• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Learn how to earn your wings! A pit video critique thread :)

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
I'm going to elaborate with a lot of stuff that I read in this thread.
First off, I'm really proud of Mystic and his motivation in this game. He wants to improve and be the best (similar to me when I started).

Your friends are really great guys, and gave superb tips. I don't know much about Pit and all of his advanced techniques but I do want to give a few pointers in general for when we play next time.

-If you're planking me and want to come back onto the stage don't just do a regular getup or jump up. Dair will eat all of that easily and mess you up badly. Try working with all of your jumps and your Wings of Icarus to get veer away from the stage and come back. It would be much better off getting hit by a nair or fair "occasionally" then just getting up and eating my kicking feet EVERY single time.

-Air camping was pretty effective vs Peach in general. I told you this after our match and I feel as though you took it into consideration in a few friendlies later. Dair was working pretty well to knock out my options of punishing you when you landed as well as frequent fairs. Try working with multi hit moves (nair and uair) a bit more to get in some strings on Peach. She's floaty and light, if you mix in some good reads you can have a field day.

-Just because you're Pit - don't go for all your kill moves in the air. Remember, I'm PEACH. In my opinion our character (when mastered) has the second best air control/mobility in the entire game. Until you truly understand everything about your character and master him don't combat me in the air, especially at kill percentages. I will beat you.

-Kill moves on the ground are a must. Peach is floaty and pretty light, a dsmash or unpredicted fsmash at around 120-130% should get the job done. Falling bairs should work nicely because we don't have much of a second jump and can't get out of the way quickly if we are floating near the ground. Don't forget about your dash attack option if I'm at high killing percentage also.

-Drop the stupid stuff you are doing. I understand that you may think I'm a "pro" player or something but I want to elaborate on what Kuro said, I can't do more than what my character is capable of. I just may be at a further understanding at the moment compared to everyone else. Random side-b moves as well as arrow curving, random Wings of Icarus, shooting arrows in the wrong situation, will get you ****ed up. I'm not falling for that stuff, trust me. I knew you would do it on me third stock, so I just reacted upon it. Play more safe bro, you'll figure out this game a lot faster.

-Fight me a bit more. You may think you can outcamp me, but my playstyle isn't like every other Peach. I'm not afraid to pressure the living **** out of you - so just fight me back. You'll get much more damage then just running the whole time for the ledge. HOWEVER - if you are in a strong position on the ledge, by all means do it.

In Conclusion:

1) Play more safe
2) Stop On Stage Camping
3) Kill moves on ground
4) Keep up your confidence

Most of the time throughout this set, I wasn't really trying to do ANYTHING to you. I just waited for you to do something and reacted upon it. I had a few good reads, and advanced techniques - but I just knew what you wanted (and it wasn't working too well), so I implemented on it. Mix it up a bit more but at the same time play more safe. Shield upwards on my dair and either roll or try to knock me out of it with Upsmash (test it please, I think it can work). You need some help in this matchup, so I'm giving it you.

I'm positive you can becoming a high level player in our state if you stay on the road you are currently on. I hope this helps!

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
kuro.... wutt abowt meh vid vs razuh?
Pretty much everything illmatic said below can be said for your match vs razor. You weren't safe enough, and you didn't capitalize enough, and you rushed things a few times cuz you were either nervous or just messed up technical execution. e.g. missing the super easy gimp in the beginning. You can't ever pass up an early stock against snake. Also, you tried boxing snake wayyyyyyy too much. You have to be more careful with that.
I'm going to elaborate with a lot of stuff that I read in this thread.
First off, I'm really proud of Mystic and his motivation in this game. He wants to improve and be the best (similar to me when I started).

Your friends are really great guys, and gave superb tips. I don't know much about Pit and all of his advanced techniques but I do want to give a few pointers in general for when we play next time.

-If you're planking me and want to come back onto the stage don't just do a regular getup or jump up. Dair will eat all of that easily and mess you up badly. Try working with all of your jumps and your Wings of Icarus to get veer away from the stage and come back. It would be much better off getting hit by a nair or fair "occasionally" then just getting up and eating my kicking feet EVERY single time.

-Air camping was pretty effective vs Peach in general. I told you this after our match and I feel as though you took it into consideration in a few friendlies later. Dair was working pretty well to knock out my options of punishing you when you landed as well as frequent fairs. Try working with multi hit moves (nair and uair) a bit more to get in some strings on Peach. She's floaty and light, if you mix in some good reads you can have a field day.

-Just because you're Pit - don't go for all your kill moves in the air. Remember, I'm PEACH. In my opinion our character (when mastered) has the second best air control/mobility in the entire game. Until you truly understand everything about your character and master him don't combat me in the air, especially at kill percentages. I will beat you.

