• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Learn how to earn your wings! A pit video critique thread :)

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
Bair when hit to the side, dair when hit upwards. Pit's aerials aren't the best momentum cancelers either way.
Sweet, thanks! I wasn't sure if it was dair and bair, or just dair lol

Also, sorry I meant to post in the Q&A not this video thread haha
My bad.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
i've have some good luck DI-ing sideways knockback with dair>jump dair so that's also a possibility if you miss a bair and hit dair on accident. tbh im not sure which is better anymore

edit:

wait, i actually do it opposite of you luckay. i DI sideways hits with dair>jump dair and upwards hits with bair>dair. we livin

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
@fuddo

you suffer a lot of the same problems i use too, in fact you look like to try to replicate some of my strategies tbh.

you gotta realize that you jab and nair and uair are all you really need to be using when DK is up close, oh ya and utilt and grab. all of those destroy DK. also you gotta start mirroring that recovery bro. for kills, utilt follow up to bair or just a well timed not staled smash. i only watched game 1 but ill watch the others later

@trye

i can't rate wifi matches as i've never played one. ask kuro or some other wifi player

edi:

fuddo, your pit is feral. i just wanted to say that as well

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
I don't think we can completely deny people if all they can do at the moment is wifi.

Riji

1:08 nice gimp there, knowing Pit is vulnerable in that state is very crucial for our character

1:52 thats an easy shield grab, whenever Pit glides at you just wait for the glide attack then grab. We can't space that move like metafag can.

2:20 same as above

aroun 2:30, you don't need to be approaching when you're at higher percent. You just walked into some **** right there. Work on your camping game more, even if its wifi.

You use forward smash too much, dsmash is fine if you want to have a static punishing move, but don't stale all of your strongest attacks. Use jab instead of fsmash and save fsmash for when people have 120+ percent.

Both you and jrage play like the same person lol, I've played him on wifi and I'd like to play you sometime and show you moreso how to use Pit. A lot of what I saw there was spot dodge>smash move>rinse>repeat.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ip7RixMz98A

critique plz. Old but i still want to learn the falco mu better. i already know not enough ar/uptilt. AR i can change easily but i have trouble seeing instances uptilt is god mode since it has such poor horizontal range. And yes ik bad air dodges in this match.

I lose to falco with every character i can use :( except mk cuz i play gay. But i don't like to use mk. Still have yet to use him in tourney cuz of that.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
you need to use both the air/platform camping, AND grounded near the ledge camping. u have a mirror, and an arrow that can hit from behind (that you can do while mirroring if you are flashy) his reflectors range if he is facing you. try holding your ground near the edge. when he approaches, he has to try and get through our dtilt, our jab, our jab infinite (both outrange and outright come out fast enough after falco misses a jab to it him and set him up to get grabbed or jabbed or dtilted), our AR, and if he somehow manages to get inside it's 50/50 between whether or not he gets utilted or you get jabbed, or they will clank. or you can do a read with WOI but that's a gamble. if after all that he still manages to get a grab on you, he can't do the pivot regrab one because we can footstool (if they perfect buffered) or just jump out of it, so he gets like 1-2 throws on us max then you just go under the stage and plank him hard from the ledge.

he isn't safe on platform because arrows hit from below, when we get the platform we can hold it off the edge near always (platform cancel out of ledge is useful here). then we can just plank the ledge as they platform reads as we can freely take the ledge at that point, and they all try to stop it and they all get uaired. then you have the oh so reliable utilt to get onstage with and that move combos into itself on an aerial tech chase if you will just keep utilting him, it either beats or trades with the spike (near always beats it) and you can follow up a uair.

once you get him recovering, you can intercept him with arrows, AR, utilt (it beats phantasm usually), jab flurry, dair (definitely owns the **** out of phantasm), our that flashy bair. usually wanna stick to the first 4 but those last ones are sex. when he dies, you plank him until he is at like 65% plus with that ledge and platform. rinse lather repeat all of this after first death.

i did all of this critique and falco knowledge lending at 47 seconds into this video, im going to watch the rest of it now. probably won't need to say anything else though

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
1:43 never roll towards someone in a time of pressure, and never roll on platforms period.

