• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Link checked the thread. Wow! This is a nice thread!

link7

Smash Lord
NNID
Kidlink77
3DS FC
2234-7140-8163
@ Elessar Elessar Any idea why the Elgato stopped working? People have been gushing over it being an amazing piece of hardware. For it to just stop working after only a few uses seems odd. Tell me what's going on with it and I'll look into trying to find a solution to the problem.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
@ Elessar Elessar Any idea why the Elgato stopped working? People have been gushing over it being an amazing piece of hardware. For it to just stop working after only a few uses seems odd. Tell me what's going on with it and I'll look into trying to find a solution to the problem.
We bought an HDMI splitter to try and avoid getting lag while playing and recording. On the day of the tournament we plugged it in and when we connected it the splitter smoked and it smelled like burnt plastic. So we unplugged it. After that, elgato didn't recognize the signal from the Wii U. That's it. It was great, we loved it but we tried to make it work for 4 hours before the tourney and couldn't get it to Recognize the signal.

link7

Smash Lord
NNID
Kidlink77
3DS FC
2234-7140-8163
We bought an HDMI splitter to try and avoid getting lag while playing and recording. On the day of the tournament we plugged it in and when we connected it the splitter smoked and it smelled like burnt plastic. So we unplugged it. After that, elgato didn't recognize the signal from the Wii U. That's it. It was great, we loved it but we tried to make it work for 4 hours before the tourney and couldn't get it to Recognize the signal.
Methinks it's time to contact the company of the splitter and tell them that they ruined $175 worth of merchandise. I'm still looking into other stuff about the Elgato though. I'll tell you what I find.

FSK

Smash Ace

Sounds like a short circuit or at the very least a power surge that probably fried some of the internal electronics of the Elgato which also means that the elgato is probably dead forever now.

Himura Kenshin

Smash Journeyman
I think Dedede is underrated the most. I take pride in using Link, as my favorite character and main, I try to do the very best as him, as we all do. So, when I see people cheese victories online, it makes me feel some type of way.

So imagine my surprise when I see a Dedede online that doesn't spam gordos and nair! It definitely made me respect the player for taking the less beaten path. Now, imagine my surprise even more when this guy barely lets me lay a finger on him. Not to toot my own horn, but I have confidence in my ability as Link, and I thought I'd figure out his trick and beat him.

I didn't. We played at least 15 matches, and I won 1. Some were close, some he dominated. But he was all Dedede. He knew the timing, how to punish, the ranges, how to ledge guard, mix ups, combos at different percentages, and a few good reads. But with Dedede? If he did those things with Sheik, Yoshi, Rosa, then I wouldn't have been impressed. But this guy was using Dedede, he perfect shielded all my projectiles, even when I jabbed with the very tip of the sword, he still punished (I ended the jab on 2). I know Link isn't close to top tier, but this guy still impressed me a lot.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Methinks it's time to contact the company of the splitter and tell them that they ruined $175 worth of merchandise. I'm still looking into other stuff about the Elgato though. I'll tell you what I find.
Considering it's a brandless Chinese made splitter we bought downtown, I don't think they'll care.

Sounds like a short circuit or at the very least a power surge that probably fried some of the internal electronics of the Elgato which also means that the elgato is probably dead forever now.
This is what we fear. So freaking pissed and salty...so damn salty. All my hopes, up in smoke, literally.

FSK

Smash Ace
Considering it's a brandless Chinese made splitter we bought downtown, I don't think they'll care.

This is what we fear. So freaking pissed and salty...so damn salty. All my hopes, up in smoke, literally.

Well then it's your own damn fault for buying low quality **** :\ If there's a next time you should be more careful.

Basically when it comes to electronics if it's dirt cheap and chinese it's most likely crap.

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Well then it's your own damn fault for buying low quality **** :\ If there's a next time you should be more careful.
I assumed there was a risk of something going wrong, but I thought the splitter would've either not worked or burnt itself, not burn elgato. Also, it was the only splitter we could find; we visited 6 tech stores. Remember that I live in a third world country.

Besides, that damn splitter costed 40 bucks.