-Kill moves on the ground are a must. Peach is floaty and pretty light, a dsmash or unpredicted fsmash at around 120-130% should get the job done. Falling bairs should work nicely because we don't have much of a second jump and can't get out of the way quickly if we are floating near the ground. Don't forget about your dash attack option if I'm at high killing percentage also.

-Drop the stupid stuff you are doing. I understand that you may think I'm a "pro" player or something but I want to elaborate on what Kuro said, I can't do more than what my character is capable of. I just may be at a further understanding at the moment compared to everyone else. Random side-b moves as well as arrow curving, random Wings of Icarus, shooting arrows in the wrong situation, will get you ****ed up. I'm not falling for that stuff, trust me. I knew you would do it on me third stock, so I just reacted upon it. Play more safe bro, you'll figure out this game a lot faster.

-Fight me a bit more. You may think you can outcamp me, but my playstyle isn't like every other Peach. I'm not afraid to pressure the living **** out of you - so just fight me back. You'll get much more damage then just running the whole time for the ledge. HOWEVER - if you are in a strong position on the ledge, by all means do it.

In Conclusion:

1) Play more safe
2) Stop On Stage Camping
3) Kill moves on ground
4) Keep up your confidence

Most of the time throughout this set, I wasn't really trying to do ANYTHING to you. I just waited for you to do something and reacted upon it. I had a few good reads, and advanced techniques - but I just knew what you wanted (and it wasn't working too well), so I implemented on it. Mix it up a bit more but at the same time play more safe. Shield upwards on my dair and either roll or try to knock me out of it with Upsmash (test it please, I think it can work). You need some help in this matchup, so I'm giving it you.

I'm positive you can becoming a high level player in our state if you stay on the road you are currently on. I hope this helps!
@the player/character thing Haha ya that's what i was trying to say in someways.

Blubolouis

Smash Lord
Getting help from both Pits and your opponent is probably the best way to improve.
I use Pit against Yami from time to time, so I've read all of this with attention x)

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
damn! thanks for the super in depth critique illmatic! and same goes to you kuro for backing it up. and also thanks a lot for having confidence in me man. it's appreciated and motivating

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
I saw your matches vs Razor! You have potential Maharba...definitely! I don't remember everything about the snake match cuz I saw it a couple days ago, but from what I remember--you do try to impress the players too much instead of what is practical. Your ledge game needs some improvement, specifically w/ your amount of arrow usage(need more) and your planking game/mixups. I think you got him down to 1-2 stock I believe which is very good vs Razor. Play it safer and use more arrows. Don't try to WOI all of his grenades, just mirror shield them or prevent snake from throwing them by using arrows.

I agree w/ whoever said that you seem to panic when you play higher-level players. Just play calm and to the best of your abilities.

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
Money Match 1

Match 2

This guy was pretty rusty btw, still a good set, too bad bout them sds.

Edit: Also here's a set vs Ice Climbers Luckay is Free

I think I have the ICs matchup down, I just need to be smarter with planking. Even if the lgl is 50 I don't want to go above 35. Maybe critique the snake one since I still have minor mishaps vs Snake.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Money Match 1

Match 2

This guy was pretty rusty btw, still a good set, too bad bout them sds.

Edit: Also here's a set vs Ice Climbers Luckay is Free

I think I have the ICs matchup down, I just need to be smarter with planking. Even if the lgl is 50 I don't want to go above 35. Maybe critique the snake one since I still have minor mishaps vs Snake.
I mean, you won. Do you want anything said still or not? Jus checkin.

Zulo

Smash Ace
Wow, you played awesomely against that Snake. Not much I can say, but you should watch these if you haven't already, Earth vs Shu. He plays the matchup perfectly. One thing to note, when he expected a DACUS he would face away from Snake. Probably to shield grab.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
im still watching these but what i notice right off the bat is against grounded opponents you almost NEVER charge your arrows. start changing the timing of every arrow, it mindgames people in and of itself and makes them shield happy

Esca

Smash Champion
Luckay your Pit is looking good! :)

If I had anything to critique, I'd say work on perfecting spacing and learn how to control the stage a little better. Also, there were a couple times where you had the read, but you were thinking about it too much and missed it. Just go with the flow, bro. :)

side-b snake a little more, more-so whenever he dacus's toward the stage.

i like your wing-refreshing tactics, i didnt realize pit could jet across the stage so fast in his upb, i will have to steal it from you. :)

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
luckay those vids be sexy, but i have to watch round 3 of ICs still but against snake pretty much just what esca said. seems like you actually know the MU pretty well tho.... lucky. wish i was better against snake :p

and ya, gonna start using WOI as a method of travel after seeing it used properly

