• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lets talk about Armada's Fox

1MachGO

Smash Ace
Nowadays I don't wanna main Fox because with all the results I don't even need to prove how possible it is, all the Fox mains shows more than enough, he never was impossible by any means, it only becomes more and more clear that he is number one
This was less than two months ago.

Anyway, I'm surprised there hasn't been much talk on the subject. What are everyone's thoughts and feelings on Armada's switch? Do you think Armada's chances for winning event x has improved? Do you think its good or bad for the scene? Are you happy or sad he switched? Does Peach have no place in the meta anymore? Discuss.

Last edited:

Dr. Krumm

Smash Apprentice
Hard to say. I think (I'm no expert on this) Armada really only switched for two reason: HungryBox and Leffen. Puff vs Peach is annoying and a constant up-hill battle, I'm not surprised Armada does not want to play that match up, and his Young Link didn't work out that great, while his Fox did wonders.

Armada vs Leffen is a different story though, Armada's Peach have, for the most part, won the battles, but he's starting to lose the war against Leffens Fox. They've met in bracket more than I can count, by now, everyone knows that Leffen is an expert at the matchup. If Armada states that Peach is not viable at that state of play and with this meta, I guess I'm prepared to believe him, although I don't want too, since I like to believe that any character can win, but it just doesn't feel that way right now.

In the end I think any player of Armadas caliber can play any character and make it work, has it improved though? No idea, however after Apex 2015 his Fox has results. If we see Armadas Fox win Evo, I won't be surprised.

Last edited:

the muted smasher

Smash Journeyman
Peach will always have a place because of falco and ics.

But in a way his fox is a gimmick even if it's great.

At that top level meta they all study and pick each other apart before they play. His fox was likly more or less made for that top level play cut for some niches they others weren't preparing for.

It's like his yl vs h-box. I bet h-box knew the match-up but that yl was build around beatting h-box. Time will show tho

The Carpenter

Smash Apprentice
Real talk, I honestly think that at this moment, Armada has the best fox in the world. Regardless of how great his fox might be though, I don't think he intends for it to replace Peach. I think he only wants to supplement his options and in the case of the top 8 at APEX 2015, fox was better against his opponents than Peach would have been.

TheFlyingCule

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheFlyingCule
3DS FC
3668-8782-5131
unfortunately I'm inclined to believe Peach doesn't have much of a place at the top of the metagame as Armada says, much to my disappointment. It's been clear to me while the Top 8 are all definitely viable overall, at the highest level only the top 4 seem to make any real progress. Armada's Peach and H-Box's Puff are the only contenders to win a Major that isn't your usual Fox, Falco, Sheik, or Marth. I main Peach, and sad as it is to say, the top 8 is really just 2 tiers of 4, and it seems Peach is slowly gonna fall to the same place as Falcon and IC, Top characters that can can be used in certain matchups, but will be left behind at the highest level.

D

Deleted member 212841

gcyftftdtfyxycyvj

Last edited by a moderator:

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
A lot of speculation as to why he switched but people seem to ignore that he actually stated why he made the switch. Peach is too slow. That's it. This is coming from the fastest Peach player to boot.

She may have excellent tools, but go a re-watch his matches against PP. Armada loses the neutral game the entire set. He simply holds on, making trades and struggling to stay alive and picks up KO's along the way. That... isn't a terribly fun way to win, as you have so little control, and it's only a matter of time until his opponents catch on and he begins to lose more and more. The reason why is because Peach's speed makes it really tough to take and control of the match, or pin her opponent in a bad position.

PP's Marth is actually a great example of the opposite. In almost all his matches in the finals he maintains more stage control and better positioning than his opponents. Marth doesn't have the easy guaranteed kill setups that the other high tier characters have, but by spamming a superior neutral game it more than makes up for it. It's not only a great advantage in game, but psychologically it really messes with you if you feel the whole game you can never get on top of your opponent, even if it's actually a close game.

I'm not saying that Peach is bad or that there isn't more room for her to grow, but you can't make her any faster no matter how skilled you are (as in you can't increase her run speed and such). That is becoming more and more of a factor.

