• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Let's Talk Items

OcarinaOfDoom

Smash Lord
NNID
OcarinaOfDoom
My biggest fear is creating a bigger split in the community of having items and not having items. The last thing I feel Smash needs is more division.
This is definitely the major flaw I see with the idea. We already have a Brawl/Melee split, and SSB4 is only going to add to that, and I don't think having an items/no items split would only hurt us as a community, which would be disappointing, especially after we had such a great year for Melee last year.

editL meant to say, I think, not I don't think

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
This is definitely the major flaw I see with the idea. We already have a Brawl/Melee split, and SSB4 is only going to add to that, and I don't think having an items/no items split would only hurt us as a community, which would be disappointing, especially after we had such a great year for Melee last year.
And, to be fair. We'll already have a divide with the 3DS and WiiU versions.
Why separate them even further?

Vkrm

Smash Lord
I don't think you have to worry about item tourneys syphoning off players from traditional tournaments. I'd bet the majority of players that would be attracted to item legal events would not be competing in any other type of ruleset unless it is for gits and shiggles.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I don't think you have to worry about item tourneys syphoning off players from traditional tournaments. I'd bet the majority of players that would be attracted to item legal events would not be competing in any other type of ruleset unless it is for gits and shiggles.
The problem we have is a potential war. Especially with events like Apex and EVO. Where people would want their represented more than the other.

pitthekit

Smash Ace
Omg jack kieser managed to make items spawned in the neutral/middle of final destination.

Rejoice smash 4 could have a project items!
(Does wii u even do mods)

Imagine- items spawning in linear time intervals in a neutral spot!
Players are now omniscient of where and when the item will appear.
Now the random element got removed.

I would love to learn some item skills!

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
Omg jack kieser managed to make items spawned in the neutral/middle of final destination.

Rejoice smash 4 could have a project items!
(Does wii u even do mods)

Imagine- items spawning in linear time intervals in a neutral spot!
Players are now omniscient of where and when the item will appear.
Now the random element got removed.

I would love to learn some item skills!
He did what? linky pls

popsofctown

Smash Champion
Fixed item spawn mode is not implausible for Sakurai to add imo.I'm super conservative when it comes to variance, so I oppose items the way I oppose halberd legality and Peach legality. That said, if I'm going to have to deal with peaches pulling stitches at kill percent like at the last Melee tournament I played, it'd be nice if things were at least consistent. Food on low is not more random than that for sure, Star Rod and some other stuff is also less impactful.

pitthekit

Smash Ace
Fixed item spawn mode is not implausible for Sakurai to add imo.I'm super conservative when it comes to variance, so I oppose items the way I oppose halberd legality and Peach legality. That said, if I'm going to have to deal with peaches pulling stitches at kill percent like at the last Melee tournament I played, it'd be nice if things were at least consistent. Food on low is not more random than that for sure, Star Rod and some other stuff is also less impactful.
Just remove probability and make items spawns packages

For example

Item spawn package 1: 1 min passed- banana peel spawns in middle of stage 2 mins pass - a green shell spawns in middle of final destination. Etc etc.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
I don't know, maybe my opinion on the actual affect and how much of a damn we should care about the element of randomness that items add is based on the fact that Pokemon is pretty much the only other game I take seriously and crits are always a thing there.

At any rate, it's kinda hard to say what exactly should be done concerning items until we see if there is any changes to how items work (not likely of course.)

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
There's no division between the Vita and PS3/360 MvC3 players. No one is going to show up to a tournament run on a handheld when the exact same game is available being played on TVs.

I can definitely see people playing it on the side waiting but no way is the event going to be run on it unless people make a point of using it.

My logic being that stages are the only difference we know of and none of the 3DS exclusive stages even look usable in a tournament.

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
There's no division between the Vita and PS3/360 MvC3 players. No one is going to show up to a tournament run on a handheld when the exact same game is available being played on TVs.
...I feel like we've been here before...
But here's the thing. Both games have their problems.
With MvC3, it was simple. The Vita didn't support the controller they liked (among others). Here it's different.

