• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Link checked the thread. Wow! This is a nice thread!

Catana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Catanaa
Catana Catana Toughening might help you outwardly, but it won't change the fact that it hurts. Putting on a straight face might make you appear to be okay, yet you could be screaming for help inside. Being expressive is actually the best thing you can do, you may appear cowardly but it will help you put up with the issue when you have to face it.

As someone whose dad abuses him. I've learned that his words and general disapproval of me hit me deep, and sometimes "toughing it out" will only make it worse later. I need someone to talk it out with, otherwise I will just explode with emotions one day.

Granted, I've never known any other life, so I can't say I know for sure I know where you're coming from. Though, it seems you don't know what you're talking about.

It's not my fault I'm insecure, and I can't change the person. It's not that I need to "man up," I need the time to overcome it.

It's especially hard if that person is your relative, and you've never learned otherwise, for the longest time, I've been fooled into thinking that I deserved to be abused by my dad, and that all of what he did was normal because he's said so.

It messes with your head, and no amount of toughening it will help.
you know nothing, jon snow

link7

Smash Lord
NNID
Kidlink77
3DS FC
2234-7140-8163

Rizen

Smash Legend
Since the patch you can buy Mario Maker & Pirate Ship (Brawl) stages from E-shop. Various Mii Costumes too.
Link seems mostly the same except shocking spin attack got buffed. He might rise slightly in the meta game since other characters like Luigi got nerfed.

Last edited:

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
Since the patch you can buy Mario Maker & Pirate Ship (Brawl) stages from E-shop. Various Mii Costumes too.
Link seems mostly the same except shocking spin attack got buffed. He might rise slightly in the meta game since other characters like Luigi got nerfed.
I'm kinda curious where the band wagoners will go since the ridiculous throw games off of Diddy and Luigi got nerfed pretty hard. Nonetheless, I think this change alone will result in a healthier meta since Weegee invalidated so many characters.

Last edited:

Catana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Catanaa
He might rise slightly in the meta game since other characters like Luigi got nerfed.
That doesnt matter too much for us though, as Luigi was already a decent matchup on our hand. I think he may actually be close to one of our best matchups now.

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
So supposedly, from what I've been reading, shield stun just got buffed substantially, will this affect Link's viability in any way?

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
so yeah, shield-breaking and stuff

There was a problem fetching the tweet

There was a problem fetching the tweet

source: https://mobile.twitter.com/gazer2014
Yeah I already looked into that. The opponent can drop shield in between the bomb and the Nair.
Nonetheless more testing on potential shield breaking should happen. And you should note that I was testing things frame-perfectly, so practically speaking that stuff might still be legit if the opponent doesn't let go of shield asap. It's early days.

Soldner Kei

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SoldnerKei
Yeah I already looked into that. The opponent can drop shield in between the bomb and the Nair.
Nonetheless more testing on potential shield breaking should happen. And you should note that I was testing things frame-perfectly, so practically speaking that stuff might still be legit if the opponent doesn't let go of shield asap. It's early days.
I was kind of sceptical this could be 100% practical, but yeah, it's too early and there is more stuff to test.

I'll drop by at the Metagame Discussion later, I think we might have some discussion regarding this new shield-breaking tendency.

Last edited:

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
If what I'm reading is true, the previous simplistic idea of 'shield > Link' no longer applies. It's no longer that simple. Opponents will need to power-shield everything now and/or have a good bait/punish game and/or out-camp Link. Link's walling out game and pressuring shields from a distance game just became pretty OP.
Now, granted, I am excited, so take everything I said with a grain of salt and disregard the rest. I just had to say something.

Catana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Catanaa
If what I'm reading is true, the previous simplistic idea of 'shield > Link' no longer applies. It's no longer that simple. Opponents will need to power-shield everything now and/or have a good bait/punish game and/or out-camp Link. Link's walling out game and pressuring shields from a distance game just became pretty OP.
Now, granted, I am excited, so take everything I said with a grain of salt and disregard the rest. I just had to say something.
Except powershielding isnt hard but sure take whatever you can get I suppose

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
Christ man it's like you just got laid for the first time

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Except powershielding isnt hard but sure take whatever you can get I suppose
Last time I checked powershield did have a 4 frame window, so, yeah. [edit: actually it's a 3 frame window now]
Christ man it's like you just got laid for the first time
I 'take whatever I can get I suppose'.

Last edited:

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
I 'take whatever I can get I suppose'.
Don't: we take a man at whatever value he puts upon himself, but he must indeed place some value upon himself. One of the last refuges of dignity for modern man is this standard by which he judges himself, and consequently his partners. Let that go and he says "My value as a man is as meaningless as those of the girls I sleep with."