2:30 Don't bother trying to cg falco, two fthrows then ss fsmash.

3:28 Angel ring at high percents is you just begging to get killed. I only use it to punish a roll or finish off a combo that I'm already expecting to die from being punished for.

You basically lost because of those airdodges, Falco grab follow ups just punish you horrendously for that.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
right after your first kill at around 1min 40 sec you should have planked until he had some damage on him. same with 3min 50sec.

everything else was masterfully done as usual man. at like 4min 55sec i really like that glide toss>arrow slide off the edge. that is something ill have to remember when i play gnes next. your arrow game is still top notch, and your overall gameplay is unique and effective. i look forwards to more vids

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
just air camp the platform more with dair and ff fairs and such. it's still an advantageous position, just not as advantageous. however the fact that it keeps those ledge grabs down make it necessary

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUsVvdDw3J8&feature=channel_video_title

WF against Prinz.

Last match is :pit: vs :metaknight:

God, I made so many mistakes :/
Wow those tornados were so obvious :/

Punish mk landings better w/upsmash, dash attack, pivot grab. Hassle him w/arrows/upair from below. Stop missing punishes on nado. Dash attack. The worst that could happen is he comes and gives u a few % while u can get ~10% or a kill. He wasn't even nadoing correctly. Mirror shield if he spams it. It resets the situation. GOod job at adapting to off the ledge nados. Upthrow at mid to mid-high %. At kil % dthrow to set up a rps for the kill. Every time he whiffed a nado and retreated he'd roll towards you cuz you overextended yourself. Punish these obvious defensive actons man. Most mk will SP, roll, or GSL. All can be punished if read correctly. Don't lose patience. Don't forget you can roll out of a nado and w/pits really good froll it makes it pretty easy to avoid those pesky low shield situations. or spotdodge the last few frames.
Or if nado is on the tip of your shield up-b OoS and press shield right away.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
http://www.twitch.tv/rockettrainer/b/294750445

my first game against trela starts at 12:20 sorry about the quality but it's the best i can do. im not posting game 2 because quite frankly i don't need people telling me "it looks like you weren't even focusing that time" because i wasn't. this dude wouldn't stop leaning on me and stepping on my foot and i just couldn't get focused then i got flustered and it was bad

also, i know these vids im about too post are gonna make me look bad, but i swear it's just nike that bodies me this hard in money matches. hell i do better against like jerm and trela and u1tim@t3 r@z0r then i do against nike. (i feel like illmatic, just can't beat this guy)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYDbZqBGxrg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaIFrZFgpg&feature=related

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
vs Trela

Beginning of the match you were airdodging all over the place when it wasn't necessary lol. At least you got him to last stock and didn't let him get too much time with high aura whenever he was at high percent. Starting at battlefield was probably bad, but better than Yoshi's so I'm sure he would have gone there if you striked battlefield.

One thing about Lucario is you can't be too scared of his aura sphere or else you'll just let him get a fully charged one. I was playing No-Idea earlier today and taking half charged shots is way better than taking fully charged ones. Also don't fall down with mirror shield when he shoots an aura sphere offstage at you, I learned that from playing Trela in February. Just jump over those or airdodge them because it serves no use reflecting them.

You planked too much which got you dair spiked and killed by a dtilt. You have to make a decision sooner or your opponent will counter your planking somehow.

Good recovery for the most part going to the safer side of the stage with woi every time. I wish I would have seen more utilt, dair, and dash attack. You didn't have much of a problem killing, but dash attack and dair are kill moves at high percents. Also when he is comboing you don't fight back, just get out as soon as possible because players with momentum get better reads and its alwas best to reset the situation.

vs Nike

:46 Definitely shouldn't have killed, always momentum cancel.

Match 2

:24 Wow, get *****. Sorry lol.