Tagxy

Smash Lord
Peach is going the way of Puff, they were great because of their powerful punish games and good spacing tools until Fox's realized they could just laser to pressure and force an approach. If they were faster this might not be as big an issue, but C'est la vie.

Last edited:

Cursetyl

Smash Rookie
NNID
Cursetyl
I agree with the decision, Fox is the dominant character, if he sticks with Peach then he'll be having more trouble with Hbox then necessary. His Fox also performed exceedingly well at Apex, so as much as I'll miss Peach being his main, I support the decision.

Modesty

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
ALIC#155
You pretty have to be proficient with Fox at this point in the meta game. You can certainly still main Falon Peach Puff or Icies, but you really need that pocket pick spacie for the tougher matchups.

RedRengadeYo

Smash Rookie
I am sad about Armada leaving the character that distinguished him as someone who played against the meta but if it means that Armada can keep being happy while playing Smash then I have no reason to hate the switch, right?

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Haven't read ****. But I'll say I'm certain that Adam has always thought Fox vs peach was heavily in Fox's favor, and thanks to PPMD, he's seeing that Marth can be very difficult also.

He has maximized peach as far as our current metagame goes, and if he's having problems with matchups it matters more so with the character than it does the player (to an extent, only at top level play).

the muted smasher

Smash Journeyman
Thing is ics, samus, marth,sheik and falco are all solid vs fox and having his peach really pairs well with his fox to avoid some of those match-ups or at least he gets an edge on stage pick. Like vs falco on dl64 peach is likly just the better overall pick.

And we all know that if wobbles could repeat evo if armada only played fox that could mean a close set

1MachGO

Smash Ace
Thing is ics, samus, marth,sheik and falco are all solid vs fox and having his peach really pairs well with his fox to avoid some of those match-ups or at least he gets an edge on stage pick. Like vs falco on dl64 peach is likly just the better overall pick.

And we all know that if wobbles could repeat evo if armada only played fox that could mean a close set
What I find ironic is that Marth also would have satisfied Armada's MU struggles. While Fox is definitely better vs Puff, I generally feel Marth is an easier pick vs Fox, Falco, and himself at top level play. I also feel like Armada's more punish oriented style would have lent itself to a Marth secondary than a Fox one.

Regardless, I dont see Armada not going Peach in the ditto, vs sheik, climbers, or most mid tiers

the muted smasher

Smash Journeyman
I think it would be easier to tailor a fox to beat out key players than it would for marth. Because unlike any other top players he is the only one to pick up a new character for just a single person to beat, and armada is likly just more confident in his ability to rapidly adapt than others when he comes in pre studied their game plan.

But he also has seen h-box struggle with top foxes and that is another reason likly

Bismo Funyuns

Smash Apprentice
A good switch. ***Maybe*** he could have made Peach still work despite the new meta obstacles (I'm sure he tried) but, even assuming that possibility, it was a stroke of genius to just go Fox. He can now beat Hbox's Puff without having to resort to a low tier gimmick, forces Mango to go Falco, and removes the possibility for Leffen to simply "play the matchup". It's clearly a much easier solution than trying to be a hipster and tough it out with Peach. PPMD's Marth deals with 20XX much better, anyways.

Also, Fox suits a tag like Armada a lot better than Peach did.
I was watching Mang0's stream and found out why he doesn't like the ditto. He played Fox prior to becoming a professional and used to bop Lucky's Link when they were younger. Then Mang0 "retired" and Lucky practiced Fox. When they played each other next, Lucky destroyed him every time. He hasn't played a single Fox ditto since.

typical Mango

dahuterschuter

Smash Journeyman
Didn't he always have a pocket Fox? Pretty sad he's making a perma-switch though since his Peach vs Mango's Fox has become an iconic match up in Melee.

And what's more, I always loved his Toon Link vs Jigs wars with Hungrybox. All his play with both characters has always been so crisp and strategic. I've always thought of him as the concert pianist of Smash to Mango's rock star, and Peach and YL compliment it so well with their sort of "slower" more methodical approach. I've been wanting to see him pick up Samus as well to see what he does with her.

tauKhan

Smash Lord
What I find ironic is that Marth also would have satisfied Armada's MU struggles. While Fox is definitely better vs Puff, I generally feel Marth is an easier pick vs Fox, Falco, and himself at top level play. I also feel like Armada's more punish oriented style would have lent itself to a Marth secondary than a Fox one.