Batu

Smash Journeyman
NNID
drlight33
Looking forward to this changes! At least if we don't get to much of a benefit of shield stun, doing parry is really fun so at least the neutral game are going to be great.

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
Link's forward tilt is apparently safe on shield. Can anyone confirm this? Has anyone done any tests?

DUKEL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SirDukeIII
Oddly enough, a well spaced f-tilt can only be punished by characters with a tether grab that comes out in less than 13 frames. So - f-tilts with proper spacing are safe on shield on the entire cast - except not against Link himself.

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
This universal change to shield stun really helped Link out a ton. This was definitely needed. I'm pretty pumped to see what happens to the grab/shield game since the general meta practically revloved around it. Maybe we'll be able to see more aggression towards shields now.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
This universal change to shield stun really helped Link out a ton. This was definitely needed. I'm pretty pumped to see what happens to the grab/shield game since the general meta practically revloved around it. Maybe we'll be able to see more aggression towards shields now.
Guess what that means for Link since he has no good options OoS now besides rolls... I mean sure, this also means that a lot of Link's moves are a great deal safer (on shield), but it just isn't enough... the Shiek MU is impossible now, for one. It's Melee all over again.

Last edited:

DUKEL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SirDukeIII
Guess what that means for Link since he has no good options OoS now besides rolls... I mean sure, this also means that a lot of Link's moves are a great deal safer (on shield), but it just isn't enough... the Shiek MU is impossible now, for one. It's Melee all over again.
What are you talking about? If a shiek is approaching attempting to fair on shield, we pivot tilt and are safe. This matchup is really about the same as it was before the patch, which really isn't that bad of a matchup.

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
Not even close, bud (though I get the obvious sarcasm). It means that we're going to struggle like hell until we recieve proper OoS options, which probably won't be for a while.
Are you saying that our OoS options need to be faster?

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
What are you talking about? If a shiek is approaching attempting to fair on shield, we pivot tilt and are safe. This matchup is really about the same as it was before the patch, which really isn't that bad of a matchup.
I'm sorry, but Shiek destroyed us before. Now she obliterates us. All of our attacks are still laggy as hell which makes us just as punishable as before other than on shield, and on top of that, we have no reliable OoS options besides rolling.

Are you saying that our OoS options need to be faster?
That's exactly what I'm saying.

Edit: Now we really need that 4 frame jab. Giving Utilt and Spin attack less start-up lag on top of that would be great and would let us keep up with the new meta even better. This shieldstun change changes everything.

Last edited:

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
I'm sorry, but Shiek destroyed us before. Now she obliterates us. All of our attacks are still laggy as hell which makes us just as punishable as before other than on shield, and on top of that, we have no reliable OoS options besides rolling.

I agree. Link needs some major frame data changes.

DUKEL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SirDukeIII

We've apparently had entirely different experiences fighting sheik. Pre-patch, Link was probably in the top 10 of characters with the best matchups against Shiek in my experience. Our neutral's far better than hers, we also have a way to build damage and can reliably kill her with a grab, while she has lots of issues killing. We're heavy, so we live longer and gain rage to the point where she can die to a tilt right outside the percentages our dthrow u-air.

You're also blowing the new shieldstun way out of proportion. At best - if Shiek lands a f-air tipper, she only has a 3 frame advantage. At worst, the frame advantage is 0. We just have to be smart about when she f-airs our shield and we'll be fine.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I think sheik is a terrible MU for Link but if anything the shield stun helps Link. Link was at a disadvantage shielding Sheik before, the shield stun increase doesn't change that. Now Link has safer zoning since Sheik's approaches are nerfed slightly.

Last edited:

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
We've apparently had entirely different experiences fighting sheik. Pre-patch, Link was probably in the top 10 of characters with the best matchups against Shiek in my experience. Our neutral's far better than hers, we also have a way to build damage and can reliably kill her with a grab, while she has lots of issues killing. We're heavy, so we live longer and gain rage to the point where she can die to a tilt right outside the percentages our dthrow u-air.

You're also blowing the new shieldstun way out of proportion. At best - if Shiek lands a f-air tipper, she only has a 3 frame advantage. At worst, the frame advantage is 0. We just have to be smart about when she f-airs our shield and we'll be fine.
But... the needles. She pretty much has a guaranteed aerial needle into grab out of shield stun. But yeah, that gives me some peace of mind at least. The MU vs. Shiek is still terrible though. She can combo us to death and now is free to dance around us while we're in shield even moreso than before. May I remind you though, the shield stun in this game now exedes that of Melee.

Last edited:
Top Bottom