I can definitely see people playing it on the side waiting but no way is the event going to be run on it unless people make a point of using it.
I can, people don't like the Wii U.
Especially with it's problems in terms of controllers...

My logic being that stages are the only difference we know of and none of the 3DS exclusive stages even look usable in a tournament.
1. We haven't seen all the stages yet.
2. We haven't played all the stages yet.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
3DS version is for those who want both games or don't want to buy a wii U. A lot of people don't want to buy a wii u just for smash when they have a 3ds already.
I am definitely going to get both...

Wii U for when I am home playing Smash with my boyfriend... 3DS for when I am not home and I am commuting between home and work/school. ;)

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
Hey, I posted this in Capps' other thread, but I'll make a similar post here just to get it out.

I'm an advocate for giving everything a shot and being as fair as possible, without tying my emotions into facts. I haven't played with items in Smash for some time. Never in 1v1s, I believe a few times with 4 player friends or my younger brother, so I definetly don't play with them competitively. So here's my thoughts on the subject.

3DS will from the getgo have a bigger user base playing the game. Don't believe me? You do remember that Smash 4 is on the NINTENDO WII U correct? Now this is just a good induction, but by the end of this year their sales won't skyrocket to the realm of the 3DS (If they did I'd be over the moon though!). So basically, the 3DS will have more people playing the game, at least at first. One can't deny this.

The funny situation is that competitive games on handhelds are a much smaller niche than consoles. But Smash is known to be a competitive game. This situation will garner something we haven't seen before - a bigger user base consisting of even more of casuals and even less competitive players. This is a situation the smash community hasn't really experienced before. Although there is the discrepancy right now of much as small margin of us being competitive players, but on the 3DS that number is sure to diminish. The pros will flock to a console game, if not for the only reason of tradition. I'm not doubting the existence of a competitive 3DS community, and I for one predict Smash 3DS will start a new community of handheld 3DS tournaments far greater than what we know of now. But in the beginning, it's not going to be a pro centered community and will be riddled with casuals.

What can this do for the item argument? Well, it gives let's us experiment something we won't do on the Wii U. This is a rare situation that we may never get the opportunity to do again.

Items are a tricky argument. Many vote against it for it's randomness and the play styles that are a product of their inclusion. Then there's the crowd that wants to give it an honest chance and redefine what a competitive smash could be. Most just say ban them for ease without digging much deeper into the thought.

Of course I have no answer for what is 'right' but what I can say is this: I don't care if we tested items in every smash game already - this is not the other smash games. We should test them out in SMASH 4 and see what the can offer, whether it CAN make a community. People who flat out say it's impossible because of random elements and the usual cabal say they have proof but ultimately just wish to preserve the norm. Change isn't something players want in Smash Bros.

I often hear this thought that adding items will ruin competitively playing smash, as, Items + Play Competitive Smash = No go for the community. Hold on a sec .... Since when were those two separate things? Since when were items seperate from 'Playing Smash' and determining a better player? It's a big part of 'Smash Brothers' and taking them out creates this 'Pseudo-Smash Brothers' that many unfortunately believe is the norm.

My point is, if it's a big part of the actual game, it shouldn't be ejected without the littlest of thought.

How do we do this then? Pick a good, well-tested item list. If it ends up only being a small list, judge whether it's indeed worth having over No-Items. If it's an extensive item list, allow some counter picking when players start the match or series - create a NEW system for THIS type of competetive play.

(i.e. Bowser vs. Little Mac - Bowser bans Bunny Hoods and Ray Gun to stop Mac from easier recoveries and easily getting him stuck in Ray Guns blasts. Mac bans the Hammer and Homerun Bat to make sure he isn't launched off stage early.)

People tend to forget that you CAN indeed fight strategically with items on. I know there are random elements to it, but they do not overshadow actual player skill. It was your fault you lost, not the items.

