• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Le Lazy Lurking Link's Listen/Laugh Lounge ♪~ (^ 。^=)

Rizen

Smash Legend
What Rizen said. I tried relearning the DACUS on a gamecube controller, and I'd keep SH D-airing the CPU until I realized I could do that on the Wiimote XD

Rathian is the easiest, I think, out of all monsters--including the Great Jaggi. Or maybe that's because I've killed/captured so many trying to make my low and high Rathian armor, that she seems easy.

Some are. Again, check that website. I should probably start referring to it again: I spent almost two weeks looking for Monster Fluid when some random guy told me it's a quest reward for a 2* quest. :urg:

Sleeping 350 thunder element? What? Either it's a sleep hammer or it's a thunder element. Not both.

Also, you use a Wiimote to play, or a Classic Controller pro? I noticed you didn't finish the Spirit Combo for the LS in the arena. Keep Pressing Z and, after the fourth combo, hit A to strike in a wide, circular pattern--Wiimote.
I use the classic controller, the control sticks are positioned like a PS2 controller's, when I switch back to brawl GC controller my thumbs 'think' directions are lower and I'll Dair instead of Bair or Dsmash instead of quick dash attacking with 'C'.

Hammers are great vs Raths and most monsters but Bari and Djho are too fast for the slow semi-short hits. Hammers usually hit up or down so I have to be careful not to flip my partner(s). Charged attacks have big damage areas.

Wait for an ant to eat mushrooms from a gathering spot; it will expand like honey pot ants. Kill it and a sparkle will appear, it's often monster fluid.

I meant the element needs Awaken to be in effect, not causes sleep. 'Bad phrasing.

Classic Controller. I was completely winging it. I don't know Katanas but it supported your Axe well and I could space it.

I got 1 of the 2 Wyvern stones I need from the Fisherman's Fiend quest. HR grinding is a tedious pain.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Sigh. I've been getting very disillusioned playing Link on teams and FFAs. I just don't see how he's viable at all either way, even less so than 1v1. He's too slow to do much and suffers from getting caught in the middle, usually has to approach with all the chaos and since his projectiles usually are too slow to be worthwhile, and if he's knocked offstage he has a nigh impossible chance of getting back on with so many people looking for an easy edgeguard (unless they stupidly hit each other), and he gets combo'd to heck when multiple people are involved. I've been tier-whoring Diddy Kong and Wario in FFA's and teams lately because I just can't stand getting gang-***** as Link. I'm ashamed of myself :(

quirkynature

Smash Ace
I got 1 of the 2 Wyvern stones I need from the Fisherman's Fiend quest. HR grinding is a tedious pain.
How about this: I'd just polished off my Lagiacrus at HR20 and this group of elites came in (HR 80+ all) and helped me finish off all my key quests in about an hour and a half. Then, they left. Almost 7 HRs worth of grinding.

My friend, I feel your pain. Let's get you that second Wyvern Stone, if you haven't already.

Sigh. I've been getting very disillusioned playing Link on teams and FFAs.
I love FFAs! No finesse needed. No Z-air needed. Use Link's strongest moves without great danger of retaliation!

F-smash like crazy, D-smash like your life depends on it, go D-air happy, F-air rocks, pull out a bomb and start tossing it wildly. If you feel lulzy, toss in a F-tilt somewhere along the lines. Feel gutsy? SPIN ATTACK!

At least, that's how I play my FFAs.

XD

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Anybody on to WiFi? :p
I'd thought i'd check here to take offers.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Bah, curses! Never on at just the right time! I would like to play you sometime LP since it seems like you play a ton of characters, which is always a ton of fun. Reminds me of several DK ditto matches between me and Scabe. DK = hilarious and fun.

I love FFAs! No finesse needed. No Z-air needed. Use Link's strongest moves without great danger of retaliation!

F-smash like crazy, D-smash like your life depends on it, go D-air happy, F-air rocks, pull out a bomb and start tossing it wildly. If you feel lulzy, toss in a F-tilt somewhere along the lines. Feel gutsy? SPIN ATTACK!
But that's the problem! I feel like I can't even jab, nair, or zair without getting ultra-punished! Retreating fairs, nairs and zairs do work well, but only when you've got room to retreat and there's noone behind you. When I try stuff that has that any lag I just get annihilated! With someone like Wario or Diddy I can just aircamp until an opening appears or use naners to cover my butt while going on the offensive by forcing a trip (with all those people it'll hit someone); with Link I just feel like I get pinned in the middle because he's so slow.