Last edited:

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Hello Links!
BAHAHAHA!
I have returned from my small quandary on Bionis. Needless to say, I have learned a lot, and they have learned to fear me!
I got a new toy as well! Perhaps you should step closer and take a look....

link7

Smash Lord
NNID
Kidlink77
3DS FC
2234-7140-8163
Hello Links!
BAHAHAHA!
I have returned from my small quandary on Bionis. Needless to say, I have learned a lot, and they have learned to fear me!
I got a new toy as well! Perhaps you should step closer and take a look....
Didn't you hear? Shulk is my secondary now. Oh, and hello, long time no see.

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
Even though he is rated in high-mid I still think most underrate luigi.

I'm going to take a break from link to learn a more read heavy character (lucario) to hopefully up my general game skill and help with link in the long run

Last edited:

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
I think Dedede is underrated the most. I take pride in using Link, as my favorite character and main, I try to do the very best as him, as we all do. So, when I see people cheese victories online, it makes me feel some type of way.

So imagine my surprise when I see a Dedede online that doesn't spam gordos and nair! It definitely made me respect the player for taking the less beaten path. Now, imagine my surprise even more when this guy barely lets me lay a finger on him. Not to toot my own horn, but I have confidence in my ability as Link, and I thought I'd figure out his trick and beat him.

I didn't. We played at least 15 matches, and I won 1. Some were close, some he dominated. But he was all Dedede. He knew the timing, how to punish, the ranges, how to ledge guard, mix ups, combos at different percentages, and a few good reads. But with Dedede? If he did those things with Sheik, Yoshi, Rosa, then I wouldn't have been impressed. But this guy was using Dedede, he perfect shielded all my projectiles, even when I jabbed with the very tip of the sword, he still punished (I ended the jab on 2). I know Link isn't close to top tier, but this guy still impressed me a lot.
Sounds like he was a little too good at reading moves. I tend to excessively Nair against DDD because its almost too easy to knock it back at him. Sometimes they even stop using them against me because they get nervous unless theyre at a safe distance

@Relapse I think people just realized he's decent but he got zero hype because he's definitely not what he was in brawl.

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
MK has always been really good. Not Brawl broken, but really good. It's just that he take work now and since most scrubs are looking for easy and free wins, they all flocked to the flavor of the month OP char.

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
MK has always been really good. Not Brawl broken, but really good. It's just that he take work now and since most scrubs are looking for easy and free wins, they all flocked to the flavor of the month OP char.
MK is still pretty alright, but people instantly think he's god awful just because he isn't broke as all hell like in brawl (well.....maybe not that bad but you get the gist)

Serac

Smash Cadet
I assumed there was a risk of something going wrong, but I thought the splitter would've either not worked or burnt itself, not burn elgato. Also, it was the only splitter we could find; we visited 6 tech stores. Remember that I live in a third world country.

Besides, that damn splitter costed 40 bucks.
Have you tried online stores? I live in Mexico so getting good stuff is kinda difficult, that made me try luck with them and so far has been a good option.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
mk is a great character
His fun, though I could never get used to him. Most his Neutral combo.

Who do you guys think is the most underrated character in Sm4sh?
I think Toon Link is the most underrated character :troll:

But seriously, I think either Mii swordfighter or Pit. It just seems no one really talks about them or play them.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Have you tried online stores? I live in Mexico so getting good stuff is kinda difficult, that made me try luck with them and so far has been a good option.
I always buy things from online stores but sadly there wasn't enough time this time. We didn't think about the splitter solution until this past week, and by then we weren't going to get it in time if we ordered online.

8MAN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FourOhFour
3DS FC
4871-4261-8409
But seriously, I think either Mii swordfighter or Pit. It just seems no one really talks about them or play them.
I personally think that Mii Gunner is overlooked, as most of her attacks have very good range as well as decent kill potential. Potential to be the most zone heavy character in game.
Wii Fit is another odd one w/
>Fastest Airdodge
>Good mobility in general
>Low crawl and very low prone
>3 Aerial Spikes
>Sun Salutation heals and has the power of Samus's charge shot
>Deep Breathing heals and temporarily makes f-tilt a lightning fast kill move
As for Pit and Dark Pit, they honestly have no glaring weaknesses.
>Good Recovery
>Good Kill Options
>Good Followups after throws
>Good up close and at a distance
>Arrow Spam and Reflector
>Sword's disjointedness can space characters with shorter reaches pretty well
>Decent dash speed and grab

Last edited:

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
His fun, though I could never get used to him. Most his Neutral combo.