Regardless, I dont see Armada not going Peach in the ditto, vs sheik, climbers, or most mid tiers
Armada has said that fox wins vs everyone but himself, so by that logic he should play fox based off his own opinion right? Also I disagree that Marth is easier; Marth has to play so precise especially in neutral. Also Armada mained Marth at some point, and has played him some amount, so I think he knows what suits him the best.

1MachGO

Smash Ace
Armada has said that fox wins vs everyone but himself, so by that logic he should play fox based off his own opinion right? Also I disagree that Marth is easier; Marth has to play so precise especially in neutral. Also Armada mained Marth at some point, and has played him some amount, so I think he knows what suits him the best.
If Armada mained Marth at any point, it was probably at the very beginning of career. I am fairly certain he has been dedicated to Peach since '07. Maybe even earlier.

As for Fox being easier than Marth? Definitely not. That sounds like a run-of-the-mill, jaded opinion about spacies. PP has said time and time again that he opts for Marth over Falco because he is easier to play. M2K has said that Marth/Sheik are easier for years. And ****, even Hax, the mouth of 20XX himself, has called Fox and Falco the hardest and second hardest characters to play at top level (and even then, he destroyed his wrist trying to "optimize" Fox). Even if Marth being harder was true at top level (which it isn't) it sure isn't true at lower level.

Of course, you could argue that, at top level, Fox (and Falco) are easier to play than Peach, Falcon, and anyone below them on the tier list. And you would probably be right since those characters have less options...

but Sheik, Marth, and Puff are DEFINITELY easier to play. Marth in particular can dictate the flow of a match with far less APM and more margin for error. The difficulty of Marth will come from his precision, but this has more to do with mindset and awareness rather than raw execution (Fox and Falco have to be exceptional at both).

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
@ 1 1MachGO
I know Armada actually has a Marth, he actually had a video floating around and it was very unorthodox. That said, he probably wasn't that serious with it.

Regarding Marth vs Fox & Falco. I do think Marth, on the whole, is easier to play, but I think that is largely due to tech. That said, playing Marth well tests different aspects of the game than playing Fox and Falco. There are a lot of things that Fox and Falco can do with offensive pressure and shines that makes certain aspects of their play much easier, at least on the level of decision making, and spacing. The differences are different enough that some players would not feel compatible with Marth, especially at high level play.

I'd argue too that, yeah, sometimes Marth has more margin for error, but other times not. I also think that taking PP's opinion regarding Marth being easier on him is purely anecdotal, and I'd be willing to bet that spamming tech might be something that gives other players comfort in their play, if that makes any sense. Overall, I do think that everyone agrees that playing the spacies is harder than other top tiers, but on smash god level play, I don't think it's by a very large margin.

Bismo Funyuns

Smash Apprentice
If Armada mained Marth at any point, it was probably at the very beginning of career. I am fairly certain he has been dedicated to Peach since '07. Maybe even earlier.

As for Fox being easier than Marth? Definitely not. That sounds like a run-of-the-mill, jaded opinion about spacies. PP has said time and time again that he opts for Marth over Falco because he is easier to play. M2K has said that Marth/Sheik are easier for years. And ****, even Hax, the mouth of 20XX himself, has called Fox and Falco the hardest and second hardest characters to play at top level (and even then, he destroyed his wrist trying to "optimize" Fox). Even if Marth being harder was true at top level (which it isn't) it sure isn't true at lower level.

Of course, you could argue that, at top level, Fox (and Falco) are easier to play than Peach, Falcon, and anyone below them on the tier list. And you would probably be right since those characters have less options...

but Sheik, Marth, and Puff are DEFINITELY easier to play. Marth in particular can dictate the flow of a match with far less APM and more margin for error. The difficulty of Marth will come from his precision, but this has more to do with mindset and awareness rather than raw execution (Fox and Falco have to be exceptional at both).
Spacies and ICs are definitely the hardest to play. I think Puff takes the least tech skill but the most skill in a lot of other areas, but to play Sheik you need to know 2 things to do okay: Down throw and fair. If you want to be really good, you might want to learn Nair OoS. As for Marth, the only truly difficult thing to learn is the tipper spacing on every move, and once you learn it you really can't unlearn it unless you take up Marth in another game.

