Rizen

Smash Legend
The big benefit to his FF speed is when it's paired with an attack or airdodge it covers a huge vertical distance (active frames+quickly descending). Attacks like N/D/Uair travel a long drop with constant attack frames. Since Zair can be used from airdodge, I like to recover high>bait the opponent jumping up at me>FF>airdodge>Zair the ledge as a recovery mixup.

Catana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Catanaa
Izaw said:
Hey, I'm relatively new to Alabama. Just moved here from Florida a few months ago last year. Anyways I may be going to some events some time this spring break and summer, I'm a Link main who has played against high ranking players/Link mains being Dumbfire, Catpuke, ect (whom are arguably better than Izaw).
LoL

Call me when these guys win a MM vs Zero

Or go America and face some real competition

Or beat Kirinblaze

Or Scizor
meanwhile izaw places 9th at a tourney in my country where im considered #5 or at least #6. looks like there's some ''real competition'' for you back in our small country too, hmm? lmfao, get exposed and know your place.

call me when you get some real tourney results.

Last edited:

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
meanwhile izaw places 9th at a tourney in my country where im considered #5 or at least #6. looks like there's some ''real competition'' for you back in our small country too, hmm? lmfao, get exposed and know your place.

call me when you get some real tourney results.
When did I say I was even close to your level yet? I'm not. I though I made that clear when I said you guys completely wreck me. Lol. But ight, will do.

Edit: Nvm, that was towards Izaw. Mah b.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I think Dedede also has a big difference in fallspeed if I'm not mistaken...

Seems legit...makes sense that a few characters that produce their own throwing items will have better frame data when actually throwing them...(interesting that both of my mains happen to top the list however)
No, it's just Link and Ryu. Also, Wolf, but he's not in Smash 4. Link's fast fall is a 90% increase of his fall speed as said before while Ryu's is +40% his fall speed. Everyone else has a 60% increase. Oh, and Wolf's was like 1%. Why? I don't know, ask the developers who also gave him a 60 frame meteor cancel while everyone had around 25 and ask them why Meta Knight basically had a two-handed sword in Brawl, but a hilt in Smash 4's launch.

Last edited:

Lawz.

The Original Deadpool Fan
NNID
Lawz_Fearless
Catana Catana is straight savage.

I was playing against Gunblade today, as Link. I still got it. You'll be seeing me more often I think. Still won't solo main Link because that's just insanity, but setting up bomb traps and killing at 80% with fsmash got me feeling a certain way...

ZSaberLink

Smash Journeyman
Catana Catana - under your profile it says you play ZSS? Is that a mistake or did you switch away from Metaknight recently?

The big benefit to his FF speed is when it's paired with an attack or airdodge it covers a huge vertical distance (active frames+quickly descending). Attacks like N/D/Uair travel a long drop with constant attack frames. Since Zair can be used from airdodge, I like to recover high>bait the opponent jumping up at me>FF>airdodge>Zair the ledge as a recovery mixup.
Yeh I've used it for the purposes of N/D/UAir + FF. Never tried the ZAir offstage. Usually when I fast fall offstage I SD >_>

Last edited by a moderator:

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Catana Catana - under your profile it says you play ZSS? Is that a mistake or did you switch away from Metaknight recently?

Yeh I've used it for the purposes of N/D/UAir + FF. Never tried the ZAir offstage. Usually when I fast fall offstage I SD >_>
ZSS is there for 3DS.
And watch that double posting. PM me if you don't understand.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Beautiful, nothing ****s up something good like spinoffs. What was great about the LoZ series is it left a lot to the imagination. It was this legend passed down through the ages, veiled in mist and unique in each retelling. As a kid I made up all this lore and games based on the NES, Super NES and gameboy LoZs.
Now it's become a series of hand-holding, overly narrated, highschool romance, anime puzzle games. The awe of exploration and mystery of the world is a fading dream.

Games like LoZ NES, ALttP, LA, and Majora's Mask (not 3D) were great. Hell, even TP and OoT had a big world to ride a horse around, find mysterious ruins and caves in. I hope the Wii U LoZ gets back to the legend and cuts the slice of life BS.

Top Bottom