I still have no problem playing Link one on one, since I only have to read and react to one person. But when you throw in multiple people, it's just so much harder to space and you get punished harder and easier. Link has a hard enough time fighting one person; when the match shifts to a 3-v-1 for a few seconds when you leave even a small opening, Link just can't handle it. Am I doing something wrong? Because it feels like even Ganon is more viable in FFAs because he can at least get ******** kills at low percents, and people can't focus as much on you so you have an easier time getting an opening.

Also, just in case anyone hasn't seen it, this is the greatest commercial ever. For serious.

Rizen

Smash Legend
My friend, I feel your pain. Let's get you that second Wyvern Stone, if you haven't already.
I played that stupid quest at least 7 times unsuccessfully. But I KNOW the Fisherman's tale gives it because I got 1. That was when I did every sub quest.
Everyone want's to hunt a Rathian, I'm even more sick of that:dizzy:. I'm HR39 and beat the urgent quest so new hunts are just around the corner:bee:.
I want to play wifi! I just can't organize a good time:urg:. 'Keep missing people.
first was metroid threat, and now pokemon

can make this threat a F-Zaro Threat Plisssssss

long time i dont see you guys jajaja

well, read you... jjaja
What does jajaja mean?
Bah, curses! Never on at just the right time! I would like to play you sometime LP since it seems like you play a ton of characters, which is always a ton of fun. Reminds me of several DK ditto matches between me and Scabe. DK = hilarious and fun.

But that's the problem! I feel like I can't even jab, nair, or zair without getting ultra-punished! Retreating fairs, nairs and zairs do work well, but only when you've got room to retreat and there's noone behind you. When I try stuff that has that any lag I just get annihilated! With someone like Wario or Diddy I can just aircamp until an opening appears or use naners to cover my butt while going on the offensive by forcing a trip (with all those people it'll hit someone); with Link I just feel like I get pinned in the middle because he's so slow.
Were you the Link who gets hit offstage and someone says "Everybody get Link he's off?" Someone said they had that happen to them.
In FFAs retreat and spam. Stay away from edges as always, but if you are pinned remember Link can safely Ztether plank for some time. Link's more vulnerable using ground attacks then SHs. Airdodge a lot. Play defensively. If Dair is high enough to landing cancel it's a great defense coming down onto the fray. And yes Link does suck:(.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Were you the Link who gets hit offstage and someone says "Everybody get Link he's off?"
Yeah, that was me. It kinda goes against everyone, like if Pit is in WoI or if Ganon/Ike is charging up a Warlock punch/Fsmash and you have a poor soul in a grab next to him and can throw him in it, but Link kinda gets screwed by it hardest I think because of the "Link sucks" stigma and because he can't really respond to it (ironically, MK also sucks in FFAs because he has the "OMG it's MK" stigma so it's an unspoken you must 3-v-1 him until he's eliminated, and even MK has trouble 3-v-1, haha). When I say "pinned," I should define it more and say "trapped in the middle". Does Link really have any options that are safe from both sides? Usually I try to SH zair, nair or fair and shield upon landing and hope the person at my back doesn't try to grab me. If there are platforms I can reach I'll try to FH nair and get on a platform since nair has a decent hitbox behind him as well, but then I have the problem of safely landing and being in an unfavorable position with multiple people below me (AC'ing dair is nice but since you bounce if they shield the hit someone else can hit you and possibly even the other person via shieldstabbing/breaking; which is another unspoken rule; if someone's shield breaks, you let the strongest character run up and punish with a big hit).

Also, what, Red Ryu? :confused:

quirkynature

Smash Ace
Everyone want's to hunt a Rathian, I'm even more sick of that:dizzy:. I'm HR39 and beat the urgent quest so new hunts are just around the corner:bee:

What does jajaja mean?