1MachGO

Smash Ace
@ 1 1MachGO
I know Armada actually has a Marth, he actually had a video floating around and it was very unorthodox. That said, he probably wasn't that serious with it.

Regarding Marth vs Fox & Falco. I do think Marth, on the whole, is easier to play, but I think that is largely due to tech. That said, playing Marth well tests different aspects of the game than playing Fox and Falco. There are a lot of things that Fox and Falco can do with offensive pressure and shines that makes certain aspects of their play much easier, at least on the level of decision making, and spacing. The differences are different enough that some players would not feel compatible with Marth, especially at high level play.

I'd argue too that, yeah, sometimes Marth has more margin for error, but other times not. I also think that taking PP's opinion regarding Marth being easier on him is purely anecdotal, and I'd be willing to bet that spamming tech might be something that gives other players comfort in their play, if that makes any sense. Overall, I do think that everyone agrees that playing the spacies is harder than other top tiers, but on smash god level play, I don't think it's by a very large margin.
I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to argue. Especially when you called PP's opinion anecdotal. He is arguably the best player in the world at his respective characters and I think if anyone could accurately articulate which one is harder, it'd be him.

And while difficulty can be subjective, top level play pretty much demands every skill from you. Mindset, strategy, and awareness have to be top notch regardless of your character. In this sense, execution is often where characters deviate and their difficulty determined. If Fox pressure consists of dash dancing/shine pressure with the risk of potential death if I get grabbed, and Marth pressure consists of sitting outside your shield and dtilting until you commit to something, then Marth is effectively easier in the same situation.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Spacies and ICs are definitely the hardest to play. I think Puff takes the least tech skill but the most skill in a lot of other areas, but to play Sheik you need to know 2 things to do okay: Down throw and fair. If you want to be really good, you might want to learn Nair OoS. s for Marth, the only truly difficult thing to learn is the tipper spacing on every move, and once you learn it you really can't unlearn it unless you take up Marth in another game.
That grossly underestimates both Sheik and Marth. There is a lot more to Marth than learning how to tip everything, also, that said, tipping when you need to and not tipping when you don't requires more precision than most things the spacies do because the sweetspot for tips are much tighter. That, in and of itself, shouldn't be discredited or written off.

I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to argue. Especially when you called PP's opinion anecdotal. He is arguably the best player in the world at his respective characters and I think if anyone could accurately articulate which one is harder, it'd be him.
PP's account of things is anecdotal evidence because he is simply one person. It doesn't matter if he is the best in the world, because everyone functions differently and will have their own subjective experience. Unless you can show data from multiple sources that show a trend that Marth is always easier to play, you can't say that Marth is always easier for everyone to play. Personally, some players find rush down to be their means of control, and Marth can't really do that, and for players like that I would assume they would not find Marth as easy to play as a spacie, for example.

zero sum

Smash Apprentice
even though armada's peach is, bar none, my favorite player/character combination in the game to watch, i think his fox is really good and i'm looking forward to seeing more of it. i remember him saying on twitter once that there is some stuff left with peach, but that she's probably been taken farther than any other character in the top 5/6/8 (wherever you put peach) but that he can think of “four or five things off the top of [his] head that fox mains aren't doing right now.” as a fox main, i'm really interested in seeing how he develops and (hopefully) incorporates some of these things.

and yeah armada's fox is hardly new; he pulled it out in a set at genesis 1 against mango and very narrowly avoided getting four-stocked. then it got 6-0ed by leffen at rof last year. but it looks a lot better now than it did in those sets haha. he mentioned on stream that he was going to train his fox in 2014 but due to the “summer of smash” and all that was at stake there, it felt like a big gamble compared to his peach. but now the switch to fox seems logical: against foxes that play the matchup properly, namely leffen and mango during the summer, it's clear that his peach wasn't getting the placements he wanted. puff is also a really difficult matchup, so mango, leffen and hungrybox (admittedly he played YL in his hbox sets in 2014) were proving to be huge obstacles. the crowd was cheering for leffen to four stock his peach at paragon.

