• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Let's talk about frame delay for a brief moment

¨°PÞ-§°¨ Bane

Smash Apprentice
i've been wanting to make a thread about this for a while, so here goes.

seeing as most online players get the luxury of playing on low frame delay (majority of the online community is east coast or somewhere in the middle, hardly any WC players), it seems as though many players seem to forget the noticeably bad disadvantages that come with playing on higher delay. many even seem to disregard the factor entirely - saying that it's not that big of a deal, high frame players need to stop johning, and that some players actually seem to be better on high delay.

i'd like to remind (or inform) you all that this is complete nonsense.

let's say that you get 1 frame and your opponent gets 4. imo, 4 is the threshold for playability, but even this scenario isn't the greatest. this literally means that for every situation in the neutral game, your moves will come out 3 frames faster than your opponent's. for some fighting games this wouldn't be too big of a deal, but for a game like smash where every frame is crucial this is a huge factor.

but this isn't even the only concern. if you are on high delay, you also have to worry about:

- lag spikes: if these happen, your opponent gets to react to them faster.

- shield pressure/pressure in general: if your shield is getting hit hard, good luck getting a fast oos option. it's basically impossible in high delay. you're forced to do dumb things like roll which are highly punishable by your opponent.

- predictions: you have to be really, really good at them. since your opponent gets to run around on low delay and basically react to everything that you're doing and since your moves are always going to come out later than theirs, you have to predict what they are going to do in every single situation far in advance. and THEN you have to time it properly through the high delay. i'm not saying that low frame players don't have to predict anything a high frame player does, but i am saying that the reaction factor is essentially eliminated for high frame players. i can't even tell you how many times i've gotten hit by fox's firefox because i tried reacting to his recovery (an easy feat that i am used to doing in low delay, but in high delay you have to know exactly where they are going to go because your edgeguard move will not come out in time and you will get hit).

- moving: anyone that has played on 5/6/7 frames consistently is acutely aware of how much slower your movement is in general in high delay. moving around the stage becomes a burden when every single input has a buffer to it. it's even worse when you have to move around while avoiding projectiles or spacing out your opponent. this is a bigger deal than it seems, because moving fast is a crucial part of top level play since it makes it much more difficult for players to react to you and forces them to predict what you're going to do.

high delay is essentially the equivalent of playing on an hdtv. if me and armada are playing ssbm and i get to play our matches on a crt and he has to play our matches on his end on an hdtv, do i get to say i'm better than i'm armada if i win? you be the judge, but that's basically what a lot of online players do in our community.

tl;dr, high delay is bull****. i'm done playing on 5 frames and i can't host p2p. so if anyone wants to play with me you'll either have to be able to host p2p or another west coast server will have to emerge since temple isn't around anymore.

Last edited:

rjgbadger

Banned via Warnings
another west coast server in San Jose is in the works, should be set up in the next few days.

I tested on it today and it was flawless. Better than Temple of Canaando in SF generally was for me.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
PPS Captain Obvious

nah but everyone knows this and i've never met anyone who didn't take frame delay into account. i personally invalidate all wins and losses online, because online. doesn't matter if we're both on 1 frame or not. there are still differences. thank you.

¨°PÞ-§°¨ Bane

Smash Apprentice
Stop johning noob
thank you for your informative contribution to this lively and joyous discussion. it is because of people like you that our community is truly so great. stay strong, based caneut.

Last edited:

Studstill

Smash Ace
That`s great news hipstur. A new server is going up in Atlanta shortly, for the lower EC peeps. Great points Bane. I`ve asked people to spoof up to my frames, (under 5, of course). I think it should become policy for a serious match online to have to be p2p or spoof to the same frames.

¨°PÞ-§°¨ Bane

Smash Apprentice
Why can't you host p2p? It's really easy to set up.
idk, i've tried forwarding ports in my firewall. i've tried everything, just never been able to get it to work.

PPS Captain Obvious

nah but everyone knows this and i've never met anyone who didn't take frame delay into account. i personally invalidate all wins and losses online, because online. doesn't matter if we're both on 1 frame or not. there are still differences. thank you.
you would think so cobr, but do you even play online that much? you'd be surprised at how many people there are that seem to not take it into account...

Last edited:

caneut

Smash Ace
thank you for your informative contribution to this lively and joyous discussion. it is because of people like you that are community is truly so great. stay strong, based caneut.
You made an unnecessary thread on a topic everyone smart already agrees on. You put up only the most obvious and necessary information that everyone smart already knows. Sure they're some dumb people who think frame delay doesn't matter but people who think that aren't are a level of play where those frames even matter, their reaction times are less than that frame delay.

Thanks for the "Should gimping be illegal"-like thread clog.

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
I always p2p people when I can, specially if they get 3 or more frames on a server. Even if all it does is make me play with more frames with no benefit to my opponent, it's a much more stable connection than server.

for some fighting games this wouldn't be too big of a deal, but for a game like smash where every frame is crucial this is a huge factor.
pls no
pls
stahp

Smash isn't a special flower. Even 1 frame of delay affects every fighting game out there and can change entire matchups.