Nothing else in-particular, but one thing is you can't beat Marth if you're playing defense the whole time. It's pretty much a stalemate when you're on the ledge since he is nearly immune to planking. Get back onstage and fight back, but be smart about it because his moves are faster, especially his aerials, and have less lag than ours. Keep up with Marth, but don't be too cocky because Marth is a better character. We do have arrows, but Marth can get in so fast that they will only help a little in the matchup so you have to box him. Save arrow spam for hitting him offstage.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
thank you for the advice luckay.

also about the airdodging, i theorized if wario can do it and get away with it, why not pit with 4 jumps? obviously im missing something though because i wound up getting hit anyways

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
my reasoning behind it was we have 4 jumps and with average AD's/mobility whereas he only has the one really good AD/excellent mobility so i was hoping the extra jumps made up for it. obviously not though.

so from wat i get basically your saying that overall i play too campy/defensively overall and need to develop my offensive game right? that being the case ima go study yours and kool-aid's write ups on offense in the style compendium. any particular offensive tactic yall think i should focus on more than others?

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
my reasoning behind it was we have 4 jumps and with average AD's/mobility whereas he only has the one really good AD/excellent mobility so i was hoping the extra jumps made up for it. obviously not though.

so from wat i get basically your saying that overall i play too campy/defensively overall and need to develop my offensive game right? that being the case ima go study yours and kool-aid's write ups on offense in the style compendium. any particular offensive tactic yall think i should focus on more than others?
Mix ups. Reading landings. And reading habits when you approach.And knowing when to use the mix-up over a standard you have/develop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfwo3tYiRAc&t=4m24s

I was kinda off my game this day. Messed up on my arrow usage quite a bit and missed the uptilt/upsmash choice way too often which hurt me. Nonetheless i came out on top cuz he thought i'd drop shield. I also was focusing on developing dair usage. . Worked out kinda nicely.I also need to remember to hold the charge on fsmash for half a second to beat out airdodge and spotdodge. I keep thinking it'd win w/o it but it doesn't I'm so good at avoiding farts by a hair now haha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTKKECewPJw&feature=related&t=9m40s vs Gaw. I need to master my zoning in this mu. Pay more attention to my opponents spacing. Stop missing free upsmash. And stop trying to challenge bair when i can easily space away and punish easily. Need to use spaced upairs more. Practice landing bairs as GaW is one of the easier characters to land it on since they tend to fall into patterns easier.

On a side note: Krystedez you'd be so proud of my wario :cry:

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
for the g&w i would use more sh fair but overall you played both matches fine, the g&w just kinda abused his advantages (like that stupid extra hitbox bair has when he lands that almost always shield pokes, it's dumb)

btw your a boss at the wario MU

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
for the g&w i would use more sh fair but overall you played both matches fine, the g&w just kinda abused his advantages (like that stupid extra hitbox bair has when he lands that almost always shield pokes, it's dumb)

btw your a boss at the wario MU
Thanks ^_^
Eh pit has outs to bair. Several. I am just very unpracticed in the mu.Which is why i got hit by like every dair even though pit can stop it so easy :( I'll show yall it aint dat bad!:D

Haha wario was my bane for so long. Took forever to learn it. It really isn't that bad a mu if you just ignore time and stay safe and choose the right stage. I've now officially beaten every wario in Fl i've played at least once w/pit :D.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
don't get me wrong, im good against g&w. doesn't change the fact that there are reasons he has the advantage lol
Oh ik he has an advantage and ik why. I'm just saying...stuff that was working that shouldn't have worked that consistently did...cuz i was bad.

The epic Toonlink didn't come :( so wasn't able to get my Money matches with him. I am disappoint :cry:

Blubolouis

Smash Lord
Hey guys, I was at a small smashfest the other day, and even though nothing will be uploaded on youtube, the stream replays are still watchable for a week or so, so if you're interested you can see a bit of my pit, as well as a bit of Tynoto's pit, another french pit user.

http://fr.twitch.tv/yami2b/b/295877035
my part starts at around 11min. Tyno's right before and probably in the "part 1" below the video, and in other videos recorder on sept 24th.

If you have any advice, do tell!

Top Bottom