so, i mean, with all of that knowledge, i think he kind of has to go fox to stay at the top long-term. it's definitely not a discredit to him as a player and honestly i think he'd still definitely be top 5 with peach alone going into 2016; it's just a testament to how refined foxes are becoming now.

also re: marth being easier to play than spacies or vice versa—i don't necessarily think either claim is true. i think you have to clarify what you mean by “easier” before we can get anywhere; in terms of APM and the sheer number of technical inputs you have to do in any given match, especially at high level, i think marth is absolutely easier to play than fox. but as far as decision making and neutral goes, i don't necessarily think one is easier than the other since you're just looking for different things. and some of the things you're looking for as marth are easier to find and some are harder! so i disagree with one being a priori easier than the other

Last edited:

1MachGO

Smash Ace
PP's account of things is anecdotal evidence because he is simply one person. It doesn't matter if he is the best in the world, because everyone functions differently and will have their own subjective experience. Unless you can show data from multiple sources that show a trend that Marth is always easier to play, you can't say that Marth is always easier for everyone to play. Personally, some players find rush down to be their means of control, and Marth can't really do that, and for players like that I would assume they would not find Marth as easy to play as a spacie, for example.
A Peach player could find emotional discomfort in playing Ice Climbers. Doesn't change the fact that Peach bodies ICs.

As stated earlier, the better you are at this game, the more skills are demanded from you. You won't get very far if you don't enjoy pressing buttons AND strategy. If strategy is demanded by default, the character with the most effective options and least amount of technical demands to execute strategy will be the easiest to play. While you could argue that this isn't true in some cases, I really don't buy it isn't true in most cases.

Bismo Funyuns

Smash Apprentice
That grossly underestimates both Sheik and Marth. There is a lot more to Marth than learning how to tip everything, also, that said, tipping when you need to and not tipping when you don't requires more precision than most things the spacies do because the sweetspot for tips are much tighter. That, in and of itself, shouldn't be discredited or written off.
I implied character specific things. Obviously Marth requires knowledge of chaingrab percents, a very unique spacing mindset, and lots of general tech skill, but that doesn't change that he's far easier than many other characters. And the Sheik thing was a dryly humorous nod at how people joke about her skill floor. Also, perfect nair OoS with Sheik is pretty hard actually.

Kerpy Derp

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kerpy Derp
3DS FC
3136-7596-2766
OK so I've figured out why armada made the switch and now that I'm reading it makes since. I know that this chat is about armada but why did shroomed make the switch:'(

1MachGO

Smash Ace
OK so I've figured out why armada made the switch and now that I'm reading it makes since. I know that this chat is about armada but why did shroomed make the switch:'(
IIRC, Shroomed said on twitter that he started to enjoy Sheik more. He said anyone could take Doc far if they put in the effort.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
As stated earlier, the better you are at this game, the more skills are demanded from you. You won't get very far if you don't enjoy pressing buttons AND strategy. If strategy is demanded by default, the character with the most effective options and least amount of technical demands to execute strategy will be the easiest to play. While you could argue that this isn't true in some cases, I really don't buy it isn't true in most cases.
You seem to think that spacing is tested equally for all characters, when in fact it isn't. That was my point in mentioning Marth's spacing to Bismo. Sometimes the player has to make a call about getting a tip or not within a fraction of a second, and the right decision leads to a combo and the other doesn't, and it takes far more precision to land a tipper (as well as setting up your positioning for it to be possible beforehand) than it does for Fox and Falco's moves. That is because the sweetspots on their movies are much larger and more forgiving, as well as the fact that their combos seem to be more focussed on being incredibly close to their opponents.

Also, while technically true, people just don't work that way. Some people will not enjoy nor find certain characters's playstyles to fit them, and even if that character is more or less difficult, for them they will not have the motivation to stick with it, most of the time. This is why you see people playing such a diverse cast, despite it being well known that Fox is most likely the best char since... like 2005?

Again, going back to PP and his unique case, well that's just how it is for him. Some other guy might not feel the same way, and perhaps will take comfort in the fact that he can actually use tech to get out of situations that aren't options for characters like Marth.