Last edited:

¨°PÞ-§°¨ Bane

Smash Apprentice
You made an unnecessary thread on a topic everyone smart already agrees on. You put up only the most obvious and necessary information that everyone smart already knows. Sure they're some dumb people who think frame delay doesn't matter but people who think that aren't are a level of play where those frames even matter, their reaction times are less than that frame delay.

Thanks for the "Should gimping be illegal"-like thread clog.
in my experience, it's knowledge that's not as common as it should be. maybe people just like to take whatever wins they get over me, but i've had to deal with a lot of **** defending this perspective in my past.

regardless, i'd be fine if everyone came into this thread and admitted that it's all common knowledge that everyone knows. it'd mean that i'd probably never run into anyone that tries to argue otherwise again.

Last edited:

Villainy

Smash Cadet
There should be a server in the middle of the west coast and central. That way west coast players could play with central players like me (north dakota) at around 3 frames.

Skrlx

Smash Champion
It's okay, BaneBRO. I feel your pain. Btw, setting up a server in the WC won't do much. I mean, it doesn't change the fact that everyone is in the EC. Was temple a server full of people playing smash? No. It's a really ****ty situation for the WC.

EC should check their EC privilege.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
EC should check their EC privilege.
1st world problems.

i personally invalidate all wins and losses online, because online. doesn't matter if we're both on 1 frame or not. there are still differences. thank you.
Can anyone articulate the differences between online and console? Besides lag/delay and the joystick thing.

Smash isn't a special flower.
Smash Bros is a unique flower in the summer and a unique snowflake in the winter.:smash:

Last edited:

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
i'm online pretty often and i've played with and talked to a lot of people, and i haven't had anyone say they could beat x but not mention the delay. there's always a "but...he/i was on n frames" following a win or a loss.

like i said, if it's online, it doesn't count for me.

Can anyone articulate the differences between online and console? Besides lag/delay and the joystick thing.
lag/delay and joystick stuff

Last edited:

breakthrough

Smash Journeyman
idk, i've tried forwarding ports in my firewall. i've tried everything, just never been able to get it to work.
Laziness. Use http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/ - find your router model - and find a game like Warcraft III. Instead of using the ports they tell you, use whatever port you wish to p2p on (27886 is default for project64).

Since there are multiple computers/devices connected to my router, I tend to set a static IP address for myself so my ports are always forwarded on the local IP that I use.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
I believe in BANE 'cause I tried everything and couldn't portforward either. When I say that and people link me portforward.com I get offended, honestly.

rjgbadger

Banned via Warnings
Actually near, since my name has been on the index thread for adding people into the skype groups, I've gotten a good number of west coast players, you'd be surprised. The reason a lot of them don't play on kaillera often is lack of a close server, because, starting out its difficult to find p2p with other west coast people.

breakthrough

Smash Journeyman
I believe in BANE 'cause I tried everything and couldn't portforward either. When I say that and people link me portforward.com I get offended, honestly.
If you seriously can't figure out how to forward ports I feel unbelievably bad for you. You could probably find a youtube video and do it in 3 minutes. Portforward.com is just better because it shows you pictures based on your exact router model.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
Yeah, I mean, people who think it's inconceivable to fail at portforwarding is nothing new to me. Carry on.

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
i've been wanting to make a thread about this for a while, so here goes.

seeing as most online players get the luxury of playing on low frame delay (majority of the online community is east coast or somewhere in the middle, hardly any WC players), it seems as though most players seem to forget the noticeably bad disadvantages that come with playing on higher delay. many even seem to disregard the factor entirely - saying that it's not that big of a deal, high frame players need to stop johning, and that some players even seem to be better on high delay.

i'd like to remind (or inform) you all that this is complete nonsense.

let's say that you get 1 frame and your opponent gets 4. imo, 4 is the threshold for playability, but even this scenario isn't the greatest. this literally means that for every situation in the neutral game, your moves will come out 3 frames faster than your opponent's. for some fighting games this wouldn't be too big of a deal, but for a game like smash where every frame is crucial this is a huge factor.

but this isn't even the only concern. if you are on high delay, you also have to worry about:

- lag spikes: if these happen, your opponent gets to react to them faster.

- shield pressure/pressure in general: if your shield is getting hit hard, good luck getting a fast oos option. it's basically impossible in high delay. you're forced to do dumb things like roll which are highly punishable by your opponent.

- predictions: you have to be really, really good at them. since your opponent gets to run around on low delay and basically react to everything that you're doing and since your moves are always going to come out later than theirs, you have to predict what they are going to do in every single situation far in advance. and THEN you have to time it properly through the high delay. i'm not saying that low frame players don't have to predict anything a high frame player does, but i am saying that the reaction factor is essentially eliminated for high frame players. i can't even tell you how many times i've gotten hit by fox's firefox because i tried reacting to his recovery (an easy feat that i am used to doing in low delay, but in high delay you have to know exactly where they are going to go because your edgeguard move will not come out in time and you will get hit).