Playing Link in FFAs
Yeah, lots of Rathians today. I got about 4 rubies and 7 plates. I helped two people out today and within the first five minutes, we had two faints. I told them to stay away and handled it on my own. Rathian is easy. I'm sick of hunting her. XD

'jajaja' is a spanish way of saying 'hahaha'. 'J' is pronounced like 'h' in Spanish.

I read all of those comments guys. >:E
HAHAHA CANDID...comment? XD

Playing Link in FFAs.

Also, what, Red Ryu? :confused:
OMG Ike is a beast in FFAs. Get somebody to 50% and wait for that F-smash and Ike gains one stock what the ****. Whenever Link's surrounded, I tend to spam Spin Attack. Although it tends to backfire a lot since people shield a lot...

Metroid: Other M spoilers. XD

Rizen

Smash Legend
Does Link really have any options that are safe from both sides? Usually I try to SH zair, nair or fair and shield upon landing and hope the person at my back doesn't try to grab me.
Dsmash, Utilt, buffered Spot dodge, SH/Jump Nair/bombpull/airdodge, SH/Jump throw/drop bomb, invincibomb, SH/Jump Bair>double jump. There's no real safe option, Arkive told me he tries to land behind shielding opponents with Nair. Cautious double jumps from OoS have a lot of setups.
Yeah, lots of Rathians today. I got about 4 rubies and 7 plates. I helped two people out today and within the first five minutes, we had two faints. I told them to stay away and handled it on my own. Rathian is easy. I'm sick of hunting her. XD

'jajaja' is a spanish way of saying 'hahaha'. 'J' is pronounced like 'h' in Spanish.

HAHAHA CANDID...comment? XD

OMG Ike is a beast in FFAs. Get somebody to 50% and wait for that F-smash and Ike gains one stock what the ****. Whenever Link's surrounded, I tend to spam Spin Attack. Although it tends to backfire a lot since people shield a lot...

Metroid: Other M spoilers. XD
I only got 1 ruby all this time. For some reason they're green:dizzy:. After looking further into the web site I saw wyvern stones can be obtained from any of theses:
Qurupeco, Royal Ludroth, Barroth, Gobul,
Gigginox, Diablos, Barioth, Agnaktor (High rank)
My bad. I still need 1.

I should have guessed.

Ike rules FFAs.

@ Red Ryu:
Sorry for spoiling that info.

Where's Scabe?

I'm going to a decent sized local smash tourney Sat (for my region:ohwell:), so I'll not play MH3 as much because I need to sharpen my Brawl edge.

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I'd love to play you some time :bee:

Also, is this it? .__. I kinda thought the Link boards would be a bit more, idk, numerous? lol?

I've also yet to see a Link make it on the PR :mad: I want to change that.

quirkynature

Smash Ace
buffered Spot Dodge.

Wyvern stones

Where's Scabe?

I'm going to a decent sized local smash tourney Sat (for my region:ohwell:), so I'll not play MH3 as much because I need to sharpen my Brawl edge.
[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]
Buffered Spot-dodge? Give me an example of that, please? How would that work out in a match?

I found Qurupeco easiest to farm for wyvern stones with two people. Attack from both ends, break wings and beak and capture. It's a 7 minute match if done right.

You know, I haven't seen him around, either. :urg:

w00t GO RIZEN!! Get a few vids of you from the tourney, if possible?

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Buffered spot-dodge, hmmmm.... actually, would that be faster than a buffered shield? Spotdodge grants invincibility starting frame 2, right? What does shield take? Is shield 2 or 3 frames? In big FFA's, the chance for mindgames is so much smaller since if you don't take advantage of any windows you have immediately, they'll close simply because of other people being around to close them, so I bet it'd be a lot harder to just read the spotdodge and wait it out. I'm gonna have to start trying that.

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Wait, wait! How does that work?

Jab cancel into a spot-dodge? I don't understand. Why would you want to buffer a spot-dodge?
I've been told you can buffer anything, lol. Buffering a Spot Dodge would help after something like an Fair over the ledge, if it misses and you know you didn't time the ledge hop appropriately enough to gain invincibility frames.

quirkynature

Smash Ace
I've been told you can buffer anything, lol. Buffering a Spot Dodge would help after something like an Fair over the ledge, if it misses and you know you didn't time the ledge hop appropriately enough to gain invincibility frames.
Ooooh, hey, I see the applications now.