1MachGO

Smash Ace
You seem to think that spacing is tested equally for all characters, when in fact it isn't. That was my point in mentioning Marth's spacing to Bismo. Sometimes the player has to make a call about getting a tip or not within a fraction of a second, and the right decision leads to a combo and the other doesn't, and it takes far more precision to land a tipper (as well as setting up your positioning for it to be possible beforehand) than it does for Fox and Falco's moves. That is because the sweetspots on their movies are much larger and more forgiving, as well as the fact that their combos seem to be more focussed on being incredibly close to their opponents.

Also, while technically true, people just don't work that way. Some people will not enjoy nor find certain characters's playstyles to fit them, and even if that character is more or less difficult, for them they will not have the motivation to stick with it, most of the time. This is why you see people playing such a diverse cast, despite it being well known that Fox is most likely the best char since... like 2005?

Again, going back to PP and his unique case, well that's just how it is for him. Some other guy might not feel the same way, and perhaps will take comfort in the fact that he can actually use tech to get out of situations that aren't options for characters like Marth.
I never said spacing wasn't tested differently. I said technical demands are tested differently and I would argue spacing is one those. And yeah, it takes more precision to land a tipper with Marth than an aerial with Fox/Falco, but Marth can pressure shields with like 2 inputs whereas Fox/Falco can require upwards up 5 in rapid succession. Marth messing up his spacing could be the difference between getting a hit or getting a kill, whereas Fox/Falco messing up their spacing could be the difference between life or death.

And you are simply reiterating your argument without actually disproving mine. Again, does Peach not body ICs if it comes down to the player enjoying or not enjoying the MU? Arguing for subjectivity in this situation is simply getting in the way of clear logic and understanding of the game. Yeah, people are obviously not machines. That doesn't change the fact that Fox/Falco are understandably harder to use than Marth.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
but Marth can pressure shields with like 2 inputs whereas Fox/Falco can require upwards up 5 in rapid succession. Marth messing up his spacing could be the difference between getting a hit or getting a kill, whereas Fox/Falco messing up their spacing could be the difference between life or death.
Except Marth can't really pressure shields, unless that character has really poor OoS options, like Link or Samus. The reason for that is because, while a tippered aerial on shield is safe on block, you actually position to tipper your opponent, not his shield. The only time Marth can, and should, apply pressure through aerials is in a situation where his opponent is still, or stuck in place. Throwing out aerials for pressure, otherwise, will get you killed, because they aren't safe.

Because of this, Marth has to rely wayyyy more on his positioning and his decision making than Fox does. I'm not saying that Fox players make poorer decisions either, I'm simply saying that they have more options to be offensive and defensive to fall back on that can cover their mistakes. Yes, these typically require tech skill, but they are options that Marth and other characters don't have.

This all goes back to my point that while Marth is definitely easier on a technical level than Fox/Falco, that doesn't mean that everyone will find Marth to be easier (or less demanding) to play than Fox/Falco.
And you are simply reiterating your argument without actually disproving mine. Again, does Peach not body ICs if it comes down to the player enjoying or not enjoying the MU?
Of course Peach can beat down the ICs in that matchup. I never addressed this point because this has nothing to do with my argument. Just because certain characters have objective strengths against other characters doesn't change the fact that not everyone matches up with that character, or that they are willing to learn that character to exploit their strengths.

If you want to talk about playing the character vs playing the person, fine, but that isn't what I'm discussing. I'm simply saying that Marth isn't always easier to play for everyone than Fox/Falco.

1MachGO

Smash Ace
Except Marth can't really pressure shields, unless that character has really poor OoS options, like Link or Samus. The reason for that is because, while a tippered aerial on shield is safe on block, you actually position to tipper your opponent, not his shield. The only time Marth can, and should, apply pressure through aerials is in a situation where his opponent is still, or stuck in place. Throwing out aerials for pressure, otherwise, will get you killed, because they aren't safe.

Because of this, Marth has to rely wayyyy more on his positioning and his decision making than Fox does. I'm not saying that Fox players make poorer decisions either, I'm simply saying that they have more options to be offensive and defensive to fall back on that can cover their mistakes. Yes, these typically require tech skill, but they are options that Marth and other characters don't have.