And this doesn't mean 'No Items' tournaments cannot thrive. Why does that have to mean that to so many people?
Both can exist can't they?

I think people don't want to see a slice in the community of pros. But if pros don't want it anyways, what does it matter to them? And if this exposes more people to competitive smash, why are they complaining? This actually serves no negative effect on competitive smash on the Wii U.

It would indeed create a new genre of smash bros to say the least. It will be interesting to try. I just think exiling items to banned immediately is nonsense. Just because it's random , doesn't mean it can't be played. It's just whether this way of play is fun and competitive. If none of us have played Smash 4, how do we know this isn't the case?

Conclusion: Items deserve to be tested. The community should not stay stagnant with one way to play, and it will benefit from items being used in it's own tournament realm. The current competitive model can stand, but what's the harm in trying to expand with elements of the game that are meant to be played with?

Also Capps, i don't know where to do this, but add me to your support group thing!

BADGRAPHICS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2406-5113-4228
I'm glad to see so much support here for items. Six years ago threads like this looked very different. Regardless of any perceived difference in competetive level, I'd love to see the variety that Smash Bros has represented on the tournament circuit.

No amount of talking is going to bring about a Smash renaissance, though. The status quo is well established and people's fears regarding item play are borne of a desire to maintain something they love. The item skeptics should realise there really isn't anything to be afraid of, but unless the item advocates can demonstrate the ability to coexist without causing a schism in the community, the kind of variety I seek is doomed to be buried at the back of closet with the rest of our skeletons.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
Is there any official evidence that items will be distributed in a random manner in smash 4, or is that just a conjecture?

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
...I feel like we've been here before...
But here's the thing. Both games have their problems.
With MvC3, it was simple. The Vita didn't support the controller they liked (among others). Here it's different.

I can, people don't like the Wii U.
Especially with it's problems in terms of controllers...

1. We haven't seen all the stages yet.
2. We haven't played all the stages yet.
3DS is also stuck with one option for controls.

I'll definitely give you the controller issue, the options while better are wireless.

The ones we have seen have all the tell tale signs of sucking. Walk offs galore.
Yes so let's not make any connections between stages in the past and current ones that have similar elements.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Tripping is not distributed in a random manner in smash 4. We've seen no random hazards so far. Amongst newcomers, I don't recall any Peach/GW mechanics.
Yet we have seen no "controlled" tripping that is new to this game, we haven't seen any hazzards that are executed in a way that are new to this game.

If I were to apply the same way of thinking we could theoretically state that items might not even spawn in multiplayer at all and are just in the practice and/or debug mode.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
Yet we have seen no "controlled" tripping that is new to this game, we haven't seen any hazzards that are executed in a way that are new to this game.

If I were to apply the same way of thinking we could theoretically state that items might not even spawn in multiplayer at all and are just in the practice and/or debug mode.
We have seen controlled tripping, there is an image showing a banana causing a trip.

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
We have seen controlled tripping, there is an image showing a banana causing a trip.
That isn't new. Bananas were in Brawl. You are using lack of information to theorize that something integral to the series has changed. I was merely pointing out that you can theorize other things as well.

I mean I could say: We haven't seen stocks or coins so probably they were taken out and timer is now the only mode left in the game.

I mean there is a possibility that is true, but that reasoning isn't exactly correct. You have to understand there is only so much Sakurai can show in pictures. How exactly can he show you that a stage hazzard is random in a picture?

I am fairly certain items will remain random. They have been like that through 3 games for 15 years. They might include a mode where you can use the Gamepad to spawn items at specific locations, but random spawn will still be the main mode.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
This is all well and good on a website forum but the bigger install base for 3DS argument is very weak when you consider who that base is.

Small children, hipsters with Nintendo "swag", Pokemon nuts, typical Nintendo fans who just like playing the latest Nintendo game, etc.

They are not going to take a day out or several to play a game on their 3DS in person the majority of these players you seem to be working for will just ask to play online.

Last edited:
Top Bottom