Hmm...If someone shields on jabs, buffer in a spot dodge?

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Ooooh, hey, I see the applications now.

Hmm...If someone shields on jabs, buffer in a spot dodge?
If you mean the last hit included, then you'd be pretty much open there. Say you're attacking Ganon, who's grab range is utter fail, he can block your last hit of Jab, and buffer a Dash Attack out of a dropped shield.
The last hit is pretty much terrible on shields, lmao, unless you've got some quick thinking. You could buffer a Spot Dodge, but they could Pivot Grab immediately after your Dodge ends, countering it out completely. I'd go for something like a SH-Nair to clear room, or even another Jab afterward.
Just know your options and think about what you're going to do next, and you'll have no problems.

Buffering is also resourceful for when you're trying to score quick KOs(Jab, Jab, buffered Spin Attack)

So by all means, switching up your buffering options is key when trying to maneuver as fast as possible.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Buffered spot-dodge, hmmmm.... actually, would that be faster than a buffered shield? Spotdodge grants invincibility starting frame 2, right? What does shield take? Is shield 2 or 3 frames? In big FFA's, the chance for mindgames is so much smaller since if you don't take advantage of any windows you have immediately, they'll close simply because of other people being around to close them, so I bet it'd be a lot harder to just read the spotdodge and wait it out. I'm gonna have to start trying that.
Link's spot dodges start faster than shields and you can go strait to a spot dodge by tapping down or 'C' down and shield at the same time. If Link's running and you angle the control stick down and shield he will spot dodge slide the distance of a shield dash which can be good to avoid grabs.
I think shielding is slowest from running, next slowest from standing and fastest from walking. Skipping the shield raise lag by spotdodge sliding which starts instantly can be good but you have to commit 25 frames including 5 frames end lag.
Buffering's best for OoS and landings.

---------------
I discovered a useful trick to help tap/Smash DIing multi-hit attacks sideways. Hold shield and mash 'C' in the desired direction and quarter stick the control stick; Link will DI quickly to the side and Zair back at the opponent as fast as possible. Link must be in the air or he will grab and facing the opponent when hit or the Zair will shoot backwards.

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Lmao, i did not know Scabe was the best Link so far?

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
He IS the best Link on Smashboards.

No contest there.
Lol alright. Anywhoo, i have a tournament tomorrow, and i'm using Link and Samus =D
I played some offline friendlies, and i found myself 3 stocking a friend with Samus XD Potentially thinking my Link could perform the same, i'm foolish enough to do it irl :x

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Me the best Link on Smashboards? Nah, you guys are the best!

Speaking of you guys, who is left? Everyone's slowly fading away me included.

quirkynature

Smash Ace
i found myself 3 stocking a friend with Samus XD
All the best, LP.

BTW, how the hell do you 3-stock somebody with Samus? Isn't that more of a matter of just staying alive until the time ends? Her kill moves are so few it's a wonder she kills. B-air *****, though, when fresh.

Me the best Link on Smashboards
Glad you agree. Now, change the title.

XD

---------------------------------------------

I was Brawling today (because prissy hunters kept dying against Jho and I got really pissed after two hours wasted and nothing to show for it lolhax), and I found that I've started using B-air a lot offensively. SH B-air, U-tilt to B-air, D-throw to B-air, OMG I spam it almost as much as the 'rang.

Also, do you guys ever use U-air? I tried using it against Olimar and he ***** me 34%-136% in eight seconds flat OMG the purple Pikmin hurts. T_T

Scabe

Successful Businessman
U-air's can be a not so often killer, it usually hits people out of their airdodge because of how long it lasts.

What happened to Negi and Zeus?

We should start trying to get these boards back on track.

quirkynature

Smash Ace
U-air's can be a not so often killer, it usually hits people out of their airdodge because of how long it lasts.

You know, that might be it. I'm far too cautious a player to pursue characters as they airdodge. I just sit back and toss a 'rang and let them come to me. Maybe that's why I got *****. I tried fitting in a U-air where it didn't belong. Hmm..

I haven't seen Negi around in a while. Zeus, even longer.