- moving: anyone that has played on 5/6/7 frames consistently is acutely aware of how much slower your movement is in general in high delay. moving around the stage becomes a burden when every single input has a buffer to it. it's even worse when you have to move around while avoiding projectiles or spacing out your opponent. this is a bigger deal than it seems, because moving fast is a crucial part of top level play since it makes it much more difficult for players to react to you and forces them to predict what you're going to do.

high delay is essentially the equivalent of playing on an hdtv. if me and armada are playing ssbm and i get to play our matches on a crt and he has to play our matches on his end on an hdtv, do i get to say i'm better than i'm armada if i win? you be the judge, but that's basically what a lot of online players do in our community.

tl;dr, high delay is bull****. i'm done playing on 5 frames and i can't host p2p. so if anyone wants to play with me you'll either have to be able to host p2p or another west coast server will have to emerge since temple isn't around anymore.
I think most experienced players realize how powerful of a factor delay is. maybe you are playing people who really respect you as a player so they take it as a great accomplishment to take a game from you. Telling them that it is only because of delay is like taking that accomplishment away from them. just let them have their win lol. we all still know who the better player is lol

¨°PÞ-§°¨ Bane

Smash Apprentice
I think most experienced players realize how powerful of a factor delay is. maybe you are playing people who really respect you as a player so they take it as a great accomplishment to take a game from you. Telling them that it is only because of delay is like taking that accomplishment away from them. just let them have their win lol. we all still know who the better player is lol
i have no problem with this and i make a point to never diminish a high delay loss when i know that i'm playing with someone cool/with good sportsmanship. it only bothers me when someone beats me when i'm on high delay and then either they say that they're better than me or other people say it for them.

like, even if they are good players that could be better than me, it's not cool to base it off me losing when i'm at a disadvantage. base it off beating me on a fair playing ground or even the fact that i've never been to a tourney and am basically a warrior of FAKE smash.

Last edited:

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
i have no problem with this and i make a point to never diminish a high delay loss when i know that i'm playing with someone cool/with good sportsmanship. it only bothers me when someone beats me when i'm on high delay and then either they say that they're better than me or other people say it for them.

like, even if they are good players that could be better than me, it's not cool to base it off me losing when i'm at a disadvantage. base it off beating me on a fair playing ground or even the fact that i've never been to a tourney and am basically a warrior of FAKE smash.
yeah i feel ya on that i get what you are saying.

madrush21

Smash Journeyman
I could bring a 64 to lodge sometime and we could play console. But I don't know how much you want to play on 64 controller rather than keyboard

novakain

Smash Rookie
When I play online I find it really hard to z-cancel (3-4 frame delay). Is this a common problem?

VVilde

Smash Cadet
one time hipster was getting all butthurt losing to me, so we went to temple of conaando and i still rekt him (me with 5 frames him with 1). then he was like "I'm not use to having to tech this fast." JOHNS, why don't u actually get better with fox noob so u stop losing to samus?

oh wait hipster is the same person who walks around shine canceling all day

#froliconblast

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
I would prefer a server right in the middle of the US so everyone (in the US) could play around the same delay

pls no
pls
stahp Smash isn't a special flower. Even 1 frame of delay affects every fighting game out there and can change entire matchups.
also, this, if anything smash 64 is affected less since it is not as technical as let's say Street Fighter or Mahvel.

NovaSmash

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
2079-8171-3301
I remember how people used to say that PD and YBOMBB played better on 5 frames rather than low delay.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
I think certain styles work well on higher frame delay. There are wifi warrirors for a reason

Last edited:

rjgbadger

Banned via Warnings
Wilde, do you not remember after apex when I mauled you on 1 frame on FU, while you were also low frames, and you eventually left frustrated because you couldn't handle the **** talk? You probably blocked it from memory, that's OK

\\Killer//

Smash Journeyman
On a side note, Why didn't you go to apex? lol

Last edited:

rawrimamonster

Smash Ace
Lol I said this years ago, really though complaining wont get you anything. We already know online is its own john because its fake smash, This is why (besides having no adapter) I hardly do it anymore, even p2p. Until someone mans up and hosts a server smack dab in the middle of everyone, it's rather pointless to complain. Especially as archaic as Kaillera is at this point.

Really I feel your pain dude but this thread is pointless because anyone whose not a scrub already knows this.

Wilde, do you not remember after apex when I mauled you on 1 frame on FU, while you were also low frames, and you eventually left frustrated because you couldn't handle the **** talk? You probably blocked it from memory, that's OK
You get used to that, the 64 community has "conveniently" selective memory when it comes to losing. ;)

Last edited:

Sensei

Smash Lord
Kaillera is pretty outdated. It'd be cool if we could use the same p2p system that dolphin netplay uses that allows p2p without port forwarding and very few, if any, desyncs.

Top Bottom