I think Toon Link is the most underrated character :troll:

Definitely agree on Pit, I think he's the best "sword" fighter in the game, what with that ridiculously good neutral game and all.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
I personally think that Mii Gunner is overlooked, as most of her attacks have very good range as well as decent kill potential. Potential to be the most zone heavy character in game.
Wii Fit is another odd one w/
>Fastest Airdodge
>Good mobility in general
>Low crawl and very low prone
>3 Aerial Spikes
>Sun Salutation heals and has the power of Samus's charge shot
>Deep Breathing heals and temporarily makes f-tilt a lightning fast kill move
As for Pit and Dark Pit, they honestly have no glaring weaknesses.
>Good Recovery
>Good Kill Options
>Good Followups after throws
>Good up close and at a distance
>Arrow Spam and Reflector
>Sword's disjointedness can space characters with shorter reaches pretty well
>Decent dash speed and grab
I not to sure about WFT but with Dark/Pit, they do have the weakness of low kill power. Serious, compared to most characters, it is very low. Also, his Arrows are hardly spam able, or at least compared to other projectiles and sometimes I wonder if it is worth reflecting some projectiles because of the end lag on the move. And some times the reflected projectile does even hit the opponent (I'm looking at you Mario!)

Lawz.

The Original Deadpool Fan
NNID
Lawz_Fearless
I not to sure about WFT but with Dark/Pit, they do have the weakness of low kill power. Serious, compared to most characters, it is very low. Also, his Arrows are hardly spam able, or at least compared to other projectiles and sometimes I wonder if it is worth reflecting some projectiles because of the end lag on the move. And some times the reflected projectile does even hit the opponent (I'm looking at you Mario!)
Sure they can kill, it's called fthrow.

Last edited:

8MAN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FourOhFour
3DS FC
4871-4261-8409
From what I can tell, their kill potential is about average.
>F-smash can beat out spot dodges, has good range, and kills at about 115-130%
>Upperdash arm can kill at about 120-130 depending on the ceiling, while Electroshock arm can kill at about 110-150 depending on stage positioning and side blast zones
>U-smash is ceiling dependent too, but can kill at about 120-140
>Forward throw is a kill throw at about 130-140 as well (of course if you're near the ledge)
>Pit's Arrows can be used to gimp and harass characters due to it's controllability
Also don't forget, his offstage game is pretty good too, and it will no doubt net him some kills. An offstage fair can be the end for lighter characters or characters with bad recoveries, and his dair also spikes at 100 ish percents.

Pit/Dark Pit both kill at about 120-130%, which honestly isn't that bad.

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
From what I can tell, their kill potential is about average.
>F-smash can beat out spot dodges, has good range, and kills at about 115-130%
>Upperdash arm can kill at about 120-130 depending on the ceiling, while Electroshock arm can kill at about 110-150 depending on stage positioning and side blast zones
>U-smash is ceiling dependent too, but can kill at about 120-140
>Forward throw is a kill throw at about 130-140 as well (of course if you're near the ledge)
>Pit's Arrows can be used to gimp and harass characters due to it's controllability
Also don't forget, his offstage game is pretty good too, and it will no doubt net him some kills. An offstage fair can be the end for lighter characters or characters with bad recoveries, and his dair also spikes at 100 ish percents.

Pit/Dark Pit both kill at about 120-130%, which honestly isn't that bad.
But the problem is, that is only the case if they are near the edge. With Pit and Dark Pit, the percent difference between when a move would kill a light weight or a heavy weight is much great. Their Dair spike, IMO, also feels a little weak compared to others and sometimes hard to land. But you are definitely right about they being great at gimp, which is probable why they have weak onstage kills. Also, Pit's Upperdash arm actually kills close to 130-140 on most characters. Only lighter characters get killed around 110-120 mark. Though the thing that annoys me the most is how hard it can be to land their Usmash. It just needs a slightly bigger hitbox.