This all goes back to my point that while Marth is definitely easier on a technical level than Fox/Falco, that doesn't mean that everyone will find Marth to be easier (or less demanding) to play than Fox/Falco.
Er, what? You either have the most complex definition of shield pressure or you have never played Marth. Marth shield pressure mostly involves dtilting and waiting lol. A well spaced dtilt can't even be punished by a frame perfect Fox wavedashing OoS to shine before another dtilt comes out and characters with slower wavedashes are even more ****ed. As long as your spacing is somewhat decent, the only characters that could probably counter dtilt pressure are nair/fair OoS from Falcon and Marth respectively. Even then, you could probably just CC or shield against those options and punish accordingly.

So basically...

Dtilt pressure vs. Fox/Falco shine pressure:
+No threat of being shield grabbed, shined OoS, or Up-b OoS due to your distance from the opponent
+Enormous frame advantage for punishing rolls or other OoS movement options
+Significantly less inputs. In fact, you could just dtilt once and start dash dancing or wait since they are already at frame disadvantage for being in shield.
-Dtilt grab is obviously not as reliable as shine grabs

Of course Peach can beat down the ICs in that matchup. I never addressed this point because this has nothing to do with my argument. Just because certain characters have objective strengths against other characters doesn't change the fact that not everyone matches up with that character, or that they are willing to learn that character to exploit their strengths.

If you want to talk about playing the character vs playing the person, fine, but that isn't what I'm discussing. I'm simply saying that Marth isn't always easier to play for everyone than Fox/Falco.
It has everything to do with this discussion. Characters have objective strengths just as much as they have objective requirements to play. Subjectivity and emotional comfort is secondary because you could argue it for anything. Westballz camping out Armada on battlefield is objectively more effective and easier due to having lower APM than traditional play. Arguing that "some people won't enjoy playing that way" is getting in the way of those facts.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
The dtilt is a poke, it isn't there to "pressure shields" you aren't gaining much by landing it on a shielded opponent, and it's not really pressure because it has virtually no safe follow-up pressure. If you define shield pressure as a single hit, then sure, by that definition it is shield pressure, but I'm thinking most everyone else considers shield pressure to be a string of hits, all relatively safe, that is done in order to weaken your opponents shield or to catch them at some point during the string of attacks with one of the hits, or perhaps a grab mixup during the pressure string.

If you think that you can sit around spamming d-tilt against the spacies (or most of the cast), even when spaced perfectly, then you will learn very fast that they will just start using short hopped aerials. The biggest problem with the d-tilt is that it doesn't cover aerial attacks, therefore, it's only safe on a grounded opponent. Compare this to Fox/Falco shield pressure, in which it is largely safe as long as they are in range to do so, don't overextend, and/or **** up tech.

Marth has no safe form of pressure strings like this, period. In fact, performing any aerial in neutral is a pretty bad idea, as you overly commit. Marth's greatest strength is his ability to counter damn near everything with his attacks due to his range and priority. By throwing out an aerial, you give up Marth's greatest strength and greatly limit his options. The only time where it is appropriate to really use aerials as pressure is if you have your opponent trapped in place, as in they are shielding under a platform, or are on top of a platform, and even that isn't really a long pressure string, more so an aerial or two, followed by a d-tilt, grab attempt, etc.

For examples of what I'm saying, watch Dr PP's Apex 2015 sets. Look for when he uses aerials, as it is almost never in neutral, and if he does them his opponent is either: in the air, on a platform, or stuck under a platform near a ledge/near a ledge.

It has everything to do with this discussion.
Sure, if you want to nitpick things down to each individual matchup and character specific things then yes, that is obviously a part of a character's overall difficulty, but I'm talking from a very macro-perspective because it's impossible for any of us to agree upon something that is so micro. On a macro level, people tend to play characters that match the style of play they prefer, and that does have a psychological affect on people. It's much easier to go with the tide than against it, and for some people, Marth's reliance on patient, semi-reactive play would be more difficult than Fox/Falco's barrage with safe pressure and rush-down style.