Anybody checked under the carpet?

Pathetic joke is pathetic.

XD

Scabe

Successful Businessman
That joke still gave me a laugh. I'm pretty fond of lame jokes :p

I know I keep saying it, but I will get these boards organised soon, and we'll do it as a community.

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
All the best, LP.

BTW, how the hell do you 3-stock somebody with Samus? Isn't that more of a matter of just staying alive until the time ends? Her kill moves are so few it's a wonder she kills. B-air *****, though, when fresh.
Well, time wasn't on, and i did what i could :3
Friend was Falcon, nonetheless to say i was getting butt ***** up until about 60% when i started retaliating.
Offline play never felt so good.

quirkynature

Smash Ace
That joke still gave me a laugh. I'm pretty fond of lame jokes :p

I know I keep saying it, but I will get these boards organised soon, and we'll do it as a community.
My pleasure.

Let me know how I can help out. I'll start by not making a thread on how to organize.

Lame joke x2.

XD

Offline play never felt so good.
There was a stint in between, when I became a massive fan of the Prime Trilogy, that I just had to learn Samus. Unfortunately, during those 4 weeks or so, all I learnt was that KOing with Samus is a massive pain unless the setup is perfect. My SH was shabby, back then, and the only reliable killer I had with Samus was either F-smash or a FCH. :urg:

Ever try Ike? I alt him and it's immensely satisfying KOing an opponent who keeps chipping up on your percentage and you finish him at about 50% with a well timed F-smash. Especially if it's MK.

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Ever try Ike? I alt him and it's immensely satisfying KOing an opponent who keeps chipping up on your percentage and you finish him at about 50% with a well timed F-smash. Especially if it's MK.
Yes i've played Ike, and i still do play a decent one ^__^
And Fsmash? MK? Are you playing offline lad? rofl.

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
...LV 3 MK...

...Cool sig...

CPUs i used to play a ton. Now i play them a bit too much.
Normally just to Offline play against something when my friends aren't available...

And thanks ^^

Rizen

Smash Legend
Lol alright. Anywhoo, i have a tournament tomorrow, and i'm using Link and Samus =D
I played some offline friendlies, and i found myself 3 stocking a friend with Samus XD Potentially thinking my Link could perform the same, i'm foolish enough to do it irl :x
Good luck!
I'm going to a tourney tomorrow too, all Link. I already have some pre tourney smashfest replays vs DemonicToonLink and other people. I'll post them later.
Me the best Link on Smashboards? Nah, you guys are the best!

Speaking of you guys, who is left? Everyone's slowly fading away me included.

We missed you. Every board is fading on all 3 smash sites I visit. Fading...

We should start trying to get these boards back on track.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
CPUs i used to play a ton. Now i play them a bit too much.
Normally just to Offline play against something when my friends aren't available...
Offline Link is sooo much better. The metagame's very different offline and online too.
After playing wifi for a while I practiced vs Lv9 CPUs to get the feel of offline. The CPU's AI was much smarter than before, they learned from how people played characters on wifi.

quirkynature

Smash Ace
The CPU's AI was much smarter than before, they learned from how people played characters on wifi.
Heck, yeah!

I thought my Link used to be a beast, but, apparently, I leveled up playing MH3 lol. I can two-stock him now. It's hardly easy, but still.

My Snake absolutely sucks, though. He barely uses U-tilt, and I can almost always 3-stock him. FF D-air hits him. WTF? Every other CPU spot-dodges, but not my Snake nooooo he gets hit and at 135%, he gets star KO'd.

:urg:

Rizen and LP: best of luck, tomorrow! **** THEM ALLL!!!!!!

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Title suggestion: Scabe is our great leader! (Link GD)

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
I've played on several Wiis and computers do seem to be different on each Wii. The Wii I used to play Scabe online with actually has the best computers I've ever faced, in particular characters like Link, Wolf, and Peach; I was wondering if it somehow it was transferring data from people like Zxv or Tedeth from Scabe's Wii to my brother's.

Title suggestion: Scabe is our great leader! (Link GD)
Haha, I'd go for it.

I want to go to a Brawl tournament but there's like no Brawl scene in South Carolina. It makes me sad.

Top Bottom