EDIT:

shark more with uair on halberd. there is no reason to fight on stage on that part really. you can just shoot arrows up from under or through the sides, and if they plant c4 by that side just drop a little farther than normal and glide to other side because if they try to edge hog you they have glide attack and 2 more aerials to worry about and then you still have WOI to recover if you couldn't get the ledge for some reason

at YI..... why are you doing worse against sopo than you are against normal ICs? i don't get it :urg:

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
I think the thing is when I fight Ice Climbers I'm more patient/campy when there is two of them and they're obviously trying to set up some crap to get the grab. Sopo throws away the cg after 30% and is more focused on attacking and I obviously let my guard down when he doesn't have an infinite to death so I'm more lax. I still tried to time out sopo, but it seems like I planked too much. I bet the timeout would have worked on a bigger stage.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Ya from what i saw your biggest problem was not using arrows well enough vs the snake. You stayed safe pretty well. Work on being as patient with snake as you are with IC's when you need to. Cuz he can be pretty dangerous for us if we get a little too crazy.

Added your vids under the respective matchups in the youtube thread.

Abel1994

Smash Lord
Allbrex told me that no one watches Pit videos on youtube. I think he's right. Like 99% of the smash community doesnt use pit. All his videos dont get as much views at all compared to somone else :/

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
pit isn't watched because koolaid is the only person to place top 5 with pit in any tourney for months, maybe even years now. however i plan on taking top 10 at HOBO which hasn't been done in months even by esca

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
so do you wanna hang out at all man? i sent you a pm about saturday. mayb one of us could go to the other's place friday night so that way we would have all saturday. i would need to leave your place if i went there around 8 if i wanted to get sleep because i work at 5am on sundays but if you came here you could sleep and leave whenever you want bro. seriously go check out my post in the houston thread, im sick of having nothing to do/no1 to consistently go do stuff with. i don't care about brawl as long as im hanging out with peeps and as of right now you are the best friend i have in texas. lets chill

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
Aim your arrows down when he's spin dashing at you. Don't get spring gimped, punish his falling with arrows. You pretty much have to react to whatever he does because he is just to fast to be aggro against. The good part is he only has 2 good kill moves. Watch of for his bair most of the time. His fsmash is like 17 frames or some crap lol so he'll try to charge it a short distance away from you and pray that you walk into it. Just stay away from him.

Pitzer

The Young Lion
NNID
Pitzer757
18* frames and 15 frames depends on the angle he throws it in. I should write a match-up guide since I have to play vs D1aos A lot down here.

Xcallion

Smash Ace
he has epic mindgames with all the SD, SDC, SDJ, ect. This makes it hard to control the flow of the match and slow it down to your pace, but it is possible with some good reads. If he Spin Dashes towards you and you think he's going for the combo, just AR and follow up with a jab(assuming you have enough space to do so).

I wouldnt use arrows too much in this MU because he can and does punish arrow draw and drop lag(gets on my nerves all the time) so only use them while he's offstage or very far away(this rarely happens). His f-tilt is what he's going to use in non SD CQC so learn the range of that as it outranges most of our stuff, but well spaced f-tilt and d-tilt. You should be using every move you have to beat him.

As mentioned before sonic loves his f-smash and for good reason. Too bad it's so slow that he needs mindgames to hit you though. His bair is his other kill move though. He can SD combo into a bair and kill you at times. His u-throw has epic follow-ups so make sure you DI to a side when he grabs you, because in all probabliity he's going for that u-throw>uair>spring>u-air which kills if you dont know about it. Be assured that any good sonic will try it on a new person at least once. Just play super safe, slow him down to your level with your CQC game. He can only overwhelm you if you let him.

Esca

Smash Champion
Guys, please start posting some vids! I like watching vids and learning things from you guys, but I haven't seen too much recently!

I know I'm a hypocrite, but I'll try and get vids at HOBO. Mystic needs to remind me, I tend to forget. =P

I seriously wish we had someone with good enough video editing skills to make a Pit Community Combo Video.

Guys critique my '08 Pit! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvvEk1naC44

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Guys, please start posting some vids! I like watching vids and learning things from you guys, but I haven't seen too much recently!

I know I'm a hypocrite, but I'll try and get vids at HOBO. Mystic needs to remind me, I tend to forget. =P

I seriously wish we had someone with good enough video editing skills to make a Pit Community Combo Video.

Guys critique my '08 Pit! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvvEk1naC44
I'll have your wish granted soon ;) ~30+ vids on the way against various characters. Too bad im still a fledgling pit :(

Top Bottom