Last edited:

Hi_C

Smash Rookie
With Armada being the player that he is, I think the switch is good. Honestly I think that people over hype the whole "20XX" hysteria. At Apex, which was currently the biggest Melee tournament of all time, Fox didn't even win. Hell, even Yoshi was in top 8. I also think Armada will push the character to its limit and kind of redefine the meta like he did with Peach. I guess this is all speculation but it is interesting to see none the least.

1MachGO

Smash Ace
The dtilt is a poke, it isn't there to "pressure shields" you aren't gaining much by landing it on a shielded opponent, and it's not really pressure because it has virtually no safe follow-up pressure. If you define shield pressure as a single hit, then sure, by that definition it is shield pressure, but I'm thinking most everyone else considers shield pressure to be a string of hits, all relatively safe, that is done in order to weaken your opponents shield or to catch them at some point during the string of attacks with one of the hits, or perhaps a grab mixup during the pressure string.

If you think that you can sit around spamming d-tilt against the spacies (or most of the cast), even when spaced perfectly, then you will learn very fast that they will just start using short hopped aerials. The biggest problem with the d-tilt is that it doesn't cover aerial attacks, therefore, it's only safe on a grounded opponent. Compare this to Fox/Falco shield pressure, in which it is largely safe as long as they are in range to do so, don't overextend, and/or **** up tech.
Mookie, no. A disjointed, low range poke with 6 frames of shieldstun and 13 to 11 frames of cooldown is absurdly good on shields and its among the many reasons why this move is so good in neutral. All pressure really is is threatening your opponent with impending danger. If someone is shielding and you dtilt them, you are establishing a threat and coaxing them to commit to an OoS option (13+ frames of WD OoS, 27+ frame spot dodge, 30+ frame rolls, 3+ frames of jumpsquat + airborne frames). Wouldn't this set up for Marth's "ability to counter everything" as you go on about later?

Its really similar to classic "Mango pressure" where he gets his opponent in shield and starts dashdancing to bait a roll or punishable option. Dtilt is how you establish this pressure. Advantage is already created when you got them to shield. You can dtilt again if you are greedy/want to make them feel more pressured, but it really isn't necessary at that point.

Also, explain to me how Marth couldn't just CC, dash dance grab, utilt, or dash dance fair to punish an aerial OoS after dtilting them? Or better yet, show me footage of a high level Marth actually getting punished with an aerial OoS when perfectly spacing dtilt (excluding Marth or Falcon since they have already been accounted for).

Sure, if you want to nitpick things down to each individual matchup and character specific things then yes, that is obviously a part of a character's overall difficulty, but I'm talking from a very macro-perspective because it's impossible for any of us to agree upon something that is so micro. On a macro level, people tend to play characters that match the style of play they prefer, and that does have a psychological affect on people. It's much easier to go with the tide than against it, and for some people, Marth's reliance on patient, semi-reactive play would be more difficult than Fox/Falco's barrage with safe pressure and rush-down style.
I think you have it the wrong way around. The nitpick here is the classic "well, if you think about it..." mentality which is the reason you are bringing the human element into this conversation. An otherwise straightforward analysis of components in the game is being needlessly confounded by this perspective. Is it unapplicable? No. It's just that you can argue for the human element in virtually every situation and ignore core facts that existed prior. Falcon can dthrow a fastfaller into the corner of the stage and cover no tech, tech away, and tech in place with one option. The human element could dictate that teching in is the most common option, but that doesn't change the fact that three options can be covered at once.

Yet again, we can look at a mu that a character wins by performing a certain strategy. If you introduce the nitpick of the human element and begin to argue that the strategy isn't fun, well alright, I guess you COULD be right. But it's still at the expense of real information and shouldn't disprove how effective that strategy was. This extends to debating difficulty. Marth executes his strategies with less apm and more room for error than Fox. You can argue all day that "well, if you think about it, difficulty is subjective" but it doesnt change the facts found from the game itself.

And that's what it comes down to, your argument is nitpicky because it's primarily speculative. Imo, the human element is extremely important when considering meta trends, but you are only proposing what if scenarios that contradict facts within the game and statements professional players have made for the sake of it

Top Bottom