Though their Utilt does have decent kill power. Not joking.

8MAN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FourOhFour
3DS FC
4871-4261-8409
But the problem is, that is only the case if they are near the edge. With Pit and Dark Pit, the percent difference between when a move would kill a light weight or a heavy weight is much great. Their Dair spike, IMO, also feels a little weak compared to others and sometimes hard to land. But you are definitely right about they being great at gimp, which is probable why they have weak onstage kills. Also, Pit's Upperdash arm actually kills close to 130-140 on most characters. Only lighter characters get killed around 110-120 mark. Though the thing that annoys me the most is how hard it can be to land their Usmash. It just needs a slightly bigger hitbox.

Though their Utilt does have decent kill power. Not joking.
Pit's Usmash is pretty similar to Link's now that I think about it... except it lacks the wide angle and strong kill potential
Didn't even know utilt was a kill move.
Dair spike, though weak, can still do the job against characters that lack strong vertical recoveries like DK or Link.
Pit would greatly benefit from counterpicks though and he would probably force some bans against MU wise players. Delfino, Town and City, and Halberd would make Usmash, Utilt, Upperdash kill pretty consistantly. While Duckhunt would lower the horizontal kill range to 110-130, as fsmash, fthrow, and electroshock and increase the vertical kill range to maybe 130-150.
Although heavies can be a problem in terms of netting early kills, their weight works against them in the sense that they can be juggled easier with Pit's bread and butter combos (dthrow > uair/fair/usmash/utilt > uair/fair > uair > uair > uair) making building percent much easier, though it will put them in rage faster as well.

Last edited:

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
why are people having a pit metagame discussion in link social

Last edited:

Lawz.

NNID
Lawz_Fearless
Let's talk about that guy with the green dress and the fairy. What was his name? Zelda?

RonNewcomb

Smash Journeyman
Definitely agree on Pit, I think he's the best "sword" fighter in the game, what with that ridiculously good neutral game and all.
Meh. I think Marth is a better swordfighter than Pit & Link both. He just lacks projectiles. At one point I dropped Brawl Link for Brawl Pit and had a much easier time, but I cannot seem to make the transition to Sm4sh Pit. No glide, no hits-behind repeating-jab, arrows dissipate after a second, the reflector is slower and wears out: they removed everything I was great at abusing.
But they kept the Gale Boomerang. What a kick in the teeth.

Zerker

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AlexZerker
Meh. I think Marth is a better swordfighter than Pit & Link both. He just lacks projectiles. At one point I dropped Brawl Link for Brawl Pit and had a much easier time, but I cannot seem to make the transition to Sm4sh Pit. No glide, no hits-behind repeating-jab, arrows dissipate after a second, the reflector is slower and wears out: they removed everything I was great at abusing.
But they kept the Gale Boomerang. What a kick in the teeth.
All of the updates so far have been repeated kicks in our teeth or spit in our eyes, what do you expect at this point? . . .

BaPTraPLaP

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BaPTraPLaP
Let's talk about that guy with the green dress and the fairy. What was his name? Zelda?
That's the guy he's gotta help princess Ganandorf stop the evil man of the desert, Link from obtaining the triforce in the temple of orcarina.
On a side note I was thinking about getting Skyward Sword, Hyrule Warriors, and or Wind Waker HD anyone recommend getting or not getting any of these games?

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
That's the guy he's gotta help princess Ganandorf stop the evil man of the desert, Link from obtaining the triforce in the temple of orcarina.
On a side note I was thinking about getting Skyward Sword, Hyrule Warriors, and or Wind Waker HD anyone recommend getting or not getting any of these games?
You need to buy all three of them. Yesterday.

Lawz.

NNID
Lawz_Fearless
I've been having this same predicament.

Lawz.

NNID
Lawz_Fearless
Any of you guys do streaming? My crew and I are thinking about streaming this summer.

Top Bottom